Need advice…am I doing this right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrTeach94

Reaction score
Hello all! It’s safe to say that I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now, and looking for some solid guidance. I’m 28yrs old, and graduated with my bachelors about five years ago. Bombed my first year of undergrad, and when I say bomb, I mean flat out failed most courses that first year. Took a hard look in the mirror, did my best to reinvent myself, and ended up with a strong upwards trend. The overall numbers are nowhere near competitive, but ended up with a cGPA of 3.1 and a sGPA of 3.0. I’ve been out of school for a few years now, and have been working as a high school AP physics teacher going on four years.
To cut straight to the point, I recently applied and got accepted to an SMP medical science program. This is an online program without any linkage of the sort. Not ideal, I get it, but the best option for someone like me who has two children and needs to keep the food on the table. Also of note, I have my first MCAT coming up in a month. This lines up perfectly with the start of my SMP starting in the summer. I guess what I really want to know is: am I doing this right? I want to apply this coming cycle, but deep down I know my gpa may very well be my undoing. There are so many questions I want to ask…should I risk applying this term? Is the SMP the right path? Does my gpa force me to address it through some post-bacc courses, or will excelling in the SMP and doing amazing on the MCAT be my saving grace? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank-you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Alright so first things first have you already completed all of your pre-requisites? You mentioned
Took a hard look in the mirror, did my best to reinvent myself, and ended up with a strong upwards trend.

How many semesters was your upward trend and what was your GPA during those semesters? You may not even need additional courses depending on the length and strength of your upward trend.

Also of note, I have my first MCAT coming up in a month.

How long have you been studying for the MCAT? You should only plan to take the MCAT one time and that is when you are ready to take it.

I want to apply this coming cycle, but deep down I know my gpa may very well be my undoing.

The whole point of doing an SMP medical science program is to prove you can handle the rigorous coursework. It also gives you an opportunity to improve other aspects of your application such as clinical experience, shadowing, volunteering, and cultivating meaningful relationships for LOR's. If you were to apply this cycle none of these things would be on your application and it wouldn't help you at all. So you would need to apply the summer of 2024 to matriculate in the fall of 2025.

Reactions: 1 user
All pre-reqs have been completed. I started off freshman fall semester with a 4.0 gpa. Right after (from one spring to the next, summers included) is where my grades plummeted (C’s and F’s). That’s when I got my act together and was able to earn straight A’s for nine straight semesters. My final semester (post-graduation) I unfortunately broke that streak by getting a C in genetics and a B in a mammalian physiology course. I’m hoping that doesn’t disqualify me from the “upward trend.” As far as MCAT goes, I’ve been studying for the past three months, but leaning towards rescheduling due to my full-time job getting in the way. I know the importance of this exam, and I need to be able to give it my full attention. On the plus side, I have a good amount of shadowing and volunteering done. When it comes to the online SMP, do you think it’s for someone like me? Thank-you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems you may want to wait a cycle. If you apply this coming cycle, any GPA increase will not be reflected on your application. Also, you have to take the MCAT and put together all your application materials in a couple of months. Seems very tough when you're working full time (fellow teacher here who had a lot of success this cycle) with kids.

Don't know too much about fixing GPA. Seems like a good trend towards the end is good enough for some schools, but the drop in your final semester may negate that a bit. Definitely buckle down, kill the MCAT, and make sure you don't have to retake!

Hi, fellow 28-year-old parent of two kids here. This is my 2nd application cycle and so far I have 1 DO acceptance and 5 MD waitlists. My first cycle I also had some waitlists. My advice is to apply when you are good and fully ready. You already know where one of your main weak spots is. You can't give admissions committees any more reasons to overlook you. I think my story and my writing got me several interviews, but getting the actual acceptance continues to be difficult for me. I know where my application's weak spots are (clinical experience, a couple low-ish MCAT subsections) and I honestly should have done more to address them before reapplying. It worked out this time with my DO acceptance, but my advice to others is to always apply with the most competitive application you can the first time. There's not a lot you can do about your GPA, but you can get a great MCAT score, make sure all your extracurriculars are strong, apply as early as possible, and probably include a lot of DO schools due to your GPA. Just go through everything in your app and be really honest with yourself about if this is the best your application can be, or if next year you will be better prepared. Being on so many waitlists as a parent sucks, because I can't really plan for moving or childcare, and my husband can't look for a job and it puts us in a real bind. You don't want that outcome, and maybe you can avoid it if you come out strong the first time.

I think you need to wait a year. Your most recent performance was not reassuring, so schools are likely going to want to see you excel in your SMP.

Hello all! It’s safe to say that I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now, and looking for some solid guidance.
I have merged your threads about your question. I agree with what has been mentioned previously in that you will need to complete this SMP to show you are a better student now.