MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a question for everyone; what reason did you decide to pursue an MPH at a different school than where you received your undergraduate degree?
I have the option to stay at UF for one more year (combined degree) and finish my MPH; it's cheaper and quicker, but not as reputable. Thoughts?

I did my undergrad at UF too! I didn’t end up applying for my mph there mostly because I didn’t see myself staying in Gainesville another two years. I also took a three year gap to work in DC and it just didn’t make sense to me to go back to Florida.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious.. any other parents on this thread trying to also make their decision based on education quality for little ones in the neighborhood of their school choice? This is such a complicated puzzle!

I find it very hard to NOT go to Hopkins...but also torn because I loved BU accepted students day. And I am from Boston. Why is this so hard:help:
Hey! Would you tell us why you like the accepted students day so much? I wasn't able to go :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Why won't they tell us about financial aid alreadyyyyyyy :unsure::unsure::unsure:, just wna make a decision and get excited sigh

Reactions: 8 users
So I looked back at my SOPHAS out of sheer desperation, and it looks like Berkeley created a new application for me for the Global Health and Environment track on February 11th. I'm assuming I was denied for HSB and rerouted to Global Health......but I still have heard nothing at all from them since January so this is all just me speculating. Really great communication going on seeing that I was told (for the 3rd week in a row!) that I'd hear back this week.

Last edited:
Hey! Would you tell us why you like the accepted students day so much? I wasn't able to go :/
Of course!
1) One thing I really liked and did not know about was that they require everyone to take a career-prep class to help with job searching, resume work, negotiating salary, etc. (which I'm assuming is why they 92% of grads are employed within 6 months).
2) All faculty have an "open door" policy, and the current students on the panel were very supportive of this.
3) They are offering the 4 core classes (first semester) online for the first time this upcoming Fall.
4) You have a cohort which you meet with once a week and will complete your core classes with. The current students spoke very highly of this and said they are all very good friends with their cohort.
5) They discount your public transportation pass! (very expensive in Boston)
6) There was a certificate fair where you could speak to members of each different certificate program to learn more about the classes and practicum available. I have the info from Epi/Biostats and Pharma Development, Delivery and Access.
7) Everyone who spoke was super enthusiastic about their job and made us feel very welcome and honored.
8) They seemed very helpful when it came to getting into a practicum/helping choose one that would best benefit you.

Overall, a great day and experience! If you want I could somehow send the papers we got while there. Just let me know!

Reactions: 4 users
So I looked back at my SOPHAS out of sheer desperation, and it looks like Berkeley created a new application for me for the Global Health and Environment track on February 11th. I'm assuming I was denied for HSB and rerouted to Global Health......but I still have heard nothing at all from them since January so this is all just me speculating. Really great communication going on seeing that I was told (for the 3rd week in a row!) that I'd hear back this week.

This whole experience you've had with Berkeley is insane and inexcusable, I'm so sorry you've had to go through all of this!

Reactions: 2 users
Haha absolutely loving the SEA representation (and our obsession with food) on here!

@flawedmph & @oxytocin16 : may I ask which dept at Columbia? Was it HPM? Any insights would be great!

I am definitely trying to speak to as many people as possible but each time I so I feel like I get so easily swayed :/ What're your thoughts?

Hi FIVE! I am from SEA too (malaysia). I am undecided between Hopkins and Harvard; both equally good and expansive but Harvard give me money and Hopkins doesnt. The currency exchange is so bad that I need to choose the cheapest option here. Hahah
Have you guys decided?

OH MAN, something one of you just said jogged my memory. Here is another thing I think people might want to consider, and one that I had no idea about before I came here.

Hopkins faculty in the epi department (don't know about the other departments) are all paid by "soft money", meaning they're mostly funded by grants, with a small stipend for teaching from Hopkins. ("Hard money" is if they got paid their whole salary by Hopkins itself.)

What this means for you is that no teachers in the epi department hold office hours for their classes, and in general, classes rely more heavily on TAs to answer student questions than you might be used to from undergrad.

Caveats:
1. You can obviously set up office hours with the teacher by email if you need them; it's just not an open door thing like in college.
2. I have not had any problems learning under this system.
3. For most core classes, the school has a tutoring team, as well.

I also don't know if this is the case at other schools; this might be true of every graduate school ever. But I just wanted to let you know because it surprised me when I first got here (although I'm used to it now).

Reactions: 3 users
Are there any threads around to talk about how admitted students days have gone and how people have felt about them? I'm just asking because I was really not impressed by Columbia's admitted students day, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what it was that turned me off. I got a really weird vibe there, and it felt kind of business-y? I thought it was just me, but I talked to someone else who went this year and two people who went either last year or the year before who felt the same way. I loved JHU's accepted students day and was super won over by it, but unfortunately they gave me all loans so I'm kind of unsure of what to do.

Are there any threads around to talk about how admitted students days have gone and how people have felt about them? I'm just asking because I was really not impressed by Columbia's admitted students day, but it's hard for me to put my finger on what it was that turned me off. I got a really weird vibe there, and it felt kind of business-y? I thought it was just me, but I talked to someone else who went this year and two people who went either last year or the year before who felt the same way. I loved JHU's accepted students day and was super won over by it, but unfortunately they gave me all loans so I'm kind of unsure of what to do.

I feel the same way- I was not impressed by Columbia's admitted students day either; by the end I still did not learn much about the school's impact. Meanwhile, I felt so inspired at JHU's admitted students day!

Reactions: 1 user
I am really getting over how I think about two schools and then switch to another combo of schools the next day!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone start a thread between Columbia & JHU? For some reason I can't start one.

I'd love to hear more about your experiences with admitted student days and experiences otherwise. E.g. the vibe at Columbia - can you elaborate on business-y? @transatlantique @oxytocin16

I will be attending both as well but want to attend in order to confirm a decision rather than make one.

If someome could start a thread that would great - or pls feel free to DM me to discuss because I am extremely torn.

Thank you!

Does anybody know whether we can waive the health insurance fees by purchasing private insurance? In Yale, they charge 9000$ for f1-f2 students per year!! I’m really shocked!

Of course!
1) One thing I really liked and did not know about was that they require everyone to take a career-prep class to help with job searching, resume work, negotiating salary, etc. (which I'm assuming is why they 92% of grads are employed within 6 months).
2) All faculty have an "open door" policy, and the current students on the panel were very supportive of this.
3) They are offering the 4 core classes (first semester) online for the first time this upcoming Fall.
4) You have a cohort which you meet with once a week and will complete your core classes with. The current students spoke very highly of this and said they are all very good friends with their cohort.
6) There was a certificate fair where you could speak to members of each different certificate program to learn more about the classes and practicum available. I have the info from Epi/Biostats and Pharma Development, Delivery and Access.
7) Everyone who spoke was super enthusiastic about their job and made us feel very welcome and honored.
8) They seemed very helpful when it came to getting into a practicum/helping choose one that would best benefit you.

Overall, a great day and experience! If you want I could somehow send the papers we got while there. Just let me know!
Hey! I'd love to hear more about your thoughts/what you learned since BU is the school I'm most leaning towards right now. Would you mind chatting with me/sending those papers over somehow? :)

Alrighty all, it's official. I will be attending the Johns Hopkins full-time MPH program! It feels right and I am so excited!

Reactions: 25 users
Of course!

Just have to throw this out there- Boston has the cheapest public transit pass of any other city I have seen. WAY cheaper than DC public transit.

I just wanted to throw this out there for any folks considering a Boston school- I've lived in Boston for 6 years now and I know most of the true ins and outs. If anyone has any questions/concerns/anything about living in Boston, I'm happy to chat with you!

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone received their aid from Hopkins MSPH?

I made the decision! I will attend Yale, for the MS program in Chronic Disease Epidemiology :)

Reactions: 20 users
Can anyone that has attended or will attend UCLA message me? I have a few questions about GRA's and decision making and would love to talk to someone in the same boat or knows more about the school. Thank you. :)

I just wanted to throw this out there for any folks considering a Boston school- I've lived in Boston for 6 years now and I know most of the true ins and outs. If anyone has any questions/concerns/anything about living in Boston, I'm happy to chat with you!

Hello,

Ill be coming to Boston in July. How is the living cost there ya? Rental? Food?
Any fun activities around? Transportation?
Thanks for your kind reply.

For those of you who are have attended Visit Emory for admitted students, how essential was this for making your decision? There is a large chance that I wont be able to go because I had to leave work unexpectedly the past two weeks and can't get more time off :( I feel like I'm going to make a blind decision if I don't visit Emory but I'm also hoping I get the information I need from other students who have gone!

Also, has anyone heard back from Emory's Supplemental Institutional Award App?

Has anyone received their aid from Hopkins MSPH?
If I had a dollar for every time i've checked their financial aid report page, i'd have enough money to go there

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Of course!

Thank you so much! The papers would be great too! Can you post them here?

For those of you who are have attended Visit Emory for admitted students, how essential was this for making your decision? There is a large chance that I wont be able to go because I had to leave work unexpectedly the past two weeks and can't get more time off :( I feel like I'm going to make a blind decision if I don't visit Emory but I'm also hoping I get the information I need from other students who have gone!

I applied but haven't heard back. They said they wouldn't start even reviewing apps until mid to late March.

The waiting continues...

I applied but haven't heard back. They said they wouldn't start even reviewing apps until mid to late March.

The waiting continues...
I still haven't received financial aid/loan package from Emory... the waiting continues.... wow

I made the decision! I will attend Yale, for the MS program in Chronic Disease Epidemiology :)

Congrats on committing! I'm sure yours wasn't the most easy decision to make, you were in at great schools!

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you navigating the finances bit? Has Yale been generous to you?

The waiting continues...

I still haven't received financial aid/loan package from Emory... the waiting continues.... wow
I'm in the same boat. Still waiting for the financial aid package as well. Hopefully we hear something by the end this week!

Just heard back from Columbia for Accelerated MPH :banana:

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats on committing! I'm sure yours wasn't the most easy decision to make, you were in at great schools!

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how are you navigating the finances bit? Has Yale been generous to you?
Thanks for your Congrats. It was a very tough decision, but No, they weren’t generous! I didn't succeed in getting Financial Aids from Yale!

As @wwmmkk recommended, I made an Excel spreadsheet, and I strived to be unbiased. If I wanted to be ambitious I should go to Harvard, while my heart was beating for UMN, ranking was pushing me to Hopkins, and UCLA as well as GW were attracting me by their generosity in financial aids! But in the end, Yale won the battle in the Excel competition! :)

***For those who are interested in Yale, especially its MS program, I’m gonna list its Pros and Cons from my viewpoint:

Pros:

1- The Chronic Disease Epi MS program is a 1-year program=> 9 months living expenses instead of 21 months + lower tuition (43k) (Although these kinds of programs are not generally recommended, due to my financial limitations It was an advantage for me)

2- Small student body and class size= better opportunities for making close connections with professors.

3-Relative affordability of New Haven compared to Boston, LA, and NY.

4-Great geographical location with easy access to NY and Boston.

5-Reputation of Yale as an Ivy-league, regardless of its newly released 15th rank in Public Health! (As an international student, in terms of the success for obtaining a student visa, the Name of school helps more than its subject rank in convincing the US embassy officer!)

6-I talked with 3 current students in Yale, and all of them were satisfied and HAPPY!

7-A great knowledgable and responsive Administrative Director! It may seem weird but it was important for me, because they are the main persons between the programs and us. Everytime I send an email, she responds well in less than 2 hours in office time!

8-Specific focus of the program on Chronic Disease Epi (I’m not interested in Infectious Epi at all!)

9-Although I’m not completely sure that I want to continue in clinical medicine after graduation, Yale has a greater chance for an International Medical Graduate to be Matched in Internal Medicine residency compared to Harvard, UCLA, and even UMN.

10-And of course, Delicious Pizzas of New Haven :)

Cons:

1-Small alumni network
2-Limited available courses
3-Strict and limited curriculum with only 7 required courses and 3 electives
4-Lower number and diversity of research centers compared to Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Emory, and some other schools.
5-High crime rate of New Haven
6-Limitations of local job opportunities compared to Boston, Minneapolis, and NY.
7-High price of Yale Health Insurance! (2.5 k for singles and 9.3 k for married students!) > I’m searching for private insurance as an alternative for waiving!
8-Being out of SOPHAS! (MS and PhDs only)
9- Insufficiency of financial aids

Last edited:
Thank you so much! The papers would be great too! Can you post them here?

Here you go! I have specific pages from the Epi/Biostats and Pharma certificates if anyone is interested in those.

Attachments

• BU paperwork2.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 89
Just have to throw this out there- Boston has the cheapest public transit pass of any other city I have seen. WAY cheaper than DC public transit.
Not the most expensive city but also definitely not the cheapest! Just thought it was nice that the school covers a portion.

Thank you so much for this! :claps:I'm basically debating between BU, GWU, and Yale at this point. BU is a mystery to me, I haven't had a chance to visit and don't have much of a feel for the program (other than its ranking). GWU gave me a full ride basically and I love DC; I will write a summary of my experience at admitted students day after this weekend. And, the more I learn about Yale the more it grows on me, I think it's the best fit for my interests and goals. I have no memory of Yale other than the best pizza experience ever from like a decade ago, so I'll have to feel it out a bit more when I visit.

You're welcome! If you have any specific questions about BU I can try to answer them. Congrats on the funding for GWU, that is amazing! I don't know much about that program and would love to hear about your experience because I can unfortunately not make it this weekend. I also don't know much about Yale other than the fact that it is a great school and I've heard numerous people talk about the pizza.. which is important!

To answer your question, I would say Visit Emory was a pretty significant factor in my decision last year. Even before I went, I knew that I would choose Emory because it has been my top choice for years, but actually stepping onto campus and getting a feel for the student life as well as the overall campus vibe solidified my decision! The presentation by the faculty, staff, and current students were impressive as well as the explanation of the Career Center office and how helpful they are to every single one of their students as well as alumni. Everything made my choice easier. I would suggest messaging your department's chair and professors to get an idea of the academics and research opportunities that will be available, and messaging current students in your program! I've been talking to quite a few current students and they all have been really helpful and willing to answer all of my questions really well which has made me more excited to start school this fall!

I know it seems weird for me to attend Visit Emory again this year (deferred to this fall) but I want to further explore the research opportunities and social clubs/organizations that will be available this fall, as well as meet other admitted students in my cohort! :D

Last edited:
Is anyone deciding between Michigan, GW, Columbia and Hopkins? I received equal scholarships from Michigan and GW and half the amount from Columbia (still haven't heard back from Hopkins). I applied to mainly epidemiology/global epi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to apply to medical school after, not sure if that is important when considering MPH/MSPH.

Thank you so much for this! :claps:I'm basically debating between BU, GWU, and Yale at this point. BU is a mystery to me, I haven't had a chance to visit and don't have much of a feel for the program (other than its ranking). GWU gave me a full ride basically and I love DC; I will write a summary of my experience at admitted students day after this weekend. And, the more I learn about Yale the more it grows on me, I think it's the best fit for my interests and goals. I have no memory of Yale other than the best pizza experience ever from like a decade ago, so I'll have to feel it out a bit more when I visit.

I would take US News rankings with a grain of salt as they involved research dollars and other metrics, and not necessarily unmeasured factors important to students such as tuition cost and how comprehensive the curriculum is. Bear in mind that US News ranks A LOT of academic programs, even programs where the institution where you got the degree isn't a super big deal they still rank them because that is what US News does, they rank everything because that is their business. I don't think that Tulane should be ranked below BU personally, rankings can be arbitrary. You wouldn't look at US News Top 20 for buying cars and sweat it out over 10th place versus 15th place if you really like the 15th place car versus the 10th place car.

Schools like BU might recruit candidates with a broader background and stronger academic record as in the past students are teaching students, possibly without a lot of teaching done by faculty. A great advantage of GW is that they are in Washington DC and you'll have access to a ton of headquarters of NGOs and other unique opportunities, BU isn't a major leader in global health, and the school doesn't have well-defined or recognized academic centers of excellence, just known for being "solid" all around. Boston is becoming oversaturated as a public health job market, another fact not reflected in rankings and there is a bias for schools like BU that operate in urban areas over-saturated with public health schools where local schools submit favorable rankings for school they have heard of in their region. Tulane is world recognized more than BU, but because the school is in LA you won't have a lot of people taking the time to fill out surveys.

In terms of an equitable and friendly learning atmosphere and student diversity in public health schools, BU would rank near the bottom.

Is anyone deciding between Michigan, GW, Columbia and Hopkins? I received equal scholarships from Michigan and GW and half the amount from Columbia (still haven't heard back from Hopkins). I applied to mainly epidemiology/global epi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to apply to medical school after, not sure if that is important when considering MPH/MSPH.

These are all good schools, I would seriously look at the tuition, research interests, and opportunities for extra work/projects during your time as an MPH student in order to narrow it down. Columbia is good, but very expensive.

Thanks for your Congrats. It was a very tough decision, but No, they weren’t generous! I didn't succeed in getting Financial Aids from Yale!

