New York COM (NYCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Interviewed 4/17. I got rejected from my dream MD school today, and NYCOM is my back-up. So I'll be attending here this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol Straight up. Anyway, I always thought the osteopathic approach was cool.

Same thing happened to me. But I realized its way better to be at a place that wants you, right? Also the residency thing. :) we'll show those MDs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what percentage of the waiting list gets accepted?

For those of you who were accepted, when is your second tuition deposit due? This date is critical for you and waitlisted students as well.

For those of you who were accepted, when is your second tuition deposit due? This date is critical for you and waitlisted students as well.

They haven't sent us too much information about anything, however, I do not believe there is a "second deposit". The next payment we have to make will come from our loan disbursements, which is August 16th.

When I talked to admissions a few months ago they told me there was no second deposit.

Really? That seems extremely low. Is that based on last years wait list?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone applied to the DPC program heard back yet?

I have heard back from the DPC program as well. I'm not sure how they are going through the applications. I was accepted in February and sent in the application end of April/early May and I heard back this week.

Still waiting, still super nervous. Should I go in person and ask to talk to somebody? I've already sent 2 LOI. I might bring one in person this week.

Still waiting, still super nervous. Should I go in person and ask to talk to somebody? I've already sent 2 LOI. I might bring one in person this week.
Hi, did you get a confirmation email from them after sending your LOI? I know your feeling. also waitlisted.

Has there been any movement with the wait list?

I don'tthink another LOI will do much. Sending 2 is already showing you really want to go there. You are probably ranked on a list.

i just got my acceptance letter today. interviewed 3/12. waitlisted 5/2. accepted 6/19. phew.
28 cgpa 3.3 sgpa 3.0

Reactions: 1 user
i just got my acceptance letter today. interviewed 3/12. waitlisted 5/2. accepted 6/19. phew.
28 cgpa 3.3 sgpa 3.0

Awesome!!! Your patience paid off. Hopefully more good news is coming our way. I am surprised they are still mailing decisions.

Does anyone know how the actual schedule will be?

Like what time class starts? To which classroom we have to report to and etc?

I know that orientation is still little apart but was just curious.:)

thanks

And best of work to everyone!

Hi all :) I have a question for current NYCOM students. I'll be attending NYCOM this year and am starting to look for apartments. I'm from the Bronx, so I've gone out to LI a couple times to look at the areas around the school. I like the Oyster Bay town area, but I would like to be as close as possible to other NYCOM students. Do a lot of students live in Oyster Bay, or do most live in Glen Cove? Any advise on the subject would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi all :) I have a question for current NYCOM students. I'll be attending NYCOM this year and am starting to look for apartments. I'm from the Bronx, so I've gone out to LI a couple times to look at the areas around the school. I like the Oyster Bay town area, but I would like to be as close as possible to other NYCOM students. Do a lot of students live in Oyster Bay, or do most live in Glen Cove? Any advise on the subject would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I'm a second year and most people live in Glen Cove and surrounding towns. The Town of Oyster Bay is a little confusing because it encompasses a lot of little towns in it (Old Brookville, Sea Cliff, Bayville etc.) and NYCOM students do live in those areas. IMO, Glen Cove is probably your best bet as far as affordable and available housing. I have lived in GC for a year now and am very happy with the distance to campus (under 10 mins) and rent. Many students live within walking distance of me and my roommates. Best of luck!

hi...congrats to all who got accepted! i am applying for the upcoming cycle and i was wondering how does NYIT-COM look at MCAT retakes? do they take the most recent score? or do they avg the two scores? or do they take the highest from each section?!?!?!

also did anyone with my stats get interviews/acceptances? i have a 3.1cGPA 3.6sGPA 23MCAT P,V,BS 9,7,7 (first take) 27MCAT P,V,BS 8,9,10(retake)... a couple of thousand hours of volunteer work (non-clinical) 200 clinical hours (shadowing/hospital, etc) LOR from DO and strong LOR's...decent EC's... my primary will be released next week to schools... i think i am still fairly early. i hope.. thank you for your help/input.

hi...congrats to all who got accepted! i am applying for the upcoming cycle and i was wondering how does NYIT-COM look at MCAT retakes? do they take the most recent score? or do they avg the two scores? or do they take the highest from each section?!?!?!

also did anyone with my stats get interviews/acceptances? i have a 3.1cGPA 3.6sGPA 23MCAT P,V,BS 9,7,7 (first take) 27MCAT P,V,BS 8,9,10(retake)... a couple of thousand hours of volunteer work (non-clinical) 200 clinical hours (shadowing/hospital, etc) LOR from DO and strong LOR's...decent EC's... my primary will be released next week to schools... i think i am still fairly early. i hope.. thank you for your help/input.

BTW i am a NY resident! :)

I'm a second year and most people live in Glen Cove and surrounding towns. The Town of Oyster Bay is a little confusing because it encompasses a lot of little towns in it (Old Brookville, Sea Cliff, Bayville etc.) and NYCOM students do live in those areas. IMO, Glen Cove is probably your best bet as far as affordable and available housing. I have lived in GC for a year now and am very happy with the distance to campus (under 10 mins) and rent. Many students live within walking distance of me and my roommates. Best of luck!

Thank you. Are most of the apartments in buildings or houses? I'm sure I'll find out as I look. Going to give it another week or two and then go find a place. Thx again.

Def live anywhere in town of oyster bay(tobay) because then you can goto Tobay beach..which is a lot better than jones beach.

I got off the wait list on june 27th and received the acceptance letter via mail on july 1st.

Got mine on July 1st as well and the letter was dated June 27th.

@hmnr and am1960

Nice! That gives you both enough time
To make arrangements. I am still waitlisted. I think there is more good news to come. I am trying to stay optimistic.

Did anyone get in with an MCAT between 24 - 26 or below?

Hello guys! I am new on this site,didn't know how to post my question in the right place..but I'd like to ask whats NYCOM tuition for IMGs ? is 50k for 4 years? I tool my USMLEs back in 1999 and I did pass step 2 but not step 1,so I was working back home for years in internal medicine and ER, I am now in the US and I have a Green card,
not sure what are my options ?
should I take USMLEs again ? and is it easy to get residency after all these years of graduation from med school ? I want to know before I start any process because taking USMLEs again is gonna take a couple of years for me .
Or should I consider going to DO school like NYCOM? and start over
Or may a PA program for a couple of years but I heard that they are very competitive and very hard to get into and very expensive ..please help ..or tell me where to post the question ,thanks

This page has been abnormally quiet. Has anyone received any notifications from admissions or surrendered their seat for the fall?

Does everybody do the Big Brother/Sister program? Would matriculating students recommend it? Thanks

Thank you. Are most of the apartments in buildings or houses? I'm sure I'll find out as I look. Going to give it another week or two and then go find a place. Thx again.
Use FB and check to see current 2nd and third years leaving their apartments. Also a lot of people in the NYCOM surrounding areas rent apartments or rooms that are part of their homes that are cheap (and most of the time have no lease)

you could even rent until anatomy is over and then save some money, live at home, and stream everything =)