Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like a lot of people on here including lurkers are close to that feeling if that makes you feel better

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah it was just a bunch of stuff overblown, just gotta keep chugging lol

Members don't see this ad.

Still feeling like a breakdown is coming. I’ve had 3 anesthesia IIs since 10/2. Seven days of silence. 168 hours. Probably over 1000 email refreshes.. break. Down!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know a good source for looking at how programs fair on ITEs?

First rejection,

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine Residency Program at the Medical College of Georgia. We have currently filled all available interview spots for this year. In the event that we have cancellations, we will send out additional invitations.

We wish you the best in your Residency search this season.
Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone just get that message from Medical College of Georgia? Is it seriously that late in the game?!

Reactions: 1 users
First rejection,

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in the Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine Residency Program at the Medical College of Georgia. We have currently filled all available interview spots for this year. In the event that we have cancellations, we will send out additional invitations.

We wish you the best in your Residency search this season.
Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University
Is it a rejection though? It seemed more like a .. we don’t have any more slots available right now

Oh God we're only going to get 1 more invite max

Just got an email from Georgia that stated that all interview spots were full already and they wouldn't be sending out anymore invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in the 2017-2018 thread it said that Georgia was still extending interviews until 12/20. Not sure if its just a 'nice' rejection by saying that all their interview slots are full, or if interviews are really actually filling up faster this year.

Oh well, time will tell!

Seems like a soft rejection; I'm getting a "we might send out more interviews, but don't count on it". I'm sure their waitlists are full too. Not sure how many people actually want to go to Augusta tho, is this year just super competitive?

Seems like a soft rejection; I'm getting a "we might send out more interviews, but don't count on it". I'm sure their waitlists are full too. Not sure how many people actually want to go to Augusta tho, is this year just super competitive?
I’d agree about the soft rejection. I feel like it’s not more competitive this year.. we are just more neurotic this year. I’ll do some more research though

It does look like that programs are sending out interview invitations earlier this year in comparison to last year. MCG is asking for applicants NOT to send emails inquiries.

Whoops. Didn't see Chromuffin got the same email. Sorry to reiterate the hype of rejections hahaha.

Can’t get rejected if you never applied

Reactions: 1 users
Went down a rabbit hole of last year’s thread. Seems like they got interviews later than us but even still there were people with low invites at this stage in the game that ended up with more..

Went down a rabbit hole of last year’s thread. Seems like they got interviews later than us but even still there were people with low invites at this stage in the game that ended up with more..

So what you’re saying is don’t panic keep calm and carry-on. I understand everybody’s freaking out but guys it’s going to be a long season and you don’t want to burn out now.

So what you’re saying is don’t panic keep calm and carry-on. I understand everybody’s freaking out but guys it’s going to be a long season and you don’t want to burn out now.

Yes.. There was one guy who had like 2 invites late October/early November and got more..

I'm starting to freak out more-so over 60 hour weeks for 4 years. Really getting sick of it all. Just give me someplace with a nice 50 hour week

So here’s my conundrum.. talking with my Programs old PD awhile back..he’s all about students staying at our home program but he also said that he has a lot of connections outside of the home program. Would it be smart to reach out to him or dumb if I’m trying to keep my chances high at my home program? FWIW, my home program is probably my #2-3

So here’s my conundrum.. talking with my Programs old PD awhile back..he’s all about students staying at our home program but he also said that he has a lot of connections outside of the home program. Would it be smart to reach out to him or dumb if I’m trying to keep my chances high at my home program? FWIW, my home program is probably my #2-3

I'd tell him/her you want to stay at the home program, but if the program is not a sure shot you'd appreciate them helping you secure something else. I'd take my #2/3 if its a guarantee vs gambling, but thats me

Did anyone reach out to the Johns Hopkins coordinator about scheduling prelim interviews at the same time as the Anesthesiology one? I haven't received a response in a few days. Also, is it appropriate to reach out to a Prelim program if I have an Anesthesiology interview invitation at the same hospital to maybe try to do it in the same trip?

All offers have come on Tuesday or Thursday. Hoping tomorrow is a big day

Georgia has 2 spots on the eras page. And yeah Advocate is booked, luckily I had a quick trigger finger to nab a good date for me. As an FMg this cycle has been super fortunate for me so far

Need advice: I am doing my first away rotation in anesthesia right now. I did a rotation in anesthesia at my home institution that does not have a residency program. I have one anesthesia LOR from that rotation. Right now, I have enough interviews and do not need any more (aside from more top tiers). Should I get a LOR from this away rotation? Will interviewers ask me for an eval from this rotation? Wanted to give my letter/ eval writer time.

Need advice: I am doing my first away rotation in anesthesia right now. I did a rotation in anesthesia at my home institution that does not have a residency program. I have one anesthesia LOR from that rotation. Right now, I have enough interviews and do not need any more (aside from more top tiers). Should I get a LOR from this away rotation? Will interviewers ask me for an eval from this rotation? Wanted to give my letter/ eval writer time.
I'd imagine at this point, your only use would be for someone at your current away to put in a good word for you if you really want to interview there (and haven't been invited). Otherwise, as you said, you have enough interviews.

I would say no... it's a waste of time for the writer's time since it will be too late and interviewers will not ask for additional information.

If anything this next week will likely be even slower due to ASA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn’t aware Texas programs were so hot on everyone’s radar, def feel lucky now. I have no connection to Texas besides my love for authentic Mexican food....

No, they will not ask for an eval from this rotation. You have the interviews. You will match assuming you have no red flags.

A strong LOR may help you, but I doubt it will make much difference overall.

Interviewed at Oklahoma last week and don't understand why this program doesn't get that much love? can't find any positive opinions on it on the inter web during my search over the past week. Seems like solid clinical training and extremely happy residents. I think the entire program and their family was at the interview dinner.

also, Indiana just sent out a 100 interview invite bomb via email through early December