Obesity and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PU WEE-U

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am morbidly obese and was recently accepted to medical school. I still have a few more interviews and I am nervous because of my size. I am scared I will be discriminated against and looked down on. It's making me want to just decline the other interviews I have to avoid this fear even though I'm interested in the schools.

I have always struggled with my weight and actually lost 100 lbs in 6 months in the past. But after 2 yrs keeping it off, I got really sick and went into the hospital for 4 months and gained a lot of weight in there. After I was given medication that added to weight gain. This sent me into a big depression (not clinical I don't think) and that further affected me. I didn't want to be seen by anyone. I am not blaming it all on that of course. I make poor food choices. I don't eat many times per day but I'm so busy that I often eat on the go. Most days I eat fast food twice per day. It's CHEAP and fast.

Anyway, I have started a lifestyle change and have lost some weight already (Only a month or so. Made the commitment after the first acceptance) . I am confident that I will be at a comfortable weight by the time classes start (but I won't be to my goal). I just hope schools can see past this and see all the hard work I put in working towards my medical school goals.

Do you guys think I should go to these interviews? Should I mention that I am working on losing weight? Do you think I will be discriminated against because of this? I know I am sitting on acceptances already but now that I am interviewing at "higher tier" schools, I feel they may be less forgiving.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless asked about your weight at an interview don't say anything. That would come off as insecure, probably not something looked on positively on.

As for losing weight, do it for yourself and your own health. Don't do it just because you're afraid people won't like you otherwise. You're probably a cool dude, keep on dropping those lbs my man.

Congrats on your acceptance. You earned it, which means you obviously did well on at least one interview. Crush these others!

Reactions: 11 users
I don't see this being an issue at all. As I'm sure you're well aware, there are a lot of unfortunate social stereotypes about people who are overweight/obese. I know it's easier said than done but try your best not to let it get to you! As you said, you've already gotten a few acceptances, which must mean you are a strong candidate with a lot to offer regardless of your weight or physical appearance! Try your best to project confidence because it will help you excel in these interviews. Definitely go to the interviews and rock them! I don't think there's any need to mention your plans to lose weight--it shouldn't even be a consideration in terms of whether you are accepted.

And if losing weight and being healthier is your goal, as the above poster said, do it for yourself and for your health. You can absolutely become a great physician regardless.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@dsxmchn if I don't crush the interviews, I'll crush something. Hahaha. But seriously, thanks for the words bro. I'm just in my own head. I'm do worry about this, but good at hiding it. Only my gf knows how much it bothers me and I rarely talk about it with her.

This didn't bother me as much before I lost the weight because it was my norm. I was always a big dude. And because I played sports and I guess not bad looking (lol), I never was teased or seen as unpopular in school or my social circles. So it's not like I should be this mentally distressed about this. But after I lost the weight then gained it back. It has really had a hold on me.

Reactions: 1 user
@dsxmchn if I don't crush the interviews, I'll crush something. Hahaha. But seriously, thanks for the words bro. I'm just in my own head. I'm do worry about this, but good at hiding it. Only my gf knows how much it bothers me and I rarely talk about it with her.

You cracked me up with this. I am glad you have a sense of humor. Don't worry about your peers, worry about your future patients. They will be the ones to judge you. I am constantly trying to stay fit and in shape, and with boards coming up it has been an impossibility, just so I can have the right to tell my patients how to be healthy.

You shouldn't feel judged at all, if anybody is understanding about obesity it would be the physicians who are interviewing you, plus you already got one acceptance!

There's always a chance someone will judge you based on your weight, but that's out of your control. If you cancel your interviews you're guaranteed to be rejected at that school. Rank your schools. If you have an interview at a school that's higher than the one you've already been accepted to, make the trip and do the interview. You've made it this far... Don't quit now over an insecurity.

Yes, go to your interviews and do your best! Even if you do not get in this year (for whatever reason), you'll be better prepared next year. And with several interviews, you are probably a pretty good candidate. If you can do a good interview, you have a great shot at getting accepted, maybe to multiple schools.

If you're in the fortunate position of choosing between multiple schools, you might want to ask about the student lifestyle. For example, if you find out that most students bring their lunch, it will make that the "norm" and it will be easier to adopt that habit. There are obviously a lot of factors in choosing a med school, but your health is an important one and understanding how supportive the environment will be for losing your extra weight could make a difference.

Will the interviewer judge you based on your weight? Perhaps.

But if you don't go to the interview then you are rejected no matter what. If your GPA, MCAT, etc are all solid then I don't think your weight will be any issue at all, just answer interview questions as well as you can.

You should absolutely go to these interviews! Maybe a couple of people will secretly judge you because of your weight, but you definitely should not let that stop you from doing anything. Let them judge. You do your thing.

Also, about the fast food....you should really keep them at a minimum... They are really fattening, especially when you eat them twice a day. I personally cook nearly all of my meals and trust me that is so much cheaper than going to KFC. And there are plenty of simple recipes on the internet where your food can be ready in 10-15 minutes, which is about the same amount of time it takes you to get dressed, walk/drive to the fast food restaurant, order, wait for your food, and walk/drive back home. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
You cracked me up with this. I am glad you have a sense of humor. Don't worry about your peers, worry about your future patients. They will be the ones to judge you. I am constantly trying to stay fit and in shape, and with boards coming up it has been an impossibility, just so I can have the right to tell my patients how to be healthy.

This.

My dad has diabetes and is a big guy (tall). He recently lost quite a bit of weight once he stopped traveling as much but apparently rolled his eyes at his PCP (my mother was there and told me) when the good doc told him to lose a bit more (his PCP is short and morbidly obese). While I don't think my father should have rolled his eyes (which is hilarious if you know my usually stoic father) I do think it's unfortunate that people take health advice less seriously from a doctor who appears to struggle with their own weight.

To the OP, I've been there (not morbidly obese but seriously overweight and planning to avoid something otherwise important to me to avoid snide comments from "friends/loved ones.") You have obviously worked very hard and you DESERVE this. Don't let anyone else's immaturity take that from you. Folks may snicker or have something to say but if it wasn't your weight, I can promise it might be something else. Lose the weight for you and your health. Go to the interviews for you and the health of your future patients.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I make poor food choices. I don't eat many times per day but I'm so busy that I often eat on the go. Most days I eat fast food twice per day. It's CHEAP and fast.
So you know how to change. I actually found eating relatively healthy is not that much more expensive. I spend about 7-8$ a day for food (on average) and it's all super healthy - Now I don't always do it lol. (ie. bananas are super cheap... I'm basically a monkey)
I have started a lifestyle change and have lost some weight already
That's great!

Do you think I will be discriminated against because of this?
I want to say "no"... but I also want to be honest and that at some subconscious level, you may be discriminated - however - if you have a good personality, have the numbers, and EC, I don't think it will be a huge barrier.

I am sitting on acceptances already but now that I am interviewing at "higher tier" schools, I feel they may be less forgiving.
Also - that's great. Don't stress it - and enjoy your interview. At this point - you are well on your way to being a doctor :D

Btw. One of my close friend in med school is "obese" - no one needs to talk about weight to a med student - we're all aware of the consequences. We also know there are genetic factors that make us weigh differently. We - in general - do not discriminate among us students.

I have had several morbidly obese students in my time, and there is no bias against them in admissions.

If anything, your obese patients will relate to you more, knowing that you face the same issues they do.

If you have IIs, YES, go to them!!!!

BTW, check out these students in these pics; you'll notice that they're not all fashion models.

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...-of-medicine-news/images/group-shot-81613.jpg
http://njms.rutgers.edu/education/odace/undergraduate/images/NJMSStudents006.jpg
http://med.ucmerced.edu/sites/med.ucmerced.edu/files/slide/images/sjv_prime_2017_induction_pic.jpg
http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mdprogram/OME/images/omephoto.jpg

And read this!
http://endocrinologyblog.org/2015/1...-journey-of-a-morbidly-obese-medical-student/

I am morbidly obese and was recently accepted to medical school. I still have a few more interviews and I am nervous because of my size. I am scared I will be discriminated against and looked down on. It's making me want to just decline the other interviews I have to avoid this fear even though I'm interested in the schools.

I have always struggled with my weight and actually lost 100 lbs in 6 months in the past. But after 2 yrs keeping it off, I got really sick and went into the hospital for 4 months and gained a lot of weight in there. After I was given medication that added to weight gain. This sent me into a big depression (not clinical I don't think) and that further affected me. I didn't want to be seen by anyone. I am not blaming it all on that of course. I make poor food choices. I don't eat many times per day but I'm so busy that I often eat on the go. Most days I eat fast food twice per day. It's CHEAP and fast.

Anyway, I have started a lifestyle change and have lost some weight already (Only a month or so. Made the commitment after the first acceptance) . I am confident that I will be at a comfortable weight by the time classes start (but I won't be to my goal). I just hope schools can see past this and see all the hard work I put in working towards my medical school goals.

