MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got waitlisted for Yale health policy. I am not sure how I should feel about this. Does anyone know what are the chances I'll be taken off the waitlist?
I got waitlisted too :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone - resharing the link to the spreadsheet details for acceptances/rejections/scholarship awards etc. 2021 tab has a pretty good amount of info.

I applied in the 2021 cycle and now attend Yale, 2 year MPH. Many thread qs now are about scholarships, so my awards were as follows: Michigan HBHE 75% tuition scholarship; Yale SBS $20,000 (which was on the lower end compared to some of my peers); GW PHCM $35,000; UNC-Chapel Hill Equity no scholarship money; Minnesota CHP given in-state tuition as a non-MN resident; Emory BSHES $20,000 + $2,500 per semester thru the REAL program; BUSPH HCP 35% tuition scholarship.

I also have a newsletter for MPH students and early public health professionals. I shared some thoughts on what I wish I did right before starting my MPH. I hope these tips are helpful: Things I wish I did right before starting my MPH program

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
got my first rejection so figured now was a good of a time as any to make my post!

Undergraduate School/School type: big private research university
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.10/3.55
Major/minor: Health Sciences
Grad GPA (if applicable): n/a
Grad studies (if applicable): n/a
GRE(including date taken): n/a

Experience/research:
- 1 year as a research intern at an immunology lab
- 2 years and continuing as a research intern at an epidemiology lab (focus on maternal health and IDD); use R extensively here and second author in publication
- 3 years and continuing as a patient services volunteer and working with patients in case management
- summer internship at big pharma company in research and writing
- senior year internship with national nonprofit against sexual assault
- on board of nonprofit dedicated to sexual health education + creating module for training on sexual assault awareness
- founded org that assists sa survivors and have helped survivors with advocacy and legal support, led demonstration that changed University policies on sexual assault, invited to speak at White House for work (3 years and counting)
- legislative position in student government and helped pass resolution on sexual assault advocacy
- just graduated and going to begin volunteer work for nonprofit focused on legislative advocacy while taking some classes

Letters of Rec:
1 Professor who I’ve taken three classes with and is why I want an MPH
1 Professor who I’ve taken 2 classes with and love the coursework
1 PI from epidemiology lab

Interests:
Health policy, socio medical sciences, maternal health, sexual assault policy

Applied: Columbia (12/1), UNC (12/1), UWash (12/1), GWU (12/4), Harvard (12/3), UMich (12/1), Brown (12/07), UCLA (12/1), BU (12/05), Hopkins (12/07)
Accepted: UNC (1/13), Columbia (01/27)
Rejected: UMich (12/21), UCLA (01/26)
Waitlisted: Dartmouth (01/07, did interview 01/05)
Attending:

i know it’s super top heavy but these are where my rec writers all suggested - any thoughts / should i add some safeties bc my gpa is low? i also have an IA so it is an uphill battle! any help is wonderful and good luck to you all! :’)
just got into gwu for health policy!!! i am in disbelief but i am so, so happy

Just a heads up to check your applicant portals even if you've been admitted! Just noticed a new deadline to respond was added to one of my portals!

Hey everyone - resharing the link to the spreadsheet details for acceptances/rejections/scholarship awards etc. 2021 tab has a pretty good amount of info.

I applied in the 2021 cycle and now attend Yale, 2 year MPH. Many thread qs now are about scholarships, so my awards were as follows: Michigan HBHE 75% tuition scholarship; Yale SBS $20,000 (which was on the lower end compared to some of my peers); GW PHCM $35,000; UNC-Chapel Hill Equity no scholarship money; Minnesota CHP given in-state tuition as a non-MN resident; Emory BSHES $20,000 + $2,500 per semester thru the REAL program; BUSPH HCP 35% tuition scholarship.

I also have a newsletter for MPH students and early public health professionals. I shared some thoughts on what I wish I did right before starting my MPH. I hope these tips are helpful: Things I wish I did right before starting my MPH program
This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for explaining everything in detail and for including all the resources.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure about Yale's waitlist process. But don't get discouraged! There are so many good MPH programs
Yes, I totally agree. Just a day after Yale's waitlist, I got into both Columbia and JHU!!

• Love
Does anyone know how I should go about finding current students to talk to about their experiences? I was recently accepted to Emory (biostats) and am really interested to hear from students

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how I should go about finding current students to talk to about their experiences? I was recently accepted to Emory (biostats) and am really interested to hear from students
Emory has student ambassadors for each department that you can connect with! Here are the bios for the biostats students: Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
And then you can go here to get connected with them: Ask an Ambassador
In my experience, they aren't super quick with getting you connected, but I may have reached out as a super busy time. There is also an email on that form, so I would follow-up via email if you don't get a timely response. I'm sure you can also reach out to admissions and see if they can connect you with someone

Undergraduate School type: Small liberal arts school
Undergrad GPA: 3.77
Major/minor: Conservation biology major/public health minor
GRE(including date taken): Didn't submit

Experience/research:
- Primatology lab assistant (1yr)
- Mammalogy lab assistant (3 yrs)
- NYS EMT-B with experience vaccinating against COVID-19
- Farm animal education & management at a summer camp
- Student rep on school's departmental hiring committee for public health
- Licensed wildlife rehabber in NYS
- Member of multiple academic honor societies (ODK, Tri-Beta)

Letters of Rec: Co-chair of school public health department, school biology department chair/academic advisor, employer known for 5+ yrs

Interests:
- Conservation medicine
- Epidemiology of zoonotic diseases
- Veterinary public health

Applied: Boston University MPH (1/11/22), Colorado School of Public Health MPH (1/11/22), Cornell University MPH (1/11/22), Ohio State University MVPH (1/11/22), University of Florida MHS (1/11/22), University of Pennsylvania MPH (1/11/22), Tufts University MCM (1/13/22)
Accepted: Tufts University MCM (3/7/22), Colorado School of Public Health MPH (2/1/22), Cornell University MPH (1/28/22), University of Florida MHS (1/25/22)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending: Tufts University MCM

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
am i the only one who havent heard back from any of the schools I applied? Anxiously scrolling..

Reactions: 5 users
Emory has student ambassadors for each department that you can connect with! Here are the bios for the biostats students: Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
And then you can go here to get connected with them: Ask an Ambassador
In my experience, they aren't super quick with getting you connected, but I may have reached out as a super busy time. There is also an email on that form, so I would follow-up via email if you don't get a timely response. I'm sure you can also reach out to admissions and see if they can connect you with someone
Thank you!!! That is so helpful

Hello everyone! Has anyone heard from Brown's MPH program?
I got a confirmation that they received my application, and they said they would be getting decisions out mid march :/ so I think we've still got a little while

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, has anyone heard from UTHealth or University of Minnesota (MS biostats in particular)?

got in at colorado sph for global health epi and found out michigan bumped my scholarship up to 100% tuition :)

Reactions: 11 users
Almost afraid this will jinx me but here goes...

Undergraduate School/School type: State University
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.89
Major/minor: Mass Communications / Political Communications
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.26
Grad studies (if applicable): Law School (same state university)
GRE(including date taken): N/A

Experience/research: Almost 2 years of work experience (lawyer); one law journal publication. Trained in basic SPSS and Stata through my undergraduate courses.

Letters of Rec: Two law professors and one prior employer

Interests: Health disparities/inequities, delivery systems' impact on same, health communication, access to care

Applied: Johns Hopkins MSPH - HP (complete 12/17); Harvard MPH-45 HP (12/3); Yale MPH-HP (rec'd 12/16, complete 1/13); Dartmouth MPH-HP (rec'd 12/13, interviewed 1/19); GW MPH -PHCM (rec'd 12/14, in review 1/13)
Accepted: Dartmouth (1/21 +$10k); Johns Hopkins (1/25); GW (2/4)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:
Attending:
no clue!

got in at colorado sph for global health epi and found out michigan bumped my scholarship up to 100% tuition :)
That is amazing!!! Congratulations!! Did Michigan email you with the official scholarship notice? Still patiently waiting 😅

50% tuition at u of m woohooo!!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
That's awesome! By bumped up, do you mean they offered you a lower amount and you negotiated? I just got 50% so I'm hoping I can get them to bump it if that's possible!

That is amazing!!! Congratulations!! Did Michigan email you with the official scholarship notice? Still patiently waiting 😅
I got an email this morning with the official notice!

