**Official 2021 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssm38

Orthodontics Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PASS application has officially opened for the 2021 cycle. Let's use this thread to relay any information that we receive from ortho programs and ask questions.

Previous thread for reference: **Official 2020 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

School Interview Invites:
1. 6/18 Oklahoma (email) - 10/30 or 11/6
2. 8/3 Iowa (email) - 8/27 and 8/28 (Zoom interview) or 9/17 and 9/18 (Zoom interview)
3. 8/27 UNLV (email) - 9/21 (Zoom interview)
4. 9/2 MUSC (email) - 10/2 (WebEx interview)
5. 9/4 San Antonio (email) - 10/2, 10/14, 10/21 or 10/30 (Zoom interview)
6. 9/5 Loma Linda (email) - 10/5 and 10/6
7. 9/8 Boston University (email) - 10/19 - 10/16 (Zoom interview)
8. 9/9 Indiana University (email) - 10/1 or 10/2 (Zoom interview)
9. 9/9 University of British Columbia (email) - 10/31 (Zoom interview)
10. 9/9 Seton Hill (email) - Sept 24
11. 9/9 University of Pittsburgh (phone)-10/8 or 10/22
12. 9/11 University of Nebraska Medical Center (phone) - Oct 15, 16, and 19 (Zoom interview)
13. 9/11 University of Tennessee (email) - 10/9 or 10/12 TBD (Zoom interview)
14. 9/13 Oregon Health & Science University (email) - Oct 14 or 15 (WebEx interview)
15. 9/13 University of Washington (email) - Oct 12 interview with social Oct 11 (both Virtual)
16. 9/14 University of Buffalo ( email) , Oct 16 and 19, virtual interview
17. 9/14 University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill (phone,email) - 10/19 or 10/20 (virtual)
18. 9/14 University of Missouri at Kansas City (UMKC) (email) 10/19 (virtual)
19. 9/15 University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) (email) 10/22 or 10/23 (virtual)
20. 9/15 A.T. Still (ATSU)(email) 10/5 or 10/6 (Zoom interview), virtual social on 10/5
21. 9/16 Roseman University (phone and email) - 10/19, 10/20, and 10/21, virtual social on 10/21 all via Zoom
22. 9/16 University of Colorado (email) - 10/01, 10/02, and 10/05
23. 9/17 University of Michigan (phone) - 10/12 or 10/19 (virtual)
24. 9/18 University of Texas Houston (email) - 10/7 (social) and 10/8 OR 10/8 (social) and 10/9 (WebEx)
25. 9/18 St. Barnabas (email) - 10/14 (zoom), virtual social 10/12 or 10/13.
26. 9/21 VCU (email) - 10/22 (full day) and 10/23 (half day)
27. 9/21 LSU (email) -10/29 (full day) or 10/30 (full day) in-person.
28. 9/21 University of Maryland (UMSOD) (email) - 10/21 or 10/22 (virtual, 8am-1pm)
29. 9/22 Saint Louis University (email) - 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, or 10/15 (virtual half day with social night before)
30. 9/22 Nova Southeastern University (email) - 10/26, 10/22 (Zoom)
31. 9/22 Bronxcare - 10/7, 10/14, 10/15 (in person/Zoom)
32. 9/22 University of the Pacific (email)- 10/12 or 10/13 (zoom)
33. 9/22 Columbia University (email) - 10/19 or 10/20 or 10/27 (Zoom)
34. 9/23 Ohio State (email) - 10/12 or 10/13 (Zoom)
35. 9/24 UPenn (email) - 10/14 or 10/28 (virtual through BlueJeans, both AM and PM sessions)
36. 9/25 Texas A&M (phone) - 10/26 10/27 or 10/28 (zoom)
37. 9/28 UK (phone) - 10/29 or 10/30 (social on 10/28) - all via Zoom
38. 9/29 NYU (email) - 10/16 (zoom)
39. 9/29 UF (email) - 10/12 (zoom) 10/13 zoom
40. 9/29 Rutgers (email) - 10/16 or 10/19 (zoom)
41. 9/30 Minnesota (email)-10/25 (social), 10/26 (Zoom interview)
42. 9/30 UCLA (email) - 10/18 (social), 10/19 PM or 10/20 AM (zoom)
43. 10/1 UCSF (email) - 10/28 or 10/29 (zoom)
44. 10/1 WVU (email) - 10/26 (zoom)
45. 10/2 UConn (email) - 10/22 or 10/23 Webex
46. 10/2 Detroit Mercy (email) - 11/5 or 11/6 (zoom)
47. 10/2 Jacksonville (email) - 10/12, 10/13, 10/14, social on 10/14 evening (online)
48. 10/2 Tufts (email) - 11/8 evening (info session) and 11/9 (zoom)
49. 10/2 UAB (email) - 10/8 or 10/9 (all via Zoom, with social night before)
50. 10/5 CWRU (email) - 10/28 and 10/29 via Zoom
51. 10/6 Rochester (email) - dates to follow via virtual
52. 10/6 Louisville
53. 10/6 Maimonides Medical (email) - 11/10 via virtual
54. 10/6 Temple (email) - Oct 26 or Nov 2 (zoom)
55. 10/7 Stony Brook (email) - Oct 29 (Zoom) and November 5th (zoom)
56. 10/9 Washington Medstar (phone) - Oct 16 (Zoom social) and Oct 17th (zoom interview)
57. 10/10 Harvard (email) - 10/26 (Zoom social), 10/27 (Zoom interview)
58. 10/10 Marquette (email) - 10/19, 10/20 (Zoom social) & 10/27, 10/30 (Zoom interview)
59. 10/12 Montefiore (email) - 10/21 or 10/23 (Zoom interview)
60. 10/14 USC (email) - 11/2 (Zoom interview)
61. 10/20 Howard (email) - 11/5 (Zoom interview)

Additional Programs that have sent out invites (no info about invite dates and interview dates):
- Augusta
- Mayo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What is the required score for the GRE?

Sent from my SM-N975U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear, ideally in the 70th percentile but at minimum in the 50th.
From what I heard at least 150 in the verbal and a 151 in quantitative, with the essay a 3.5-4

Anyone know which schools aren't participating in match? im finding conflicting information.

Anyone applying to CTOR academy? They aren’t on the ADEA PASS search engine

Anyone applying to CTOR academy? They aren’t on the ADEA PASS search engine

This academy doesn´t appear on the ADA list of accredited Ortho programs.

Composite score or individual sections? How is a 322 (84 percentile composite)?
I assumed individual sections. If you look at the ETS percentile charts, you'd want these minimum scores (I put the associated percentiles in parenthesis): 151V (51%), 154QR (54%) and 4.0W (57%).

Ideal scores would be these scores or above: 156V (73%), 159QR (70%) and 4.5W (81%).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

Does anyone know the official character limit for the personal statement? The instructions on ADEA.org say to limit to 5200 characters, however I believe these are old instructions as they still refer to the old (pre-2019) format of "copy-and-pasting" your essay into a text box. Since this new system allows you to upload your personal statement as a PDF, can they actually restrict character count?

Thanks.
I have asked this question from ADEA and they stated there is no character limit for the personal statement unless the program that you are applying to has any instructions in regard to your personal statement .

This academy doesn´t appear on the ADA list of accredited Ortho programs.
I believe they still get applicants and people actually pay the $70,000 per year to go to an unaccredited program

I believe they still get applicants and people actually pay the $70,000 per year to go to an unaccredited program
Oh wow can you imagine paying that much and not being able to get licensed afterwards

What is the ideal date to submit your application to PASS by? I remember with applying to dental school it was best to apply as soon as possible

What is the ideal date to submit your application to PASS by? I remember with applying to dental school it was best to apply as soon as possible
Depending on programs but based on what I have heard from some program directors, earlier you submit it the better it is :)
I know there are programs that dont look at applications till they pass the deadline. I would submit my application as soon as possible though :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ortho programs send out their interview invites AFTER the application deadline. There may be a few that send out a few invites before the deadlines, but it's not that common. As long as your personal statement is excellent, it wouldn't hurt to submit it earlier. However, I wouldn't submit until EVERYTHING on the application has been reviewed thoroughly because once it's submitted to even one program, you can't really edit your application anymore. That was my experience a few years back, but it has changed now.

Hi, I would like to get more information about ADAT. Most of the programs mention they "don't require" it, but they "accept" it. Wouldn't part I and II be adequate? Please let me know.

Hi, I would like to get more information about ADAT. Most of the programs mention they "don't require" it, but they "accept" it. Wouldn't part I and II be adequate? Please let me know.

Programs don't need the ADAT. It's optional currently.

Thank you very much for your responses. How much would taking ADAT affect the university permission?

Does anyone know if there are any unfilled positions for post match 2020?

If anyone is interested, the Georgia school of orthodontics is accepting applications for Starting THIS YEAR until July 3rd. If anyone wants to get in a program THIS YEAR you can!

Oof, seems like nobody wanted to go there lol.
I wonder why. Oh, that’s right! Tuition alone is $300,000. Tack on at least another $100,000 for living expenses and accrued interest on your existing loans, and this program easily will run you $500,000+. This place is preying on people’s desperation to get into ortho.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder why. Oh, that’s right! Tuition alone is $300,000. Tack on at least another $100,000 for living expenses and accrued interest on your existing loans, and this program easily will run you $500,000+. This place is preying on people’s desperation to get into ortho.

Big Hoss
It's still maybe a bit cheaper than the USC ortho program

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just out of curiosity, do programs actually have access to information to find out whether you have applied to non-match programs? Or it is more of a matter of ethics and integrity rather than checking against the information they have access to?

Hey guys, just a heads up I heard NYU Langone Orthodontics closed this year

They are finishing the last year of residents, and closing June 2021, but incoming residents that were supposed to start this July were sol

Last edited:
They are finishing the last year of residents, and closing June 2021, but incoming residents that were supposed to start this July were sol
Dang. Must’ve been a recent development I guess. The program contact emailed me back about a question just a few weeks ago and never mentioned anything.

I guess those incoming residents could apply for the post match spots in the Georgia program then?

I guess those incoming residents could apply for the post match spots in the Georgia program then?
I don’t think anyone is gonna trade a 2 year paid residency for a 3 year 300k+ residency.

Dang. Must’ve been a recent development I guess. The program contact emailed me back about a question just a few weeks ago and never mentioned anything.
I applied last year but didnt make the final cut. However I was contacted by them mid March, right before COVID started shutting places down. They said there might be an open spot and wanted to know if I was still available. Haven't heard anything since. Maybe someone was looking out for me...I could have made irreversible choices like quitting my job and selling my house by now. :( Hopefully they worked with other NY programs and they adopted the new residents.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's what happened to me as well. I was offered an acceptance to a nonmatch program. I accepted the offer and withdrew from the match. And then 2 months later, I received the notice from the program that it would be closed permanently....and they refunded me my deposit money. I had to do a year of GPR and reapplied for ortho the following year.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
That's what happened to me as well. I was offered an acceptance to a nonmatch program. I accepted the offer and withdrew from the match. And then 2 months later, I received the notice from the program that it would be closed permanently....and they refunded me my deposit money. I had to do a year of GPR and reapplied for ortho the following year.

Just WOW!
Maybe there is something to be said about applying to Match only programs. I know Match holds the applicants responsible for following through with the match results...they likely do the same with the programs. Kind of like choosing banks that are FDIC insured to hold your money.
This really put things in perspective for me. Thanks charlestweed.

Any program that is three years and makes you get an MS degree is prob more research heavy

Just WOW!
Maybe there is something to be said about applying to Match only programs. I know Match holds the applicants responsible for following through with the match results...they likely do the same with the programs. Kind of like choosing banks that are FDIC insured to hold your money.
This really put things in perspective for me. Thanks charlestweed.
Even if this program participated in the match, I don't think my acceptance spot would have been secured either. You probably heard about the closure of Northwestern dental school in the late 90s. Northwestern accepted 3 people in my class: 2 (myself and another classmate of mine) for ortho and 1 for perio. The classmate, who got accepted to ortho with me, fought hard and he found a program that was willing to adopt him as an extra resident.....it's UIC, another program in Chicago. The classmate, who got accepted to perio, also found a spot at another program, UCSF perio. I was too timid to ask other programs to help me. I reapplied the following year and got accepted to another 24-month nonmatch program, that charged me $13k/year in tuition (vs Northwestern's $25k/year tuition).

Last edited:
Hey past/current applicants, anyone know of any programs that require your undergrad transcripts to be sent in? And what about DAT scores?

If you are talking about Bronxcare, then they emailed me this morning and said the only thing to send in is supplemental app, fee, and have ada email NDBE scores to them. DAT and transcripts are either not needed or done through the PASS application.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I saw this thread (DAT scores and dental specialty), and was just wondering if there were any ortho programs that wanted DAT scores or transcripts. So they might through PASS?

Speaking of undergrad transcripts, does anyone know if undergraduate grades affect our chances at acceptance into orthodontic residencies?

Speaking of undergrad transcripts, does anyone know if undergraduate grades affect our chances at acceptance into orthodontic residencies?
I was wondering the same thing when I realized that most programs require your undergraduate transcripts. I did a little digging and it looks like it is one of the lower valued parameters by program directors when extending interviews and then again when ranking applicants according to a study done over a decade ago. It's my hope that our achievements throughout dental school outweigh any misdirection we may have had 5+ years ago - I did the bare minimum to get into dental school, but have since taken full advantage of the opportunities afforded me. If it's any consolation, I've heard the only time undergraduate transcripts really come into play are for 6-year OMFS residencies where the medical school may have stipulations regarding resident GPAs for pursuing the MD in addition to the certificate.

Has anyone found information on whether orthodontic residency interviews will be virtual? I heard most endo residency and medical residency interviews will be online. Will this affect how many programs each person will apply to?

I can't speak for all schools, but some of the orthodontic residency programs did state that their interviews would be virtual on their websites. I heard it could be beneficial for us as it would lower travel costs and we'd be able to avoid certain challenges (ie, wire-bending) that some schools typically brought up in order to see how we'd fare.
True, but you always won’t be able to see the clinics, talk to residents, see how clinic flows, etc...

Hi there! Does anyone know if we are notified if we are rejected from a school? Or do we only hear back if we get an interview?

Did anyone apply to UCLA? Does the institutional evaluation count as a PEF? From their website it sounds like they want 5 LORs.

Any Canadian applicants here? Has anyone had any luck with taking the ADAT in Ontario? My exam keeps getting cancelled/rescheduled, and no one is able to tell me if the exam is actually being held or not.

Last edited: