Ohio State c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oos acceptance!

i’m shocked. i thought my interview didn’t go well LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
#16 on OOS waitlist! is this good or bad? does anyone know how much it moves?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
YAYYY!!!! I've seen you in all these threads!! I'm so happy for you!!!
Thank you!!!! This was my last school so I kind of lost hope (also my interview wasn't great) but I'm stoked!!!! We're gonna make great vets :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
IS rejection. Pretty disappointing but I still have at least one acceptance so I'll live

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
#2 on the IS waitlist. I am on a rollercoaster of emotions. Are there people who really do give up their IS seats?? BEYOND grateful to be in this position but they said they won’t update the waitlist until after 4/15 😔

#2 on the IS waitlist. I am on a rollercoaster of emotions. Are there people who really do give up their IS seats?? BEYOND grateful to be in this position but they said they won’t update the waitlist until after 4/15 😔
Are there 2 different wait lists? For IS and OOS?

Reactions: 1 user
#3 on OOS waitlist. Any idea how much the waitlist has moved in past years?

IS usually can move up into the teens, there’s a high chance you’ll get accepted come April! Last year OOS waitlist didn’t move at all, but it varies every year. Last year I think they needed to accept more IS because they didn’t have a high enough percentage of IS for the class, thus they couldn’t accept any OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah at this point I’m just spiteful and considering giving up and changing trajectory. Why should I go through this again when in all honesty it’s a lottery and a diversity game? Why spend all this time, money, and energy going into something I’ve dreamed of since I was a little girl only to be told at file reviews that my application was perfect but they just didn’t like me? I study so hard in college, only got a B in a one credit hour lab, so that I could have the most competitive GPA. I was president of the pre-vet society, student Vice President of Phi Kappa Phi (earned a national scholarship that only 50 people get), was involved on campus in clubs, was a TA for an upper division bio class, had a wide variety of experience across all aspects of vet med, had letter writers I’ve known for years, practiced so hard in the interview with multiple people, two of which are on the interview committee, and then sat for an interview I felt fantastic about only to be met with a flat out rejection, not even a waitlist, at my in state school and multiple rejections elsewhere. At this point I seriously wonder if the issue is, no matter how cyclical it sounds, that I’m a white woman not of lower socioeconomic status and with both parents having college degrees (I’m not a diverse candidate). I honestly don’t know what to do but if this is what getting into vet med is like I really don’t think it’s for me. Call it lack of perseverance if you will, but I call it not wanting to waste my time over something not feasible. I’m done. I’m out.

• Dislike
Nah at this point I’m just spiteful and considering giving up and changing trajectory. Why should I go through this again when in all honesty it’s a lottery and a diversity game? Why spend all this time, money, and energy going into something I’ve dreamed of since I was a little girl only to be told at file reviews that my application was perfect but they just didn’t like me? I study so hard in college, only got a B in a one credit hour lab, so that I could have the most competitive GPA. I was president of the pre-vet society, student Vice President of Phi Kappa Phi (earned a national scholarship that only 50 people get), was involved on campus in clubs, was a TA for an upper division bio class, had a wide variety of experience across all aspects of vet med, had letter writers I’ve known for years, practiced so hard in the interview with multiple people, two of which are on the interview committee, and then sat for an interview I felt fantastic about only to be met with a flat out rejection, not even a waitlist, at my in state school and multiple rejections elsewhere. At this point I seriously wonder if the issue is, no matter how cyclical it sounds, that I’m a white woman not of lower socioeconomic status and with both parents having college degrees (I’m not a diverse candidate). I honestly don’t know what to do but if this is what getting into vet med is like I really don’t think it’s for me. Call it lack of perseverance if you will, but I call it not wanting to waste my time over something not feasible. I’m done. I’m out.
I’m very sorry you feel this way. I am very sorry you did not get accepted. Many applicants do not get accepted on their first cycle (or their second, and so on). It says nothing about your ability to succeed in this career field or any. There are TONS of overly qualified applicants who are not accepted.

However, your statement insinuates that people who do fall under the demographic of what is considered “diverse” for some reason don’t deserve their seats and that they only got them because of their background. Also, it insinuates that people who have good stats, and do not come from a diverse background (because I know plenty of white women who aren’t poor or first gen who are vet students) don’t deserve their seats because you deserved it instead. Please, choose your words carefully. I understand you are speaking from an emotional place and I’m sorry. But it is not fair to undermine others.

I wish you well and if you choose to apply again, know that you are not alone in your sentiment

Reactions: 21 users
IS rejection. That was it. Not going to vet school :)

And I thought my interview went fantastic. I guess hard work and a 3.99 GPA means nothing
Is this your first cycle? You didn’t work that hard all these years to give up the dream just because of rejection. Lots of people didn’t get in our first cycle, myself included. Show them you’re serious and really want this and come back with an even better app next year

Honestly this right here might be why. If you want into your interviews arrogant and bragging about how you deserve to be there, that was your issue. You didn’t get rejected because you’re white and have money. Most of my class fits that bill.
I know people that had the perfect stats, letters, and experiences and they were rejected. It took them down a few notches, they humbled themselves and got in the next year.

Reactions: 14 users
IS waitlist #16. Does this list move much? Part of me finds it hard to believe it gets into the teens lol. Thankfully have a couple OOS acceptances but still holding out hope 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Care
Hey, I have seen you on multiple forums, and I think you sound like an incredible applicant...until you post something like this. The "it's because I'm a upper middleclass white woman" take is NOT it.

I understand rejection is SO hard. I'm 28 years old now, this is my 2nd cycle, after receiving rejections from 10 of 12 schools I applied to last year and two waitlists. Like you, I felt strongly that I was a great applicant and couldn't make sense of why a program wouldn't want me. I am also not a really a "diverse" applicant, first gen maybe, but that's it. But just because I felt I deserved a seat did not mean any diverse applicants that received one deserved it any less.

But if you truely want this, you have to build from this. Seek out new and interesting opportunities that set you apart. Work. Save money. Grow. Learn. Apply again.

Your race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and financial status SHOULD be the least interesting thing about you.

I wish you nothing but luck.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
It is SOOOOO easy to be spiteful in this process. Im in the same boat as you. But really being spiteful gets us absolutely nowhere but uglier on the inside. It’s discouraging and often times flat out unfair. Many people will receive 6,7,8 acceptances in a cycle while people with “better stats” receive rejections without even interviewing. There is no “perfect applicant.” Know that your feelings are valid and you are not alone in them BUUUUUUUT if this is really what you want I sincerely hope you try again. Beyond the bureaucracy of it all if you really have this dream DO NOT GIVE UP because it will be worth it when you do get that acceptance in the end. Look into other options as well if you are truly that desperate to start vet school sooner; LMU spring cohort, SGU multiple start times, and Ross multiple start times etc there ARE other options and a DVM is a DVM!

Rejection is never an easy thing to deal with. Give yourself some time to wallow, get hugs from your friends and family, and then pick yourself back up.

From your previous posts I can see your stats are excellent. You need to do file reviews with all of the schools that offer them. Who knows if there is something in your application that was a red flag that you weren't aware of? Also file reviews from different schools will give you varying perspectives. As others have pointed out, many very qualified candidates aren't successful in their first application cycle. You've noted that your vet hours total could be higher, so aim for maxing out hours in an area you don't already have experience in this summer.

You can do this!

• Care
Does anyone know how much the OOS waitlist typically moves, or have a contact (current student) to ask??

Hey everyone. I want to apologize for being a complete idiot a minute ago and explain myself. I won't delete the comment because I want to remind myself of where my rock bottom was so that I can continue to build myself up from there. And thank you for all of the replies trying to be nice despite my heinous comment. What I said is not who I am not what what I stand for. That was a result of me bottling up all of the emotions I've felt since this application cycle started and instead of letting them out, talking to the people who care for me, etc I decided to sit alone in the bathroom of my university and blabber things on the internet that I don't mean. I am not giving up. I will reapply and I will keep applying until I get in. This is what I've wanted since I was a child and I will not stop just because of one roadblock (a roadblock that most people face before getting admitted to begin with). In all honesty, this rejection was most likely for the best. I have been dealing with serious health issues this year that don't seem to be ending any time soon and starting vet school in the midst of that is not going to be a good idea for me. I promise I will reflect on this, figure out what is wrong with my health (hopefully my ultrasound on Monday will finally give the answer), get more experience to better my application, and get in one day! I apologize again for acting like an imbecile and thank you all for the encouragement. I'm feeling better now and am beginning to think about where to go from here to make my application as good as it can possibly be for next time!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
#7 on the IS waitlist! I’m really hoping the turn around is good lol. This is my 5th application cycle 😅

IS alternate #6! Hoping for good news mid April. Anyone who’s IS accepted already know they’ll be going somewhere else? Trying to calculate my chances🫠

IS alternate #6! Hoping for good news mid April. Anyone who’s IS accepted already know they’ll be going somewhere else? Trying to calculate my chances🫠
Me too :) fingers crossed!

Same here but for OOS :/ anyone OOS knowing they won't accept?

To start, I saw your more recent comment, and I understand that this came out of a place of intense emotion. However, I still want to make some things clear to you and all other applicants who may not be aware of this. A recent Supreme Court ruling determined that schools are legally prohibited from considering race as a factor for admissions. I participated in file review and interviews this year, and we had to attend training related to this ruling and were informed that Students for Fair Admissions would be requesting our records to ensure compliance. Students are still allowed to discuss how their race has shaped them and their experiences and schools are allowed to consider qualities that have resulted from this. However, we had no access to information about race, socioeconomic background, or parent information during file review or interviews. I'm not sure if the admissions committee uses socioeconomic background or parent information as some sort of tiebreaker when making final decisions, but it certainly isn't part of the regular criteria. We do want to know that you're able to work with people from different backgrounds and support a healthy, diverse culture, but this doesn't require you to be of a specific background yourself.

I spent hours upon hours combing through each section of every application I was assigned, left everyone detailed comments, and triple-checked my scores before submitting. I can't guarantee that everyone was as thorough as I was in file review, but everyone that I did interviews with thoughtfully analyzed answers to each question and we always came to the same conclusions. I'm not saying the process is perfect, but labeling it as a "lottery" and "diversity game" undermines the work that gets put into selecting candidates and the qualifications of those who are accepted. I wish you luck :)

• Care
I've gathered some info about waitlist from the previous OSU forums. These info might be helpful, but they are not accurate. Take them as a grain of salt.

Class of 2027: IS #12 OOS no movement
Class of 2026: IS #7 OOS no movement
Class of 2025: IS #7 OOS #11
Class of 2024: IS #9 OOS #2(?)

This was a helpful comment from the class of 2024 regarding how the waitlist works.
"IS people rarely refuse the offer, but, luckily, that tends not to be what determines movement of the IS waitlist. Basically, IS people are under-accepted and OOS people are purposefully over-accepted. The school decides what acceptable IS vs. OOS ratio they want and as soon as the OOS population dips and there are seats to fill, that's when IS waitlisters get called (up until the school reaches whatever ratio they're looking for). Some years the class is seated 50/50 other years it's more like 60/40 in favor of OOS. The higher you are on the IS list the better your odds of getting called. This system has backfired in recent years, but even them there was some movement of the IS waitlist."

It sounds like even if someone from OOS gives up their seat, IS waitlisters can be pulled up and vice versa depending on the year. I've also seen people getting accepted 3 weeks before the school starts. This is gonna be a long and painful process for all the waitlisters.

Again, this info is purely based on the previous SDN Ohio State forums so they may neither be accurate nor reflect current admission process.
Good luck everyone who is on the waitlist, including myself.

Nah at this point I’m just spiteful and considering giving up and changing trajectory. Why should I go through this again when in all honesty it’s a lottery and a diversity game?
Diversity game? Could you elaborate a bit more on that?

Hey everyone. I want to apologize for being a complete idiot a minute ago and explain myself. I won't delete the comment because I want to remind myself of where my rock bottom was so that I can continue to build myself up from there. And thank you for all of the replies trying to be nice despite my heinous comment. What I said is not who I am not what what I stand for. That was a result of me bottling up all of the emotions I've felt since this application cycle started and instead of letting them out, talking to the people who care for me, etc I decided to sit alone in the bathroom of my university and blabber things on the internet that I don't mean. I am not giving up. I will reapply and I will keep applying until I get in. This is what I've wanted since I was a child and I will not stop just because of one roadblock (a roadblock that most people face before getting admitted to begin with). In all honesty, this rejection was most likely for the best. I have been dealing with serious health issues this year that don't seem to be ending any time soon and starting vet school in the midst of that is not going to be a good idea for me. I promise I will reflect on this, figure out what is wrong with my health (hopefully my ultrasound on Monday will finally give the answer), get more experience to better my application, and get in one day! I apologize again for acting like an imbecile and thank you all for the encouragement. I'm feeling better now and am beginning to think about where to go from here to make my application as good as it can possibly be for next time!
It sucks to get rejected but time passes regardless of what the outcome of application decisions are. This is my second cycle, my first cycle I think I applied to 14 schools and was rejected by all but one who ended up waitlisting me. This cycle I applied to 11 (I think?) and this was my one and only acceptance. Take the extra time you're given to do file reviews and do stuff you really love or want to learn about but never had the time. Even doing something little, like taking up a hobby, can make a positive impact on your mental health and application. In 30 years from now when all of this is over and all of us are veterinarians none of this stuff will necessarily matter, tis but a small inconveniencing roadbump but it shall pass. Best of luck broski

Also side note: I have worked with many many vets and an overwhelming number of them tried 2+ times to get an acceptance

Last edited:
IS ACCEPTANCE !!! Super excited , this is my first cycle and I was rejected from every other school I applied to so this acceptance feels even sweeter !

To start, I saw your more recent comment, and I understand that this came out of a place of intense emotion. However, I still want to make some things clear to you and all other applicants who may not be aware of this. A recent Supreme Court ruling determined that schools are legally prohibited from considering race as a factor for admissions. I participated in file review and interviews this year, and we had to attend training related to this ruling and were informed that Students for Fair Admissions would be requesting our records to ensure compliance. Students are still allowed to discuss how their race has shaped them and their experiences and schools are allowed to consider qualities that have resulted from this. However, we had no access to information about race, socioeconomic background, or parent information during file review or interviews. I'm not sure if the admissions committee uses socioeconomic background or parent information as some sort of tiebreaker when making final decisions, but it certainly isn't part of the regular criteria. We do want to know that you're able to work with people from different backgrounds and support a healthy, diverse culture, but this doesn't require you to be of a specific background yourself.

I spent hours upon hours combing through each section of every application I was assigned, left everyone detailed comments, and triple-checked my scores before submitting. I can't guarantee that everyone was as thorough as I was in file review, but everyone that I did interviews with thoughtfully analyzed answers to each question and we always came to the same conclusions. I'm not saying the process is perfect, but labeling it as a "lottery" and "diversity game" undermines the work that gets put into selecting candidates and the qualifications of those who are accepted. I wish you luck :)
Did you file review at Tosu?

Rejection is never an easy thing to deal with. Give yourself some time to wallow, get hugs from your friends and family, and then pick yourself back up.

From your previous posts I can see your stats are excellent. You need to do file reviews with all of the schools that offer them. Who knows if there is something in your application that was a red flag that you weren't aware of? Also file reviews from different schools will give you varying perspectives. As others have pointed out, many very qualified candidates aren't successful in their first application cycle. You've noted that your vet hours total could be higher, so aim for maxing out hours in an area you don't already have experience in this summer.

You can do this!
So much this! I have done the file review thing with every school that’s offered them and I had two things on my application that counted against me and led to me being rejected by every school this cycle. I didn’t know this until I had done like four file reviews !!!! So happy to get the feedback and become a better candidate.

My gpa is what I need to work on and that alongside the two relatively small fixable things - will help me too.

I am only diverse because of my age and that I’m a parent. But after being in this field for almost two decades - I am freaking beyond thrilled that vet med is on its way to becoming more diverse and love seeing initiatives that support this. It is long overdue.

Sending sincere congrats to all those accepted. You rock !

• Care
I just wanted to pop on here again and say CONGRATULATIONS to everyone accepted to the class of 2028! To anyone who didn’t receive the news they were hoping for, please don’t give up. I’m a multiple applicant myself and I know how difficult it can be to keep your head up in spite of receiving denial after denial. It’s not rejection, it’s redirection.

