MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone else find the exact date on last year's forum and read all the messages and stats? I don't know why, but I find it really comforting to know that other people were once this weird combination of both stressed and excited, and that they all got into great programs and are currently pursuing an MPH/MSPH/MS. My favorite is seeing someone who is nervous about not getting into a certain school, and then seeing on their signature that they got accepted within the week. Just warms my heart a little bit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
when you get an email from admissions, literally jump and then open it and find out it's just about the curriculum...

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to University of Minnesota for MS biostats! (1/21)
(I sent them an email last Friday because I was wondering if they had an application portal, and today I got the acceptance email!)
Where did you apply? I am also applying as a MS Biostatistics and still waiting!

Patiently waiting to hear back from MPH in Epi from Emory and MHS in Epi from Hopkins. Rethinking every decision I made on my app and not doing well enough on the GRE. Wooooo anxiety!

Reactions: 3 users
Patiently waiting to hear back from MPH in Epi from Emory and MHS in Epi from Hopkins. Rethinking every decision I made on my app and not doing well enough on the GRE. Wooooo anxiety!
Haha I feel the same!

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my app to UMich in SOPHAS on 11/30 and it was verified on 12/4. The Friend portal has my application date as being 12/4, but my GRE scores came in later, so the app wasn't considered complete until 1/10. Does anyone know if they would've started reviewing prior to that or if I would only go under consideration after 1/10?

Got into UNC for the health equity, social justice, and human rights concentration! (found out through the portal).

Reactions: 11 users
In at Boston Health Policy and Law with 35% tuition waiver!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted at BU for epi with 35% off tuition!

Reactions: 12 users

Feeling the same way! Anxiety is a beast, but you got this. Sending you good vibes :)

Reactions: 2 users
Got into Boston for epi with a tuition scholarship!!

Last edited:
for anyone asking about hopkins- they actually emailed me today and asked me to send an updated transcript to "fully assess my application" whatever that means! (international health, btw.)

Reactions: 1 users
Undergrad: University of California, Berkeley
Major/minor: Public Health/Global Poverty and Practice
GPA: 3.6/4.0 (Overall)

Applied: Columbia, GWU, BU, UC Berkeley, Yale, UNC, Emory
Accepted: GWU+16K, BU + $ 35% of tuition, UNC, Columbia, Emory, Yale + $48k scholarship
Attending: TBD

Last edited:
Strongly considering submitting my deposit to Yale... :thinking:

Kind of want to get it over with and also start applying for outside scholarships. At this point I don't really think I would choose another school even if they offered me a competitive financial aid package. Is this a terrible idea lol
How many schools are you still waiting to hear back from? Do you feel as strongly about any of them as you do about Yale?

Hi guys. congrats to everyone who is getting good news these past few weeks.. I applied for JHU Full time 11 months Mph program and waiting to hear back. Can anyone tell me how long it could take for the dept to review my application? I submitted it and received a confirmation email on December 7th 2019. Also, is interview a part of the application process for them? Thanks so much :)

Last edited:
Also realized I should do this officially:

Undergrad: UIC
Major/minor: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.2/4.0 (Overall)
GRE: 157 V, 153 Q, 5.0 AWA

LOR: two PIs I worked with and a grad student I worked very closely with

Experience
- 4 years as an undergrad RA in neuropsych lab (ran participants, recruiting, analysis)
- presented 10 posters at conferences (local and national) and on 10 more of other lab members
- on 3 published journal articles (2nd or 3rd author) and on a few other in production
- writing first-author paper (on neurobiological and psychosocial predictors of suicide)
- Planned Parenthood volunteer and lobbyist
- 250+ hours in NICU and general hospital volunteering
- worked as a Behavioral Technician with child with neurodevelopment disorders and Autism Spectrum

Applied: Hopkins (MHS EPI), BU (MPH EPI), Emory (MPH EPI)
Accepted: TBA
Attending: TBA

Reactions: 5 users
LOL I hit the button! I paid the money! I'm going to Yale next year! :love:

• Love
Reactions: 30 users
when you get an email from admissions, literally jump and then open it and find out it's just about the curriculum...
Literally just happened to me with GWU except it was an invitation to a webinar :dead:

Just got accepted to University of Minnesota for MS biostats! (1/21)
(I sent them an email last Friday because I was wondering if they had an application portal, and today I got the acceptance email!)

I'm still waiting for them :( :(
Keeping the faith.

Congrats! What time? I'm still waiting...
My application was completed on nov 23rd (SOPHAS). I got an application confirmation from BU on Nov 26th and received the admission offer today around 12 pm MST!

