*** Official 2013-2014 Rejection Thread!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be making myself comfortable in here

Pre-interview hold: George Washington, Drexel, Loyola

Rejected: Mayo, Case Western, Boston, Medical College of Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, University of Chicago, Baylor

Members don't see this ad.

Joining the rejection party
UCSF, USC, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, BU, & Twin City Minn

Pre-Interview hold at UCDavis, Drexel, Arizona Tucson :/

Joining the rejection party
UCSF, USC, Vanderbilt, Nebraska, BU, & Twin City Minn

Pre-Interview hold at UCDavis, Drexel, Arizona Tucson :/

did you get a pre interview hold at UCdavis via email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from 5 schools (indiana, wayne, cooper, umdnj, and missouri-columbia) and pre hold from 2 schools (upstate and george washington).

Rejected from 5 schools (indiana, wayne, cooper, umdnj, and missouri-columbia) and pre hold from 2 schools (upstate and george washington).

I was on hold at GW for over two months and recently been offered an interview. Do not take a hold as a rejection.

yay I can join the party now!

pre-secondary rejections: vanderbilt :(, UCSF

post-secondary rejection: Georgetown

pre-interview holds: GW, Oakland :(, Drexel

yay I can join the party now!

pre-secondary rejections: vanderbilt :(, UCSF

post-secondary rejection: Georgetown

pre-interview holds: GW, Oakland :(, Drexel

Welcome to the party. Keep your head up.

A lot of the current medical students I talked to said they only had one or two acceptances at the end of their cycle. I think medical schools do a pretty good job of managing their yield and keeping their acceptance rates competitive.

It's just not like college where you have tons of acceptances to fluff your ego.

This! Only one interview for me, lots of rejection but that one important acceptance! It only takes one :) I am now happily a third year. Good luck everyone.

I openly disclosed a disability in my personal statement... I have 8 rejections: UCSF, Duke, BU. Vanderbilt, UW, Wisconsin, UChicago, Georgetown

Pre interview holds at UCSD, USC, GW

20 remaining schools with silence

Oh I can join this thread now with my pre secondary rejection from UC Irvine :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I openly disclosed a disability in my personal statement... I have 8 rejections: UCSF, Duke, BU. Vanderbilt, UW, Wisconsin, UChicago, Georgetown

That's rough. Guess it depends what kind of disability when you take into consideration the technical requirements the schools have and whether it's a learning or physical one.

Its neither. In fact, I don't consider myself to have a disability as I require no accommodations and no one would ever know I had something unless I told them. I made a major mistake I now realize, and may have to reapply next year to all different schools that don't have my previous application. I have a lizzy M of 72...

Last edited:
Its neither. In fact, I don't consider myself to have a disability as I require no accommodations and no one would ever know I had something unless I told them. I made a major mistake I now realize, and may have to reapply next year to all different schools that don't have my previous application. I have a lizzy M of 72...

Yeah I guess they might just see it and nope the application right there. Why did you include it if it doesn't affect your outside appearance/actions? Just a matter of honesty?

I am a non traditional applicant to the truest sense. I always wanted to be a doctor, but somehow wound up as a professional touring musician, producer, engineer. I was advised by a member of the board of fellows from HMS to tell my story, guess I shouldn't have taken that advice.

There is still hope - 20 schools with silence is still 20 schools without rejections. If not, Ill just keep working in medicine like I do, and apply differently to different places next year.

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need" - The Stones

I am a non traditional applicant to the truest sense. I always wanted to be a doctor, but somehow wound up as a professional touring musician, producer, engineer. I was advised by a member of the board of fellows from HMS to tell my story, guess I shouldn't have taken that advice.

There is still hope - 20 schools with silence is still 20 schools without rejections. If not, Ill just keep working in medicine like I do, and apply differently to different places next year.

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need" - The Stones

True, most of the schools you listed are pretty hard to get into. Good luck.

I honestly don't think that's what it is. I've had friends disclose bipolar disorder and the like and score interviews and acceptances. Obviously i don't know what it is you're taking about, so what you're saying is possible. But consider the competitiveness of the schools you applied to and analyze the other aspectsof your application. A LizzyM score will get your application looked at but won't get you an interview or an acceptance. Maybe assess your competitiveness at the schools you applied to in all other respects besides stats

I mean this positively, i swear, i don't think its a disability as long as you disclosed for a reason: part of your story, etc....

Pre-interview holds at University of Arizona and Drexel. Would have loved to go to Arizona but I knew as an OOS underdog it was a long shot.

I honestly don't think that's what it is. I've had friends disclose bipolar disorder and the like and score interviews and acceptances. Obviously i don't know what it is you're taking about, so what you're saying is possible. But consider the competitiveness of the schools you applied to and analyze the other aspectsof your application. A LizzyM score will get your application looked at but won't get you an interview or an acceptance. Maybe assess your competitiveness at the schools you applied to in all other respects besides stats

I mean this positively, i swear, i don't think its a disability as long as you disclosed for a reason: part of your story, etc....
Ok reading back that doesn't sound as supportive as i intended.

I really think something like what you're describing(disability) makes you unique, showcases your story, makes you sympathetic and would actually help you get an interview so long as all the other boxes are checked for what they want from an applicant at their school, research, clinical experience etc.

I really applaud you for disclosing and my naive opinion is that struggling with any disability and still having the dedication, and poising your self to have a competitive application for medical school is amazing and more than most applicants can say

Since this is the SDN I didn't post a resume. I have the numbers yes, I also have publications, awards in medicine (fellowship) in surgery, thousands of hours of hospital time, EMT time, community service time, excellent LORs, and a plethora of interesting experiences. I have taken into full consideration the competitiveness of everywhere in which I have applied

My previous life was as a successful professional musician (I played with James Brown Band- after his death, opened for national touring acts like Linkin Park...), before continuing to work for major labels in engineering. This was after being a ski patroller and training dogs for the Iditarod race.

My undergrad advising told me I was their strongest medical school applicant. I am not really sure where the weakness is. My colleagues at Columbia have pointed to the personal statement, and the disability. I have gone to people on admissions committees who have told me that that is the only fault they can find.

I agree with you about disclosing a disability, it is part of my story. However,I am not getting interviews at the less competitive schools either (I applied to 31 schools, most of them not top tier). I am a very competitive applicant. Scores are the boring part of my resume, but they seem to be the focus of SDN discussions, so I hope this sheds a bit more light.

I appreciate your post, and am very happy to hear you have had friends that have had success while in similar situations.

Time to join this party.

I got hit by the Vandy pre-secondary reject wave a couple Fridays ago as well as Boston last week. It is a little comforting to not have any others yet since I applied to Chicago, Tulane, USC and more that have seemed pretty reject happy, although I am pretty sure that it is just because of my late secondary completions (stupid committee letter).

II at Oklahoma.

solidarity, sisters! (and brothers)

^ DrBone, you sound like an outstanding candidate. I just think the competitive schools you are applying to make the bulk of their interviews in the November through March timeframe.

I think the less competitive schools want to accept outstanding candidates who will likely attend, not placeholders to relieve a candidate of their anxiety early in the application cycle. So you can't base your self-worth on the fact that you're not getting positive word from them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Since this is the SDN I didn't post a resume. I have the numbers yes, I also have publications, awards in medicine (fellowship) in surgery, thousands of hours of hospital time, EMT time, community service time, excellent LORs, and a plethora of interesting experiences. I have taken into full consideration the competitiveness of everywhere in which I have applied

My previous life was as a successful professional musician (I played with James Brown Band- after his death, opened for national touring acts like Linkin Park...), before continuing to work for major labels in engineering. This was after being a ski patroller and training dogs for the Iditarod race.

