New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what day(s) of the week the admissions committee meets at NYCOM?

How long did it take most people to hear back after their interview? I interviewed on Feb 14 and still haven't received anything in the mail. I've called as recently as last Thursday but they weren't able to tell me much. I'd like to start making back up plans but still feel I have a decent shot at getting in (cGPA=3.775, sGPA=3.558, MCAT=28). Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Feb 13th and got a letter in the mail exactly 2 weeks later.

thoughts on sending a letter of interest/intent post interview before hearing anything back? I REALLY want to go here

thoughts on sending a letter of interest/intent post interview before hearing anything back? I REALLY want to go here

Send thank you emails to the interviewers.

Sending letters of intent never hurt, but think of how many people do this. Imagine being in the admissions office and having 300 letters of intent in your mailbox.

Send thank you emails to the interviewers.

Sending letters of intent never hurt, but think of how many people do this. Imagine being in the admissions office and having 300 letters of intent in your mailbox.
I want to do that but my interviewer never even introduced himself. He was a terrible interviewer and I don't feel that my interview went nearly as well as it should have because he made it so damn awkward. So I'm not sure how to find out who I interviewed with...

I want to do that but my interviewer never even introduced himself. He was a terrible interviewer and I don't feel that my interview went nearly as well as it should have because he made it so damn awkward. So I'm not sure how to find out who I interviewed with...

Send an email to admissions asking who you interviewed with. out of curiousity could you pm me a description of your interviewer

super late interview invite. scheduled for April 3. what are my chances at this point? does anyone know how many seats have already been filled? I'd really love to go here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't be too concerned about the late interview invite. I had my application complete since October and I got the interview invite for April 10. Also, NYCOM got effected by hurricane Sandy and this caused a 2 month delay in things, with interviews even pushed back by several weeks.

interviewed on 02/07 and no response. But received a call from admission office today for second interview scheduled on 04/10. Anyone know what's going on?

interviewed on 02/07 and no response. But received a call from admission office today for second interview scheduled on 04/10. Anyone know what's going on?

Did the 2/7 interview come up at all? Did admissions specifically state it was a second interview, or do you think they may have mistaken something?

Accepted today via snailmail
interviewed 2/28
MCAT 29Q (self-studied), cGPA 3.76, sGPA 3.71, psych major at St John's in Queens, OOS applicant

I wouldn't be too concerned about the late interview invite. I had my application complete since October and I got the interview invite for April 10. Also, NYCOM got effected by hurricane Sandy and this caused a 2 month delay in things, with interviews even pushed back by several weeks.

congrats on the invite! I called earlier today and although she couldn't tell me how many seats are left she did say that they are still interviewing for class seats not the waitlist :)

Has anyone been rejected or wait listed yet? I remember people were saying that the chance of acceptance following interview is high.

Interviewed 3/15 and received my acceptance letter 3/21 :):):)

it's probably too soon to ask but thought i've give it a try anyway!
anyone from 3/12 interviews hear back? thanks

has anyone from the feb 27th interview group heard back yet? i'm seeing all these people who had march interviews hearing back already! jealoussss :(

also has anyone been waitlisted post-interview yet? seems like everyone is getting good news!

has anyone from the feb 27th interview group heard back yet? i'm seeing all these people who had march interviews hearing back already! jealoussss :(

also has anyone been waitlisted post-interview yet? seems like everyone is getting good news!
interviewed 3/13. waitlisted 3/25. bummer.

when are all of you who were accepted will start applying for loans and finalizing the financial side of med school?

when are all of you who were accepted will start applying for loans and finalizing the financial side of med school?

Submit your FAFSA...NOW! So you can be 100% sure you get the maximum if you need it. Once that goes through, then the grad plus loans will be determined to cover the rest.

Just out of curiosity, anyone out there from the Feb 13th morning interviews?

Oh, man, I'm so nervous (first post on SDN!).

My interview is slated for 4/3. I sent them a letter of ref from an alum and a LOI. I really want to go here.

My stats are kind of weird and varied:
Low GPAs: Cum 3.16, Sci 3.00
MCAT: 36Q
No faculty letters of recc, but a committee letter as well as 3 ref letters from physicians, one a NYCOM alum.
No research/volunteer exp in undergrad, but since I graduated in 2011, I have hundreds of hours as an MA, shadowing, volunteering at a hospital, and I was published in a case study.

Do you think that the class is full at this point and I'm likely going to be waitlisted? This is the only US interview I got, I had figured I'd be going to SGU before I got the interview information. Any tips for the interview? AKA, do they ask anything that would be considered unusual?

Thanks so much! Wish me luck!

Oh, man, I'm so nervous (first post on SDN!).

My interview is slated for 4/3. I sent them a letter of ref from an alum and a LOI. I really want to go here.

My stats are kind of weird and varied:
Low GPAs: Cum 3.16, Sci 3.00
MCAT: 36Q
No faculty letters of recc, but a committee letter as well as 3 ref letters from physicians, one a NYCOM alum.
No research/volunteer exp in undergrad, but since I graduated in 2011, I have hundreds of hours as an MA, shadowing, volunteering at a hospital, and I was published in a case study.

Do you think that the class is full at this point and I'm likely going to be waitlisted? This is the only US interview I got, I had figured I'd be going to SGU before I got the interview information. Any tips for the interview? AKA, do they ask anything that would be considered unusual?

Thanks so much! Wish me luck!

They are interviewing/accepting late because of the hurricane delays. If I were you and I didn't get in this cycle, I would take summer classes and retake courses and up my gpa. Then I would reapply. Don't go SGU. You have a freakin 36 mcat, don't sell yourself short.

Interviewed 3/6, letter dated 3/22, post office date 3/25, accepted letter received 3/27.

yep I interviewed on 2/27, in the afternoon group...still waiting :(

Me too. I'm the one who came in late lol I don't know if you remember. anyway my interview was very short. If you did well on the interview, maybe you could try contacting the Admissions or sending a LOI?

Interviewed 2/20, accepted 3/22, got the letter yesterday.

Took a while for it to arrive. Thought something went wrong but phewwww, finally. lol