**Official 2021 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats, future orthodontist!
You’re going to be an orthodontist!!!!!! You’re going to be an orthodontist!!! Congratulations!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got a call for Colorado!! I’m gonna be dropping my interviews at SLU, UDM and Jacksonville. So hopefully one of u guys get it!! So happy rn. GOODLUCK EVERYONEEEE
Congratulations!!!

This thread is now double the length of last year’s ortho thread... and we still have 1.5 months until match day

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When a program is either 2 or 3 yrs depending on if you want to do masters or not, do we usually have to decide that before starting or during the program you can just do one more year to get the masters?

Got a call for Colorado!! I’m gonna be dropping my interviews at SLU, UDM and Jacksonville. So hopefully one of u guys get it!! So happy rn. GOODLUCK EVERYONEEEE
This is really exciting! Congratulations, you’re going to be an amazing orthodontist!

Does anyone know if UW is having issues with funding? I heard something about this through word of mouth but I'm not sure. I don't want to consider a program that has the possibility of shutting down...

Does anyone know if UW is having issues with funding? I heard something about this through word of mouth but I'm not sure. I don't want to consider a program that has the possibility of shutting down...
you are very correct. The school is having major problems. Also look up funding problems with their peds dept from a few years ago

When a program is either 2 or 3 yrs depending on if you want to do masters or not, do we usually have to decide that before starting or during the program you can just do one more year to get the masters?
Even i wanna know this!

Have you received the official email from them yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I haven’t yet. Tbh it’s making me a little anxious. Did you also get a call?
Yes. No email. Makes me feel a bit better that you're the same. I was starting to convince myself I imagined the call

Yes. No email. Makes me feel a bit better that you're the same. I was starting to convince myself I imagined the call

LOL can u imagine. “Whoops. Sorry, we seemed to have called the wrong person there...”

Last edited:
Hello, Can anyone please share their experience with virtual interviews. Also, any thoughts about the Jacksonville program ?!

Hello, Can anyone please share their experience with virtual interviews. Also, any thoughts about the Jacksonville program ?!

Some feedback I received that was interesting to think about...

Make sure ur background is clean and not distracting. Attention should be on you and only you.. don’t give them anything to judge you subconsciously for nor look at randomly when you’re answering questions

Weird but.. look at the camera so it looks like ur actually looking at them. Not the screen. Or it looks like you're reading off notes on the screen. I found this the most difficult part, consistently smiling at the black dot on the top of my labtop

Have a glass of water nearby.. realized that my throat dried up from just answering a few questions and started slurring my words.. That anxiety fight or flight response slow down that salivation. Even use this 3 second sip to think about the question. If u want to think about the question some more without saying give me a second please, say the zoom audio was bad, could you please say that again. Thank you

Do a mock with faculty and a friend via Zoom so they can point off random things u don’t realize you’re doing via Zoom

Zoom meetings feel so impersonal... hard to get them to relate to you. They are so tired from interviewing all day. So smile a lot, speak in an upbeat tone and try to liven up the mood. Thank them for inviting you

Try to have more of a conversation with them at the end when asking questions by adding to the answer they gave to your question and possibly humble brag about some qualities you weren’t able to speak about cuz they didn’t ask

In the end, I personally feel like the interviews are very based off of the person interviewing you, and with that said, GOODLUCK!

Reactions: 12 users

Make sure ur background is clean and not distracting. Attention should be on you and only you.. don’t give them anything to judge you subconsciously for nor look at randomly when you’re answering questions

Weird but.. look at the camera so it looks like ur actually looking at them. Not the screen. Or it looks like you're reading off notes on the screen. I found this the most difficult part, consistently smiling at the black dot on the top of my labtop

Have a glass of water nearby.. realized that my throat dried up from just answering a few questions and started slurring my words.. That anxiety fight or flight response slow down that salivation. Even use this 3 second sip to think about the question. If u want to think about the question some more without saying give me a second please, say the zoom audio was bad, could you please say that again. Thank you

Do a mock with faculty and a friend via Zoom so they can point off random things u don’t realize you’re doing via Zoom

Zoom meetings feel so impersonal... hard to get them to relate to you. They are so tired from interviewing all day. So smile a lot, speak in an upbeat tone and try to liven up the mood. Thank them for inviting you

Try to have more of a conversation with them at the end when asking questions by adding to the answer they gave to your question and possibly humble brag about some qualities you weren’t able to speak about cuz they didn’t ask

In the end, I personally feel like the interviews are very based off of the person interviewing you, and with that said, GOODLUCK!
So are the questions asked like too much ortho based or more of generic ones about our past experiences and journey?

Thank you so much for the advice and tips! they are very helpful! hopefully all goes well!

No I haven’t yet. Tbh it’s making me a little anxious. Did you also get a call?

I didn't get the email from her for a few days after the call, I definitely had the same feelings... I think it took 2 days before I got it? Don't worry, it's coming.

So are the questions asked like too much ortho based or more of generic ones about our past experiences and journey?

I think most places wouldn't expect you to answer Ortho treatment specific questions, unless they're trying to throw you off. They can't really expect you to know much, that's why you're applying to residency, but they might ask why you want to do Ortho.
Typically I would expect more questions relating to your resume and background experiences.

Looking to switch an October 22nd Stony Brook Interview if anyone has either of the other dates offered

I'm kinda starting to see the silver lining with these zoom interviews. Although I think it would be easier to make a good impression in person, with Zoom I was able to get two interviews scheduled on the same day with two different schools. We're also saving lots of money. But it be fun to go see the cities and the programs themselves in person.. So yeah, pros and cons I guess. Strange times.

I'm kinda starting to see the silver lining with these zoom interviews. Although I think it would be easier to make a good impression in person, with Zoom I was able to get two interviews scheduled on the same day with two different schools. We're also saving lots of money. But it be fun to go see the cities and the programs themselves in person.. So yeah, pros and cons I guess. Strange times.
And that is why there may be more post match interviews this year.

Reactions: 1 users

I also think schools' rank order list of interviewees will dip further down their list than previous years.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else interviewed at a school that had a "Written Questions Clinic" component and if so, what should I expect?

Is there anyone who is scheduled for NYU interview heard from them about detailed interview schedule?

I'm not so sure about that, because I know some schools are interviewing a lot more people this year than they have in previous years.

Has anyone heardback from Marquette?
B75BE5DF-53D4-432E-A3D8-DB50DFEBA7DD.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
For those with an interview with UOP- have you heard back from them with info about the social this weekend?

For those with an interview with UOP- have you heard back from them with info about the social this weekend?

I haven't heard anything, but I also haven't heard if they've sent a schedule about our actual interview day. Do you know if it's been sent out?

I haven't heard anything, but I also haven't heard if they've sent a schedule about our actual interview day. Do you know if it's been sent out?
I received my schedule yesterday with the zoom links.

Guys, any one heard from USC ? please keep us posted, thank you and good luck !!

Just cancelled my interviews at SLU, UDM, and Jacksonville. SLUs interview was this following Monday, so someone might get a call to fill it in aha

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone heard from case western, howard or washington hospital center?

