NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been doing exactly that. I think, however, that it's making the anxiety worse. I check it WAY too often :scared:.

Just keep your head up! I'll make sure to send all the :luck: I can your way (and they way of the others here waiting). Maybe doing a little yoga could help you with that anxiety..... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Was deciding between CCOM and NSU and just sent in my deposit for NSU. I'm waiting for Western's decision but for now I'm going to Florida!

Just keep your head up! I'll make sure to send all the :luck: I can your way (and they way of the others here waiting). Maybe doing a little yoga could help you with that anxiety..... ;)

Thank you!!! Yoga is definitely helping. Throughout this whole application process my 2 sessions a week have turned into 5 :laugh:.

"badapplestix" congrats on making it to Florida! You'll love it here! As long as you're ok with spontaneous rain and horrible humidity in addition to the palm trees and fun in the sun :D.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how much longer Nova is interviewing for?

I've been complete since mid November, still no invite, says "decision pending" on my profile, ugh...

is there any hope for me left? I called them, and they said that I'm still under review, I'm wondering if that is true, or just a silent rejection

do they actually send rejection letters, or do the just give rejectees a silent shoulder?
I'm wondering if there's any point submitting a letter of intent at this point

Anyone know how much longer Nova is interviewing for?

I've been complete since mid November, still no invite, says "decision pending" on my profile, ugh...

is there any hope for me left? I called them, and they said that I'm still under review, I'm wondering if that is true, or just a silent rejection

do they actually send rejection letters, or do the just give rejectees a silent shoulder?
I'm wondering if there's any point submitting a letter of intent at this point

They do notify you if you're rejected or differed. Though I read on this thread that they mail those notifications out via snail mail and not email. Also, everyone at Nova is awesome to their applicants so I doubt they'll give you a 'silent rejection'. Just do what I do and check your webstar 50 times a day until you see a change :eek:. j/k, :laugh:.

Thank you!!! Yoga is definitely helping. Throughout this whole application process my 2 sessions a week have turned into 5 :laugh:.

"badapplestix" congrats on making it to Florida! You'll love it here! As long as you're ok with spontaneous rain and horrible humidity in addition to the palm trees and fun in the sun :D.

Hopefully there will be enough free time to experience all of that lol

They do notify you if you're rejected or differed. Though I read on this thread that they mail those notifications out via snail mail and not email. Also, everyone at Nova is awesome to their applicants so I doubt they'll give you a 'silent rejection'. Just do what I do and check your webstar 50 times a day until you see a change :eek:. j/k, :laugh:.

Keep checking it Yogi. One of these times it will actually change! :luck: Good luck!

I really wish I'd get an interview here!! I called about 2 weeks ago to find out that they never linked my DO letter to my app, so I wasn't complete until they fixed that. Think I still have a chance of getting an interview this late in the game?

hey! does anybody have the link to the website to pay the deposit. i need to pay my second deposit and lost the sheet that had the information. thanks!

so I found out that my DO letter was just submitted! I don't know if that has anything to do with my waiting status...

they do sometimes offer interviews before receiving the DO letter, but I guess that is rare...

I just notified them about the new letter, and the lady on the phone was very nice, she said she will email my admissions counselor about the addition...

I would suggest everyone who is still waiting call the office, and make sure that all their lors are linked to their application, it could make all the difference

good luck to all those still waiting... hopefully we all still have a shot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nova is interviewing at least until the first week of March - I'm giving some of the tours between now and then!! :) (but past that, I don't know). Good luck on your applications - hope to see you here soon!

How's it going guys...I interviewed at Nova on 01/28 and was told that the admissions committe is backed up and would meet on 02/17 (yesterday). I left a message to my counselor and she told me that the committee did indeed meet, but has not released a decision. She also told me that the group that interviewed before us will not a recieve a decision until the 2nd week in March. I'm not sure what this means for anyone that has interviewed after that date. I hope they are not waiting to complete interviews before making decisions, because Nova is suppose to have a rolling admissions. Sorry for the lengthy post..I'm also desperately waiting to hear a decision.

so do we all have to wait until the second week of march to hear back? my webstar still says "decision: invited for interview"

Hi everyone, I have posted everything i've heard as of today 02/18. One more thing, I was told that when they do release their decisions, that the Webstar is updated within 15 minutes. So that means no waiting on snail mail! (which at this point is a blessing). Best of Luck to everyone, if i find out anymore info i will gladly post here in the forum. Hope to see u guys come August.

did anyone else on here interview on 01/28? For you guys who interviewed on 01/21 or on 02/02 what was the word regarding a decision? I've scrolled the the forum and it seems like Nova had a pretty good turn around time with acceptances before the holiday break. I'm really hoping this mid march status release is just a worse case scenario!

did anyone else on here interview on 01/28? For you guys who interviewed on 01/21 or on 02/02 what was the word regarding a decision? I've scrolled the the forum and it seems like Nova had a pretty good turn around time with acceptances before the holiday break. I'm really hoping this mid march status release is just a worse case scenario!

i sent them an email today to see if i could weasel out an exact date from them, and this was the response (oh i interviewed 1/21):

A decision has not yet been made on your file. I do not anticipate the Committee of Admissions to release decisions until mid to the end of March.

END OF MARCH?!!! I wonder what's going on over there....I really hope they aren't waiting to finish all interviews before they make a decision...can they do that? they are suppose to be a rolling admissions school right?

END OF MARCH?!!! I wonder what's going on over there....I really hope they aren't waiting to finish all interviews before they make a decision...can they do that? they are suppose to be a rolling admissions school right?

i nominate you to send the email or make the phone call to get those questions answered :p.

Ha ha..no i think i'll be a good lil boy and wait like the rest of us ;)! This is the only interview i have attended and def don't want to mess up my chances....march does seem like an eternity at this point..lol

Hi everyone!

I'm applying here for Fall 2011 entry... does NOVA accept students OOS? (I am from NY).

For those that have interviewed/put in deposits... are you impressed with the facilities, anatomy lab, student life, etc? How is the area?

More importantly, do students get accepted into great residencies, like Internal Medicine? (MD residencies too?)

I'm excited to apply!

Good luck everyone and take care :)

Yes Nova accepts out of state students.

facilities are awesome, the school is really nice, and the faculty and staff seem really friendly and open to students. the area around campus is nice, and is about 15 minutes from the beach and about 5-10 minutes from downtown fort lauderdale where there are a good amount of clubs/bars (not like we will have that much time for that during school, but maybe after exams and holiday breaks).

students who attend nova get accepted into a variety of residencies. with a quick search, you can find where past students have placed (which specialty and where). Internal Medicine residencies are not that competitive and you would have a very strong chance of obtaining one by going to Nova, doing well in your classes and doing decent on the COMLEX and/or USMLE. You can apply to MD residencies as well (although most MD residencies require you take the USMLE in addition to taking the COMLEX).

Good luck applying next cycle. Apply early to give yourself the best chances of getting an interview/accepted.

Hey! I'm originally from Brooklyn and I'm going to NSU as an undergrad right now (yes it's more than a medical school lol). The school is beautiful and the area (Davie) is very nice. The cost of living is pretty similar to NY though and you definitely need a car! You have to drive to get anywhere, even to the grocery store. The weather is amazing- right now it's in the 70's and perfect outside, while the rest of the US is freezing =) It's also one of the most competitive DO schools, their average MCAT is 27. The only thing I don't like is the parking situation but since you're from NY it shouldn't be a big deal! Definitely apply early and make sure you have good extracurriculars and LORs. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!!

Hi everyone!

I'm applying here for Fall 2011 entry... does NOVA accept students OOS? (I am from NY).

For those that have interviewed/put in deposits... are you impressed with the facilities, anatomy lab, student life, etc? How is the area?

More importantly, do students get accepted into great residencies, like Internal Medicine? (MD residencies too?)

I'm excited to apply!

Good luck everyone and take care :)

Yes Nova accepts out of state students.

facilities are awesome, the school is really nice, and the faculty and staff seem really friendly and open to students. the area around campus is nice, and is about 15 minutes from the beach and about 5-10 minutes from downtown fort lauderdale where there are a good amount of clubs/bars (not like we will have that much time for that during school, but maybe after exams and holiday breaks).

students who attend nova get accepted into a variety of residencies. with a quick search, you can find where past students have placed (which specialty and where). Internal Medicine residencies are not that competitive and you would have a very strong chance of obtaining one by going to Nova, doing well in your classes and doing decent on the COMLEX and/or USMLE. You can apply to MD residencies as well (although most MD residencies require you take the USMLE in addition to taking the COMLEX).

Good luck applying next cycle. Apply early to give yourself the best chances of getting an interview/accepted.

Thank you very much for the info!

Do students find the coursework challenging/medical school "worthy" (please, I hope anyone reading this doesn't take this the wrong way. I simply ask because I have heard some horror stories about the new for-profit DO schools where it is so easy, that students have a low COMLEX/USMLE pass rate...) (Plus I am new to exploring DO schools).

What is the cadaver to student ratio? (Again, I have heard some ridiculous numbers of there being like 15 people for one cadaver at some DO schools b/c of bigger entering class sizes). Does NSU have cadavers?

Is it lecture based or PBL or both?

Oh, and... kind of silly, but since I am from NY...does the fort lauderdale area experience hurricanes during hurricane season/is the area dangerous? (Again, forgive me for being naive about this!)

Thank you to all, and congrats to those that have been accepted -- I look forward to applying!

:)

Hey! I'm originally from Brooklyn and I'm going to NSU as an undergrad right now (yes it's more than a medical school lol). The school is beautiful and the area (Davie) is very nice. The cost of living is pretty similar to NY though and you definitely need a car! You have to drive to get anywhere, even to the grocery store. The weather is amazing- right now it's in the 70's and perfect outside, while the rest of the US is freezing =) It's also one of the most competitive DO schools, their average MCAT is 27. The only thing I don't like is the parking situation but since you're from NY it shouldn't be a big deal! Definitely apply early and make sure you have good extracurriculars and LORs. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck!!

Wow, cool thanks, I am from Brooklyn too! I will PM you. Take care!

Do students find the coursework challenging/medical school "worthy" (please, I hope anyone reading this doesn't take this the wrong way. I simply ask because I have heard some horror stories about the new for-profit DO schools where it is so easy, that students have a low COMLEX/USMLE pass rate...) (Plus I am new to exploring DO schools).

What is the cadaver to student ratio? (Again, I have heard some ridiculous numbers of there being like 15 people for one cadaver at some DO schools b/c of bigger entering class sizes). Does NSU have cadavers?

Oh, and... kind of silly, but since I am from NY...does the fort lauderdale area experience hurricanes during hurricane season/is the area dangerous? (Again, forgive me for being naive about this!)

Thank you to all, and congrats to those that have been accepted -- I look forward to applying!

:)

this made me laugh hahaha. i imagine new york is much more dangerous than fort lauderdale. as with any area, don't do anything dumb (like leave your ipod and keys in an unlocked car) and you'll be fine. and as far as hurricanes, i was raised in miami (about an hour from fort lauderdale/davie. oh, down here people measure distance in time. i was surprised to learn that in other places, people measure distance in miles.) and we got hurricanes like practically every season. one year we had 4 huge ones. but they're usually never too serious, and the stuff down here is built to withstand it. as far as natural disasters go (hurricanes, tornados, blizzards/snowstorms, eathquakes), i'd rather have hurricanes than anything else. mostly because you get plenty of warning as you watch them leave the coast of africa and come for you.

:luck::luck::luck: to those still waiting for an answer from NSU!! I know the waiting has been torturous.
I am looking forward to meeting all of you in August!

Yes it is challenging, it is medical school.

5-6, yes cadavers, yes full dissection

lecture/lab based

it is safe, florida is subject to hurricanes

Is Nova planning on having block exams for first years next year or will there still be a test almost every Monday?

Hey guys, so I know people have asked this before I haven't really seen much of a consensus. I was just curious how long it took for admissions to get back to you guys? I am getting really nervous because I submitted my secondary in December and my status online still reads "decision pending". Do you recommend I call admissions? Would that even help? I guess what I am asking is if anyone somehow knows anyone in admissions just to get a more definitive idea as to where they are in the application process (i.e. how many seats filled/remaining, final interview dates, etc).

In need of some positive vibes... :/ Thanks everyone

Hey guys, so I know people have asked this before I haven't really seen much of a consensus. I was just curious how long it took for admissions to get back to you guys? I am getting really nervous because I submitted my secondary in December and my status online still reads "decision pending". Do you recommend I call admissions? Would that even help? I guess what I am asking is if anyone somehow knows anyone in admissions just to get a more definitive idea as to where they are in the application process (i.e. how many seats filled/remaining, final interview dates, etc).

I'm in the same boat, meecho! It's taking quite a while!

same here, I called like 2 weeks ago, and they said a decision still hasnt been made about offering an interview. They said they have everything from me. I submitted in mid december.

cSquared117 and shaan, I guess we just have to wait this out a bit more...shaan - when you called did they tell you to continue calling or would you be contacted one way or the other via email?

they told me that I could call back in a few weeks to check my status, but all they kept telling me was that theres nothing else they can tell me, besides just wait etc etc. it seems like everyone is just waiting for something these days from nova, be it acceptances or interview. Anyways ill probably call on thursday to see if i can get any update. Call if you havent yet, it never hurts. Ill let you know what they tell me.

Makes me feel better because I sent in my secondaries early/mid December too and I've heard nothing. I'd rather they were just taking a long time to get back to us than just not bothering to tell us they don't want to talk to us....keeping my fingers crossed :)

I have been complete since late September and my webstar still states decision pending. They told me I should have an answer by march, as march will be the last invitations to interview.

Can anyone help me remember when the next deposit is due and how much it is? I thought it was sometime in March and $1500