Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how short of notice we may get for an II? I’m trying to figure out if my November schedule is set for the most part. And if we do get an II would the dates be more or less offered later (more Dec/Jan) at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how short of notice we may get for an II? I’m trying to figure out if my November schedule is set for the most part. And if we do get an II would the dates be more or less offered later (more Dec/Jan) at this point?
I think once we get to the point that they are sending based on cancellations you need to be ready to go on a moments notice. Until then there will probably be spots to choose from

Members don't see this ad :)
That was my "wave" this week
5 rejections, 1 invite.

To be fair all 5 were at places I had less than a 0% chance at, but why not.
My “wave” this week.. 2 rejections, 0 invites. Longest dry spell here probably at 15 days...

Anybody get anything today? I feel like I’m back in middle school on AOL messenger just waiting for that special someone to send me a message which always ended in disappointment because it never happened :-(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody get anything today? I feel like I’m back in middle school on AOL messenger just waiting for that special someone to send me a message which always ended in disappointment because it never happened :-(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I got a message from VCU’s prelim program saying “we will interview you if you get an invite to your advanced program”.. at this rate I’ve got like 5 prelim interviews if I get invites for anesthesia.

I got a message from VCU’s prelim program saying “we will interview you if you get an invite to your advanced program”.. at this rate I’ve got like 5 prelim interviews if I get invites for anesthesia.

Is that typical for prelim medicine programs? So you're saying that some or most are only interested if you get advanced position invites? Seems like a lot to synchronize. Why would they care?

I expected a quiet week since ASA is this week. Since ASA finished today, maybe some invites tomorrow or Friday, but I’d think next week could be a solid week for invites

Members don't see this ad :)
I expected a quiet week since ASA is this week. Since ASA finished today, maybe some invites tomorrow or Friday, but I’d think next week could be a solid week for invites

Why wouldn't they have this crap figured out by now? What are they waiting for, Christmas?

It’s frustrating when you see people in other specialties with like 20 IIs and yet I’m here with 3. Like, my friends are legit worried for me and I keep saying, nah bro it’s just the ASA meeting. If I don’t have something by mid next week then idek what excuse I’ll use..

Reactions: 1 users
It’s frustrating when you see people in other specialties with like 20 IIs and yet I’m here with 3. Like, my friends are legit worried for me and I keep saying, nah bro it’s just the ASA meeting. If I don’t have something by mid next week then idek what excuse I’ll use..
Hah same.

I’m very jealous of my Family Med friends. Literally already have 10+ local SoCal interviews with a step of 210. They’ll be done interviewing before I’m starting

Reactions: 2 users
Maimo just sent out a wave(?) of interviews

(and those spots on Thalamus filled up quick!)

Rejection from UCSD Internal Medicine... didn't apply for IM, but maybe this means rejection from the medicine prelim??

That's what it means. So sorry. Prelims positions at popular location are very competitive. If you applied to UCSD categorical anesthesia program, that door is still open...

I imagine the community hospital transitional internship affiliated with UCSD anesthesia is even more competitive. It is full of derm/ophtho/radonc interns but I think they reserve 6 spots for UCSD anesthesia residents.

Just had this realization...
What happens if I get an interview invite while I’m interviewing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had this realization...
What happens if I get an interview invite while I’m interviewing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Constantly refresh your email during the interview. They'll understand. Gotta be dedicated to the game.

Anyone have info for the following programs?

Lahey Clinic
Rutgers
SUNY Downstate

just stuff like typical schedule, what kinds of cases are common, general impressions, etc
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson or Rutgers New Jersey Medical School Program ? both are under Rutgers but are different?

Hah same.

I’m very jealous of my Family Med friends. Literally already have 10+ local SoCal interviews with a step of 210. They’ll be done interviewing before I’m starting
All of the FM folks I spoke to applied to 10 programs or less and some are planning on going to 5 interviews max ... Meanwhile, all the derms are applying to every derm program out there and they all have phenomenal applications..

Got Columbia. Do they really only do interviews in Dec. and January?

Got Columbia. Do they really only do interviews in Dec. and January?

They seem to only give you four dates to choose from. I got only two Oct and two Nov dates to choose from :(

They seem to only give you four dates to choose from. I got only two Oct and two Nov dates to choose from :(
This is exactly why I thought that I was close to done with scheduling interviews late last week. With new IIs, rescheduling interviews is like pulling a thread, there are only waiting list on many of my programs (and I've seen very little movement in Oct and Nov)

That's a bit silly. I can't even see November dates to waitlist.

II case western (not metro health.... was rejected by them lol). Only waitlist available though ugh

Last edited:
Nothing like starting my day with another prelim rejection, third one this week! I'm starting to think there's no more joy coming my way :(

Midwest program? Also got it
No a west coast program. I've been sitting at 5 anesthesia invites for 2 weeks. I went to the conference and sent out emails. I have nothing else I can do at this point besides become an insane stalker. I just don't know man.

No a west coast program. I've been sitting at 5 anesthesia invites for 2 weeks. I went to the conference and sent out emails. I have nothing else I can do at this point besides become an insane stalker. I just don't know man.
Santa Barbara? Sorry for any hard feelings =p

Reject from Stanford. 245 Step 1 and talked to them at ASA. Feelsbadman.

Did you talk to them at the meet and greet too? Maybe they're making decisions on our applications first.

I got an invite to Stanford - they care most about clinical grades in core clerkships (more so than Step 1 score), not sure if that offers any insight, my Step 1 score is similar to yours

I got an invite to Stanford - they care most about clinical grades in core clerkships (more so than Step 1 score), not sure if that offers any insight, my Step 1 score is similar to yours
Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense. My clerkships were pretty average.

Where did you hear/find that info? I've found program specific tidbits like that are hard to come by.

Yeah that actually makes a lot of sense. My clerkships were pretty average.

Where did you hear/find that info? I've found program specific tidbits like that are hard to come by.
Must be a Stanford med student :p

Got 3 rejections this week and 0 invites. About to be 3 weeks of no invites. Wtf is wrong with me..