MPH 2020: Applied, Accepted, Rejected, Waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were you accepted last Thursday? I'm still waiting too!
Yep! Tempted to email them just to explicitly ask whether I'm being considered for scholarships :p

Members don't see this ad.

Yep! Tempted to email them just to explicitly ask whether I'm being considered for scholarships :p

Let me know if they let you know anything! I'm wondering if the weekend counts as being within those 10 days we're supposed to hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who have received offers! Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I'm getting nervous as I haven't heard from any programs yet, and lots of people have been getting offers from Departments I applied to. I know I applied relatively late in the cycle (right on the Priority Deadlines) so I wanted to get an idea of whether it is concerning I haven't heard back, whether the programs I've applied for are realistic, and about anyone else's experience applying for the Advanced/Accelerated programs. I specifically chose programs which are one year, due to the arrangement with my scholarship and my workplace here in Australia (who have given me a year off and a guaranteed job when I get back after a year).

Undergraduate School: International medical school (Aus)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 4.0 (WES verified)
Major/Minor: Medicine, graduated with Distinction
Grad studies (if applicable): My bachelors (Bachelor of Medicine) in Aus is equivalent to a US MD
GRE (including date taken): 11/12 164V (94%) | 168Q (93%) | 5.0W (92%)

Experience/research:
- Already have $45KUSD/$70KAUD scholarship to undertake Masters program at any overseas university by General Sir John Monash Foundation
- 2 years as a doctor, working full time rotating through various areas
- 2 years on National Youth Advisory Council for Youth Mental Health, advising on policy, youth participation, program design, advocacy and organisational strategy to do with youth mental health, spoke at Youth Mental Health Conference, co-convened Youth Participation conference (this was concurrent with working full-time/studying full-time)
- Board of Directors for a local youth suicide prevention charity
- Board of Directors for the national medical student association, have had various advocacy and leadership roles in same org (total involvement over 7yrs)
- Australian Delegate to Girls20 Summit (2016)
- Attended World Health Assembly and UN, as medical student delegate
- I'm really aware that I have done more advocacy, volunteering and have a clear dearth of research

Letters of rec: Academic Dean from Medical School, Director of Residency Training at my Hospital, Executive Director of National Youth Mental Health Organisation where I did my advisory work, CEO of Foundation that is funding me
Interested in: Youth and adolescent health, obesity prevention, youth health promotion, community-based health interventions

Applied: Johns Hopkins Schoolwide (12/1), Harvard 45-Unit MPH Health and Social Behaviour (12/1), Yale Advanced Professional MPH Sociobehavioural Sciences (12/15), Columbia Accelerated MPH Sociobehavioural Sciences (12/2), Emory Accelerated HCM (01/6)
Accepted: TBA
Rejected:
Attending:

I'd really appreciate any advice/insight or feedback!

Those are really impressive stats, and I don’t think you’ll have to worry much. Just a quick question, were you in the 2014 IFMSA delegation to WHA? Because I think we attended together

Either way, I haven’t heard back from any schools either and more or less applied for the same programs. What I’ve heard from previous int’l applicants who got accepted (mainly to Hopkins, some Harvard), none heard back before mid-Feb.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Did Emory send emails out last night, or did everyone find out through an OPUS update? Congratulations to everyone who was accepted!!

Just out of curiosity, what was the acceptance rate at Yale for MPH? Roughly.

Saaaaaaame. I applied global epi and haven’t heard. Hopefully they just haven’t gotten to those yet and it’s not that we didn’t get it!

I just checked your stats (which are amazing btw) and it looks like we have some similar interests! :highfive: Have you heard anything from GW for GHEDC? Their email said I was supposed to hear back in 3-6 weeks but today is the end of the 7th so I’m not sure whether I should reach out to them.

Isn’t BU supposed to start giving their replies today?

I'd be really excited if that's the case but according to some people in the forum a few days ago, they started reviewing Fall 20' applicants just this past Wednesday -- anyone correct me if I'm wrong though!

Just out of curiosity, what was the acceptance rate at Yale for MPH? Roughly.

not sure if precise data is out there. I also believe that different concentrations are more or less competitive than the next.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an acceptance from NYU CGPH - Health Policy and Management w/$18K.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd be really excited if that's the case but according to some people in the forum a few days ago, they started reviewing Fall 20' applicants just this past Wednesday -- anyone correct me if I'm wrong though!
That's what the director of admissions said when I met with her on Tuesday. She said they review them in batches each week and will release decisions each Friday (or following Monday). On one hand I believe her because she literally runs the admission team but on the other hand I feel like I've been tricked before with these decision dates lol. But fingers crossed for today!

Just got accepted to University of Minnesota MPH in Epidemiology

Reactions: 8 users
Hi, I'm an international MD (UK) applicant to SBS programs. I received the Hortsman's scholarship from Yale's (Advanced Professional SBS) - 50% tuition. How common/rare is this?

Tuition in the US [compared to the UK] is ridiculously expensive, so I still likely will not be able to attend [so am not as happy as I should be lol].

Awarded $32k for Yale!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah, no problem! Hopefully you get in as well! I actually haven't done the visit day yet. I signed up for the virtual visit day since I'm all the way in California and currently busy with my AmeriCorps service. I kinda wish I was able to visit though because the in-person visit day allows you to meet with faculty one-on-one and mingle with current students in the program. I also wanted to see what the campus looked like and take a tour. Are you doing the virtual visit day as well?
I’m doing the in person on2/16. Michigan is one of my top programs and I wanted to take the time to see the campus.

I just checked your stats (which are amazing btw) and it looks like we have some similar interests! :highfive: Have you heard anything from GW for GHEDC? Their email said I was supposed to hear back in 3-6 weeks but today is the end of the 7th so I’m not sure whether I should reach out to them.

Yes I noticed that too when you posted, same down to the maternal and child health certificates! I’d say definitely email them. They self-imposed those decision deadlines so I think it’s within your right to know what’s going on if they can’t make them.

Good luck and congrats on your acceptances so far!! Also let me know what they say, my GW 6 weeks will be up next week and I haven’t heard anything either...

Just got a Horstmann Scholarship from Yale, which amounts to $32,000 ($16K/year)! Definitely makes Yale seem a little more doable for me cost-wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Applied to Dartmouth's online program 8 days ago and just got asked to interview. Phone interview Monday at noon. Anyone who has interviewed have any insight?!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the SOPHAS deadline work? For example if the deadline says that it is due Feb. 1st but you esubmitted it before the deadline, but it will not be verified by then, would the application be late?

Does anyone know how the SOPHAS deadline work? For example if the deadline says that it is due Feb. 1st but you esubmitted it before the deadline, but it will not be verified by then, would the application be late?
As long as you have all your material in before the 1st it should be fine. I submitted mine in early November for the 12/1 deadline, but a transcript that took way too long didn't get in until 12/07. My applications were all verified 12/12 and I had no issues

It totally depends on the school. Most are cool as long as you’ve submitted in SOPHAS by the deadline. But some, like Emory, need to be verified by the deadline.

I’d check with your individual schools to make sure.

Congats to those who have been accepted, and good luck to those still waiting. This week has been amazing to me! I got into JHSPH (MPH), GWU (GHEDC) and UMN (Epidemiology). Has anyone gotten into these schools? Have you received financial aid? Did it come with the letter of acceptance or you had to wait for it? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 7 users
Congats to those who have been accepted, and good luck to those still waiting. This week has been amazing to me! I got into JHSPH (MPH), GWU (GHEDC) and UMN (Epidemiology). Has anyone gotten into these schools? Have you received financial aid? Did it come with the letter of acceptance or you had to wait for it? Thanks in advance.
Congrats!! How long did it take for Hopkins to place your app under review to your acceptance?

Congrats!! How long did it take for Hopkins to place your app under review to your acceptance?
My application was sent for review last Friday and I got an offer this morning. Thats for the MHS. The MSPH application is still under review.

got a 20k scholarship from Yale, which is great but really not much at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else else not hear from UMN yet? They said they’d send decisions by the end of the week (I’m guessing weekends don’t count) and I haven’t heard anything!

Did anyone else else not hear from UMN yet? They said they’d send decisions by the end of the week (I’m guessing weekends don’t count) and I haven’t heard anything!
Send them an email or check your spam. They told me the same thing and I did get an offer.

Echoing off the Yale scholarships, I received a $32,000 award as well around a week after getting my admissions result. Leaning more and more towards JHU since their MHS in HEOR is only 9 months long and financially so much more feasible. Was really interested in going to Yale though :/ oh well

Reactions: 2 users
Send them an email or check your spam. They told me the same thing and I did get an offer.

I've been checking spam and it's not there. I'll shoot them an email, I just wanted to see if there are others and I'm just being impatient or if I should contact them. Thanks!

Got a 48k Horstmann from Yale - definitely financially more feasible now. Still waiting on any other offers but will probably be another month at least I guess!

Reactions: 6 users
Got a 48k Horstmann from Yale - definitely financially more feasible now. Still waiting on any other offers but will probably be another month at least I guess!
Wow congrats!!! Happy for ya :)