My undergrad advising told me I was their strongest medical school applicant. I am not really sure where the weakness is. My colleagues at Columbia have pointed to the personal statement, and the disability. I have gone to people on admissions committees who have told me that that is the only fault they can find.

I agree with you about disclosing a disability, it is part of my story. However,I am not getting interviews at the less competitive schools either (I applied to 31 schools, most of them not top tier). I am a very competitive applicant. Scores are the boring part of my resume, but they seem to be the focus of SDN discussions, so I hope this sheds a bit more light.

I appreciate your post, and am very happy to hear you have had friends that have had success while in similar situations.
I'm going to ignore the veiled attitude I'm getting off your post because i know you're frustrated.

I have no idea why those schools rejected you, you sound fascinating and like you've poised yourself very well for medicine. I know you've heard it before and its probably not helpful, but the process is random. I have an interview at ucsf, and columbia but a rejection from usc and bu. Also, it is still early. I won't besurprised if you end up reporting multiple top 20 acceptances in May.

It is frustrating. But I appreciate when I hear open minded people such as yourself offering support Lall. I wish you the very best, and I can also say, who didn't get rejected by BU haha.

Congrats on your UCSF interview!!! I hold them in the highest regard, and I can also say that I got a personalized, beautiful letter of encouragement (non-form rejection that was actually signed by the dean). That place has some class.

We will see what will happen. I may get in, I may not. I have come to terms with that. I also know its a random process, you never know which person on the adcom is going to look at you, what they ate for lunch, if they have gas, and if they are feeling interview happy.

I can tell you this, from the way you communicate and your thoughtfulness, I have complete confidence you will make the kind of practitioner I'd send my family to.

Thank you for your kind words of support. Best of luck in San Fran Man!!! I hear short white coats are the hottest new fall trend!

ugh I'm sorry :(.... but a lot of the schools you just listed reject people very quickly/readily (esp. UChicago, BU, Vanderbilt, UCSF)... also GW puts almost everyone on hold I think. So keep your chin up and stay positive!

ugh also... so many schools I feel like I'm getting silent rejects from :(

Also, if you feel like having fun in the city when you are in NYC... I most likely will be working the day of your interview. I'll be in the pediatric ER distracting babies while we extract their precious bodily fluids (Dr. Strangelove). Might see you during your tour, I promise you'll never see an ER like it, its like an arcade from the early nineties. Sometimes the video games make you forget you are in a hospital. Washington Heights isn't a great neighborhood, but the facility is great and renovating a lot right now, Im sure you will love it and do fine. Plus if you are single, they seem to like good looking candidates. Everybody wins

Cheers!

I am positive, determined, and am going to make this happen :) . You get multiple brownie points for the panda. Makes me think of a south park episode...

I am positive, determined, and am going to make this happen :) . You get multiple brownie points for the panda. Makes me think of a south park episode...
And thank you for your kind words! I'm really excited for both but having worked in the sf.bay area for the last several years, I'd say I'm a smidge more excited about Columbia. Sounds intense but freaking amazing.

I hope its not creepy to ask but please keep us updated on your progress, Idon't know how much faith i could continue to have in the process if someone doesn't snatch you up fast. Were your secondaries complete recently? Someone mentioned the nov-march timeline for many of the higher tiers i predict your winter and spring may fill up right quick

And thank you for your kind words! I'm really excited for both but having worked in the sf.bay area for the last several years, I'd say I'm a smidge more excited about Columbia. Sounds intense but freaking amazing.

I hope its not creepy to ask but please keep us updated on your progress, Idon't know how much faith i could continue to have in the process if someone doesn't snatch you up fast. Were your secondaries complete recently? Someone mentioned the nov-march timeline for many of the higher tiers i predict your winter and spring may fill up right quick
I am happy to keep up to date on the process. I have been extra careful because I realize my particular topic is walking on political thin ice, but I do my best to stay diplomatic.

I had every secondary completed in mid July... Hence my tension.

Columbia is definitely a change of scenery from SF. But I promise after 4 years living in Washington Heights, you will itch to get out of there, haven't heard of a Columbia student that wants to stay living in the area. But it is a great glimpse at health disparities in the underserved.

Again, if you would like to meet up for a coffee or beer, Ill be at Columbia.

I am happy to keep up to date on the process. I have been extra careful because I realize my particular topic is walking on political thin ice, but I do my best to stay diplomatic.

I had every secondary completed in mid July... Hence my tension.

Columbia is definitely a change of scenery from SF. But I promise after 4 years living in Washington Heights, you will itch to get out of there, haven't heard of a Columbia student that wants to stay living in the area. But it is a great glimpse at health disparities in the underserved.

Again, if you would like to meet up for a coffee or beer, Ill be at Columbia.
Yeah totally. I'm in the process of trying to get one of the sunys to bite on an in the area email, but I'll keep ya updated/pm you!

Drbone03 - We're in the same boat (except yours has been to more exciting places and is a bit faster).

I am similarly non-traditional with equivalent (though less interesting) experiences.
Your candid statement disclosures will candidly be a red flag for some, but a further distinguishing charatersitic for others. There's no pleasing everyone.

I applied to 41 allopathic schools relatively early (complete end of july/begin aug), and other than GW (where I had a bad interview, but interview nonetheless), have been rejected at the same ones you were where we overlap.

It's also been complete silence from ~25 schools so far (listed below), but 2 acceptances just came through for me!! (hope that doesn't disqualify me from this thread!) So, I'm sure it'll work out for you too. It's still not late for the others....let's start to panic next month.

Still waiting on:
Harvard, Columbia, Baylor, Emory, Penn, Tufts, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Temple, NYU, Downstate, Buffalo, Einstein, Sinai, Hofstra, Stonybrook, Rochester, Quinnipiac, SLU, Cincinnati, Rush, Creighton, and Wright State.

Good luck!

Drbone03 - We're in the same boat (except yours has been to more exciting places and is a bit faster).

I am similarly non-traditional with equivalent (though less interesting) experiences.
Your candid statement disclosures will candidly be a red flag for some, but a further distinguishing charatersitic for others. There's no pleasing everyone.

I applied to 41 allopathic schools relatively early (complete end of july/begin aug), and other than GW (where I had a bad interview, but interview nonetheless), have been rejected at the same ones you were where we overlap.

It's also been complete silence from ~25 schools so far (listed below), but 2 acceptances just came through for me!! (hope that doesn't disqualify me from this thread!) So, I'm sure it'll work out for you too. It's still not late for the others....let's start to panic next month.

Still waiting on:
Harvard, Columbia, Baylor, Emory, Penn, Tufts, Dartmouth, Jefferson, Temple, NYU, Downstate, Buffalo, Einstein, Sinai, Hofstra, Stonybrook, Rochester, Quinnipiac, SLU, Cincinnati, Rush, Creighton, and Wright State.

Good luck!
Vegan,

You have had 3 interviews, and 2 acceptances. Its not quite the same boat, similar in terms of silence, but unlike me, you can sleep soundly at night knowing you get to matriculate in the fall.

I do appreciate the supportive statement, and Congratulations!!! You are going to be an MD and I am sure a fine one at that.

PS. We overlap at another 10 schools you have listed. They dont talk so much do they?

Vegan,

You have had 3 interviews, and 2 acceptances. Its not quite the same boat, similar in terms of silence, but unlike me, you can sleep soundly at night knowing you get to matriculate in the fall.

I do appreciate the supportive statement, and Congratulations!!! You are going to be an MD and I am sure a fine one at that.

PS. We overlap at another 10 schools you have listed. They dont talk so much do they?
Spoke too soon. Maybe they read these threads...jut got a lovely rejection from Rochester.

