Need help deciding what classes to take this summer

Started by meadow36
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I retake pre-reqs that I got C's in, or take new upper level science that I haven't taken yet? I am limited to two classes this summer and one in the fall due to my schedule/what's being offered, so I've narrowed it down to two options for summer:

First summer session: Biology of Cancer
Second summer session: Medical Bacteriology
-OR-
First session: Microbiology w/ lab (got C+ first time around)
Second session: Medical Bacteriology (or can take Ana/Phys II w/lab, got C+ first time)

I can also retake Biochem in Fall (got B+ first time but some schools want it "updated") or take Virology in Fall.

Help! Each dean that I've talked to has a different opinion, and at this point I don't know what is best.

Thanks for the advice!
 
I would take microbio for summer I, because that is a direct pre-req for some schools (not just a handy upper-level). summer II take the medical bacteriology, and rock it because you'll have just taken micro. 😀

in the fall take virology, because a b+ is good (unless it was a long time ago -- 5 or so years). I know you're looking at re-taking classes for FL, and while that's nice and all, a lot of the other deans said new classes (as you mentioned). Maybe philo will jump on with suggestions, but I would cut FL losses (it seems to be funny with the whole file review thing) and do what will get you in other places.

Then again, I think I'm really jaded about FL. Sorry 🙁
 
I understand about being "FL jaded". 🙂 Anyway, that was the dean that told me not to repeat courses. Other deans suggested "updating" certain courses. My biochem is about 10 years old.
 
Yeah, I would actually take biochem again then (sorry, not one of my favs). but then medical bacteriology is almost an upper-level microbio -- maybe call another school (oos) and ask them specifically? or if you're gung-ho fl, do what they say. i agree that you're in a tough position. Best of luck!