I also did see some questions about a class facebook page. I am not sure when it will be made, but I can tell you all that we did not receive a link until around May of last year if I remember correctly.

• Care
I just wanted to pop on here again and say CONGRATULATIONS to everyone accepted to the class of 2028! To anyone who didn’t receive the news they were hoping for, please don’t give up. I’m a multiple applicant myself and I know how difficult it can be to keep your head up in spite of receiving denial after denial. It’s not rejection, it’s redirection.

I also did see some questions about a class facebook page. I am not sure when it will be made, but I can tell you all that we did not receive a link until around May of last year if I remember correctly.
Hi there! Would it be okay if I ask some questions about your experience at tOSU? Are there positions in the teaching hospital that are open to 1st/2nd year students? Are they flexible in terms of scheduling and managing while taking classes? I know some schools require summer commitments as well if students want to work at the hospital so I'm just curious if this is the case for tOSU. I was also curious about how do you feel about the 165 class size? Do you feel like students are getting individual attention from the professors or is it hard to really establish connections with them? Thank you so much ;)

Sorry for the late reply, I just got back from a banquet!

I sincerely appreciate all of the tireless hard work you and the rest of the application committee have put into scouring our thousands of applications, making the difficult decision of who should get in and who should not out of countless highly qualified applicants. I know I could never do that job because I'd be thinking everyone should get in, but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I'm very glad you pointed out the new legislation. It puts my mind at ease. Whether or not it's an excuse, the fact is I brought up the "diversity" thing in the midst of my mental breakdown because one of the people who was helping me prepare for the interview kept going on about how I am a very "not diverse" candidate and so I must present myself in other ways to be competitive. And when I say she stressed this I mean she brought this point up any chance she got to the point that it was aggravating, and so this thought was on my mind when I was being a keyboard warrior in the bathroom earlier, even though truly I know that is not the reason I was rejected. The fact is my experiences are weak. I know that and yet I did not want to admit it to myself. I have decided to pursue a master's degree, get more experience and research, and come back in a few years when I am ready. I want to congratulate everyone who got in. You guys have worked so hard for this. Savor this moment and become the amazing veterinarians you have always dreamed of becoming!! Good luck to you all, and I'll see you again in a few years.

For those who applied through multiple cycles, if you were invited to interview did you reapply with essentially the same application or did you end up rewriting your personal statement and supplementals?

IS rejection. 3.98 GPA, ~10-11k hours vet experience (working since I was 15) + overseas and domestic veterinary volunteer experience. It seems like all of my grueling work was in vain, and that I completely wasted my time focusing on grades and working. I believe my interview had to be the only thing holding my application down, even though I think I did well on it, just not exceptional. I thought my answer for the scenario question was pretty good too. Kinda sucks that it’s worth over half of the score, and that GPA and work experience weight is severely capped because of it. Any tips on how to show how much I’ve done through my interview, since the interviewers don’t get to see files?

I feel this. Now my hours didn’t come anywhere near yours so I can definitely say my hours are to blame but for you that’s just… insane to be honest. Things like this really do make you wonder how decisions are made. Do file review for sure. It sucks because the only other school that offered me file review told me that in all honesty my application was great and it was luck and the applicant pool this year.

IS rejection. 3.98 GPA, ~10-11k hours vet experience (working since I was 15) + overseas and domestic veterinary volunteer experience. It seems like all of my grueling work was in vain, and that I completely wasted my time focusing on grades and working. I believe my interview had to be the only thing holding my application down, even though I think I did well on it, just not exceptional. I thought my answer for the scenario question was pretty good too. Kinda sucks that it’s worth over half of the score, and that GPA and work experience weight is severely capped because of it. Any tips on how to show how much I’ve done through my interview, since the interviewers don’t get to see files?
I’ve been told by multiple vets that vet school interviews are a personality test. They want to see that you fit in and that you are collaborative. Try emphasizing in the “tell me about a time when” questions how you interact with your peers. It’s so competitive and grades just aren’t enough anymore. I wish you good luck in re-applying you got this!!!!