I applied to more schools than you did, and possibly earlier? I'm also guessing for the most part the schools I got II's at weren't on your list (UVM, Wake, Drexel, Albany, Oakland, UW)?
You're more interesting and have better stats...sucks for me at those 10 schools :)

At least the Rochester ding tells me schools are still actively reviewing and we'll hear from our other 20 soon. If somebody ever gets enterprising enough to start a betting line for SDN applicants I'd put $ on things workign out for you.

Spoke too soon. Maybe they read these threads...jut got a lovely rejection from Rochester.

I applied to more schools than you did, and possibly earlier? I'm also guessing for the most part the schools I got II's at weren't on your list (UVM, Wake, Drexel, Albany, Oakland, UW)?
You're more interesting and have better stats...sucks for me at those 10 schools :)

At least the Rochester ding tells me schools are still actively reviewing and we'll hear from our other 20 soon. If somebody ever gets enterprising enough to start a betting line for SDN applicants I'd put $ on things workign out for you.
You didn't want to have to spend four years in Rochester anyway, Im sure. Their loss!!!

One thing I do know from this application cycle, I have unfortunately become fond of nice suits.

pre-int hold:
drexel
gdub
vcu

pre-int rejection:
case western
rochester
boston
suny upstate
brown
georgetown
nymc
ucsf

lulziez

Rejected Boston - did not submit additional essay for them, rejected Vandy pre-secondary.

Rejected Rochester. 3rd rejection of the cycle.
Do Something...your MCAT is ridiculous. Can't believe you're getting rejections...seriously..wow. Ever cross your mind that a 36 or so would have been better, lol?

Anyway, after browsing the posts, here's a running list of the schools rejecting so far:
Baylor
Brown
BU
Case
Cooper
Cornell
Drexel (hold)
Duke
Duke
ETSU
EVMS
Georgetown
GW (hold)
Indiana
Loyola (hold)
Mayo
Meharry
Nebraska
NYMC
Oakland
Pitt
Quinnipiac
Rochester
Tulane
U Chic
UAriz (hold)
UC Davis
UCI
UCSF
UMDNJ
UMinn
UMiss (columbia)
Upstate (hold)
USC
UWash
UWisc
UWisc
Vandy
VCU
Wayne
WCM

Heya folks! My MCAT is apparently not enough to overcome my bad GPA and my out of state-ness at public schools. Rejections from:

Indiana
Missouri - Columbia
UCSF

It doesn't feel so bad, though. I knew UCSF was a rejection, and Indiana and Mizzou were pretty far down my list. No rejections from schools I'm really interested in yet, knock on wood. . .

Still waiting on:

Good luck!

You should consider making an MDapps if you have the time. Applying to 41 schools means you could give a lot of insight to future applicants.

I don't think Davis has done any rejections

You should consider making an MDapps if you have the time. Applying to 41 schools means you could give a lot of insight to future applicants.
Agreed. But, I want to be VERY helpful to future applicants, so I'm waiting until it's safe to provide full disclosure.

I don't think Davis has done any rejections
A few folks mentioned their "pre-interview waitlist" was tantamount to a rejection. Not the case?

Do Something...your MCAT is ridiculous. Can't believe you're getting rejections...seriously..wow. Ever cross your mind that a 36 or so would have been better, lol?

WCM

Thanks, Vegan. That's my huge fear: that my state schools will think I'm not serious about them because I have such a high score, but the "top tier" schools that my score makes me competitive for aren't looking at me because of my age and/or lack of research. :-(

Thanks and good luck on your cycle! :)

^ I really think you raise a great point. Makes me very glad my GPA/MCAT isn't stratospheric.

It also could be the waitlist is their way to see how things shake out for you this application cycle, but I'm just speculating.

Seems like I haven't heard anything in a while, good or bad. It feels like the whole AMCAS debacle has spilled into the whole application cycle with things taking a while to be put out from the schools. Anyone else feel this way?