*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what I did

Name of Award: Deans List 2009-2011

Organization: My college

Month/year recieved: Dec 2009 (the first time)

I hope they see I got it mult times

Yup, that's basically what I did as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question on how I should enter experience.

I have been working for a physician as a medical assistant for about 10 years.
1. I have direct contact with patients everyday of the week.
2. I work with the physician closely everyday "shadow"

How do I enter this? Do I put it under direct contact or shadowing? It ends up being somewhere in the range of 15k hours. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were paid, it goes under work experience.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I'm pretty sure if you change grades it has to be re-verified, I could be wrong though

That's correct. But if you make other changes they can simply send out an update.

This sounds stupid, but how do they know which sections I've changed?

I'd like to edit a sentence in my activities description but I'm wondering if this would prompt them to check/verify other sections as well...

I forgot to add shadowing on my application that I have already turned in a few days ago!! D: D:!!

Please tell me it's not too late :'(

how do i fix this?

I forgot to add shadowing on my application that I have already turned in a few days ago!! D: D:!!

Please tell me it's not too late :'(

how do i fix this?

Call 301-968-4190 and ask them but I am pretty sure you can send them a message and they will update it.

"If you saved what you added, the updated data will be sent to the schools and you can view it after the schools receive it.

Thank you."

:thumbup:

Sorry in advance if this is posted somewhere….if I'm retaking the MCAT is there a spot where I indicate that or do I have to call the schools I'm interested in?

Are there really such things as descriptions for each course entry? I was not aware...

Also, I filled in the coursework, and it automatically calculated my sci, cum and all other gpa. Can I be assured that this gpa is same as what med schools will see?

Sorry in advance if this is posted somewhere….if I’m retaking the MCAT is there a spot where I indicate that or do I have to call the schools I’m interested in?

you can mention on your primary that you have a "planned" mcat ahead. read AACOMAS app. instructions about this

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there really such things as descriptions for each course entry? I was not aware...

Also, I filled in the coursework, and it automatically calculated my sci, cum and all other gpa. Can I be assured that this gpa is same as what med schools will see?

schools will see your verified GPA

Oh another mistake. I forgot to include "+lab" for physics II in the description. The reason why I wrote that for other courses with lab is because course unit was worth only 3 and not 4. Should I ask AACOMAS to change the description for me, or is it obvious to adcoms?

what description? there is no such option in the course work section

Nope.

Does individual GPA matter? For example my "Inorganic Chemistry" GPA is a 3.86, but my "Biology/Zoology" is only a 3.30.

i didn't know GPA is divided for each subject. i thought there is only science, nonscience, and cum. GPA

So usually how much does the calculated gpa on AACOMAS differ from the verified gpa?

what description? there is no such option in the course work section

Should've clarified. I meant the box where you write the name of the course. The course name only says Organic Chem I, so I would have to include "+lab"...except I forgot to do that for one of the pre-reqs.

Hi Everyone!
Quick question. Should I put the contact info for all my experiences like research and volunteer? They didn't give you space for it.
And should I put in the abstracts that were presented in a conference when I was in High School? Or is that too long ago?

Thank you!!!

Hi Everyone!
Quick question. Should I put the contact info for all my experiences like research and volunteer? They didn't give you space for it.
And should I put in the abstracts that were presented in a conference when I was in High School? Or is that too long ago?

Thank you!!!

Nope to both

Should've clarified. I meant the box where you write the name of the course. The course name only says Organic Chem I, so I would have to include "+lab"...except I forgot to do that for one of the pre-reqs.

Write it exactly as on transcript, I think

So usually how much does the calculated gpa on AACOMAS differ from the verified gpa?

it shouldn't differ at all if you input everything accurately. If you make mistakes- ex: marking a course as a science course when AACOMAS doesn't consider it to be a 'science' course, put the wrong grade, add retake grades which AACOMAS doesn't accept, etc- then your GPA will change upon verification. Verification process is exactly what the name implies; they are verifying that everything you put in the course work section matches up with your official transcript and AACOMAS rules.

THIS. if it doesn't say "+lab" on your official transcript, then dont write it that way on your app.

Ah, too late. It was already verified with +lab, except for that one dang course I forgot. My reasoning is that none of my +lab courses are worth 4 units-- only 3, so schools will question regarding the 2 unit deficit. Since I wrote "+lab" they wouldn't get confused...hopefully :laugh:

Not sure if this has been asked already, but I am retaking a class online through UNECOM, and want to submit my application before I complete that class. However, under AACOMAS it says that 2 out of 3 of my transcripts are in, while the third from UNECOM is still pending although I have put the class as in progress/planned. I plan on submitting within the next couple of days, so do I just completely delete this planned class or will it let me submit without first receiving this transcript?

Are most of your activity descriptions for AACOMAS just describing duties or are you pretty detailed and introspective in them? Should I save the introspection for the secondaries? What do you guys think?

Not sure if this has been asked already, but I am retaking a class online through UNECOM, and want to submit my application before I complete that class. However, under AACOMAS it says that 2 out of 3 of my transcripts are in, while the third from UNECOM is still pending although I have put the class as in progress/planned. I plan on submitting within the next couple of days, so do I just completely delete this planned class or will it let me submit without first receiving this transcript?

If it's a 'spring' course, AACOMAS won't process it until they receive your spring transcript. It's apparently one of their rules.

It's not a spring course, it's go at your own pace and I started it beginning of June, so I labeled it as a summer class.

Mine were pretty straight forward and I kept it to my roles and duties.

It's not a spring course, it's go at your own pace and I started it beginning of June, so I labeled it as a summer class.

If it's a summer course, I don't see why they're still waiting for your transcript. Email them and they'll probably start processing. Same thing happened to me (the whole spring/summer issue), and once it was cleared up I was processed.

You can make changes up to the point you are verified...and it wont affect your "place in line"

:thumbup:

I was going to ask this today haha. My application is still being processed so I guess I am okay to make changes to my EC.

This sounds stupid, but how do they know which sections I've changed?

I'd like to edit a sentence in my activities description but I'm wondering if this would prompt them to check/verify other sections as well...
You could wait for them, but when I updated I just called and let them know, so that way they would get on it.

Quick question: How does MCAT score uploading work? I thought I took care of it but my application has no MCAT scores and is still "processing." Can it be verified without MCAT? How do I upload my scores?

Mine were very straight forward and to the point (ie. I volunteered here from X to Y. Some of my duties and responsibilities were A, B, C, and D."

Quick question: How does MCAT score uploading work? I thought I took care of it but my application has no MCAT scores and is still "processing." Can it be verified without MCAT? How do I upload my scores?

I just realized yesterday on the AACOMAS main page that they had not yet received my MCAT scores yet my application was verified and sent to schools. I noticed it when I downloaded the PDF of my application to schools and noticed the MCAT score section was blank. I wonder i schools will still send me a secondary or wait until they have a copy of my app with MCAT scores?

I went to the AMCAS MCAT website and logged in (where you see your scores) and then you have the option to send your scores to AACOMAS.

I talked to AACOMAS and they said it should take about 3 business days for them to get the scores from AMCAS then they will re-send my app with my MCAT scores the next delivery period.

I hope I can make the next release period! I can't believe I didn't notice they hadn't gotten my MCAT scores...

A few questions about sending transcripts to AACOMAS.

Is the process the same as the AMCAS where the transcripts can be sent after you make an application, and then you submit the application once they are received for verification?

Also, I took a few college courses in High School. These have to be listed in the AMCAS, but wondering if I just ignore them for the AACOMAS considering there is nothing lower than an "undergraduate" level entry.

Call the HS classes undergraduate. Make sure they are on your transcripts.

I don't understand your first question. You can submit AACOMAS without your transcripts, but nothing can be done until you submit (pay the money) and the transcripts are in. At that time you enter the que for verification, just like AMCAS. It usually takes just about the same amount of time.

Last year I submitted to both AMCAS and AACOMAS in early July. Both were verified about the same time in early August, within a week of each other.

hth
dsoz

hold on WHAT? We can submit WITHOUT transcripts (to be verified)??? I thought that was just for LORs.

hold on WHAT? We can submit WITHOUT transcripts (to be verified)??? I thought that was just for LORs.

You can submit without transcripts, but they won't verify you until they receive them.

But will they at least start the process?
My school just sent my transcripts today so it should take 3-5 days to get there. Would it be worth it submit now, to get it started...? If I'm understanding this correctly that would save about a week, maybe 2.

But will they at least start the process?
My school just sent my transcripts today so it should take 3-5 days to get there. Would it be worth it submit now, to get it started...? If I'm understanding this correctly that would save about a week, maybe 2.

I don't know if they start or not. However, I submitted my AACOMAS on day 1 (about 7 hours after they opened) with only one of two transcripts received. They received my final transcript 3-4 days later (can't remember) at about 10am and I was verified by 1pm. So perhaps they reviewed one transcript and made a note, then checked the second one when it arrived.

If you've got everything else complete and you're happy with your essay/descriptions of ECs, you should just submit it now. It can't hurt.

What exactly can you edit after submission? Will it delay your application to make edits?