MPH / MSPH 2021: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergraduate School/School type: Large public university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.95/major 3.6/ SOPHAS GPA 2.88
Major/minor: Public health
Grad GPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE(including date taken): not taking

Experience/research:
4 internships ( I am currently doing an internship)
Serve on 2 e-boards
volunteer for 3 different organizations
research assistant for two professors

Letters of Rec:
two from past internships
1 from a professor who I work in their lab
1 from my club advisor

Interests: Health policy and epidemiology

Applied: U of Arizona, Emory, Tulane, LSU, Mercer, Rutgers, UT health Houston, UMD (dream school), UIC, Boston, SDSU, Colorado, TAMU. Applying to 15 programs in total.
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Does anyone think I have a chance into getting into UMD?
Which MPH concentration did you apply for at U of AZ? I’m waiting anxiously for a response from them !!! Idk what my chances are

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Just joined officially but I've been reading posts from on here and other years threads and I figured I'd post my stats.

Undergraduate School/School type: Small liberal arts college in the north-eastern US (one of the seven sisters)
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.6
Major/minor: Science and technology studies
GRE(including date taken): V: 165 (97%), Q: 166 (87%), AW: 4.5 (80%), taken in september 2020

Experience/research:
  • 10 months independent research for my senior thesis on sexual violence responses in mexico city
  • 1 year as a peer educator at my college's violence prevention office
  • 1 summer research experience on autism and learning
  • 4 months interning at a mental health org working with survivors of trauma
  • 9 months (current) as an administrative assistant at a school in mexico where I'm currently teaching sex ed (where they didn't teach it before except for basic anatomy)
  • Currently earning a certificate in sexuality education from a mexican sexual health association
  • several leadership positions during undergrad

Letters of Rec:
  • Director of the violence prevention program I interned at for a year
  • thesis advisor
  • president of my college, who is a global health scholar and taught a seminar on global health which I took

Interests: Sexual and reproductive health, violence prevention (specifically sexual and gender-based violence), mental health, community-based health programs

Applied: (all apps submitted mid october)
  • JHU (MHS in Social Factors of Health)
  • Yale (MPH in Social and Behavioral Sciences)
  • Columbia (MPH in Sociomedical Sciences)
  • Harvard (SM in Global Health and Population)
  • Boston University (MPH)

Accepted: JHU (12/1) + 75% Y2; Yale (1/6) + 60k (1/14); Columbia (1/20)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I think someone mentioned this earlier, but even though I applied to Columbia by the priority deadline (submitted on 12/1 and verified), my Applicant Portal has my first document (GRE scores) received 12/2 and everything else was received 12/7 and after. Hoping that this still counts as meeting the 12/1 priority deadline for Columbia since I submitted and was verified then!! Does anyone know if that is the case?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard back from Yale!! They release decisions at around 2 pm EST

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Let this be a reminder haha to anyone thinking of going to Yale that if you failed two undergraduate classes you can still make it

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Just accepted to Yale EMD!! My application was sent for review on December 10th, so about 5 week turnaround time. :soexcited:

Reactions: 10 users
For Yale, did you get a separate email saying your app had been sent into review? I applied on 12/15, got the "Application Received by YSPH" email which did say "We have begun the initial process of reviewing your application and will contact you via e-mail if any items are missing." on 12/17, and then the email from the Associate Director of Admissions on 12/21, but nothing else...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am guessing that people who got their application to Yale sent for review before the holiday break are receiving their decisions now. I applied before the deadline but my application only got submitted for review the day after their holiday break. I have not received an email today. Maybe next week? Who knows?

For Yale, did you get a separate email saying your app had been sent into review? I applied on 12/15, got the "Application Received by YSPH" email which did say "We have begun the initial process of reviewing your application and will contact you via e-mail if any items are missing." on 12/17, and then the email from the Associate Director of Admissions on 12/21, but nothing else...
I've been wondering this too! I also never received an e-mail about my app being sent for review (applied 12/15), so maybe they just haven't gotten to our batch yet.

