Ohio State c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a very random question but does anyone know how hard it is to miss one day of class/ if we can just attend virtually? I need to miss one day (August 30th) for a wedding and I am majorly stressed about it. When do exams start?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very random question but does anyone know how hard it is to miss one day of class/ if we can just attend virtually? I need to miss one day (August 30th) for a wedding and I am majorly stressed about it. When do exams start?
Extremely easy, you'll submit an absence form online & it'll be approved & you'll be fine! That's also even assuming you have class that day, if they continue to have Clinical Skills on Fridays for first years they may not have you start til the following week. But either way, incredibly easy & usually virtually no push back to submitting an absence form - I'll check with the PPS office to see whether you need to submit it before the semester starts & get back to you!

Extremely easy, you'll submit an absence form online & it'll be approved & you'll be fine! That's also even assuming you have class that day, if they continue to have Clinical Skills on Fridays for first years they may not have you start til the following week. But either way, incredibly easy & usually virtually no push back to submitting an absence form - I'll check with the PPS office to see whether you need to submit it before the semester starts & get back to you!
Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Need to fulfill one more prereq! Does anyone know if it can be done at a community college rather than a University? Thanks in advance!

Need to fulfill one more prereq! Does anyone know if it can be done at a community college rather than a University? Thanks in advance!
100%, OSU doesn’t care!

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone suggest some apartments that are close to the university? Thanks 😊

Can anyone suggest some apartments that are close to the university? Thanks 😊
How close are you thinking? Walking distance, biking distance, easy driving distance? Those are likely the most helpful way to help.

The ones that are easy walking distance would be Stadium View, Lennox Flats, and Fisher Commons, possibly Somerset Square condos. Otherwise, there are a ton of complexes within easy driving distance throughout Upper Arlington, Grandview, Marble Cliff, and others closer to main campus. The only ones I have consistently heard bad things about are The Quarry and Governour's Square in UA, happy to guide otherwise if you have prospects!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know about OSU campus safety? I'm Canadian so I am a bit worried about certain laws there. Plus, in the news it doesn't look too great... making me nervous to attend.

Additionally, is living on residence available for vet students? Are dorm residences safe? And is parking available? Thank you!!!

Does anyone know about OSU campus safety? I'm Canadian so I am a bit worried about certain laws there. Plus, in the news it doesn't look too great... making me nervous to attend.

Additionally, is living on residence available for vet students? Are dorm residences safe? And is parking available? Thank you!!!
What laws are you concerned about?

Safety)
Like all cities, there are good and bad parts of town. The vet school is in an area that I would consider safe. Go a mile in one direction after dark, you’re in a shady area. Go a mile in another direction after dark, you could walk alone with a pocket full of money and I don’t think anyone would ever bother you. So again, it’s very location dependent. High street, which is where a lot of the popular bars are, is where a lot of crime happens. However, it’s mostly after dark and again, and isolated. I go to the vet school at night all the time. I’ve never even felt the need to be more than ordinarily vigilant. My apartment is also about a mile away from the vet school, and it is SO safe, I don’t even feel like I have to lock my doors. I’ve gone out plenty of times and also never really question my own safety.

Parking)

There is plenty of parking. We buy a parking pass. It’s expensive (like $500 a year). There’s a main lot and an overflow lot. The overflow lot is about a ~3 minute walk from being inside the vet school doors, so it’s not that bad if you do have to park in the overflow lot. I’ve never seen both lots ever fill up, so don’t worry too much about parking.

Housing)

From my understanding, there are no dorms for students in professional school. You would need to live in an off-campus apartment or house. The vet school is not connected to main campus. There are many great options within a mile or two of the school.

Current students,
  • Can you speak to the amount of opportunities tOSU has for those of us interested in Wildlife/Zoo/Exotics?
  • What is the typical schedule like for first years with the new curriculum? Are we on campus every day? Are there typically exams on Monday or Friday?
  • What have you found to be the pros/cons to the new curriculum?
Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 users
How close are you thinking? Walking distance, biking distance, easy driving distance? Those are likely the most helpful way to help.

The ones that are easy walking distance would be Stadium View, Lennox Flats, and Fisher Commons, possibly Somerset Square condos. Otherwise, there are a ton of complexes within easy driving distance throughout Upper Arlington, Grandview, Marble Cliff, and others closer to main campus. The only ones I have consistently heard bad things about are The Quarry and Governour's Square in UA, happy to guide otherwise if you have prospects!
Thank you for the information! Im open to it being within waking distance or up to a 10 min drive. :)

Has anyone applied to scholarships through Scholarship Universe yet? :)
Working on trying to apply to some.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone going about finding roommates and housing? I have been looking on facebook, but all I can find is undergrad housing. I would love to live with other vet students!

How is everyone going about finding roommates and housing? I have been looking on facebook, but all I can find is undergrad housing. I would love to live with other vet students!
The 2027 class president will create a Facebook group for your class once the acceptance deadline has passed, that’s where a lot of prospective roommates will post rooms & requests, that’s how I found my first one before I knew anyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Current students,
  • Can you speak to the amount of opportunities tOSU has for those of us interested in Wildlife/Zoo/Exotics?
  • What is the typical schedule like for first years with the new curriculum? Are we on campus every day? Are there typically exams on Monday or Friday?
  • What have you found to be the pros/cons to the new curriculum?
Thanks so much!
I am not really involved in wildlife/zoo/exotics, so I am not the best person to speak on this, but I do know that there is a wildlife/exotics club which I believe offers opportunities for students.
As a first year, last semester I had no classes regularly scheduled for Monday (occasionally there may be something scheduled). This semester I do typically have class Mon-Fri. I am usually done with class by ~3ish on average. Every now and then there may be a late day where we finish around 5 but they are not often. Exams are on Mondays and OSCEs for clinical skills are on Fridays.
I will say the main con with the new curriculum is that they are still figuring it all out since they have only had it for only 2 years now. Based on conversations with second years, some of the content that they had on their exams has differed slightly from what I have had on mine and I would expect it will be slightly different for each incoming class until they sort out all the kinks. One thing I do like about it though is that we have pre-recorded videos to watch prior to class and it kinda has the "flipped classroom" vibe.

Has tOSU released any info on rabies vaccines? Are we supposed to get it before we head to Ohio?

does anyone what time scholarship universe closes tomorrow? Also why did they email us a deadline of March 15 when scholarship universe says 3/31??

There are some graduate housing available. There is Neil Avenue and Gateway. I live in Neil and I feel very safe. It’s easy to bike/walk to the vet school and other places. You have to apply early, I applied in April and nearly didn’t get one. Rent isn’t so bad it’s around 975 this year for an efficiency apartment. It goes up about 30 dollars a year I think. That was the increment from last year. But you don’t have to pay electricity, water or wifi or things like that.

There are some graduate housing available. There is Neil Avenue and Gateway. I live in Neil and I feel very safe. It’s easy to bike/walk to the vet school and other places. You have to apply early, I applied in April and nearly didn’t get one. Rent isn’t so bad it’s around 975 this year for an efficiency apartment. It goes up about 30 dollars a year I think. That was the increment from last year. But you don’t have to pay electricity, water or wifi or things like that.
Hi there! Is there a parking lot for Neil Avenue’s housing? I couldn’t find anything on OSU’s website… Thank you!

does anyone what time scholarship universe closes tomorrow? Also why did they email us a deadline of March 15 when scholarship universe says 3/31??
The CVM-scholarships end early, but a number of the Scholarship Universe general ones don't close til 3/31. Most of the ones we have access to aren't given to first years, typically those would only be recruitment scholarships. But you can usually get them for the following 3 years!

Anyone else get their file review back? Mine was… not helpful but that’s okay haha. For the interview part they told me that my love for animals did not let me overcome my anorexia and they would have loved to hear how I actually overcome it. I mean damn I didn’t know they were there when I was using my goal of vet med as self-motivation towards recovery. Anyway I’ll try again in a few years after my masters and I guess I’ll either make up a lie about how I overcome my disease or I’ll use a different example. They also said I had no community service or leadership. I’m reading over my application right now with my advisor and we’re scratching our heads like where are they not seeing it clearly listed at? Did anyone else have this problem? Either way I’ll make sure to get as much as I can in Columbus. Knowing this should I work at a vet clinic or just focus on volunteering? They did not list my animal/veterinary experience as an area that needs improvement.

For the interview part they told me that my love for animals did not let me overcome my anorexia and they would have loved to hear how I actually overcome it. I mean damn I didn’t know they were there when I was using my goal of vet med as self-motivation towards recovery. Anyway I’ll try again in a few years after my masters and I guess I’ll either make up a lie about how I overcome my disease or I’ll use a different example.
I saw your post on reddit. They did not say that your love for animals did not let you overcome anorexia. They said that "loving veterinary medicine and animals will not always save you from a health crisis or adversity." The "how" that they are looking for are the tangible coping skills that you developed that will help you in the future. Certainly no one is asking you to lie, but you need to articulate such skills more clearly.

I know that this process is frustrating and that you worked hard for the GPA and experiences that you have. But I think you could benefit from more introspection on the feedback you got. I hope this gap year brings lots of growth for you and wish you luck for future cycles!

Reactions: 4 users
I saw your post on reddit. They did not say that your love for animals did not let you overcome anorexia. They said that "loving veterinary medicine and animals will not always save you from a health crisis or adversity." The "how" that they are looking for are the tangible coping skills that you developed that will help you in the future. Certainly no one is asking you to lie, but you need to articulate such skills more clearly.

I know that this process is frustrating and that you worked hard for the GPA and experiences that you have. But I think you could benefit from more introspection on the feedback you got. I hope this gap year brings lots of growth for you and wish you luck for future cycles!
Thank you so much! Everyone has given me such fantastic advice already and it just keeps coming. I will be sure to focus more on the HOW in future essays and interviews. As I mentioned in my replies on Reddit, it's hard for me to articulate a definitive explanation besides my love for animals because anorexia is a mental battle that you must have the willpower and desire to overcome. That being said, I don't think I gave the people in my life or the experiences I've had since middle school any due credit, and therefore I must incorporate these aspects into my application in the future. I appreciate your feedback tremendously!

• Care
Thank you so much! Everyone has given me such fantastic advice already and it just keeps coming. I will be sure to focus more on the HOW in future essays and interviews. As I mentioned in my replies on Reddit, it's hard for me to articulate a definitive explanation besides my love for animals because anorexia is a mental battle that you must have the willpower and desire to overcome. That being said, I don't think I gave the people in my life or the experiences I've had since middle school any due credit, and therefore I must incorporate these aspects into my application in the future. I appreciate your feedback tremendously!
I honestly think the best thing you can say is what drove you to work on things in each moment - I think vet schools get concerned when they get vague "everything leads back to love of animals" kind of answers. It doesn't show much introspection or honesty about your experiences. But, something like "It took a lot of determination and grit to get through my eating disorder - I knew that if I didn't get healthy enough to leave the hospital and function in school, I wouldn't be able to realize my dream of becoming a vet. These are the specific ways I reminded myself of those goals on a daily basis, and through determination & therapy & a lot of support from my family, I was able to develop a much healthier way to cope with stress, specifically (this way)" would work fine. They don't want you to be dishonest, but they want to actually be sure you understand HOW your thoughts changed. For example, I was able to point to a specific conversation on a road trip with my mother that was the turning point in my decision to work towards vet med - we laid out the pros and cons of a lot of animal jobs, we talked about how going into 8+ years of school at age 26 would be hard & painful & expensive, and I decided to try it because of an adult, rational decision about how I wanted my life to look. Then I spent the first few weeks working in a vet hospital & absolutely loved every second of it for (listed specific reasons), and despite struggling in coursework, I just kept working and struggling and got myself through. THAT is the type of answer they want - something that shows you understand that a trite "loving animals" answer doesn't make any direct sense as a way to get you through an eating disorder.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I honestly think the best thing you can say is what drove you to work on things in each moment - I think vet schools get concerned when they get vague "everything leads back to love of animals" kind of answers. It doesn't show much introspection or honesty about your experiences. But, something like "It took a lot of determination and grit to get through my eating disorder - I knew that if I didn't get healthy enough to leave the hospital and function in school, I wouldn't be able to realize my dream of becoming a vet. These are the specific ways I reminded myself of those goals on a daily basis, and through determination & therapy & a lot of support from my family, I was able to develop a much healthier way to cope with stress, specifically (this way)" would work fine. They don't want you to be dishonest, but they want to actually be sure you understand HOW your thoughts changed. For example, I was able to point to a specific conversation on a road trip with my mother that was the turning point in my decision to work towards vet med - we laid out the pros and cons of a lot of animal jobs, we talked about how going into 8+ years of school at age 26 would be hard & painful & expensive, and I decided to try it because of an adult, rational decision about how I wanted my life to look. Then I spent the first few weeks working in a vet hospital & absolutely loved every second of it for (listed specific reasons), and despite struggling in coursework, I just kept working and struggling and got myself through. THAT is the type of answer they want - something that shows you understand that a trite "loving animals" answer doesn't make any direct sense as a way to get you through an eating disorder.