Do you guys think I should go to these interviews? Should I mention that I am working on losing weight? Do you think I will be discriminated against because of this? I know I am sitting on acceptances already but now that I am interviewing at "higher tier" schools, I feel they may be less forgiving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya you probably will be. Everyone judges people on their looks somewhat, even if it isnt conscious.

Thanks to everyone for your honesty and kind words. Everyone has flaws, I guess I'm lucky enough to have my BIGGEST one be fixable. Hahaha.

But I really do appreciate it. I really have to stop obsessing over this crap, buckle down, and continue my journey. Lapse of judgement guys, but thanks for supporting me.

.... And ppl claim SDN is where your medical aspirations come to die. Well........... maybe I made this saying up just now (lol), but ppl do claim that everyone is so negative here. Obviously not the case. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone for your honesty and kind words. Everyone has flaws, I guess I'm lucky enough to have my BIGGEST one be fixable. Hahaha.

But I really do appreciate it. I really have to stop obsessing over this crap, buckle down, and continue my journey. Lapse of judgement guys, but thanks for supporting me.

.... And ppl claim SDN is where your medical aspirations come to die. Well........... maybe I made this saying up just now (lol), but ppl do claim that everyone is so negative here. Obviously not the case. Thanks again.
your biggest problem is fixable, but you are incorrectly assessing that your biggest problem is weight. It's a problem you should address for your health and it will cause some people to discriminate but the bigger problem is the defeatist attitude. Luckily that is fixable too and you seem to see it.

Whether you relate more to the little engine that could, rudy, or leo in revenant......make a concrete decision that you will be that hardcore sonofagun that just plain doesn't stop and doesn't listen to "no".

If you've already been accepted somewhere use that as confidence as you pursue future interviews. Obviously, it's not a hard barrier.

your biggest problem is fixable, but you are incorrectly assessing that your biggest problem is weight. It's a problem you should address for your health and it will cause some people to discriminate but the bigger problem is the defeatist attitude. Luckily that is fixable too and you seem to see it.

Whether you relate more to the little engine that could, rudy, or leo in revenant......make a concrete decision that you will be that hardcore sonofagun that just plain doesn't stop and doesn't listen to "no".
I think he was being "punny"

I think at first glance pretty much everyone will judge you one way or another, but they'll keep it to themselves. Overweight people aren't discriminated against overtly in the selection process, but obviously an interviewer has their own biases so it's luck of the draw on that.

Like someone else said - if you don't go, you are guaranteeing that you won't get in. As long as going to the interviews is financially feasible, and they are schools you are interested in, then GO!

Make sure you have a well fitting suit, be confident (even if you have to fake it), energetic, and positive. Don't apologize or make excuses for your appearance. You have a strong application, you're already sitting on acceptances, what have you got to lose?

Go to your interviews for sure, rock them like you did at the school you've been accepted to and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you OP and keep up the hard work!

Eating healthy can be significantly cheaper than eating out every day, it just requires effort, time, and planning ahead. Which unfortunately leaves many too busy or lacking in drive to undertake.

Since when was fast food cheap? lol

You can be constructive, or you can be nitpicky and small. I'm beginning to worry about you man.

I just want to chime in, to remember that weight loss isn't hard or unattainable. There's nothing magic about the process, it's literally calories in vs. calories out. I've also been trying to lose about 15 pounds, myself. If you set an attainable goal of losing 1 pound a week, it's very doable without dramatic changes in your lifestyle.

Good luck, and congrats on the acceptance! Definitely go to your other interviews.

Clearly your acceptance already shows you'll be a good doctor- and you can definitely mention it (if comfortable) as a recent struggle you've faced and talk about how it has helped you relate to patients in a similar position. You really do sound like a good candidate, and you can't help whether someone notices your weight when you walk in a room, but by the time you're speaking and engaged I doubt that's at the forefront of their minds. Good luck!

I just want to chime in, to remember that weight loss isn't hard or unattainable. There's nothing magic about the process, it's literally calories in vs. calories out. I've also been trying to lose about 15 pounds, myself. If you set an attainable goal of losing 1 pound a week, it's very doable without dramatic changes in your lifestyle.

Good luck, and congrats on the acceptance! Definitely go to your other interviews.
That's a huge oversimplification. And losing 15lbs vs 100 is a very big difference.

OP, many many people regain their lost weight for a plethora of reasons. Don't let it discourage you. Pick yourself back up and keep at it. The biological reasons that so many people regain lost weight may never go away (there hasn't been enough long-term research and there are so few subjects who manage to maintain 100+lb weight losses that the sample size is small)- so it may be a lifelong struggle. It's important to make sure you stay psychologically healthy and confident throughout your journey

Now go beast those interviews and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users