School Interview Invites:
1. 6/18 Oklahoma (email) - 10/30 or 11/6
2. 8/3 Iowa (email) - 8/27 and 8/28 (Zoom interview) or 9/17 and 9/18 (Zoom interview)
3. 8/27 UNLV (email) - 9/21 (Zoom interview)
4. 9/2 MUSC (email) - 10/2 (WebEx interview)
5. 9/4 San Antonio (email) - 10/2, 10/14, 10/21 or 10/30 (Zoom interview)
6. 9/5 Loma Linda (email) - 10/5 and 10/6
7. 9/8 Boston University (email) - 10/19 - 10/16 (Zoom interview)
8. 9/9 Indiana University (email) - 10/1 or 10/2 (Zoom interview)
9. 9/9 University of British Columbia (email) - 10/31 (Zoom interview)
10. 9/9 Seton Hill (email) - Sept 24
11. 9/9 University of Pittsburgh (phone)-10/8 or 10/22
12. 9/11 University of Nebraska Medical Center (phone) - Oct 15, 16, and 19 (Zoom interview)
13. 9/11 University of Tennessee (email) - 10/9 or 10/12 TBD (Zoom interview)
14. 9/13 Oregon Health & Science University (email) - Oct 14 or 15 (WebEx interview)
15. 9/13 University of Washington (email) - Oct 12 interview with social Oct 11 (both Virtual)
16. 9/14 University of Buffalo ( email) , Oct 16 and 19, virtual interview
17. 9/14 University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill (phone,email) - 10/19 or 10/20 (virtual)
18. 9/14 University of Missouri at Kansas City (UMKC) (email) 10/19 (virtual)
19. 9/15 University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) (email) 10/22 or 10/23 (virtual)
20. 9/15 A.T. Still (ATSU)(email) 10/5 or 10/6 (Zoom interview), virtual social on 10/5
21. 9/16 Roseman University (phone and email) - 10/19, 10/20, and 10/21, virtual social on 10/21 all via Zoom
22. 9/16 University of Colorado (email) - 10/01, 10/02, and 10/05
23. 9/17 University of Michigan (phone) - 10/12 or 10/19 (virtual)
24. 9/18 University of Texas Houston (email) - 10/7 (social) and 10/8 OR 10/8 (social) and 10/9 (WebEx)
25. 9/18 St. Barnabas (email) - 10/14 (zoom), virtual social 10/12 or 10/13.
26. 9/21 VCU (email) - 10/22 (full day) and 10/23 (half day)
27. 9/21 LSU (email) -10/29 (full day) or 10/30 (full day) in-person.
28. 9/21 University of Maryland (UMSOD) (email) - 10/21 or 10/22 (virtual, 8am-1pm)
29. 9/22 Saint Louis University (email) - 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, or 10/15 (virtual half day with social night before)
30. 9/22 Nova Southeastern University (email) - 10/26, 10/22 (Zoom)
31. 9/22 Bronxcare - 10/7, 10/14, 10/15 (in person/Zoom)
32. 9/22 University of the Pacific (email)- 10/12 or 10/13 (zoom)
33. 9/22 Columbia University (email) - 10/19 or 10/20 or 10/27 (Zoom)
34. 9/23 Ohio State (email) - 10/12 or 10/13 (Zoom)
35. 9/24 UPenn (email) - 10/14 or 10/28 (virtual through BlueJeans, both AM and PM sessions)
36. 9/25 Texas A&M (phone) - 10/26 10/27 or 10/28 (zoom)
37. 9/28 UK (phone) - 10/29 or 10/30 (social on 10/28) - all via Zoom
38. 9/29 NYU (email) - 10/16 (zoom)
39. 9/29 UF (email) - 10/12 (zoom) 10/13 zoom
40. 9/29 Rutgers (email) - 10/16 or 10/19 (zoom)
41. Minnesota (email)-10/25 (social), 10/26 (Zoom interview)
42. 9/30 UCLA (email) - 10/18 (social), 10/19 PM or 10/20 AM (zoom)
43. 10/1 UCSF (email) - 10/28 or 10/29 (zoom)
44. 10/1 WVU (email) - 10/26 (zoom)
45. 10/2 UConn (email) - 10/22 or 10/23 Webex
46. 10/2 Detroit Mercy (email) - 11/5 or 11/6 (zoom)
47. 10/2 Jacksonville (email) - 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, social on 10/14 evening (online)
48. 10/2 Tufts (email) - 11/8 evening (info session) and 11/9 (zoom)
49. 10/2 UAB (email) - 10/8 or 10/9 (all via Zoom, with social night before)
50. 10/5 CWRU (email) - 10/28 and 10/29 via Zoom
51. 10/6 Rochester (email) - dates to follow via virtual
52. 10/6 Louisville
53. 10/6 Maimonides Medical (email) - 11/10 via virtual
54. 10/6 Temple (email) - Oct 26 or Nov 2 (zoom)
55. 10/7 Stony Brook (email) - Oct 29 (Zoom) and November 5th (zoom)
56. 10/10 Harvard (email) - 10/26 (Zoom social), 10/27 (Zoom interview)