Thank you so much! Examples like this are exactly what I need to frame my thoughts for upcoming cycles. I appreciate this so much. Good luck in your future schooling and your career. You are going to be a phenomenal veterinarian!

Any movement yet on the wait-list? I see some comments on other boards showing movements in UF and Michigan State already?

Any movement yet on the wait-list? I see some comments on other boards showing movements in UF and Michigan State already?
They told us in our emails that they will not be making any offers off the waitlist until after the April 15th deadline passes. Not too much longer.

has anyone received scholarships yet? and do u have to accept to receive one?

I received scholarship info on Friday. I did accept my seat prior to receiving the email but it’s not necessary in order to receive a scholarship.

No, you would be able to receive recruitment scholarships before accepting (as they're an enticement to attend), but you likely won't receive any other kind of scholarship for first year unless you directly apply to an outside organization.

Has anyone received financial aid or scholarship information?
You won't receive your financial aid package until after you've accepted, and also not until June-July at the earliest, especially with the delay in FAFSA this year. Once you've accepted you'll start receive emails from the financial services office/Emily Gonzalez, but you won't hear anything before that.

Has anybody not received a recruitment scholarship? Considering acceptance day is Monday

Can anyone share some ideas about housing choices or recommend any apartment complex near the campus (~10min drive)? Looking for either a studio or 1b, better with garage. I'm currently looking at The Quarry since it is quite new and looks nice overall but not sure if there are any other better options I should look into. Thanks!!!

Can anyone share some ideas about housing choices or recommend any apartment complex near the campus (~10min drive)? Looking for either a studio or 1b, better with garage. I'm currently looking at The Quarry since it is quite new and looks nice overall but not sure if there are any other better options I should look into. Thanks!!!
This is a list a veterinary student posted in the FB gc:
Colony Square (5mins)
Governors square (10mins)
Heritage Apartment (5mins)
Grandview Apartments
Chatham village apartments
Tillmore at Quarry Trails

Longer commute
Pickerington (30-40mins)
Pickerington Ridge Apartments

Be advised, the Quarry has bad ratings and there are frequent complaints in former OSU forums.

Colony Square (5mins)
Grandview Apartments

Longer commute
Pickerington (30-40mins)

Be advised, the Quarry has bad ratings and there are frequent complaints in former OSU forums.
Not to butt in but as someone who currently lives in Cbus, I wouldn't live in Pickerington (especially commuting to the vet school)- it's a little sketchy and all the way across town the long way through the center of the city, you'll get caught in both morning and evening commute traffic

A couple that I didn't see mentioned that are in cute areas that are worth the slight commute: Clintonville Commons, Olentangy Village

Other areas to look: Grandview (lots of 20-somethings and young professionals), Victorian Village (urban), parts of Worthington (suburban), German Village and upper Merion Village (urban and cute and scenic, slightly longer commute), Dublin (suburban), Marble Cliff (think the rent is cheap and have heard decent things about the huge apartment complex there, forget the name sorry- I think it's on Runaway Bay Dr.)

Colony Square (5mins)
Grandview Apartments

Longer commute
Pickerington (30-40mins)

Thank you so much!!!

Colony Square (5mins)
Grandview Apartments

Longer commute
Pickerington (30-40mins)

Also add Somerset Condos (5 minutes) and Arlington Pointe (10 minutes), good maintenance & reasonable prices

Any news on the wait-list yet? This wait is very hard!
I never heard anything today, and I haven’t seen anyone else post anything on other sites.

Does anyone know if we need to reach out to their office individually for updates? Their email said they would try to update us as the list changes but I wasn’t sure if that typically happened?

I never heard anything today, and I haven’t seen anyone else post anything on other sites.

Does anyone know if we need to reach out to their office individually for updates? Their email said they would try to update us as the list changes but I wasn’t sure if that typically happened?
You'll almost definitely need to reach out for updates, but I would give them at least a week past the decision deadline before you check in. You'll definitely be updated if you are chosen off the list, though.

You'll almost definitely need to reach out for updates, but I would give them at least a week past the decision deadline before you check in. You'll definitely be updated if you are chosen off the list, though.
Thank you so much for confirming! I’ll hang in there and see what the next week or so brings 🥲

Update: I got a phone call from the admissions team around 10am with my acceptance offer!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Update: I got a phone call from the admissions team around 10am with my acceptance offer!!!
Congratulations!! Are numbers 3-5 IS on here? ~From a patiently waiting number 6

Last edited: