MPH or MSPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone it's been a while ! So long story short I graduated last year from a top state school with a double major in biology and geobiology with a history minor. Graduated in the top 6% (3.78 GPA), had a senior thesis, and wanted to go to graduate school to get either an MS or PhD in Geology (I was a pre med before going that route but no longer wanted to pursue it). I wasn't able to get into any programs without funding plus I began to think that even with a masters/PhD it would still be difficult to find a job. So I started to look for work and couldn't find anything until I got called by the NYPD and decided to be a police officer. I also enlisted in the USAF as an aerospace medical evacuation squadron member as a part time job. I want to get my masters in something that's science related and marketable (where I can potential make a lot of money after I retire at 48). My goal for the air force is to become an officer and my recruiter mentioned me possibly getting a MPH. I can become a Public Health officer and I can also work for the medical division in the NYPD. Now after doing some research online a lot of people have said that epidemiology and biostatistics are the two most marketable concentrations. Is this true ? They also stated that an MS in public health also "looks better" instead of an MPH. So what are some good programs in the NYC area or the surrounding states ? The weakest part of my application will probably be my GRE which is a 290. Do these programs give a lot of weight to them or can they be waived ? The NYPD and air force offer scholarships, in fact if I do 36 months of active duty the AF will pay for my masters 100%.

Members don't see this ad.

MS/MSPH vs MPH - A MS is a research degree, often followed (but not always) by a PhD. If you want to focus on research or prepare for a career in academia, this may be a good fit for you.

A MPH is considered a professional degree, like a JD. Research is of course, still involved. Some people with MPH's pursue PhD as well.

Biostatisticians and Data Science is a hot field right now for sure but that doesn't mean other fields of public health are not marketable. We need health educators, health policy leaders, etc. Whether you choose Health Policy or Global Health or Biostat, you're walking away with a professional, versatile degree. Choose what will keep you interested in school, and your career :)

Regarding GRE: That is a low score, especially if you want to focus on something quant heavy like Epi or Biostat. Can you take it again? I think they can be waived if you already have a master's.

MS/MSPH vs MPH - A MS is a research degree, often followed (but not always) by a PhD. If you want to focus on research or prepare for a career in academia, this may be a good fit for you.

A MPH is considered a professional degree, like a JD. Research is of course, still involved. Some people with MPH's pursue PhD as well.

Biostatisticians and Data Science is a hot field right now for sure but that doesn't mean other fields of public health are not marketable. We need health educators, health policy leaders, etc. Whether you choose Health Policy or Global Health or Biostat, you're walking away with a professional, versatile degree. Choose what will keep you interested in school, and your career :)

Regarding GRE: That is a low score, especially if you want to focus on something quant heavy like Epi or Biostat. Can you take it again? I think they can be waived if you already have a master's.

Regarding the GRE, no I took it three times already and I don't have a masters. I figured with my work experience (being in the military and in the NYPD) along with coming from a good school and getting real high marks can outweigh it. What are some really good programs that don't require it ? I understand that it's a low score but it shouldn't be the be all end all of my application especially considering the other parts of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also I know NYMC doesn't require a GRE for its mph program. Is it accredited and do their students get good high paying jobs ?