MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also realized I should do this officially:

Undergrad: UIC
Major/minor: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.2/4.0 (Overall)
GRE: 157 V, 153 Q, 5.0 AWA

LOR: two PIs I worked with and a grad student I worked very closely with

Experience
- 4 years as an undergrad RA in neuropsych lab (ran participants, recruiting, analysis)
- presented 10 posters at conferences (local and national) and on 10 more of other lab members
- on 3 published journal articles (2nd or 3rd author) and on a few other in production
- writing first-author paper (on neurobiological and psychosocial predictors of suicide)
- Planned Parenthood volunteer and lobbyist
- 250+ hours in NICU and general hospital volunteering
- worked as a Behavioral Technician with child with neurodevelopment disorders and Autism Spectrum

Applied: Hopkins (MHS EPI), BU (MPH EPI), Emory (MPH EPI)
Accepted: TBA
Attending: TBA
Which Epidemiology track did you apply to at Johns Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

Still in shock...received a 48k Horstmann scholarship from Yale! Definitely will have to give some serious consideration now

Reactions: 20 users
Which Epidemiology track did you apply to at Johns Hopkins?
MHS in General Epi. And then I spoke to admissions about applying to a MCH certificate as well. They also informed me last summer that it's a 50% acceptance rate for the Epi programs... fingers crossed my research outweighs my scores lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! How did you hear about scholarship $ for GWU? Only heard on acceptances a few weeks ago but not sure how persistent I need to be to admissions
I got my letter from GWU early december so its been a while. I got my scholarship letter few days after my acceptance letter.

MHS in General Epi. And then I spoke to admissions about applying to a MCH certificate as well. They also informed me last summer that it's a 50% acceptance rate for the Epi programs... fingers crossed my research outweighs my scores lol.
Great! I was between that and Cardiovascular and clinical Epidemiology but I opted for the latter in the end. I think you are allowed to change it before you write the department examinations at the end of the first year anyways. I am still waiting for other schools responses but I have pretty much made my decision by now so I will hopefully see you in August! :)

Hi all! Anyone who applied around November for the full time MPH still waiting to hear back from JHU? My application has been marked sent for review since 20th November
I applied at the end of November . Sent for review around 12/7. I emailed them and they said its under review. From last year’s forum thread, it seems like they can send out decisions anytime between late January and Early March. Some even got accepted on 03/01 but some got their letters as early as 01/31. I guess it depends on the review committee meeting frequency .

Me! Full-time schoolwide MPH, so the accelerated program.
Checked the portal yesterday and still under review. Although I’m international and it seems we always get our decision letters rather late...
Keep us posted @GlobalOrthoLover. Also just a question — when you say its under review on the JHU personal site - do you see that it is under reveiw on the home page or you just see some information to visit their campus and contact info for the admissions office ?

Great! I was between that and Cardiovascular and clinical Epidemiology but I opted for the latter in the end. I think you are allowed to change it before you write the department examinations at the end of the first year anyways. I am still waiting for other schools responses but I have pretty much made my decision by now so I will hopefully see you in August! :)
Wooo!!! I’ll keep you updated with my app

Keep us posted @GlobalOrthoLover. Also just a question — when you say its under review on the JHU personal site - do you see that it is under reveiw on the home page or you just see some information to visit their campus and contact info for the admissions office ?

Hey! I actually received my acceptance letter earlier today. So don’t lose hope :). I was in class and just randomly checked my email and there it was.

Anyways, in the portal you should have a tab on the left saying something like “application info” or “application status”. If you click on this, you’ll be asked to login. After logging in, you should see: “application sent for review”.

I cannot sent you a screenshot unfortunately, since my portal changed after the acceptance.

Apparently notification emails can have a delay of 24-48 hours after your portal has already been updated with the decision.

Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Does anyone know when Columbia might send out acceptances for applications that were submitted by the "regular" deadline (1/15), as opposed to after the priority (12/1) deadline? My application was sent into the admissions committee on 1/3 so I'm just curious if the earlier deadline folks will hear back sooner? :) Thanks for your input in advance!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Admitted to Emory HPM! But it won't let me view my admission letter on the portal :(

EDIT: Letter loads now, yay!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Admitted to Emory HPM! But it won't let me view my admission letter on the portal :(
I was just admitted for HPM too! My portal changed to admitted but it says "No Letter Found", I'm sure it's just a lag and will be there soon. Congrats!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Admitted for Emory BSHE!! Submitted 10/30, routed for review 12/13

Reactions: 10 users
Admitted to Emory for the Biostatistics MPH program! Submitted 12/13, routed for review 12/20, received 50% Merit Scholarship 2/11

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Does anyone know when Emory's scholarship/financial aid packages are released?

Anyone hear back from Columbia yet? Am I the only one frantically refreshing my email this morning ? :shifty:

Reactions: 10 users
did anybody hear anything from Yale today? It's Thursday again...

I'm guessing columbia may not come out today? Last yrs thread showed people getting their acceptances around 8 AM ET.

Reactions: 4 users
Still no word from Columbia on my end as well. Someone in this thread was told by a rep that decisions would not be coming out until early Feb. However, it seems like the last several years they have been late January??

Still no word from Columbia on my end as well. Someone in this thread was told by a rep that decisions would not be coming out until early Feb. However, it seems like the last several years they have been late January??
true, but a lot of people from last year only heard in February or even end of March so I am not getting my hopes too high for today :)

I received conflicting information from two reps last Wednesday (the 15th): one said "late-January to early-February" and another said "over the next week" meaning this week so I don't know what to think.

Reactions: 3 users
I received conflicting information from two reps last Wednesday (the 15th): one said "late-January to early-February" and another said "over the next week" meaning this week so I don't know what to think.

This was sent to me by Columbia on 1/9: “We’ve enjoyed getting to know you through your application and hope you will receive an official decision later this month.”

So to my understanding, they clearly aimed for having decisions out late January. But January still counts 6,5 working days, so maybe we shouldn’t focus too much on today because of previous threads.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm still hoping for today because in the "This is Public Health" virtual chatroom, Columbia reps said decisions would be out before the end of the month:nailbiting:

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected from Yale. A little disappointed but not overly surprised as people had been getting accepted and my application was with them for over 2 months... oh well!

This was sent to me by Columbia on 1/9: “We’ve enjoyed getting to know you through your application and hope you will receive an official decision later this month.”

So to my understanding, they clearly aimed for having decisions out late January. But January still counts 6,5 working days, so maybe we shouldn’t focus too much on today because of previous threads.

I received an email from this morning saying: "admissions decisions have not yet been released but are expected to within the upcoming weeks".

Reactions: 9 users
Ohh I am getting so impatient to hear back.. I am in a constant state of panic on Thursdays :(. Do you think they send all answers at the same time on Thursdays?

BU is rolling admissions right? I saw some people heard back on Tuesday -- people who heard back, do you mind me asking when you applied?

I received an email from this morning saying: "admissions decisions have not yet been released but are expected to within the upcoming weeks".
Thanks for the heads up! I haven’t gotten any email updates from Columbia since the initial “we have received your application” email... should I be concerned?

Reactions: 3 users