That's awesome! By bumped up, do you mean they offered you a lower amount and you negotiated? I just got 50% so I'm hoping I can get them to bump it if that's possible!
I had emailed earlier in January to see if it would be possible to hear about potential scholarships early as I had another offer I had to decide on by Jan 31 and was told I would receive a 75% tuition waiver. However, when I got my official email from the school, I was offered 100% tuition. I did not personally negotiate, but (if I am remembering last year's thread correctly) people have done so successfully!

I had emailed earlier in January to see if it would be possible to hear about potential scholarships early as I had another offer I had to decide on by Jan 31 and was told I would receive a 75% tuition waiver. However, when I got my official email from the school, I was offered 100% tuition. I did not personally negotiate, but (if I am remembering last year's thread correctly) people have done so successfully!
Wow, that's awesome! A huge congrats and thanks for the info.

Congratulations that is amazing!! How long did it take for Michigan to send you your financial aid?

Congratulations that is amazing!! How long did it take for Michigan to send you your financial aid?
I applied on 11/28, was accepted on 12/22, and received my financial aid information on 2/4!

Does anyone know when the next batch of Columbia decisions should be going out? Patiently, yet impatiently waiting...😂

I got an email this morning with the official notice!
If you don't mind me asking, is the tuition award posted on Wolverine? I saw they posted a financial award notice on mine today but it's only loans and a work-study so I'm wondering if (hoping!) tuition awards are separate

thanks for this! does anyone know if these financial aid numbers are split over both years or are they per year?

If you don't mind me asking, is the tuition award posted on Wolverine? I saw they posted a financial award notice on mine today but it's only loans and a work-study so I'm wondering if (hoping!) tuition awards are separate
I got an email with my tuition aid, as well as an update to my portal with loans and work-study that did not include my tuition award, so I think they are separate!

Last edited:
Got accepted to Berkeley Maternal and Child Health today!

thanks for this! does anyone know if these financial aid numbers are split over both years or are they per year?
these numbers are total for both years. except for Emory, $20,000 total for both years plus $2,500 for each semester (4 total) for their REAL program which is like work study

Thanks so much for all the info! You said that you got 20k from Yale but that was on the lower ended compared to some peers, what was the range of scholarships in your cohort and what amount did most of your peers have?

Hi, I have my Dartmouth Interview this week and I'm super nervous. Is anyone willing to share tips or their own interview experience?Thanks :)

Hi, I have my Dartmouth Interview this week and I'm super nervous. Is anyone willing to share tips or their own interview experience?Thanks :)
🙋‍♀️

Don't be nervous! It is a totally laid-back interview with an alum. They have a series of about 5 questions to ask, all very easy to answer like, "why Dartmouth?" "why MPH?" Be prepared to tell them about yourself and discuss your long-term career goals. This is mostly a fit check to make sure your personality will mesh well with the school. Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any more Qs! :)

I submitted my application for HBHE on 11/30 and heard back on 1/21. On their site, it says it takes up to 8 weeks for decisions. I'm sure it's taking them longer because of the holiday break but you should be hearing back pretty soon!
Finally got the 'View Admission Recommendation' link on my Wolverine Access portal today! :)

Isn't official until I get that email, but ahhhh!

Thanks so much for all the info! You said that you got 20k from Yale but that was on the lower ended compared to some peers, what was the range of scholarships in your cohort and what amount did most of your peers have?
This is super anecdotal, but for the 2021 cycle, it seemed like the range was from $10k - $60k with $30-$40k being most common. I think there were some people who didn't get any scholarship award, but I think it was very few if any at all. And I think the $10k award is rare as well. I think the fin aid office said $60k was also infrequent, but I felt like I saw quite a few $60k awards on SDN last year. hope that helps!

On the grad cafe website seems like there were a string of rejections of the PhD for Population Health Sciences from Harvard yesterday. Seems like a week to go before mid-Feb for Harvard decisions.

On the grad cafe website seems like there were a string of rejections of the PhD for Population Health Sciences from Harvard yesterday. Seems like a week to go before mid-Feb for Harvard decisions.
Do you think that most MPH - 45 decisions will be out next week?

In at JHU!!! So so happy atm! Do you know if info around scholarships for the MPH FT program come a few days/weeks after the acceptance?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users