Not sure if I should even be posting in here yet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dochopeful89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have another thread here about being a non-trad student. I haven't taken the MCAT, yet, so sorry if this is wasting anyone's time. I am looking at trying to apply in 2018. I expect to have 300+ clinical volunteer hours minimum by that time, 300+ minimum non-clinical volunteer hours. I had a 3.66 cGPA (I wrote 3.68 cGPA on my old thread I checked and was wrong; it's a little lower than I remembered). A 3.43 sGPA (much worse than I particularly remembered). Practice MCATs I took in the past and expect to be able to get in the future (though, with the different scale, I suppose) had me at about 35. I want to try to get a 36+, and I have two years to study (for which I am plenty motivated to study every day like I currently am). Though, for this purpose, let's assume I got a 33, hopefully being a little conservative.

I'm trying to get in to the best MD program I can get into. I am debating taking the time to retake courses (none of my science courses were below a B, just seemed to have a few more of the Bs and than the As). So, I'm posting to really try to get the best advice I can get. If I wanted to go to one of the schools that was on the Top 25 US News and World Report rankings, what would I really need to improve the most.

Life is pretty stable so I'm not coming close to deadlines, so if your advice was "you need more time to fix your problems," then that's okay. This is a life-long dream for me. I'll do what I need to in order to go. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't re-take B's with a Cgpa of 3.66.
Focus on the MCAT.
I can't imagine studying for 2 years would be of any use, though.
Are you a veteran?

No one, however well qualified, can focus on admission to a single school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Well, studying for two years really won't be just MCAT-focused entirely. I have some kids, so I'm giving a little extra time. And, I am running through my old textbooks using old syllabi as guides. I'm going to try to freshen up on more than just test material.

And yes, I'm currently active duty and will be getting out next year. Will that affect my admissions process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and I am, of course, planning on applying to many schools. Minimum 6 when I do apply. I just have a few in mind I really want to attend.

Oh, and I am, of course, planning on applying to many schools. Minimum 6 when I do apply. I just have a few in mind I really want to attend.
The average number is closer to 12 iirc.
Your state of residence has a major influence on this.
And yes, I'm currently active duty and will be getting out next year. Will that affect my admissions process?
It's huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many ways to go about studying for the mcat. As there are likely several ways that have been effective listed in forums here. I do think there is some merit in taking time to have a strong hold on the content, but at some point I would advise a buckling down, all-out study period of 6-8 weeks to learn the test and the way it has you apply material.

Well, I know state of residence has an issue (this next statement may be way left of center if I have my facts wrong), but from my understanding of GI Bill nowadays, veterans can (are, to the best of my knowledge) be considered in-state students at all public schools, undergrad or graduate level.

Could you expound a little gyngyn on how huge it is to the process? I've known a few people who seemed to think it hurt their ability to get in and some who seemed like it benefited them. I just don't want it to be a detriment when I go to apply.

Well, I know state of residence has an issue (this next statement may be way left of center if I have my facts wrong), but from my understanding of GI Bill nowadays, veterans can (are, to the best of my knowledge) be considered in-state students at all public schools, undergrad or graduate level.

Could you expound a little gyngyn on how huge it is to the process? I've known a few people who seemed to think it hurt their ability to get in and some who seemed like it benefited them. I just don't want it to be a detriment when I go to apply.

You're considered in state for tuition purposes which is different from medical applications. I believe your state of residence will be your home of record on your LES.

Okay, I'm a little confused about the applications piece. Why would I have a different number of applications based on my state of residence? As in, I should apply to all in-state schools? Or...? Are there some links I should have seen to learn more about this? Please pardon any ignorance on this. I've done some forum searching but I haven't particularly aeen anything that would apply to me with regards to that.

Okay, I'm a little confused about the applications piece. Why would I have a different number of applications based on my state of residence? As in, I should apply to all in-state schools? Or...? Are there some links I should have seen to learn more about this? Please pardon any ignorance on this. I've done some forum searching but I haven't particularly aeen anything that would apply to me with regards to that.

Applications are centralized, so for MD schools you make your primary application through AMCAS, DO schools through AACOMAS and Texas schools through TMDSAS. When you do the primary application you fill out your demographics that includes your state of residence. So let's say you're applying through AMCAS, you fill in the primary application and pick all the schools you're interested in and they(AMCAS) submit it to all the schools in however many states you're applying to but from your demographics will let them know which state you're from. Most public schools are state subsidized so they require a certain percentage of their class to be from within the state.