Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone interviewed at Lahey? Or have information/thoughts on the program? Anything is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone interviewed at Lahey? Or have information/thoughts on the program? Anything is appreciated. Thanks

I did. I can answer specific questions. Cost of living is very high. Its a new program, so I dont think its too strong in terms of resident wellness and some of the new innovative stuff other programs are doing. Ull get good peds and OB training as its at childrens and B&W. PD seemed ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woah hey guys did I miss something ?ive been in the OR for the past two days so I could secure a ranking from this away rotation. I see there has been some tension from my 9th anesthesia interview post. I worked hard for those interviews and I am proud to see all my sacrifice, networking, traveling, bringing me closer to my dream of becoming an anesthesiologist. It’s hard to see what someone really means from a post since you can’t see their facial expression so who knows ?” but anyway no worries guys ! I’ll be letting the forum know when i hit that magic number of 10 anesthesia interviews. Will most likely come from my away anesthesia rotation in January Let’s gooooooooooooooo 3 months till match !!!!

Woah hey guys did I miss something ?ive been in the OR for the past two days so I could secure a ranking from this away rotation. I see there has been some tension from my 9th anesthesia interview post. I worked hard for those interviews and I am proud to see all my sacrifice, networking, traveling, bringing me closer to my dream of becoming an anesthesiologist. It’s hard to see what someone really means from a post since you can’t see their facial expression so who knows ?” but anyway no worries guys ! I’ll be letting the forum know when i hit that magic number of 10 anesthesia interviews. Will most likely come from my away anesthesia rotation in January Let’s gooooooooooooooo 3 months till match !!!!
Best of luck to you. I did not mean for any hostility or negativity toward you or anyone for that matter. Everyone deserves every interview they receive.

Reactions: 2 users
any thoughts on cleveland clinic and UChicago from people lthat interviewed there?

Also looking for thoughts regarding dartmouth, kentucky and rochester?

Glad you're enjoying the time in the OR! Did you get the interview invite first or the away rotation first?

I dont even know why doximity ranking is part of the excel sheet. it's garbage and meaningless
Thanks for volunteering to make a better list! We'll have you present it during rounds tomorrow

Thanks for volunteering to make a better list! We'll have you present it during rounds tomorrow

I feel like in the program reviews there should be a place for boxes like free parking food stipend and educational stipend or what they give you for it. At some programs they told me they give me a iPad and an iPhone in addition to my educational stipend

No list is better than a crap list based on nothing
Lol it's definitely been decently useful as a tool for general program strength consensus. Tell me which of the top 10 shouldn't be there, or which of the bottom 50 are actually good programs.
Mid-tier programs are harder to rank and are more interchangeable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to say because I'm only at one program. What does it mean to be a bottom 50 program? Be prepared to present your criteria on rounds tomorrow.

Hard to say because I'm only at one program. What does it mean to be a bottom 50 program? Be prepared to present your criteria on rounds tomorrow.
Programs that have a Psai in them :rofl:

I'm just playing mig. Positive vibes

Lol it's definitely been decently useful as a tool for general program strength consensus. Tell me which of the top 10 shouldn't be there, or which of the bottom 50 are actually good programs.
Mid-tier programs are harder to rank and are more interchangeable.

Columbia. probably upenn as well.
these lists are always heavily correlated to 'prestige' of the university or hospital. whether a residency is good or not goes way way beyond that. you can go to a 'prestigious' hospital but your program can still be malignant, with no teaching, no residency wellness, be in a crappy location, etc

just look at the weak methodology. it makes the list meaningless.

i'm most familiar w ny programs and i would say the majority of people in ny would not agree that columbia > cornell > nyu > sinai. this question has been asked many times on sdn, and that is never the answer.
also i would not overlook smaller programs at less known hospitals. they can get excellent training since residents are not their main workforce and they often get the best cases. In large programs, some residents will get good cases on certain days, some will not, b/c there arent enough good cases to go around. a hospital can brag all they want about how they do 300 kidney transplants per year but if they have 100 anesthesiology residents, each is doing 3 on average, versus a smaller hospital doing 100 with 15 residents.

