NC State as an non-res. -- how competitive?

Started by LilBowWow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LilBowWow

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I read somewhere that NCSU takes around 14 non-residents. That is not too encouraging. Does anyone have an idea of how many non-residents apply? With applications (and the requisite transcripts and GRE score reports) being such a big expense, I am going to limit my out-of-state school applications to places that actually admit a good percentage -- Ohio State being the ideal -- of non-residents.

Any advice on other schools worth applying to? I'm not sure any can match Ohio's numbers, but any advice would be most appreciated!
 
NC takes 14 and the pool is generally between 300 and 400 applicants, I believe (the exact numbers should be somewhere on their website). It can be done though as I and a few other SDNers got accepted out of state to NC last app cycle.

Other out of state friendly schools might be...

Penn - there are 55 out of staters, I think, in my class, however the applicant pool out of state is usually around 1000.

Illinois - accepts something like 25...

Western - doesn't care where you're from

Tufts - takes about 40, I think, but I dont know the pool size

Kansas - I've heard is very out of state friendly

Wisconsin and Minnesota - I dont know numbers but I know/have heard of several people who got into one or both of these schools out of state.

Hope that helps...
 
I think I read somewhere that NCSU takes around 14 non-residents. That is not too encouraging. Does anyone have an idea of how many non-residents apply?

According to the AAVMC book from 2004 matriculation (I can't find my 2005 book) 315 non-residents applied and they took 18. They only took 62 residents that year, so percentage wise, 18 is still kind of high.

Just FYI, it does say here that they have a supplemental, so just be aware of that.

I'd really get the current AAVMC book. It's less then $20 bucks and well worth it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oklahoma State is pretty non-resident friendly too. I was accepted there, and didn't even have to go for an interview! (they only do interviews for in-state applicants) Apparently they accept a lot more out of staters than they can actually keep, because most of the ones they accept I guess decline in the end (like myself!). Good Luck!
 
Thanks for all your posts, guys!

What about Minnesota? Is the fact that it's in Minnesota enough to keep out-of-state apps down (it terms of winters from hell -- other than that there's nothing wrong with the state!)?