MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know why MSU COM, a established school with a really good reputation, has the vast majority of students matching in DO residencies as opposed to a select few in MD residencies, when compared to other DO programs? Is it more of a student choice rationale or something else? Also at the DMC campus if one does not have a car and wants to live close to campus but in a secure area, is that an option? Where do students live in Detroit?

Thanks

The reason I was given is because there's a massive number of DO residencies in Michigan. If memory serves, I heard that 1/3rd of DOs in the US have done residencies in Michigan.

I have no idea if this is right or not, but take it however you will. I'm personally confident that there are multiple factors behind it.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know why MSU COM, a established school with a really good reputation, has the vast majority of students matching in DO residencies as opposed to a select few in MD residencies, when compared to other DO programs? Is it more of a student choice rationale or something else? Also at the DMC campus if one does not have a car and wants to live close to campus but in a secure area, is that an option? Where do students live in Detroit?

Thanks

I think the reason the students match to more DO residencies compared to other schools is that the majority of MSU COM students want to practice in Michigan and Michigan has more DO residency positions than any other state.

Yes there are plenty of options to live close to the DMC campus so that you are within walking distance. It is located in midtown Detroit and is fairly close to Wayne State, which is a secure area. If you have more questions about this you can message me.

For the first year intensive summer anatomy, just curious is the final exam cumulative? Are any of the lectures notes, just to get an idea online?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I hope your app process is going (as) smoothly (as it can)!

I don't mean this to come off as arrogant or anything so please do not take it this way. This is a genuine question of mine and I was hoping someone could answer it.

I am an instate student in Michigan, and I'm applying this upcoming cycle. One of the schools I'm seriously looking at is MSUCOM. However, my stats are quite a bit above their averages (3.85/ 33S). While this puts me in a good spot for MD schools, I also hold no reservations against DO schools and would be very happy if I got accepted here (i know some great doctors who went there). My question is whether or not they would waste an acceptance on someone with stats quite a few points higher than their average?

I would seriously consider attending this school, and I plan to let them know that, but I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on how the school would view this situation and how they would perceive my application.

Again, I'm not trying to come off as arrogant, this is just a question I have as I prepare for the upcoming application cycle. Thanks!

Don't worry. I am pretty much your numbers twin and will be attending starting this summer... so no, good numbers are not a problem, probably rather encouraged ;)

For the first year intensive summer anatomy, just curious is the final exam cumulative? Are any of the lectures notes, just to get an idea online?

Why are you concerned about the final when anatomy doesn't start for another three months? For that matter your first year of med school has not even started. Either way, im sure you could find the contact info of the professor for the class, and ask him. Sorry, not trying to being mean. Just wondering what the point of worrying about a final exam in a class, which you have not even started, will serve. Relax and enjoy the next three months, you will be studying and stressing plenty once med school starts.

As for your question on lecture notes, they record the lectures. So you will be able to have an audio recording of the lectures available online.

Don't worry. I am pretty much your numbers twin and will be attending starting this summer... so no, good numbers are not a problem, probably rather encouraged ;)

wow yea we're pretty darn close lol. thanks btw for those who responded I appreciate it :)

hi,

anyone go to Macomb campus. I wonder if we will study anatomy there over the summer if you are assigned there. How to find the good place to live in Macomb? Thanks.

hi,

anyone go to Macomb campus. I wonder if we will study anatomy there over the summer if you are assigned there. How to find the good place to live in Macomb? Thanks.

Im not placed at the Macomb campus, but was originally. Anyways, you take the anatomy class in Macomb. The campus has a brand new anatomy lab, from what I heard from Katie Molina. As to finding apartments, try rent.com or craigslist. Also, roommates.com would help you find a future roommate or room to rent. MSU has a posting for MSU grad students looking for housing or have a room for rent too https://apartmentmatch.com.msu.edu/

Does anyone know if the tuition for years 3 and 4 is the same as years 1 and 2? It appears that tuition like for OOS is on the rise, after starting at MSUCOM, are you locked into that for 4 years or can it change? Finally, does MSUCOM have any sim man type human simulators for clinical skills?

Thanks

Does anyone know if the tuition for years 3 and 4 is the same as years 1 and 2? It appears that tuition like for OOS is on the rise, after starting at MSUCOM, are you locked into that for 4 years or can it change? Finally, does MSUCOM have any sim man type human simulators for clinical skills?

Thanks

Found it on the Financial Aide website http://www.finaid.msu.edu/read/budcom.pdf , it breaks down everything for the 4 years of med school.

Thanks

You'll have simulated patients (basically actors) during 1st year. Close to the end of 2nd year, you'll use something like SimMan to learn and get ACLS certified.

So is the 30,000 and 69,000ish tuition figures quoted by MSUCOM for In state and OOS including that summer term (e.g summer, fall and spring) or just the fall and spring term?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the 30,000 and 69,000ish tuition figures quoted by MSUCOM for In state and OOS including that summer term (e.g summer, fall and spring) or just the fall and spring term?

