NHSC Scholarship 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you applying to the NHSC this year?

• Yes

Votes: 204 66.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 12.9%
  • Already got it!

Votes: 31 10.0%

• Total voters
I uploaded my documents and signed the contract Monday but just went to double check them and realized that my computer never saved the information I filled out on my W-4 so I uploaded a blank document… I called them and they basically just said I’ll hear back with an answer on what to do in 3-5 business days. Hoping it doesn’t impact my ability to get the scholarship now :/ don’t make the same mistake I did and make sure you triple check everything before uploading!
. My w-4 uploaded blank as well and they said the some thing lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
. My w-4 uploaded blank as well and they said the some thing lol

At least we’re in this together lol
The lady didn’t seem to think it would impact us getting the scholarship or not so let’s hope it works out!

You are not guaranteed a job. That is the beauty and the horror of it. Beauty because you get to choose where you work (location and organization). Just find a job opening at a qualifying ”site” on the workforce connector, apply, interview, accept. Horror because you only have 180 days to find something right out of school. If you don’t find one in time, you are in default and would owe 3x what they paid for your schooling plus interest on all of it. You can change jobs at any point, as long as the new site is approved. If you leave before finding a new site (like I did), you have 90 days to find a job or else you face the same penalties (prorated of course). And you better believe that I stared that deadline down to the very last day and accepted a job on day 89. I would not recommend that route.
Thanks for the insight, how hard is it to find a job?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight, how hard is it to find a job?
That depends on how picky you are. There are jobs, and lots of them (with the exception of PA jobs, I hear they have a significantly harder time finding jobs than dental), but you may have to go somewhere you didn’t think you’d want to. I restricted myself to Colorado (self-inflicted licensing issue), and I was able to get multiple offers both times I was job searching. COVID made things significantly harder, but I still had my choice of jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
At least we’re in this together lol
The lady didn’t seem to think it would impact us getting the scholarship or not so let’s hope it works out!
Okay I got this response back from them “The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) received your inquiry regarding Confirmation of Interest (COI) and whether your documentation was submitted correctly. The NHSC SP will be conducting a review and follow up next week on documents which were submitted through COI. If there are any problems with any of your submitted documents through COI, a NHSC representative will be reaching out to you to collect the corrected information or new form next week “

Okay I got this response back from them “The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program (NHSC SP) received your inquiry regarding Confirmation of Interest (COI) and whether your documentation was submitted correctly. The NHSC SP will be conducting a review and follow up next week on documents which were submitted through COI. If there are any problems with any of your submitted documents through COI, a NHSC representative will be reaching out to you to collect the corrected information or new form next week “
8F5CB8EE-5432-425C-8ECF-6DDD47533549.jpeg

Similarly, I got this email from them today too!

Reactions: 3 users
maybe this means we will be hearing back official news and get a countersignature next week or the following!!! :D

is it okay that i have attached my undergraduate transcript bc a lady on the phone told me to do so?

hello! was this a reply to a previous email you sent?

hey everyone-
if we are an awarded scholar, are we guaranteed a job with the NHSC?? if there are limited job openings at the time of starting our contract, what happens then?
I have never really seen an answer for this
If you cannot find a job at an NHSC approved site, they will find a job for you and move you anywhere within the US and its territories to do so. Not an ideal situation...

Members don't see this ad :)
assuming we actually get the award...how do you guys plan on "paying" for dental school until the award goes through? loans?

assuming we actually get the award...how do you guys plan on "paying" for dental school until the award goes through? loans?
I asked the financial aid office at my school and they said just to wait and keep everything the same (loans) until the decision has been made and then they can send back the loans after if the scholarship is awarded. You could always ask your financial aid office as well just in case and let them know you are a finalist waiting to hear back if you will receive the scholarship or not... your school may have a different protocol, but I'm sure they have had students in the same position before.

Thanks for updating me!

So let’s say we get FAFSA money disbursed when a new semester resumes in August to cover the cost of living.Will we need to return the money whenever NHSC clears our tuition balances and start paying us stipend (around November)

If you cannot find a job at an NHSC approved site, they will find a job for you and move you anywhere within the US and its territories to do so. Not an ideal situation...
This is not true. I would have LOVED to have the option of going anywhere they assigned me. Less gut-wrenching anxiety that way. They are not nearly as helpful as that. The most they will do for you is find potential jobs for you to apply to and then send emails every week or month reminding you that you need to find a job (or else). Way less ideal situation… If you need proof, I can post a copy of the email I was sent when I was at risk of defaulting on my commitment.

This is not true. I would have LOVED to have the option of going anywhere they assigned me. Less gut-wrenching anxiety that way. They are not nearly as helpful as that. The most they will do for you is find potential jobs for you to apply to and then send emails every week or month reminding you that you need to find a job (or else). Way less ideal situation… If you need proof, I can post a copy of the email I was sent when I was at risk of defaulting on my commitment.
Do you regret accepting the scholarship?

I feel like a lot of these “problems” associated with the nhsc aren’t too significant considering they are covering your entire tuition. So many people would kill to get this and heck I’ll go to Mars if they told me because not having to worry about debt is such a blessing.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Do you regret accepting the scholarship?
No, not at all. Mostly because I would have been working in a community health center anyway. That’s my ideal job setting, so why not get free tuition/fees along the way? Some of my issues were extremely unique and I don’t think they would affect many, if any, people. My first job was an absolutely terrible, toxic place to work with a horrible, incompetent, authoritative boss. So, there’s that. But then COVID ruined everything and the NHSC was just an added stressor to the situation. A MAJOR added stressor.
Most issues can be avoided with proper communication between you and the NHSC. I don’t think they are run super efficiently, but the horror stories that you find when googling the program are usually from people who tried to game the system or who didn’t know exactly what they were getting into. Do your research, go in with your eyes wide open, and then follow the rules. If you do that, in 4 years you’ll be debt free and in 8 years you’ll be free free.

Reactions: 4 users
No, not at all. Mostly because I would have been working in a community health center anyway. That’s my ideal job setting, so why not get free tuition/fees along the way? Some of my issues were extremely unique and I don’t think they would affect many, if any, people. My first job was an absolutely terrible, toxic place to work with a horrible, incompetent, authoritative boss. So, there’s that. But then COVID ruined everything and the NHSC was just an added stressor to the situation. A MAJOR added stressor.
Most issues can be avoided with proper communication between you and the NHSC. I don’t think they are run super efficiently, but the horror stories that you find when googling the program are usually from people who tried to game the system or who didn’t know exactly what they were getting into. Do your research, go in with your eyes wide open, and then follow the rules. If you do that, in 4 years you’ll be debt free and in 8 years you’ll be free free.
I don’t follow - what do you mean 8 years you’ll be free free

You are not guaranteed a job. That is the beauty and the horror of it. Beauty because you get to choose where you work (location and organization). Just find a job opening at a qualifying ”site” on the workforce connector, apply, interview, accept. Horror because you only have 180 days to find something right out of school. If you don’t find one in time, you are in default and would owe 3x what they paid for your schooling plus interest on all of it. You can change jobs at any point, as long as the new site is approved. If you leave before finding a new site (like I did), you have 90 days to find a job or else you face the same penalties (prorated of course). And you better believe that I stared that deadline down to the very last day and accepted a job on day 89. I would not recommend that route.
kdljsfslkdflsdflsdkfsmckdsfsdmcdsfk;lsd,c;alsdkf;dl,c;ldf;laskd;lasd;,slxldmloskf;dsfksfk;ls,d

When applying for a site is it just a simple job application or is it complex and competitive like the app for the scholarship where you have to write essays and get recommendation letters to prove why you are the best fit for that location?

kdljsfslkdflsdflsdkfsmckdsfsdmcdsfk;lsd,c;alsdkf;dl,c;ldf;laskd;lasd;,slxldmloskf;dsfksfk;ls,d

When applying for a site is it just a simple job application or is it complex and competitive like the app for the scholarship where you have to write essays and get recommendation letters to prove why you are the best fit for that location?
Simple job application. The process is dependent on the site since they are all separate entities. Apply, interview, accept. They will probably ask for references just for HR or credentialing, but that’s typical.
It is somewhat competitive. The good thing is you are usually only competing between other NHSC scholarship or loan repayment people instead of everybody like you did for the scholarship. And they give different HPSA scores to different programs to help spread out the competition. You have somewhat of an edge over non-NHSC people because they know you are committed to years of service and turnover can be pretty high.

The same thing happened with my EVF and I’ve been scrambling talking to people to get it fixed. Nobody has told me this! It puts my mind at ease a little😅

How do you complete the W4… I’m still confused. I can’t fill out most of the info

Never mind I got it.
It’s so wild… this usually means you received it 100% but seems like everyone got this email

Never mind I got it.
It’s so wild… this usually means you received it 100% but seems like everyone got this email
Like I found with medical school admissions, only a small minority of people are on sdn haha. 10% of people in the country who apply get it. And a lot of people apply.

Like I found with medical school admissions, only a small minority of people are on sdn haha. 10% of people in the country who apply get it. And a lot of people apply.
True! That plus the $800 million extra…

Has anyone has an update yet? I know it’s early but I’m hoping to hear soon and not mid September.

Has anyone has an update yet? I know it’s early but I’m hoping to hear soon and not mid September.
I spoke to someone who received the 4 year scholarship last year who said NHSC notified students about the award a week before the end of September :/

• Wow
Super late but I also got a finalist email! Hope this definitively means we’ve earned it!

Hoping for today to be the confirmation

They emailed me saying they’ll be going through our paperwork and checking through everything and reaching out if we need to fix or resubmit anything. So could be soon!

They emailed me saying they’ll be going through our paperwork and checking through everything and reaching out if we need to fix or resubmit anything. So could be soon!
Did everyone get a confirmation email after submitting their paperwork? I never received anything?

Did everyone get a confirmation email after submitting their paperwork? I never received anything?

Sorry, should have clarified. My W-4 uploaded blank so I had reached out to them with a help request and that was their response to me

Yes, you will have to pay back living expenses on your own (the refund). In terms of the amount I typically get 12k per semester "refunded". I am not sure if that will change once you get the stipend also...
Hi I have the same question, my school gives me a refund for living expenses. Will the scholarship do the same? Or does it only pay for the balance that is due if so did anybody have to take out additional loans to pay for living?

Shout out to my anxiety once again for making me estimate the countersignature timeline from previous cycles lol:

Finalist Notifications:
Maintenance:
Countersignature notifications:
2021: (delta variant>.<) Monday, August 9, 2021
?​
?​
2020 (pandemic): Wednesday, August 19 8:00 AM to approximately 5:00 PM EST on Saturday, August 29th, 2020Friday, September 18, 2020, at 11:30 am, by Jamie King
2019: Tuesday, August 6Maintenance Saturday, August 17th
Maintenance for Saturday, Sept 7th
Monday, September 9, 2019, at 2:30 pm, by Jamie King
2018: Wednesday, August 8Maintenance from Thursday, September 13, 2018, at 05:00 PM to Friday, September 14, 2018, at 12:00 AM ET.Friday, September 14, 2018, by Jamie King
2017: Friday, August 4Maintenance from 10:00 PM on Friday, August 25th, 2017 to approximately 6:00 AM EST Saturday, August 26th, 2017Thursday, September 7, 2017, by Jamie King
2016: Wednesday, July 27Friday, August 26Tuesday, September 6, 2016, by Jamie King
2015: Tuesday, July 21Saturday, August 15 from 7 AM - 5 PM ESTTuesday, August 25, 2015

Based on this information, maybe we will hear back in the second or third week of September!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Shout out to my anxiety once again for making me estimate the countersignature timeline from previous cycles lol:

Finalist Notifications:
Maintenance:
?​
?​
2020 (pandemic): Wednesday, August 19 8:00 AM to approximately 5:00 PM EST on Saturday, August 29th, 2020Friday, September 18, 2020, at 11:30 am, by Jamie King
2018: Wednesday, August 8Maintenance from Thursday, September 13, 2018, at 05:00 PM to Friday, September 14, 2018, at 12:00 AM ET.Friday, September 14, 2018, by Jamie King
2017: Friday, August 4Maintenance from 10:00 PM on Friday, August 25th, 2017 to approximately 6:00 AM EST Saturday, August 26th, 2017Thursday, September 7, 2017, by Jamie King
2016: Wednesday, July 27Friday, August 26Tuesday, September 6, 2016, by Jamie King
2015: Tuesday, July 21Saturday, August 15 from 7 AM - 5 PM ESTTuesday, August 25, 2015

Based on this information, maybe we will hear back in the second or third week of September!
Bro you guys are clutch!

Hi I have the same question, my school gives me a refund for living expenses. Will the scholarship do the same? Or does it only pay for the balance that is due if so did anybody have to take out additional loans to pay for living?
I think you get $1300 montly for a living stipend. So you’d still have to take out some loans for rent and living!

I think you get $1300 montly for a living stipend. So you’d still have to take out some loans for rent and living!
Now how does the loan system work? Once we get the nhsc do we cancel or refund all our loans or get to choose how much so we can account for living expenses ?

Now how does the loan system work? Once we get the nhsc do we cancel or refund all our loans or get to choose how much so we can account for living expenses ?
Not sure how it works but I know you notify your financial advisor as soon as you know you got the scholarship and they refund all the tuition loans from grad PLUS etc. As for the refund I personally want to keep all of it because the $1300 wont be enough.

Finalist Notifications:
Maintenance:
?​
?​

Looks like the maintenance is coming! Between 8 PM and 10 AM (08/18-08/19)
Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 3.16.33 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users