For anyone who just got a decision from Yale when did you apply?

I am guessing that people who got their application to Yale sent for review before the holiday break are receiving their decisions now. I applied before the deadline but my application only got submitted for review the day after their holiday break. I have not received an email today. Maybe next week? Who knows?
Yale received my application 11/30 and sent it for review 12/7 - I haven’t heard back yet! I applied to SBS, so I think it’ll depend on the department.

Yale received my application 11/30 and sent it for review 12/7 - I haven’t heard back yet! I applied to SBS, so I think it’ll depend on the department.
Mine was sent to review around the same time for SBS. Here's hoping we hear decisions next week 🤞

Reactions: 1 user
Here's my timeline (for the EMD concentration)...
I got my personalized URL ("Yale School of Public Health Application" email) on November 23, 2020
"Application Received by YSPH" email on Dec 7, 2020
"YSPH Application Complete" email on December 20, 2020
Decision email on January 13, 2021.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just accepted at Yale for Health Care Management! (went under review 12/19)

Reactions: 7 users
:cryi: seeing people get Yale acceptances when I applied same time

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Did everyone get the "YSPH Application Complete" email? I did not.

I got my Yale application complete email 1/10, i shouldn’t hear back today right? maybe in the next weeks?

30k to Yale! Congrats everyone!!

Reactions: 23 users
From the responses, I am beginning to think that most of us who are waiting for decision from Yale are SBS applicants.

I applied to the APMPH - SBS track on 11/29 and got the personalized url email on 11/30. Then got the app recvd email 12/7, app complete email on 12/14. Currently waiting for the decision.

Last edited:
Also heard from Yale! Accepted into HCM -- what a crazy day. Application was sent for review on 12/20. I'm rooting for everyone still waiting to hear back from Yale and more!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Okay, I am slightly paranoid I applied to JHU wrong...I am wanting to do the full-time MPH... Applied to the "MPH - Full Time for Summer (July) 2021"

Looking to focus on Social & Behavioral Sciences in Public Health or Aging and Public Health but I honestly don't remember choosing a concentration when I applied on SOPHAS. Yikes, help! Thanks all

Bumping this again in case anyone knows!

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping this again in case anyone knows!
I applied to the part-time MPH and they didn't ask for a concentration. I just specified it in my SOP. Like the person above said, I think you officially pick it later.

Does anyone know if Yale competes with other financial aid packages? I received the 20k Horstmann scholarship and I was wondering if they would match a financial aid package offered to me by a different school?

Does anyone know if Yale competes with other financial aid packages? I received the 20k Horstmann scholarship and I was wondering if they would match a financial aid package offered to me by a different school?
I read a post from last year's thread and someone said they emailed Yale about increasing their financial aid package. The financial aid officer said that they don't usually offer more aid because they actually overcommit (since they assume that some students who are admitted with aid will reject the offer). It can't hurt to ask, though? They seem very open to questions.

Congratulations on your acceptance! Hi, did you receive any info on scholarship or aid provided by the school?
they said no because i applied after the scholarship consideration deadline of 12/1

Currently a third year medical student applying into emergency medicine. My interest in public health is a later interest, so I have a lot of basic science experience prior to now.

Undergraduate School/School type: Top Midwest University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.64
Major/minor: Major in Biology, Minor in Music
Grad GPA (if applicable): Pass/Fail at my medical school
Grad studies (if applicable): Third year medical student, East Coast
GRE(including date taken): MCAT 516, didn't take GRE

Bolded most relevant experiences:
Research:
- 1 year neurophysiology lab
- 1 summer in genetics/psychiatry lab
- 1 summer in neurobehavioral lab in Japan
- 1 summer in interventional psychiatry lab
- 3 years in cognitive neuroscience lab
- 1 summer in pediatric neuro/psych refugee health at Karolinska Institute in Sweden. Studied resignation syndrome, which is a neuropsychological condition only affecting refugee children where they deteriorate into a comatose-like state after a traumatic event.
- ~2.5 years research for the resiliency curriculum at my medical school.
Publications: Only a few of these are public health related, most are basic science. All summer research funded by various grants/fellowships.
- 2 publications
- 1 abstract
- 3 oral presentations
- 11 poster presentations. 1st place poster at global health symposium

