Obtaining In-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjrabbitvet

UF CVM c/o 2013!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering how easy it is to switch to being an in-state resident for tuition purposes at an out of state school after a year or so. I found some information regarding this topic by doing a search on the forum, but most of the schools I've applied to weren't listed. I'm particularly interested in NC state, Michigan State, University of Tennessee, and University of Florida. Does anyone know if these schools allow you to switch to in-state status and how difficult that process would be?

Members don't see this ad.

Missouri does for sure and I *think* Florida does. For Missouri, you basically need to make $2,000 of taxable income, change your driver's license/registration, voter registration, show proof that you've lived in state for a year (copy of your lease/mortgage), etc. Not too difficult and Missouri even has a summer program for research that pays $4000 for 6 weeks of research, so there's your $2000. Many people have part time jobs of less than 15 hours a week that add up to $2000 by the end of the year too.

Tack Ohio on to that list. Should we get a running list going for schools?

Schools that will allow you to get in-state tuition after 1 year there as a student.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida

Definite no's:

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools that will allow you to get in-state tuition after 1 year there as a student.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida

Definite no's:
Mississippi State

I also think UIllinois and Washington State allow people to gain in-state tuition after 1 year, but I'm not 100% sure on either of those so I haven't added them to the "Yes" list.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida

Definite no's:
Mississippi State
Penn

However, Penn will allow you to defer for a year, move to PA and establish residency during that year, and then start school as a resident. But once you start school, you're stuck with whatever residency you have right then. I took that option and am glad I did, but with the current economic situation resulting in our state grant being slashed for next year, the tuition difference between IS and OOS is only about $7-8K now. I guess over the lifetime of a loan that's still a big difference, but it was more like $10K when decided to defer.

Auburn is a kind of a 'no'

You sign something that says you will be out of state all four years when you start school, but there are a few exceptions.
You can marry a resident, or in my case be married to someone who becomes a resident. We both moved up here from Florida and when my husband became a resident (after one year) I filed paperwork that proved he was and that I had done everything I could to become one (voted here, driver's license, car tag, filed taxes here (well, my husband did)). So they approved me and I started the new year with over 10k less per semester. woohoo! :love:
I think the other exception has to do with being in the military or something. Sorry- I only paid attention to the marriage one :oops:

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Auburn (sort of)
Oklahoma (sort of)

Colorado specifically states this on their website. I was amazed to hear at their application workshop last fall that they even have some in state students that were accepted into an unsubsidized (or whatever word I should use) slot and are attending, under the knowledge that they will pay OOS tuition all 4 years! Yikes... even though I checked the box to be considered for this situation, I'd have to think hard about declining and trying again the next year for an IS spot!

I'd love for people to keep adding to this list! Now that I am contemplating round two, this info could play into my list of schools on some level.

Last edited:

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Auburn (sort of)
Oklahoma (sort of)
Iowa State (sort of)

Iowa State is the same thing as Auburn and Oklahoma...you can marry a resident and get IS tuition. At least, you could as of when the class of 2012 entered.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Auburn (sort of)
Oklahoma (sort of)
Iowa State (sort of)

When I spoke to an admissions person at North Carolina she said it is possible to get in-state tuition after 1 year. You have to be careful though. You must be registered to vote, get a driver's license in the state, get new license plates, etc. by the end of July 2009. If you don't get all of that stuff done on time, tough luck...

I should add that I actually know someone who got married mostly for IS tuition. Then she was cheated on the following summer... then she had an affair the summer after that. Still married though. 'Course she hasn't graduated yet...

Tennessee is another sort of. The only way they will really let you do it is if you marry a TN resident otherwise you're stuck as out-of-state.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Auburn (sort of)
Oklahoma (sort of)
Iowa State (sort of)
Tennessee (sort of)

...sorry, the 'definitely no' having the same number of exceptions was irking me...

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State

Very difficult, but with exceptions
Auburn - marriage to resident; possibly military
Oklahoma - marriage to resident
Iowa State - marriage to resident
Tennessee - marriage to resident

Members don't see this ad :)
...sorry, the 'definitely no' having the same number of exceptions was irking me...

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State

:thumbup::thumbup: :)

remember- marriage to resident doesn't necessarily mean you have to get married in that state.... your spouse can become a resident then you can say 'I'm married to a resident.'

after one year in alabama my husband and i both became residents, then i submitted a letter saying i was married to a resident.

Actually, it is possible to get IS tuition for Colorado State if you do the DVM/MPH dual degree program (and possibly their other dual degree programs but I haven't looked into them).
They say this "Non-Colorado resident students enrolled in the MPH Program may be eligible to convert their tuition classification to Colorado prior to matriculating into the
August 25, 2008 DVM program."

Illinois lets you apply for in-state, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through. You have to be able to prove that you haven't received any money from out of state for a whole year. If your parents or grandparents send you checks for birthdays/holidays/etc., you can't be considered in-state. You have to be able to support your claim with bank statements and account for every check you deposit. Seems a bit extreme to me, and I'm wondering if there are limits (I mean, if you get $50 from gramps, is that enough to disqualify you?)

Anyone know about Wisconsin?

When I was talking to Lynn Maki last year, it sounded like it wasn't possible. She wasn't able to give me a definitive no because it was more in the lane of the financial aide office or whoever, but it seemed unlikely. I'd ask her about it further, though, and see if she can direct you to the right people to give you a definitive answer.

Dont know about Wisconsin, but their out of state tuition is already really low compared to most others. Last year was 24K I think...not bad at all.

Anyone know anything about Minnesota?

Actually, it is possible to get IS tuition for Colorado State if you do the DVM/MPH dual degree program (and possibly their other dual degree programs but I haven't looked into them).

It is for the DVM/PhD, too.

Dont know about Wisconsin, but their out of state tuition is already really low compared to most others. Last year was 24K I think...not bad at all.

Yeah, UC Davis IS is only $1k less than TAMU or Wisconsin OOS. I find that...amusing. :laugh:

anyone know where I could find a list of OOS cost of living estimates for different schools? I am IS for Iowa, but I realized recently there are a couple schools (ex Wisconsin) where I would end up paying a little less even with OOS tuition

I have always joked that Iowa is the only place I could afford to go because I couldn't afford OOS tuition (not that it would stop me if I was accepted OOS)

I guess one of the benefits of not getting in the first go round is that I'm now really researching my other options for schools, since next cycle I will be applying OOS as well.

What about Tufts?
No. The only way to gain residency would be to move to MA before you go to vet school and live here for a year. Although with the state budget cuts the instate funding got dropped for next year. They are working on getting it reinstated....

whoops nevermind, I see Angelo84 knows more about the situation that I do...

Last edited:
Illinois lets you apply for in-state, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through. You have to be able to prove that you haven't received any money from out of state for a whole year. If your parents or grandparents send you checks for birthdays/holidays/etc., you can't be considered in-state. You have to be able to support your claim with bank statements and account for every check you deposit. Seems a bit extreme to me, and I'm wondering if there are limits (I mean, if you get $50 from gramps, is that enough to disqualify you?)

This is pretty typical for obtaining residency. When I was in conversations with Ohio State after my acceptance, I found that with my particular situation, it would be difficult to obtain residency. (I planned to keep an OOS job and OOS insurance, which they said, as of 2 years ago, would keep me from obtaining in state residency.)

Also, for Auburn, it is much easier to become a KY resident than an AL resident and apply KY contract. (There are 34 seats KY contract, which is only a few less than for AL residents.) Basically all they asked me on the KY resident form is whether my parents lived there (which they did) and whether I had a job there (which I did). I had only moved back there for about a month when I was able to get residency and apply to Auburn KY contract. I don't know if the rules have changed in the intervening two years as the budget crisis has made many states crack down on residency requirements to bring in more cash.

does anyone know about VMRCVM?

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State

When I interviewed there last year they said that you could gain residency after one year. I'm sure it's not that easy though. :D

cornell's policy is that whatever you were admitted under (OOS or IS) is what you stay at, and keep paying tuition at. so that'd be a no.

Does anyone know if, in order to be considered for IS tuition, you have to have lived in that state for a year prior to the application deadline or prior to the date you'd be starting classes?

Does anyone know if, in order to be considered for IS tuition, you have to have lived in that state for a year prior to the application deadline or prior to the date you'd be starting classes?

This list is based on schools who will allow you get in state tuition as a student after you have been admitted.

I would generally assume that if you fully move to any state for a full year before you apply without being a student then you would then be considered in-state at that point

I understand that, I guess I should've made it clear that I was half-hijacking the thread and asking a new (but relevant) question.

I agree that if you've lived in a state for a full year before the application deadline you'd be considered in-state; I was wondering if you could be considered in-state if you were not there for a full year before the application deadline (October) but had lived there for a full year by the time classes started (the next August).

On other words, do you have to be a resident at the time of application or just by the time tuition is due?

I was wondering if you could be considered in-state if you were not there for a full year before the application deadline (October) but had lived there for a full year by the time classes started (the next August).

On other words, do you have to be a resident at the time of application or just by the time tuition is due?

It appears from info people have posted elsewhere on this board that the answer to your question varies from school to school, there is no one uniform answer (like most things in vet school admissions).

Thank you VAgirl! Ah yes, the infamous "it depends" answer when it comes to vet school. :laugh:

Ah yes, the infamous "it depends" answer when it comes to vet school. :laugh:

Doesn't it kinda just make you want to scream? ;)

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland

does that mean, even if your spouse becomes a resident, you are required to pay OOS all 4 years?? :(

does that mean, even if your spouse becomes a resident, you are required to pay OOS all 4 years?? :(
Unless its one of those school's already mentioned with a "sort-of" way of becoming IS, yes. Otherwise, for the "definite no" list - if you start OOS, you're always OOS.

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota
Washington State

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota
Washington State

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland
Cornell

Can anyone tell me about establishing in-state tuition at Wisconsin?

Wisconsin in-state: Must move and establish residency within 12 months of first class. Must own home or rent, and switch everything over and have filed taxes with Wisconsin. Cannot take ANY classes whatsoever within those 12 months, so you must have everything finished before then, or take them after your 12 months. Hope that helps.

"Very difficult, but with exceptions:
Tennessee - marriage to resident"

So.. .heres what I am proposing.. two OOS single vet students (male and female obviously) get married with the intention of an easy divorce after vet school. Become residents. Then apply of instate tuition! FOOL PROOF!! haha.. Im totally kidding... kinda...

i've thought about that, but some of them need you to marry someone who's already a resident, and their income can affect your fin. aid eligibility, but hey, still something i'd look into. and not so quick on the "obviously male/female" bit.. those of us who may end up in Massachusetts are not so restricted!

what about michigan?

what about michigan?

You should check out the michigan state thread...I asked the same question, and the general consensus is that you cannot declare residency (unless you married a michigan resident, etc) and would have to pay OOS tuition for the full 4 years. You might want to call MSU's vet admissions to double check, though.

bump
anyone have any other schools they can add here?

Definite yes:
Ohio
Missouri
Florida
UC Davis
North Carolina
Minnesota
Washington State

Definite no's:
Colorado State
Mississippi State
Penn
Kansas State
Oregon State
Virginia-Maryland
Cornell

Isn't it usually by state rules? So what applies to Auburn should apply to Tuskegee, right?

Also Western doesn't differentiate between in and out of state - maybe it needs its own category.

Can anyone tell me more info on the Oklahoma tuition status change? I own a house here, pay taxes, have been a grad student at OSU for 2 years, have my car registered here, and am a voter...however I was told that I still had to apply as OOS because I did not 'work' for 40 hours a week for 365 days prior to submitting the application. The reason I'm wondering is because my fiance (OK resident) and I are waiting until I'm finished to make it legal...but if it saves us 60K, there might be a courthouse in our near future. Thanks for any help.