Thanks

2 post above yours is the tuition link on MSU's Fin Aide website, which breaks down four years.

Thanks

Yeaup, that estimate includes summer, fall and spring for the first year.

The numbers change because second and fourth year are considered fall and spring only, which runs around 20,000 IS and 46,000 OOS.

Third year (sum/fall/sprg) is around 42,000 IS and 92,000 OOS.

Im not placed at the Macomb campus, but was originally. Anyways, you take the anatomy class in Macomb. The campus has a brand new anatomy lab, from what I heard from Katie Molina. As to finding apartments, try rent.com or craigslist. Also, roommates.com would help you find a future roommate or room to rent. MSU has a posting for MSU grad students looking for housing or have a room for rent too https://apartmentmatch.com.msu.edu/

Thank you a lot for your information.

Hello MSUCOM Students!!! This is my first time here, so I'm a little excited!!!

I am a recently admitted student CLASS 2014 OOS... can any current student/s give us some information about scholarships and non-loan funding because I TRULY NEED THEM!

Also, does any one have inputs about sites selection?

I am a recently admitted student CLASS 2014 OOS... can any current student/s give us some information about scholarships and non-loan funding because I TRULY NEED THEM!

Well, I am IS and don't know much about the OOS scholarships... but I do know that all the cool kids go to Macomb. :cool: Just saying. ;)

I was under this impression as well...

Are many people applying for outside/ independent scholarships?

I did, but I just started, so I missed a lot of the deadlines already. :( If you have any suggestions please feel free to PM me :)

Well, I am IS and don't know much about the OOS scholarships... but I do know that all the cool kids go to Macomb. :cool: Just saying.

:laugh: Good, because Macomb is actually my first choice. ;)

Last edited:

Non-Loan options through MSU COM can be found at http://com.msu.edu/ss/scholarships.html. There is one OOS scholarship that is due in September. Other options would be the National Health Service Corps Scholarship, but you would be required to do your residency in Primary Care. If you want more options for specialties, there is always the Army, Navy or Air Force HPSP. HPSP covers costs of med school, you get a monthly stipend of 1900/mo, and a $20K signing bonus. In exchange, you pay back 1 yr Active Duty and 1 yr Inactive Reserve time per year of scholarship. Im doing the Air Force HPSP. So if you have questions, just PM me.

I didn't get the OOS scholarship. Associate dean told me they give out 8 per year, and they had 50 applicants for it this year.

I didn't get the OOS scholarship. Associate dean told me they give out 8 per year, and they had 50 applicants for it this year.

I thought that OOS scholarship was due September 1st?

How many electives(how long is each) do students at MSU COM have? Also, how many OOS students typically are in each class? Has MSU COM ever had any international students?

Thanks

How many electives(how long is each) do students at MSU COM have? Also, how many OOS students typically are in each class? Has MSU COM ever had any international students?

Thanks

According to this: http://ap.com.msu.edu/clerkship/description.php

there are 20 weeks of elective rotations and 14 weeks of selectives. There is a list of all the options on that page. Not sure about any international students, I believe the class is usually >85% IS.

EDIT: The factsheet (http://com.msu.edu/pub-rel/Fact_Sheet/factsheet.html) says that the incoming 2009 class was 93% IS students

Last edited:

Thanks

I don't know how many, but I know there are Canadian students. This year they might have close to 50 OOS students.

Hi, I am on the accepted waitlist and I called earlier in the week to find out if I was in the top 10. I was not. I was planning on calling back in the beginning of May to check again. My question is.... how much does the waitlist usually move from April-June. Is there a chance that the Top 10 will be completly different/refreshed in a month due to people accepting/declining offers? I am setting up my future plans as if I will not be accepted this year but I still REALLYYYY want to start this summer. Words of wisdom, advice, any help would be appreciated...........

Cheers

The movement of the waitlist varies each year because it depends on accepted people withdrawing and people on the waitlist in front of you declining... so it's difficult to predict.

My advice would be to start thinking about your gap year just in case. However I wouldn't go signing a one-year lease or committing to something long-term in case you are accepted off the wait list.

Hi, I am on the accepted waitlist and I called earlier in the week to find out if I was in the top 10. I was not. I was planning on calling back in the beginning of May to check again. My question is.... how much does the waitlist usually move from April-June. Is there a chance that the Top 10 will be completly different/refreshed in a month due to people accepting/declining offers? I am setting up my future plans as if I will not be accepted this year but I still REALLYYYY want to start this summer. Words of wisdom, advice, any help would be appreciated...........

Cheers

From what I've read on last year and the year before's forum, approx 70% of accepted waitlist students are offered a spot in the current year class (not exactly sure how they got this number or how accurate it is..). I would assume the biggest waitlist movement is from mid- to end of May since May 16 (?) is the last day students can hold multiple acceptances. But like the above person said, it really depends on each year so you should definitely have a backup plan just in case.

For those on the guaranteed waitlist or who have deffered acceptance for a year, are you required to pay the deposit to hold your spot?

Thanks

Hi,

Anyone know anything about the Brittany Park Apartments close to Macomb site? I live in California and looking for an apartment at Macomb site. Thanks.

From what I know, once they call us, we have 15 days to pay the first deposit. If they don't call us this year. We have to pay the deposit in September in order to save our spot.

So, is it true that we could call and ask if we are in the next 10 in line or not?

I just wanted to let you all know that I called today and gave up my seat!

Hopefully someone on here will be getting a call soon! ;)

Hi everyone,
So, I just talked to MSUCOM office today and I am in the top 10 to get in and she said 5 people withdrew today so list is moving which is GREAT for all of us. However, unfortunately, they only have openings in Macomb site. I am from East Lansing and went to Michigan State. I am considering deferring it for one year assuming that I don't get into East Lansing site. Does anyone knows anything about the Macomb site. Is it as depressing as I think it is! ;)
Thanks,

Hi everyone,
So, I just talked to MSUCOM office today and I am in the top 10 to get in and she said 5 people withdrew today so list is moving which is GREAT for all of us. However, unfortunately, they only have openings in Macomb site. I am from East Lansing and went to Michigan State. I am considering deferring it for one year assuming that I don't get into East Lansing site. Does anyone knows anything about the Macomb site. Is it as depressing as I think it is! ;)
Thanks,

I ended up choosing the DMC site after visiting all three. I really liked Maccomb and DMC better than EL... but it really depends on what you are looking for. Maccomb just opened up like a month ago and everything is brand new. You would also be closer to most of the 3rd and 4th year rotational sites.

I would suggest visiting at least before you defer.

Hi everyone,
Thanks,

I chose the Macomb site, and I actually never visited the campus. I wanted it because of the smaller class size, brand new building, and the area. My husband and I went down a few weekends ago to find a place to live and realllly liked the area. We are living in Chesterfield, about 10 miles east of the school and just really enjoyed all of the surrounding area. There is a nice big mall next to the school, Lake St.Clair is 1 mile from our place... it just seems like a nice place to spend the next 2 years.... maybe you will enjoy something different than EL for a bit. Remember though, that even if you defer, it doesn't mean you will get EL... I actually don't think you get a choice if you defer, they just place you I think.

Hi everyone,
Thanks,

I would say not to defer one year if your only reason is you might not get the site you want. I too did my undergrad work at MSU in East Lansing and I do love it there. However, I chose DMC for a number of reasons (I do research at Detroit Receiving for one, making some connections :p). I would say visit the sites and see what they are about, the advantages and disadvantages. Also, a few of my classmates and I plan on driving up to the EL a lot anyways for tailgates and such (all the good stuff). So I don't plan on missing out on much in the EL.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
So, I just talked to MSUCOM office today and I am in the top 10 to get in and she said 5 people withdrew today so list is moving which is GREAT for all of us.

LOVE seeing this kind of news. Keep it coming!!!!

Can anybody confirm the academic calendar for incoming 1st year students? It seems that the summer break between first and second year is only about one month. (~July 28th to August 31st)

Conversely, the other Michigan medical schools like WSU and UM have roughly 2.5 months off! Is the workload just spread out more or is it just more work? Thanks.

http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudents/curRes/calendar/index.html

http://ap.com.msu.edu/keydates.php

I think and as far as I can tell from the calendars... we have no break at all, maybe a week at the most. I believe the workload is spread out and more and in addition we have OMM which WSU and UM do not. We also start about 2 months before the other schools in Michigan do.

Can anybody confirm the academic calendar for incoming 1st year students? It seems that the summer break between first and second year is only about one month. (~July 28th to August 31st)

Conversely, the other Michigan medical schools like WSU and UM have roughly 2.5 months off! Is the workload just spread out more or is it just more work? Thanks.

http://www.med.umich.edu/medstudents/curRes/calendar/index.html

http://ap.com.msu.edu/keydates.php

Yeah there's about about a one month break between first and second year.

Some may have a differing opinion but this is mine:

MSUCOM has less vacation time than well... every school I have looked at (all Michigan schools, etc). Most schools have a longer Summer break between year one and year two with the purpose of either vacation or research.

I would say the workload is slightly larger because we have a few more classes (not just OMM) however the big factor is classes are much more spread out. Start Year 1 in June (opposed to August/Sept), Summer break late July (opposed to May/June), "end second year" aka start board study late May (opposed to late April/Early May).

The big perk of this is we don't have to do anatomy on top of the rest of Fall classes.

MSUCOM has less vacation time...

When I talked with some current students, they said that as a result of this schedule, they had felt stressed only once in their 1st year, for less than a week.

They said that compared to MSU CHM, COM students are much less frazzled.