As @wwmmkk recommended, I made an Excel spreadsheet, and I strived to be unbiased. If I wanted to be ambitious I should go to Harvard, while my heart was beating for UMN, ranking was pushing me to Hopkins, and UCLA as well as GW were attracting me by their generosity in financial aids! But in the end, Yale won the battle in the Excel competition! :)

***For those who are interested in Yale, especially its MS program, I’m gonna list its Pros and Cons from my viewpoint:

Pros:

1- The Chronic Disease Epi MS program is a 1-year program=> 9 months living expenses instead of 21 months + lower tuition (43k) (Although these kinds of programs are not generally recommended, due to my financial limitations It was an advantage for me)

2- Small student body and class size= better opportunities for making close connections with professors.

3-Relative affordability of New Haven compared to Boston, LA, and NY.

4-Great geographical location with easy access to NY and Boston.

5-Reputation of Yale as an Ivy-league, regardless of its newly released 15th rank in Public Health! (As an international student, in terms of the success for obtaining a student visa, the Name of school helps more than its subject rank in convincing the US embassy officer!)

6-I talked with 3 current students in Yale, and all of them were satisfied and HAPPY!

7-A great knowledgable and responsive Administrative Director! It may seem weird but it was important for me, because they are the main persons between the programs and us. Everytime I send an email, she responds well in less than 2 hours in office time!

8-Specific focus of the program on Chronic Disease Epi (I’m not interested in Infectious Epi at all!)

9-Although I’m not completely sure that I want to continue in clinical medicine after graduation, Yale has a greater chance for an International Medical Graduate to be Matched in Internal Medicine residency compared to Harvard, UCLA, and even UMN.

10-And of course, Delicious Pizzas of New Haven :)

Cons:

1-Small alumni network
2-Limited available courses
3-Strict and limited curriculum with only 7 required courses and 3 electives
4-Lower number and diversity of research centers compared to Hopkins, Harvard, UNC, Emory, and some other schools.
5-High crime rate of New Haven
6-Limitations of local job opportunities compared to Boston, Minneapolis, and NY.
7-High price of Yale Health Insurance! (2.5 k for singles and 9.3 k for married students!) > I’m searching for private insurance as an alternative for waiving!
8-Being out of SOPHAS! (MS and PhDs only)
9- Insufficiency of financial aids

Congrats on making a decision and listing out the reasons for the rest of us! I have a question about getting into residency. Why is Yale a better option versus the other unis, in terms of getting into residency after graduation?

Congrats on making a decision and listing out the reasons for the rest of us! I have a question about getting into residency. Why is Yale a better option versus the other unis, in terms of getting into residency after graduation?
I should declare that this statement is almost limited to Internal Medicine residency programs and IMGs. Harvard, Hopkins, Emory, UCLA, UofMich, Columbia, and the majority of other renowned Universities set their cut-offs and filters in a way that international medical graduates do not have a great chance for getting in! Yale is one of few top university programs which are IMG-Friendly. This fact is based on Statistics originated from FREIDA and NRMP outcome charts.
If this problem didn't exist, Harvard would be my first choice!
Among my 14 admitted programs, only Yale, Icahn, OSU, and UMN have a number of IMGs among their IM residents.

Last edited:
Hey guys, stumbled upon this on youtube . The footage from JHU Visitor's Day in March!

Hey yall, I am on a few waitlists for medical school for the current cycle and was looking at possibly applying to some masters programs as a backup plan for next year (John Hopkins MHS is one in specific). I know I am a bit late to the game. I was doing some research and saw that several programs are still a bit away from there deadlines. I was wondering if it's worth it to apply? I know the deadlines haven't passed yet, but is it similar to med school admissions where the deadlines don't really matter and you won't really have a chance unless you apply really early?

Stats : 3.38 GPA / 515 MCAT

Last edited:
I should declare that this statement is almost limited to Internal Medicine residency programs and IMGs. Harvard, Hopkins, Emory, UCLA, UofMich, Columbia, and the majority of other renowned Universities set their cut-offs and filters in a way that international medical graduates do not have a great chance for getting in! Yale is one of few top university programs which are IMG-Friendly. This fact is based on Statistics originated from FREIDA and NRMP outcome charts.
If this problem didn't exist, Harvard would be my first choice!
Among my 14 admitted programs, only Yale, Icahn, OSU, and UMN have a number of IMGs among their IM residents.

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Im planning to get into residency too but i want to do Neurosurgery. I choose Harvard because i know someone there and they gave me money. As IMG, money and connection are important I guess. Eventho, there is no chance for me to get into their problem but i guess the connection there might help,

Thank you for sharing, its nice to see someone going through the same journey. All the best!