This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jiggerachi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a 3rd year medical student interested in applying for ACGME neurology residency. My medical school class size is huge (in the 200's), but we only match 1-3 neuro residencies per year. So I don't really have too many alumni to turn for advice. I apologize if this type of post comes up too often.

For the people who have been through this process, I was wondering if you can advise me on the number of programs to apply to and the competiveness of the programs I should apply to.

Osteopathic DO medical school on east coast.
Step 1 between 240-245, Comlex level 1 between 615-630.
A few pre-clinical honors (Honors is top 10% in class), all other classes a pass.
All passes thus far 3rd year (our school is Pass, Fail, Honors. Honors you need top 10 percentile on shelf + the top eval score - very frustrated about this)
No neurology rotation allowed 3rd year. Will do electives in neurology beginning of 4th year to get rec letters + audition.
Non traditional student (was another major in college and worked a bit after undergrad)
No research experience (was focusing on getting other career work experience in college)
Extensive volunteer experience before med school but not much during.

Planning to do well on step 2, get some banging rec letters down the road.

Aiming to apply to east coast and midwest programs + "big name" programs elsewhere. Can someone advise me on the number of programs I should be applying to in order to get a safe number of interview invites?

edit: also want to state that I plan on applying only to categorical programs and advanced programs that guarantee their prelim year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a fairly average candidate, right? I would add they generally like to read your personal statement, like in psych, so have a good, compelling hook to land some interviews. Probably 20-30 applications would be sufficient to a good mix of schools. I would shoot for 5-10 interviews; don't over do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a fairly average candidate, right? I would add they generally like to read your personal statement, like in psych, so have a good, compelling hook to land some interviews. Probably 20-30 applications would be sufficient to a good mix of schools. I would shoot for 5-10 interviews; don't over do it.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it. Think I have a shot to the middle to top tier programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, you're a competitive applicant. Your stats are above the average for applicants matching into neuro (step 1 = 230). I am a 4th year DO student that is applying to neurology right now. I have similar stats and you will get a lot of interviews. I didnt have much guidance when I applied. So I apply to like 60 programs and received 30+ interviews; went on 18 and I will rank about 15. Per charting outcomes, it seems like ranking 11 programs gives you a 97% probability of matching.

I would apply to 20-25 programs if I had to do it again. I recommend taking step 2 and aiming for a 240+, getting a LOR from a neurologist, and apply. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Actually, you're a competitive applicant. Your stats are above the average for applicants matching into neuro (step 1 = 230). I am a 4th year DO student that is applying to neurology right now. I have similar stats and you will get a lot of interviews. I didnt have much guidance when I applied. So I apply to like 60 programs and received 30+ interviews; went on 18 and I will rank about 15. Per charting outcomes, it seems like ranking 11 programs gives you a 97% probability of matching.

I would apply to 20-25 programs if I had to do it again. I recommend taking step 2 and aiming for a 240+, getting a LOR from a neurologist, and apply. Good luck!

I appreciate your input. Judging from these posts I should be applying to about 30 programs, but I guess I'll apply to more to be on the safe side. If anyone else has any comments or suggestions, feel free to chime in. Otherwise, thank you and good luck.

I think maximum 30 should probably be your goal. Coming from someone with comparable stats/activities that would probably be plenty unless you run into some issue with step 2 scores or something else. IMO the difference between the "top tier" and "mid tier" programs come down to how research heavy they are. If that matters to you equally as clinical experience then maybe try to get hooked up with someone doing a light project now to show an interest/gain experience. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I think maximum 30 should probably be your goal. Coming from someone with comparable stats/activities that would probably be plenty unless you run into some issue with step 2 scores or something else. IMO the difference between the "top tier" and "mid tier" programs come down to how research heavy they are. If that matters to you equally as clinical experience then maybe try to get hooked up with someone doing a light project now to show an interest/gain experience. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Are you also a DO applicant?

I was not a DO applicant but felt that neuro seemed pretty accepting of DO applicants. Good scores are good scores in my opinion but maybe take that into account if other DO applicants are saying to you that you need to take it into consideration I guess.

Reactions: 1 users