Work:

- 1 year working in a private dermatology clinic
- Studied abroad in Denmark, medically related program

Volunteer:
- 1 year English tutoring for refugee support organization
- 2.5 years as director of my school's asylum clinic. We provide medical evaluations and write legal affidavits for asylum seekers, and provide expert declarations supporting release from detention centers due to COVID19.
- 2 years working for human rights/aviation NGO. We use donated frequent flyer miles to book flights reuniting refugees families.
- few months temperature screening at local hospital during COVID
- 2 years participation in health policy discussion group at my medical school.

Letters of Rec:

1) Med school psychiatry professor who I work with for the asylum clinic
2) Health policy group facilitator who has had high positions in AMA, Peace Corps, etc.
3) Supervisor for research at Karolinska

Interests: Refugee health and emergency medicine. Looking for programs that have a big social justice focus, particularly in relationship to forced migration and displacement

Applied: Harvard (MPH Global Health), Karolinska Institutet (MSc Global Health), London School of Economics (MSc Health and International Development)
Accepted: Harvard + 25% (2/18/21), LSE (3/4/21)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Update: got the 60k Hortsmann scholarship at Yale! So excited I can't believe this!

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
Finally submitted my apps last night, so I figured it was time for this post :)
Honestly very nervous about my chances getting in anywhere!!! Good luck everyone and happy application season :)

Undergraduate School/School type: Tiny school in NC mountains
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.2/(Higher, major upward swing last 2 years)
Major/minor: Environmental Health/ International studies
GRE(including date taken): N/A

Experience/research:
-Study abroad in Fiji, studied development and economic geography

-During sem abroad:
1) multiple research projects for course work; field visits to informal settlements, interviewing residents
2)worked on larger project sponsored by World Bank to address infrastructure needs in an informal settlement. again, interviewed residents and collected data
-Undertook independent exploratory research project examining rapid urbanization and globalization in the Melanesian region and how this is impacting capacities of public health institutions
*abstract accepted for presentation at 2 major conferences; cancelled due to COVID
-Currently working as a contact tracer in resposne to COVID

Letters of Rec:
- Head of my major (and advisor!)
-Professor I worked with on my independent research project
-Prominent professor in my major
I know these recommenders will give me very strong LORs

Interests:
Small island developing states
infectious disease epidemiology
neglected tropical diseases

Applied: UNC (MPH; Applied Epi) Colorado SPH (MPH; Global Health Epidemiology) Emory (MPH; Global Epidemiology) Tulane (MPH&TM) JHU (MSPH; GDEC) GWU (MPH; GDEC)
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:

Holy cannoli. Woke up to a 60k Horstmann Scholarship to Yale! In disbelief. Good luck to everyone!!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Shocked, received an update from Yale that I was awarded the 60k Horstmann Scholarship. Admission was enough!! So, so grateful (and it took almost the full 10 days to receive, so don't lose hope for aid!)
congratulations! did you have to apply for the scholarship separately?

Is anyone else obsessively checking their emails hoping that Emory will come out this week?!

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone else feeling impatient and a bit disheartened? Last I heard from a school was nov 24. I submitted all my apps before nov 15, before some of the people who have already heard from Columbia and Yale...
I applied to the policy programs if that makes any difference. If they already passed my app I wish they would just send a rejection now.

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else feeling impatient and a bit disheartened? Last I heard from a school was nov 24. I submitted all my apps before nov 15, before some of the people who have already heard from Columbia and Yale...
I applied to the policy programs if that makes any difference. If they already passed my app I wish they would just send a rejection now.
I am sure there are many schools
still reviewing the application. Also, it's just January. You shouldn't lose hope so soon. Hold on tight, who knows you may soon hear from the program you wish to be in!
Good luck!