Columbia. probably upenn as well.
these lists are always heavily correlated to 'prestige' of the university or hospital. whether a residency is good or not goes way way beyond that. you can go to a 'prestigious' hospital but your program can still be malignant, with no teaching, no residency wellness, be in a crappy location, etc

just look at the weak methodology. it makes the list meaningless.

i'm most familiar w ny programs and i would say the majority of people in ny would not agree that columbia > cornell > nyu > sinai. this question has been asked many times on sdn, and that is never the answer.
also i would not overlook smaller programs at less known hospitals. they can get excellent training since residents are not their main workforce and they often get the best cases. In large programs, some residents will get good cases on certain days, some will not, b/c there arent enough good cases to go around. a hospital can brag all they want about how they do 300 kidney transplants per year but if they have 100 anesthesiology residents, each is doing 3 on average, versus a smaller hospital doing 100 with 15 residents.

I don't think the top big name programs necessarily give the best clinical training either. I do think the top programs on that list have some of the best fellowship placements and will open up doors for you to get hired wherever you want to be across the country.

Try doing that with one of the lower ranked programs full of IMGs. Even if they offer amazing clinical training, their reputation and hiring pipeline only extends regionally at best.

I don't think the top big name programs necessarily give the best clinical training either. I do think the top programs on that list have some of the best fellowship placements and will open up doors for you to get hired wherever you want to be across the country.

Try doing that with one of the lower ranked programs full of IMGs. Even if they offer amazing clinical training, their reputation and hiring pipeline only extends regionally at best.

well columbia didn't match half their cardiac applicants, and many 'lower ranked' did. but sure if you mean the list gives you a rough idea of which programs are good and which are less good, then yes it can do that. but usually that's obvious to applicants if you are actually interested in the program

well columbia didn't match half their cardiac applicants, and many 'lower ranked' did. but sure if you mean the list gives you a rough idea of which programs are good and which are less good, then yes it can do that. but usually that's obvious to applicants if you are actually interested in the program

Honestly I feel like ITE scores will make more of a difference than name. But who knows. I’m just gonna go with my gut feeling. If the program seems malignant , it’s malignant to me. If it’s chill, it’s chill to me. Everyone has different thresholds of what they will put up with so take spread sheet with a grain of salt .

Reactions: 1 users
Best of luck to you. I did not mean for any hostility or negativity toward you or anyone for that matter. Everyone deserves every interview they receive.
Wishing you the best also ! You’ve been very nice throughout the duration of this forum .

Honestly I feel like ITE scores will make more of a difference than name. But who knows. I’m just gonna go with my gut feeling. If the program seems malignant , it’s malignant to me. If it’s chill, it’s chill to me. Everyone has different thresholds of what they will put up with so take spread sheet with a grain of salt .

Name definitely carries value. Recently interviewed at a "top 10" school. Got asked why i m better than others since i go to a new med school with no reputation

Name definitely carries value. Recently interviewed at a "top 10" school. Got asked why i m better than others since i go to a new med school with no reputation

When I’m talking about name. I’m referring to how “ top programs” on dox May not be the best places hours wise or training wise.

FYI Moved off the waitlist at Beth Israel and offered an interview. Things are moving, the waitlist is real!

Anyone heard anything from Brooklyn Methodist?

I'm interested if anyone has more info on this... at my interview a resident told me that a lot them assumed they had a spot at Columbia and didn't go on enough interviews

I'm interested if anyone has more info on this... at my interview a resident told me that a lot them assumed they had a spot at Columbia and didn't go on enough interviews

I'm forgetting the exact numbers, but traditionally Columbia has been able to effectively guarantee that home applicants can stay for whatever fellowship they want. Last year, the number of cardiac applicants was twice what it normally is, which was fairly unusual; therefore, Columbia could no longer guarantee they could all stay. The applicants knew this and fought for those Columbia spots anyway. I talked to one of the guys who got the coveted Columbia spot and he was very happy, as well as to another resident who was also happy to have matched cardiac somewhere else. For those who didn't match, I kinda got the impression they knew what they were putting on the line. It was a tough year for cardiac fellowships, and still remains unclear if this is the new trend or just a fluke year. Just my 2c

Wow that's certainly a surprise to me, granted I haven't done my Columbia interview yet. Almost every program I've been to has had 100% match rate. How did they do for pain?

I'm forgetting the exact numbers, but traditionally Columbia has been able to effectively guarantee that home applicants can stay for whatever fellowship they want. Last year, the number of cardiac applicants was twice what it normally is, which was fairly unusual; therefore, Columbia could no longer guarantee they could all stay. The applicants knew this and fought for those Columbia spots anyway. I talked to one of the guys who got the coveted Columbia spot and he was very happy, as well as to another resident who was also happy to have matched cardiac somewhere else. For those who didn't match, I kinda got the impression they knew what they were putting on the line. It was a tough year for cardiac fellowships, and still remains unclear if this is the new trend or just a fluke year. Just my 2c

Columbia does provide good training, as do the other large NYC programs as well. it's really about what you make of it. Same with getting into residency, there will be a huge variability of residency placements in your med school even if you go to a top tier med school. However, i do think no one should automatically assume their program will take them. because columbia did take outside residents into their cardiac fellowship this year, so clearly they also care about other things, not just that you are in house. I would say ITE definitely matters more than name. I mean their cardiac fellowship is like 7 fellows, and more than 7 residents applied to cardiac so that alone shouldve gotten people to go on more interviews.

Is that doximity ratings sheet accurate ? And what is it based of off ?

It's not accurate, and the methodology link on the bottom that you can check out, basically includes 'reputation',board certification rate, gender balance and some surveys, etc. It gives an idea of what programs are good, but i would in no way say their #1-10 is necessarily better than 11-20 and definitely do not recommend making a decision based on the list. People choose their rank list based on feel, and the small details. Name is one of them, but not an important one I'd say. I and MANY of my peers interviewed at many programs in the top 10/20 on that list, and we ranked those lower than current program. Any of those 'top' programs will likely provide you with good training. choose the place that you think you will be happy at

Wow that's certainly a surprise to me, granted I haven't done my Columbia interview yet. Almost every program I've been to has had 100% match rate. How did they do for pain?

Yea usually all the big name top programs get 100% match rate or very close to it. This year was likely an anomaly for columbia. Not certain about pain but i'm guessing 100%.

Last edited:
Does anyone have comments on pros/cons, differences, & reputation of the 3 NC programs (Duke, UNC, Wake Forest)?
I know Duke is considered a top 10 program, but the anesthesia resident suicide 2 yrs ago, the response of administration and current Shaughnessy lawsuit raises questions about the culture/environment

Personally, I would choose Wake Forest if I could do it again. Duke is a busy, malignant department of anesthesia. UNC is a small-feeling program with limited opportunities. I think the Wake Forest residents have the best reputation in the South but if I had to rank in order of clinical competency it would be Duke>close 2nd Wake>UNC. If I had to rank well-rounded residents, (my peers in the triangle), I would say Wake>Duke>UNC.

Been away from the forum for a bit but just wanted to remind you all (and myself) that all you need is 1 place to match. If you’re an AMG you also don’t need many IV to have a good shot. I know as med students we're obsessed with numbers and getting a higher and higher one and while more IVs does make you safer many people including IMGs will match with much less than 15, 10, 8 ect. Just keep that in mind because the stress and anxiety is real and we still have a long way to go until match.

Been away from the forum for a bit but just wanted to remind you all (and myself) that all you need is 1 place to match. If you’re an AMG you also don’t need many IV to have a good shot. I know as med students we're obsessed with numbers and getting a higher and higher one and while more IVs does make you safer many people including IMGs will match with much less than 15, 10, 8 ect. Just keep that in mind because the stress and anxiety is real and we still have a long way to go until match.
it is for the sole reason of anxiety that i am getting a puppy ...

i think majority match into top 3 ranks..

Yep, and I will re-iterate. The two charts below pretty much sums up the probability of matching is at 90+% for 6+ contiguous ranks as an osteopathic and 5+ contiguous ranks as an allopathic US. While the interview invites are well deserved, going to 10+ interviews may have diminishing returns on invested time and money.

upload_2018-12-3_21-18-15.png

upload_2018-12-3_21-18-46.png

Personally, I would choose Wake Forest if I could do it again. Duke is a busy, malignant department of anesthesia. UNC is a small-feeling program with limited opportunities. I think the Wake Forest residents have the best reputation in the South but if I had to rank in order of clinical competency it would be Duke>close 2nd Wake>UNC. If I had to rank well-rounded residents, (my peers in the triangle), I would say Wake>Duke>UNC.

What about Duke makes it malignant?

Anyone heard anything from Brooklyn Methodist?

From what I heard, a program that doesnt participate in ERAS has deficiencies in one way or another that they are trying to hide.

..Park Slope is a great neighborhood though

From what I heard, a program that doesnt participate in ERAS has deficiencies in one way or another that they are trying to hide.

..Park Slope is a great neighborhood though

But do you know if they sent out IV's already?? I applied there and havent heard anything or know of anyone who has...

Where is this December trickle action?! ‘Tis the season PDs!

Someone made a good point...PD Survey lists interactions with housestaff and feedback from current residents as one of the most important factors for ranking.
Don't residents not have any say at most programs? For my interviews they have just been there for us to talk to and ask questions.

Someone made a good point...PD Survey lists interactions with housestaff and feedback from current residents as one of the most important factors for ranking.
Don't residents not have any say at most programs? For my interviews they have just been there for us to talk to and ask questions.

Residents won’t move you up drastically but they can yank completely off the list. If they say “ they will not fit in” , “ no one will want to work with them” , that has some pull

Yep, and I will re-iterate. The two charts below pretty much sums up the probability of matching is at 90+% for 6+ contiguous ranks as an osteopathic and 5+ contiguous ranks as an allopathic US. While the interview invites are well deserved, going to 10+ interviews may have diminishing returns on invested time and money.

View attachment 243346

View attachment 243347
While these charts are statistically correct, it only implies you will match somewhere with a 90-95% chance. It does not necessarily mean a student matches at a great program he/she wants. Some applicants go on more than 10+ interviews because they want options for their future career, not only a match.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using SDN mobile

While these charts are statistically correct, it only implies you will match somewhere with a 90-95% chance. It does not necessarily mean a student matches at a great program he/she wants. Some applicants go on more than 10+ interviews because they want options for their future career, not only a match.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using SDN mobile

Matching at your top choice or #1 or a reach program is a whole different thing. I personally think people should go on as many interviews as they get unless they really overapplied and are completely overwhelmed or something. Those stats are to help reassure people who are freaking out.

Residents won’t move you up drastically but they can yank completely off the list. If they say “ they will not fit in” , “ no one will want to work with them” , that has some pull

I imagine this must vary from program to program but i think at most places residents have very minimal say. Unless your program is very small, i can't imagine a PD asking a resident what did you think of XYZ. And i cant imagine there'd be many residents whod voluntarily go to a PD and tell them XYZ would not fit in.

I imagine this must vary from program to program but i think at most places residents have very minimal say. Unless your program is very small, i can't imagine a PD asking a resident what did you think of XYZ. And i cant imagine there'd be many residents whod voluntarily go to a PD and tell them XYZ would not fit in.
Our program leadership specifically asks residents to provide them feedback about applicants (more about ones they really liked) and want to know if there was anyone we thought was just awful.

To clarify, after interview season it's just an email that basically asks "hey, is there anyone you really liked among the applicants who you'd like to put in a good word for? Let us know."

Last edited: