MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok i was just notified about being deficient in 6 behavior sci requirement, I took honors classes at wayne state that def fit the profile of these classes. they were about the movement of people out the city of detroit due to race.A pretty basic sociology concept. I took three classes all of which i wrote down as behavior science. I emailed them back and still have not gotten a response, has anyone had an issue like this? Will they accept them if they look at the course description? Do i need to register for spring? I am kinda freaking out so any ideas on what they might do?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok i was just notified about being deficient in 6 behavior sci requirement, I took honors classes at wayne state that def fit the profile of these classes. they were about the movement of people out the city of detroit due to race.A pretty basic sociology concept. I took three classes all of which i wrote down as behavior science. I emailed them back and still have not gotten a response, has anyone had an issue like this? Will they accept them if they look at the course description? Do i need to register for spring? I am kinda freaking out so any ideas on what they might do?

Relax a little bit. You can try calling them and asking if anyone is available to talk to about it. I am sure you will be fine once they see the course descriptions... What was the title of the courses?

Definitely call them. Also make sure they were from the college of social sciences at Wayne State and not integrated courses. Maybe they just over looked them.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would call and you may need to take classes. They are actually quite picky. I knew someone who had their classes listed on for behavioral science and they were very picky about the course description. Both of their descriptions sounded like behavioral science, but MSUCOM did not accept them.

Hey everybody. I just got placed on the guaranteed for 2011 waitlist, which, frankly, was a total shock to me. I hadn't heard anything from MSUCOM in forever and had pretty much given up.

Before I ask my questions, some stats for those still waiting (I think this is what I put on the application.. it's been a few months, so I might just be making some of these numbers up):
~3.17 sgpa, 3.38 cgpa from UMich, 35S, major in Cell/Molec. Bio. Something like ~600 hrs of hospital volunteer work in high school, only ~50 hours volunteering in college (at a soup kitchen), 160 hours shadowing in primary care, 80 hours hands-on clinical experience as an EMT student, ~5000 hours research, in state. Lots of hobbies - strong background in music, participated with musical groups in college, road cycling, cooking. A couple of leadership positions. Complete 12/2009 or 1/2010. I know - my stats are horribly lopsided.

Anyway - I hear from all directions that MSUCOM is supposed to be an amazing school with one of the best, if not the best, reputations in osteopathic medical education. However, I never see that statement backed up with any sort of explanation. I've been scouring the MSUCOM website but can't find much information that sets it apart from the other schools I'm interested in. Actually, by board exam rates and matriculation stats alone, MSUCOM is virtually identical to UMDNJ (tuition is much, much nicer though). Both UMDNJ and MSUCOM have preceptorships, which I'm interested in, and they both use a systems-based curriculum. The only difference I can see is that you don't have to travel much for UMDNJ's 3rd/4th year (which is good or bad, depending on what you want) and that MSUCOM has a schedule without a long period of break time (again, good or bad depending on your values). I'll reserve judgment on the facilities until I've actually visited the MSUCOM campus.

Hey everybody. I just got placed on the guaranteed for 2011 waitlist, which, frankly, was a total shock to me. I hadn't heard anything from MSUCOM in forever and had pretty much given up.

I'll reserve judgment on the facilities until I've actually visited the MSUCOM campus.

I would guess you were wait listed because you were complete fairly late. Once the class is full people are placed on one of the two waitlists.

The East Lansing site has no "oooo shiny" factor because it is in an old dorm. However, there are plenty of good facilities, labs, etc in it.

Everglide -- Yeah, I talked to admissions and they said that after a certain point, to ensure that they don't overadmit, everybody goes on the waitlist regardless of their 'stellarness.'

Everglide -- Yeah, I talked to admissions and they said that after a certain point, to ensure that they don't overadmit, everybody goes on the waitlist regardless of their 'stellarness.'
sorry, but I didnt get whay you mean by everyone goes on the waitlist regardless of their stellarness? everyone? and then how do they separate waitlist from guranteed waitlist if they told you regardless of stellarness people are waitlisted? thanks for any further explanation, you talked to admission so you may know

sorry, but I didnt get whay you mean by everyone goes on the waitlist regardless of their stellarness? everyone? and then how do they separate waitlist from guranteed waitlist if they told you regardless of stellarness people are waitlisted? thanks for any further explanation, you talked to admission so you may know

After a certain point, nobody gets accepted without first going to one of the waitlists. If you want to talk about those, then yes, the strength of their application matters in determining which one they get placed into... I think.

After a certain point, nobody gets accepted without first going to one of the waitlists. If you want to talk about those, then yes, the strength of their application matters in determining which one they get placed into... I think.
thanks for the reply. it makes more sense now. In a way MSUCOM is trying to do both at once fill class as soon as possibile with qualified candidates, and have another list of qualified candidates in the line if someone drops. I heard that they will still accept people from the waitlist untill june.

I would guess you were wait listed because you were complete fairly late. Once the class is full people are placed on one of the two waitlists.

The East Lansing site has no "oooo shiny" factor because it is in an old dorm. However, there are plenty of good facilities, labs, etc in it.

One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned is MSUCOM receives the most grant money for research out of any of the other osteopathic schools... not that it directly applies to it's prestige.. but that is how MD programs are usually ranked.

The facilities at the new campuses at DMC and MUC are very nice, after all they are brand new.

One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned is MSUCOM receives the most grant money for research out of any of the other osteopathic schools... not that it directly applies to it's prestige.. but that is how MD programs are usually ranked.

The facilities at the new campuses at DMC and MUC are very nice, after all they are brand new.

Mhm. It's just interesting to me that MSUCOM has a sterling reputation, but nobody ever says why that is. I'll be visiting on the 26th to see the campus for myself.

Mhm. It's just interesting to me that MSUCOM has a sterling reputation, but nobody ever says why that is. I'll be visiting on the 26th to see the campus for myself.

Make sure to check out the DMC and MUC campuses if you can.. those are the ones I am referring to in regards to new facilities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to check out the DMC and MUC campuses if you can.. those are the ones I am referring to in regards to new facilities.

Mhm. How exactly does one go about visiting the satellite campuses?

Did everyone apply for scholarships? If so has MSU contacted you regarding them yet? i unfortunately missed the deadline Jan 15th to apply. I wonder how much each student can get in scholarships each year

Mhm. How exactly does one go about visiting the satellite campuses?

Katie Molina
Admissions Counselor
Michigan State University
College of Osteopathic Medicine
Email: [email protected]

You can email her to set up a tour at each of the campuses if you like.

I toured both of them and am going to the DMC site next year.

Did everyone apply for scholarships? If so has MSU contacted you regarding them yet? i unfortunately missed the deadline Jan 15th to apply. I wonder how much each student can get in scholarships each year

I did, I applied to two... and got rejected from both :(

I was under the impression most if not all of those scholarships were for current students anyway... maybe I'm incorrect on that.

Most of the scholarships were for current first year students, and or current students. There are a few scholarships that are for incoming students. You just need to read the criteria, and check those that apply to you. Oh, the OOS scholarship is due by september. The other two scholarships for incoming MS-1 were due on March 1st. So I am not sure if there is any scholarships left to apply for.

I was under the impression most if not all of those scholarships were for current students anyway... maybe I'm incorrect on that.

I was under this impression as well...

Are many people applying for outside/ independent scholarships?

I was under this impression as well...

Are many people applying for outside/ independent scholarships?

Many of them are for people who are already in med school... but the ones that are for "incoming first years" are all past their due dates. So I wouldn't worry about scholarships anymore if you were looking into them. Look into them next year.

Hello-
Could somebody shed some light for me? I believe the Macomb area looks really nice, even nicer than the Lansing area. There are many hospitals there so you are pretty guaranteed (I think) that you wouldn’t have to move for your 3rd and 4th years, especially nice if you have families or want to be settled. Also, there are pretty nice houses if you want to buy one compared to EL
It seems to me that most people jump for the East Lansing site first and then Detroit and then Macomb.
Could someone tell me why you chose EL over Macomb?
Is it because the video conferencing? I mean you get a good close up view like for OMM….Probably a better view watching boxing on TV then actually being at the arena.
Is it because there are more people at EL? I guess that is a + or – depending on how you think about it.
By the way does anyone know how many people try to get rotation sites around the Lansing Area (Ingham, and Sparrow) vs the number of available spots?
I wouldn’t have to worry about moving if I was at Macomb because there are rotation sites at POH, Henry Ford, Henry Ford Warren Campus, Mount Clemens, and Beaumont hospitals.
Thanks!

I chose the East Lansing site because I love the East Lansing/MSU and Lansing area. Plus I have plenty of friends in the area from undergrad. Plus I am interested in getting involved with research.

I probably would have chosen the DMC site if the previously mentioned reasons were taken away from me, just because it's newer and you're much less likely to have to move if you wish to stay in the area for a base hospital.

I know Ingham Regional and Sparrow have been the most "competitive" to get into via the lottery however I am unsure the exact numbers on this. For what it's worth, I was told "most" people get their first choice. Personally I wouldn't bet a house on it in this market.

I chose the East Lansing site because I love the East Lansing/MSU and Lansing area. Plus I have plenty of friends in the area from undergrad. Plus I am interested in getting involved with research.

I probably would have chosen the DMC site if the previously mentioned reasons were taken away from me, just because it's newer and you're much less likely to have to move if you wish to stay in the area for a base hospital.

I know Ingham Regional and Sparrow have been the most "competitive" to get into via the lottery however I am unsure the exact numbers on this. For what it's worth, I was told "most" people get their first choice. Personally I wouldn't bet a house on it in this market.

A lot of people choose East Lansing for the direct involvement of research through MSUCOM, but you can always get involved with independent research throw the surrounding hospitals if you are really gunning for the Macomb campus yet still want to do some research.

I am essentially doing this at the DMC campus at Detroit Receiving.

I probably should have specified I'm interested in continuing research with a specific group at MSU. There's definitely plenty of good opportunities at all the sites.

Hello-
Is it because the video conferencing? I mean you get a good close up view like for OMM….Probably a better view watching boxing on TV then actually being at the arena.[/SIZE].

From my understanding each site has hands-on OMT classes. It's one of the few classes that is not conferenced.

Hey does anyone if MSU COM is able to assist OOS students with any scholarships to offset the cost? Also are we eligible to apply for the Jan 15th deadline scholarships if we recently got an offer? Where do students at the DMC campus live? Do hospitals in the vicinity provide student housing? Finally, about what percent of MSU COM students match into allopathic residencies because the match list does not indicate between osteo/allo residences.

Thanks

We were told on the tour day that about 20 people matched into allopathic residencies (the 08-09 match). The match list MSU gives out does not include any of the allo residencies on it.

If anyone happens to know where an Allopathic match list is, probably self-reported, I'd like to see it out of curiosity.

Where do students at the DMC campus live? Do hospitals in the vicinity provide student housing?
Thanks

I am living in Berkley. If you want to live in the suburbs I would suggest Berkley, Royal Oak, Troy, Ferndale...

Some people are living south of Detroit but I don't know that area really at all.

There are a few good apartment places in Detroit... I don't know the names though.

I am not aware of hospitals having student housing... and have never heard of this.

Hey does anyone if MSU COM is able to assist OOS students with any scholarships to offset the cost? Also are we eligible to apply for the Jan 15th deadline scholarships if we recently got an offer? Where do students at the DMC campus live? Do hospitals in the vicinity provide student housing? Finally, about what percent of MSU COM students match into allopathic residencies because the match list does not indicate between osteo/allo residences.

Thanks

I will be living at either the Millander Center or River Front apartments. There are plenty of apartment complexes in downtown and midtown detroit.

Is the cost of attendance going to be the same for the branch sites?
I know its the same tuition but is the personal expense etc going to be the same?

Also is there a facebook group for the Macomb site?

Thanks in advance!

Has anyone heard of a student paying another student to switch rotation sites at MSUCOM?

I would have to say the prices would be cheaper around the Macomb site than the East Lansing campus

It's about the same price for an apartment in macomb compared to EL depending on what you want. 1 br 500-700, 2 br 800-1100.. all depends on the amenities and 'newness' of the apartments.

Hey everyone,
Does anyone know if we can still apply for the scholarships due on Jan15th? Also, does MSU COM help students who are OOS/international with the high tuition cost for out of state students?

Thanks

Hey everyone,
Does anyone know if we can still apply for the scholarships due on Jan15th? Also, does MSU COM help students who are OOS/international with the high tuition cost for out of state students?

Thanks

Jan 15th scholarships have already past according to Dr. Falls. There is the OOS scholarship that is due in sept, which was mentioned above. There will be scholarships available during our first year, but none of those are available to apply to yet.

Does anybody know how the visit days are set up? Is it a group or individual format? Thanks in advance.

The East Lansing visits are by group, my day had about 50-60 people. They called that group "large". The actual tour of the school is broken into smaller groups of 4-8 prospective students with 2-4 year one students.

I believe they encourage attendance to the tour day if you are on the wait list.

The East Lansing visits are by group, my day had about 50-60 people. They called that group "large". The actual tour of the school is broken into smaller groups of 4-8 prospective students with 2-4 year one students.

I believe they encourage attendance to the tour day if you are on the wait list.

What is the dress code? Interview (suit/tie)? Business casual? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys I hope your app process is going (as) smoothly (as it can)!

I don't mean this to come off as arrogant or anything so please do not take it this way. This is a genuine question of mine and I was hoping someone could answer it.

I am an instate student in Michigan, and I'm applying this upcoming cycle. One of the schools I'm seriously looking at is MSUCOM. However, my stats are quite a bit above their averages (3.85/ 33S). While this puts me in a good spot for MD schools, I also hold no reservations against DO schools and would be very happy if I got accepted here (i know some great doctors who went there). My question is whether or not they would waste an acceptance on someone with stats quite a few points higher than their average?

I would seriously consider attending this school, and I plan to let them know that, but I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on how the school would view this situation and how they would perceive my application.

Again, I'm not trying to come off as arrogant, this is just a question I have as I prepare for the upcoming application cycle. Thanks!

Insulin -- It's fine. In recent years especially, there have been growing numbers of people eschewing MD to go DO.

For what it's worth, I have a 35S.

Hey guys I hope your app process is going (as) smoothly (as it can)!

I don't mean this to come off as arrogant or anything so please do not take it this way. This is a genuine question of mine and I was hoping someone could answer it.

I am an instate student in Michigan, and I'm applying this upcoming cycle. One of the schools I'm seriously looking at is MSUCOM. However, my stats are quite a bit above their averages (3.85/ 33S). While this puts me in a good spot for MD schools, I also hold no reservations against DO schools and would be very happy if I got accepted here (i know some great doctors who went there). My question is whether or not they would waste an acceptance on someone with stats quite a few points higher than their average?

I would seriously consider attending this school, and I plan to let them know that, but I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on how the school would view this situation and how they would perceive my application.

Again, I'm not trying to come off as arrogant, this is just a question I have as I prepare for the upcoming application cycle. Thanks!

I have heard of a couple kids from my university with stats like that and are now students at MSU COM. Even though you have high stats it doesn't matter. They really look at extracurriculars and volunteering. They want to know whether you worked during college or not. Also they emphasize what you did during high school. At my visit they said they like to see students who volunteered during high school and not just during college because they were pre-med and it would look good. COM is all about service to the community so I would try to convey that in your essays. Your high stats will help for sure, but they look at the big picture. I have a friend with a lot higher mcat than me but they were rejected from MSU COM and CHM, whereas I was accepted to both and picked COM. I have been planning on the osteopathic route for several years now and didn't want to jump ship to MD. Key is to apply early and be sure to include everything little thing you have done on the secondary.

Start now and get together every single activity you have done since your freshman year of high school. Figure out the dates and hours for each activity. The secondary takes forever, but it is so important to get that acceptance.

Does anyone know why MSU COM, a established school with a really good reputation, has the vast majority of students matching in DO residencies as opposed to a select few in MD residencies, when compared to other DO programs? Is it more of a student choice rationale or something else? Also at the DMC campus if one does not have a car and wants to live close to campus but in a secure area, is that an option? Where do students live in Detroit?

Thanks