This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kshamp

Reaction score
I am currently completing my PharmD and plan on applying to medical school next year. Since the PharmD curriculum does not include all of required courses for medical school eligibility, I was told by my advisor that I would need to complete a pre-medical minor in order to meet the necessary requirements. Well I just finished my pre-med minor last semester and just realized that I was not required to complete Biology I lab as a requisite for completion of the minor.

My understanding is that the vast majority of medical schools require 1 year of Biology lab. Although I did not complete Biology I lab, I did complete Biology II lab, as well as Microbiology I lab. I wasn't sure if this combination would count as 1 year of Biology lab, or if I would still need to complete Biology I lab. If not, would I be able to complete this course at another school?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will accept this combo while others won’t. You can apply to schools and if you interview/get accepted to a school that requires bio 1 lab, you can complete it spring prior to matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the replies.

I ended up meeting with an advisor at school yesterday who also mentioned that it would depend on the medical school that I am applying too.

As a follow up question, would it be a good idea to contact the admission departments of the schools I am interested in applying to in order to find out if they would accept biology I and microbiology I labs towards my 1 year of biology lab requirement? I looked online but this information was not readily available for the schools that I looked at.

As a follow up question, would it be a good idea to contact the admission departments of the schools I am interested in applying to in order to find out if they would accept biology I and microbiology I labs towards my 1 year of biology lab requirement? I looked online but this information was not readily available for the schools that I looked at.
I don't think it would hurt to ask at this point whether they would allow the substitution. Unfortunately, the person answering your phone call or email may not be be the person with authority to give a definitive answer (though they might sound like they're giving one, anyway). A second option, asking for a waiver of the requirement, should be deferred until after you've gotten an acceptance. As only a limited number of waivers are permitted, the answer might be No. If you got this answer late in the cycle, eg, related to getting off a waitlist, there might not be time to get the class completed before med school matriculation. As you can see, the least stressful course of action would be to plan on getting the Bio 1 Lab in elsewhere, to fulfill the requirement.

Another place you might get the information you're looking for, would be to post in the School-Specific Forum for each school you are wondering about (from the last cycle) and see if someone who previously posted in the thread had an experience similar to yours.

I don't think it would hurt to ask at this point whether they would allow the substitution. Unfortunately, the person answering your phone call or email may not be be the person with authority to give a definitive answer (though they might sound like they're giving one, anyway). A second option, asking for a waiver of the requirement, should be deferred until after you've gotten an acceptance. As only a limited number of waivers are permitted, the answer might be No. If you got this answer late in the cycle, eg, related to getting off a waitlist, there might not be time to get the class completed before med school matriculation. As you can see, the least stressful course of action would be to plan on getting the Bio 1 Lab in elsewhere, to fulfill the requirement.

Another place you might get the information you're looking for, would be to post in the School-Specific Forum for each school you are wondering about (from the last cycle) and see if someone who previously posted in the thread had an experience similar to yours.

I see. Getting the course done would definitely put me at ease. That is the last thing I want to worry about during the application process. And it is only 1 credit so it shouldn't be difficult, even if it is extra work. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: 1 user

I was rereading over your replies and wanted to ask you a follow up question. I saw that you mentioned that more than once that if I am accepted, and the lab is required, I can take it prior to matriculation. My main concern was that not having the lab requirement on my transcript would hurt my chances of landing an interview as well as being accepted. Do medical school generally look at these logistics following acceptance? In other words, is it ok for me to apply not knowing if the schools I will be applying to will require me to take this lab?

Do medical school generally look at these logistics following acceptance? In other words, is it ok for me to apply not knowing if the schools I will be applying to will require me to take this lab?
As long as you apply broadly, say, not just to five schools, there should be a number of them where the pending course won't be an issue. Eventually, your transcripts will be scrutinized to be sure you've fulfilled all the requirements. While some might inquire as to your plans, all won't. It is your responsibility to be sure every requirement is accounted for on the final official transcripts that will be required prior to matriculation.