My application was completed on nov 23rd (SOPHAS). I got an application confirmation from BU on Nov 26th and received the admission offer today around 12 pm MST!
Thank you!! I got my application confirmation from BU on Nov 27th haha. Just need to be patient I guess

Applied: Columbia, GWU, BU, UC Berkeley, Yale, UNC
Accepted: GWU+16K, BU + $ 35% of tuition, UNC
Congrats! How did you hear about scholarship $ for GWU? Only heard on acceptances a few weeks ago but not sure how persistent I need to be to admissions

Thank you!! I got my application confirmation from BU on Nov 27th haha. Just need to be patient I guess
Hehe I wasn’t expecting replies from BU until Feb! You will probably hear back very soon!

How long does it take to hear back from Hopkins about scholarships (full-time MPH)?

Denied from Emory for Global Health. Not a shock since I have basically no experience and am a very average applicant (just thought I’d shoot my shot lol) but luckily have already pretty much made a decision to go to USF as I couldn’t afford Emory anyways. My application now says under review for my second choice at Emory but the decision letter was just a generic one and didn’t even say global health so not sure if I should take this as a total denial for all my choices or not lol. Kind of stinks i’ll have to be denied 3 times tho!(also didn’t receive an email I just checked opus). Congrats to everyone admitted!!

No worries, USF is one of the best, if not the best, public health school in Florida, and though I don't put much into rankings, USF is ranked well nationally. If you go to USF to learn as much public health as possible, and network well, you'll probably come out in a great position versus going to a super expensive school in a saturated public health market, like NY or Boston, and not getting everything out of it you want and having to compete with other schools in a small geographic area. Public health is very regional in terms of issues affecting various smaller populations differently, the US is NOT homogenous. Great thing about USF is that you don't need to freeze during winter, and you can travel up the eastern seaboard to conferences and other schools.

Congrats to everyone who has received great news these past few weeks! I wanted to ask if anyone is choosing to defer their acceptance. Does anyone know if deferrals are often accepted? I recently received news of an amazing job offer, along with an unexpected acceptance offer from Yale who also has offered me a scholarship, which I am beyond happy and grateful for. It would be the best of both worlds if I am able to accept the job offer for this coming year and defer my enrollment to Fall 2021. Not only would this allow me to take up on an amazing opportunity I am passionate about, it will also help my financial situation. Is this excuse valid for schools? Also, if I were to defer, will I still be able to keep the scholarship for when I enrol in 2021?

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who has received great news these past few weeks! I wanted to ask if anyone is choosing to defer their acceptance. Does anyone know if deferrals are often accepted? I recently received news of an amazing job offer, along with an unexpected acceptance offer from Yale who also has offered me a scholarship, which I am beyond happy and grateful for. It would be the best of both worlds if I am able to accept the job offer for this coming year and defer my enrollment to Fall 2021. Not only would this allow me to take up on an amazing opportunity I am passionate about, it will also help my financial situation. Is this excuse valid for schools? Also, if I were to defer, will I still be able to keep the scholarship for when I enrol in 2021?

I sent you a pm so check it out!

Hi guys. congrats to everyone who is getting good news these past few weeks.. I applied for JHU Full time 11 months Mph program and waiting to hear back. Can anyone tell me how long it could take for the dept to review my application? I submitted it and received a confirmation email on December 7th 2019. Also, is interview a part of the application process for them? Thanks so much :)
It depends, I guess. Mine took approximately 5 weeks. As for the interview, the answer is NO.

How long does it take to hear back from Hopkins about scholarships (full-time MPH)?
Did you get into their MPH program? I am also waiting to hear from them regarding scholarship. Please let me know if you hear anything about it.

When did you find out about the scholarship from GWU. I was accepted into GHEDC there a couple of days ago. Thanks in advance.

Applied: Columbia, GWU, BU, UC Berkeley, Yale, UNC
Accepted: GWU+16K, BU + $ 35% of tuition, UNC

Hi all! Anyone who applied around November for the full time MPH still waiting to hear back from JHU? My application has been marked sent for review since 20th November
Mine was sent for review on December 13th, and I heard back from them on January 16th. Good luck!

Just got in to Johns Hopkins full-time accelerated MPH. I received an email.
I applied 11/30, under review 12/5, and I’m an international MD.

So don’t worry too much if you haven’t received anything yet.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got in to Johns Hopkins full-time accelerated MPH. I received an email.
I applied 11/30, under review 12/5, and I’m an international MD.

So don’t worry too much if you haven’t received anything yet.

Good luck to everyone!
Congrats!