*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question: I have not taken my MCAT yet (scheduled for July 26th). Should I go ahead and submit my AACOMAS application ASAP, or should I dedicate my time to the MCAT and then work on my application after I take it? Please advise, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question: I have not taken my MCAT yet (scheduled for July 26th). Should I go ahead and submit my AACOMAS application ASAP, or should I dedicate my time to the MCAT and then work on my application after I take it? Please advise, thank you!

I say submit

I say submit
Could you please explain why? Not trying to be rude or anything, I've just been told different things - some have told me to worry about my MCAT, while others say it's better to submit early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please explain why? Not trying to be rude or anything, I've just been told different things - some have told me to worry about my MCAT, while others say it's better to submit early.

I'm in a similar situation, and I think that submitting now is best (if you don't have to spend hours working on your app). That way, everything is ready to go when your scores come back. You can study while they're "verifying" you.

Hey I'm filling out the descriptions for the AACOMAS, Do you guys have any advise/ tips on the way we should describe our Extra Curricular activities? In what way should we approach every description? Is their a specific way

e.g. Name of Organization: The Super Duper Health Club

Description: Should I approach this in a Leadership way?, what I did way? What it is?

Hey I'm filling out the descriptions for the AACOMAS, Do you guys have any advise/ tips on the way we should describe our Extra Curricular activities? In what way should we approach every description? Is their a specific way

Description: Should I approach this in a Leadership way?, what I did way? What it is?

I know most people, myself included, usually just write out what it is, what they did, and any responsibilities or duties. You obviously don't get a ton of characters for the description plus you want to make sure you leave yourself material to write about in your PS or secondaries without being redundant. Hope that helps.

Advice/advise is apparently a big pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, just describe what your responsibilities are. It's not that big of a deal.

Yeah my school reports percentages and letter grades, but I think im just overthinking it.. hah

I hope so. I wish DO philosophy can be more internationally embraced and actually be more legit.

Here's an example of a description from my application:

Animal Shelter Volunteer
My volunteer work at the shelter involves direct handling of the dogs, cats, and rabbits. provide the animals valuable out of cage time and assist with socializing the animals to improve behavior and increase the chances for a successful adoption. I have also participated in several off-site events where shelter animals are taken to public settings such as pet stores, home and garden shows, etc.

Probably could have been a little more succinct but I did get accepted. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
e.g. Description:

The American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors—across the street, across the country, and across the world—in emergencies. Each year, in communities large and small, victims of some 70,000 disasters turn to neighbors familiar and new—the more than half a million volunteers and 35,000 employees of the Red Cross. An average of more than 9 million people a year receive Red Cross training in first aid, water safety and other skills that help save lives. and after this I write what I did...

Skip the stuff above. The adcoms don't want to know what the Red Cross does. They know that. They only care about what you did.

The American Red Cross is where people mobilize to help their neighbors—across the street, across the country, and across the world—in emergencies. Each year, in communities large and small, victims of some 70,000 disasters turn to neighbors familiar and new—the more than half a million volunteers and 35,000 employees of the Red Cross. An average of more than 9 million people a year receive Red Cross training in first aid, water safety and other skills that help save lives. and after this I write what I did...

Do they or would they flag this?

I already lost interest by the second sentence. Put what you did, while making it both concise and informative.

I have a question about the fee waiver. I submitted my fee waiver application at the end of May and have been struggling to get approved! AACOMAS hasn't received my documents and they requested an IRS form for proof that I didn't file for taxes last year (which I submitted 10+ days ago, and they still haven't received it. WHAT!). The whole process has been time consuming -- while my completed application has been sitting there for 3 weeks!

I've communicated with them and they said they don't have very many fee waivers left. But if I re-submit my FAFSA SAR from 2011-2012 or my IRS non-filing tax form, and I qualify, they will send over my information to the DO schools for consideration in their secondary waivers. So my question is: Is it worth waiting another week for this whole process to work out? Or should I just submit my primaries and wait for possible secondary waiver approval?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a question about the fee waiver. I submitted my fee waiver application at the end of May and have been struggling to get approved! AACOMAS hasn't received my documents and they requested an IRS form for proof that I didn't file for taxes last year (which I submitted 10+ days ago, and they still haven't received it. WHAT!). The whole process has been time consuming -- while my completed application has been sitting there for 3 weeks!

I've communicated with them and they said they don't have very many fee waivers left. But if I re-submit my FAFSA SAR from 2011-2012 or my IRS non-filing tax form, and I qualify, they will send over my information to the DO schools for consideration in their secondary waivers. So my question is: Is it worth waiting another week for this whole process to work out? Or should I just submit my primaries and wait for possible secondary waiver approval?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ok my understanding is that if you send in your primary before they approve then it can't be applied to your primary, BUT it can still be applied to your secondaries if you would have been approved. If you aren't seriously strapped for cash I would apply now and hope to get most secondaries waived if you are approved but a least that way your app is out there now instead of waiting around another week or two. Just my thoughts

Question about entering work experience: I've tutored through a number of different programs throughout the past few years, and was wondering if I should group them all together or list them as separate entries. For my AMCAS app I listed them as one activity (labeled "tutoring") and mentioned each individual experience in the description, since there was an entry limit. However, I am not sure whether to do the same for AACOMAS (or if it really makes a difference either way). Any feedback would be appreciated.

Question about entering work experience: I've tutored through a number of different programs throughout the past few years, and was wondering if I should group them all together or list them as separate entries. For my AMCAS app I listed them as one activity (labeled "tutoring") and mentioned each individual experience in the description, since there was an entry limit. However, I am not sure whether to do the same for AACOMAS (or if it really makes a difference either way). Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've heard of people doing it both ways. One advantage to grouping is that it gives you more opportunity to expand on them in secondaries. It's up to you but either way is fine.

Sorry about reposting this only a day after the original, but I really need to submit my application tomorrow.

In the EC section, I've listed my position as VP of our pre-med SOMA chapter. In creating the description, I began with the goals of our chapter... Should I just focus on my responsibilities, and significant things that were done when I was VP, or is it fine to leave the goals at the start? I mean, they can just go to the pre-soma website for our chapter and check the goals of our organization (although I doubt they would)... Thank you!

EDIT: I guess what i'm concerned about, is that with all the information I put into my EC's, it's just too dry. I've read about people saying not to put all of your duties as an ER volunteer, like restocking, cleaning, yadda yadda, but isn't that what it's asking for? The real experiences that made you or reinforced your decision to become a physician should be only in your personal statement, RIGHT?

EDIT2: What sort of awards are they asking for? On my transcripts it states that I was on the deans list for a few quarters, should I put that down, because they will already see that on my transcripts and all.

Last edited:
Is anyone who is currently applying, also taking advantage of grade replacement via courses that you will be completing during the summer semester? If so, will schools consider that or only look at the GPA initially given in June?

Thanks!

Thanks dudeliness! I decided to re-send my SAR form through expedited shipping - it'll get there tomorrow. Hopefully, since I've been communicating with them regarding the fee waiver, they'd be able to push it through.

Has anyone heard if they ran out of fee waivers?

BUMP** Would be great if someone could answer my question!

i had asked similar questions and each time was told that there is no right or wrong way to fill the EC section. Definitely put your responsibilities and other then that just put what you would like them to know.

Agree with angldrps. Also most of us put the deans list awards in the awards section. One entry for all semesters. ie "Dean's list 4 semesters" with the date for the first semester awarded or something like that.

hello, I got verified last Thursday the 28 and it says release dates will appear next to schools. Well mine still say Receipt, and it's been over a week, what does it mean?

hello, I got verified last Thursday the 28 and it says release dates will appear next to schools. Well mine still say Receipt, and it's been over a week, what does it mean?

Yupp don't worry, mine took about a week and a half before I saw release dates. Totally normal.

I just saw that my app was released to schools so I looked at it and somehow my gpa has gone down from one year to the next even though there hasn't been any changes to my grades. Has this happened to anyone? I'm wondering if they changed the way they do calculations this year? I'm slightly panicking...

For those of you who changed something on your primary app after it was submitted and verified, did you just hit save or did you have to resubmit it? Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

So I'm completing the course work section. I go to a school that is on the quarter system. I sent my transcripts to AACOMAS before all my spring grades were in to ensure it got there on time. On the course work section, should I just indicate spring 2012 as "in progess" and send updated transcripts with my secondaries or should I just type in my grades (which they don't have) and send them updated transcripts with my secondaries? Thanks.

For those of you who changed something on your primary app after it was submitted and verified, did you just hit save or did you have to resubmit it? Sorry if this has been answered already, but I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Make your changes and be sure to hit "Save". You don't resubmit it.

Edit: I misread and didn't realize you meant making changes after being verified. In that case, I'm not sure. I know you don't have to resubmit if you're making changes before being verified.

Do you get an eMail when you're verified?

Yes, you will receive an email notifying you that you've been verified.

So I'm completing the course work section. I go to a school that is on the quarter system. I sent my transcripts to AACOMAS before all my spring grades were in to ensure it got there on time. On the course work section, should I just indicate spring 2012 as "in progess" and send updated transcripts with my secondaries or should I just type in my grades (which they don't have) and send them updated transcripts with my secondaries? Thanks.

From my understanding, enter all COMPLETED coursework with a grade. Enter all CURRENT or PLANNED coursework as planned and send your updated transcripts to AACOMAS when you finish the courses. They will update your already verified app and forward the update to all the schools you applied to. This is the quickest and easiest way.

I need input on a sentence in one of my activities. I wrote, "I observed routine laboratory procedures, including complete blood counts and urinalyses." Then someone pointed out that I should re-word it so that I don't have to use the plural version of "urinalysis." The original sentence seems fine to me. But might I be wrong? This process is making me neurotic.

Last edited:
I need input on a sentence in one of my activities. I wrote, "I observed routine laboratory procedures, including complete blood counts and urinalyses." Then someone pointed out that I should re-word it so that I don't have to use the plural version of "urinalysis." The original sentence seems fine to me. But might I be wrong? This process is making me neurotic.

its fine since they probably won't care about this detail,

but as a personal pref, I would make them both singular...(now you have another option! ;) )

It's ok except the highlighted should be urinalysis...

On my transcript, I took a class in summer 2005 during high school and get it exempted because I spoke with them after I actually joined their college and took a higher course. After putting it into the AACOMAS transcript section, I noticed it's affecting my GPA, and I can't find a classification so that the grade doesn't affect the GPA, any suggestions?

On my transcript, I took a class in summer 2005 during high school and get it exempted because I spoke with them after I actually joined their college and took a higher course. After putting it into the AACOMAS transcript section, I noticed it's affecting my GPA, and I can't find a classification so that the grade doesn't affect the GPA, any suggestions?

AACOMAS only cares about how it appears on your transcript. If you had some special arrangement with your undergrad, you'll have to try and make the same special arrangement with AACOMAS (or just enter it exactly how it appears on your transcript).

Nah urinalyses is correct, since she said blood countS. It's plural.

Keep your original sentence, Tribeca.

Thanks! I'm keeping my original sentence. Guess I just needed someone to agree with me. ;). Another q, I did independent undergraduate research. Which is better to put under Position Title: "Undergraduate Researcher" or "Undergraduate Research Student"? I received credit for the research.

Thanks! I'm keeping my original sentence. Guess I just needed someone to agree with me. ;). Another q, I did independent undergraduate research. Which is better to put under Position Title: "Undergraduate Researcher" or "Undergraduate Research Student"? I received credit for the research.

It's just the title so it really doesn't matter, but I'd put "Undergraduate Research Student". It just sounds more complete.

It's just the title so it really doesn't matter, but I'd put "Undergraduate Research Student". It just sounds more complete.

oops..i did undergrad research as well, but put research assistant as position title. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone but as the position title indicates thats exactly what i did..assisted with research.hope its not a big deal

oops..i did undergrad research as well, but put research assistant as position title. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone but as the position title indicates thats exactly what i did..assisted with research.hope its not a big deal

Nope, that's fine too. They're going to read your description anyway, which hopefully has what your responsibilities were to the project which is all that matters, not what your official title was. ;)

Nah urinalyses is correct, since she said blood countS. It's plural.

Keep your original sentence, Tribeca.

I just thought about this - How about "urinalysis tests?" Or is that redundant because a urinalysis is a (series of) urine tests?

Ha! I was hired by some finance and economics professors to compile a database to help them in their research. I listed it as a research assistant position even though I wasn't involved in the research in any other way but the database, simply because thats what I was, a research assistant.

I just thought about this - How about "urinalysis tests?" Or is that redundant because a urinalysis is a (series of) urine tests?

Hah, that does sound redundant. It's like saying "MCAT exam", which nobody does.

I'd still use urinalyses. It's the appropriate plural form of urinalysis.

Hah, that does sound redundant. It's like saying "MCAT exam", which nobody does.

I'd still use urinalyses. It's the appropriate plural form of urinalysis.

How about, "I observed routine laboratory procedures, such as THE urinalysis and complete blood counts"?

How about, "I observed routine laboratory procedures, such as THE urinalysis and complete blood counts"?

Wouldn't work. It would still have to be plural since procedures is plural.

I'm seriously hoping your entire application isn't being held up by this problem... ha. There's nothing wrong with saying urinalyses.