*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2012-2013 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TurkandJD

One Dream
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt see any AACOMAS threads, so lets have one since the apps opened today.

I have been doing AMCAS for the past few days and started this app today. AACOMAS is so much simpler and user friendly. Stupid AMCAS!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question: do I have to wait until June 1 to Pay and Submit? Or can I do that anytime now since the app is open?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you have to wait until June 1st to submit your aacomas.

The lowest level of educational attainment listed on AACOMAS is high school diploma/GED, but what if my parents don't even have that? Is there any way to indicate that on the application? My parents immigrated from a foreign country where they didn't have the chance to finish high school, just in case anyone was wondering.

Should I list it under "Other" or should I just put "High School/GED"? And then maybe talk about it for a bit in the personal statement? Unlike AMCAS, there is no field to explain disadvantaged status on AACOMAS, so I can't really explain it anywhere else, it seems.

Yeah....same situation. Not quite sure what to put. My mom didn't finish high school....

But we can send in our transcripts before June 1st, right?

Yeah. So if you have an updated transcript with your Spring grades already... you can tell your school to send a copy to AACOMAS (it has to come straight from your university's registrar's office). Once AACOMAS receives it, you'll get a little green check next to the checklist on the front page of your AACOMAS. You can do this before June.

If there isn't a category that fits then I would choose "Other"

Who's done? I worked on mine last year hoping I could roll everything over and well it worked. Now I just have to wait for my transcripts to trickle in.
3- undergrads
2- community colleges
1- graduate school

I wish all of my schools submitted transcripts through email but only one will email an official copy to ACCOMAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of entering my coursework for the AACOMAS application and I was just wondering..what is Research under? I got graded units for doing research with my school...What type of subject is that under? Bio/Zoology? It's under the Bio Sci category at my school.....

Thank you!

Hey guys, quick question; for Awards/Scholarships/Grants how would you enter dean's list? Just put the years? like, "Dean's List 2009-2011" ?

Also, would you put in nominations?

Hey guys, quick question; for Awards/Scholarships/Grants how would you enter dean's list? Just put the years? like, "Dean's List 2009-2011" ?

I lumped deans list together, didn't have any nominations

How much impact do the descriptions of our EC's have? Is it significant enough to spend a lot of time polishing it and writing something very well made?

If I got payed for being a TA, would you guys recommend that going into Employment history or EC?

k. thank you. Also what would you put for seminar courses? Other science or bio? It's titled Global Sustainability...

whatever department the seminar falls under should be fine
if i had a neuro seminar i would mark it as other science as well - if yours is bio seminar - mark bio

thank you! this process is so overwhelming.. but are any of you guys taking classes for Spring 2012? Is it true that we can't send our transcripts before our grades for that quarter is done and shown on transcript?? I've been seeing elsewhere on these threads that we can send it in first without the grades... just to speed up the process...

thank you! this process is so overwhelming.. but are any of you guys taking classes for Spring 2012? Is it true that we can't send our transcripts before our grades for that quarter is done and shown on transcript?? I've been seeing elsewhere on these threads that we can send it in first without the grades... just to speed up the process...

You can send in your transcript but it would be pointless - you should rather wait till spring, since you'll have to send again or update it. I'm just going to wait till all my grades are complete for Spring because besides we can't submit AACOMAS till June - so no need to rush - take it slow

For the subject, just put Dean's List... then for the description, list the semesters, like "Dean's List awarded for Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010 semesters"

Leave nominations out.

How much impact do the descriptions of our EC's have? Is it significant enough to spend a lot of time polishing it and writing something very well made?

The descriptions should be concise, yet detailed so the reader knows what you did, and what your responsibilities were. So yes, spend some time making sure your grammar and punctuation is all correct so you don't sound like a *****. Polish it up so it's concise (don't make it multiple paragraphs long... bullet points and spaces are often used for descriptions).

If I got payed for being a TA, would you guys recommend that going into Employment history or EC?

Employment.

AACOMAS is so easy to use compared to TMDSAS:thumbdown:

Completely agree.... TMDSAS is beyond annoying.

I did a search on this website and although I found the answers on a dental thread, I couldn't find it addressed for AACOMAS...
I have quite a few split letter grades. AB and yes, horrors, a BC.
Although I have read the app instructions, it's not becoming clear in my befuddled head. How do I convert that to the AACOMAS grade???

Thanks, I think I'm just fried at this point. Can't figure out the obvious. :confused:

Welcome to the 2012-2013 application season! Please post your AACOMAS questions here.

The lowest level of educational attainment listed on AACOMAS is high school diploma/GED, but what if my parents don't even have that? Is there any way to indicate that on the application? My parents immigrated from a foreign country where they didn't have the chance to finish high school, just in case anyone was wondering.

If I was able to leave it blank, I did. After inputting my grades, I can't remember what I did before. I do remember being shocked that "some high school" wasn't an option. My dad didn't graduate either.

the space which they provided to write description about ECs etc ~ 750 characters, that seems a lot. How long do you guys write, bullet format/pointers or in paragraph form. Thanks

Last edited:
Also, in med school section they included 3 new osteopathic school:

Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN Deadline: 03/01/13 Midnight EST
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, AB Deadline: 03/01/13 Midnight EST
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC

but where do we get more info abt them ... I have been to their website but they dont say any admission requirement. Anyone like to chime in?

Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IN Deadline: 03/01/13 Midnight EST

but where do we get more info abt them ... I have been to their website but they dont say any admission requirement. Anyone like to chime in?

Gonna be hard. Campbell can't "recruit" candidates until July 1st.

Anyone know how we figure out our legal residence? I left my home state (state A) 4.5 years ago to attend undergrad at a private school in state B. Technically, I suppose I was here for undergrad, so I probably wouldn't qualify for in-state tuition in state B. However, since I am married and to someone I met here (who is from state C) and have a child who was born here in state B, it seems rather silly to put my parents' address in state A. Does it even matter, since I am not even planning on applying to any state-sponsored DO schools?

Anyone know how we figure out our legal residence? I left my home state (state A) 4.5 years ago to attend undergrad at a private school in state B. Technically, I suppose I was here for undergrad, so I probably wouldn't qualify for in-state tuition in state B. However, since I am married and to someone I met here (who is from state C) and have a child who was born here in state B, it seems rather silly to put my parents' address in state A. Does it even matter, since I am not even planning on applying to any state-sponsored DO schools?

Where do you have DL from? Are you independent of your parents? Wife work?

Mostly, it doesn't matter. To me you are a state B resident and you should be as long as you have State B's driver's license, home address, phone bills/gas bills/lease etc that is in your name in State B -- all this should be more than a year old then you will be fine.

the space which they provided to write description about ECs etc ~ 750 characters, that seems a lot. How long do you guys write, bullet format/pointers or in paragraph form. Thanks

Can someone answer this please!

why doesnt it let me apply to both campuses of Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine? I can only apply for the virginia or SC campus but not both?

Not long. Keep it short and concise. Just because there's 750 chars doesn't mean you should use it all.

The idea is to give a brief description of what the subject is, then list your responsibilities to it. For example... I was secretary for the campus SPS Club... so I put:

"This organization helps promote physics by hosting speakers, participating in campus activities, and emphasizing research. Secretary responsibilities include attending meetings, taking meeting minutes, emailing members, coordinating campus events, and maintaining an archive of SPS files.

Club member: Fall 2008 - Spring 2011 Secretary: Fall 2010 - Spring 2011"

Don't overcomplicate it. Adcoms read hundreds of these things... they don't want to read a narrative or anything. Just provide a brief explanation of what the project, club, research, work, award, etc. is, and what your role was in it.

why doesnt it let me apply to both campuses of Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine? I can only apply for the virginia or SC campus but not both?

There is a place on the secondary app where it says you can be placed in the alternate campus (the one you didn't select) if you're willing to. So they'll consider you for both campuses. But for AACOMAS, just pick which campus you prefer to go to out of the two.

I did a search on this website and although I found the answers on a dental thread, I couldn't find it addressed for AACOMAS...
I have quite a few split letter grades. AB and yes, horrors, a BC.
Although I have read the app instructions, it's not becoming clear in my befuddled head. How do I convert that to the AACOMAS grade???

Thanks, I think I'm just fried at this point. Can't figure out the obvious. :confused:

I believe when I did it, I was either be able to manually enter 3.5 or 2.5 or there is a drop down menu where you can select those numbers. I know it is possible because I definitely had to do that two years ago.

Hey guys,
I am currently doing a masters in Ireland and was wondering how to fill out the coursework page? Obviously the courses from my undergrad in the US is straightforward but for my grades for my masters, do I need to wait until I have my transcript evaluated and put those grades down? My transcript won't be properly evaluated until Mid June so I was hoping to submit before then..

Hey guys,
I'm currently doing a masters in Ireland but because of my spring term, I will not have my transcript evaluation from an american company complete until around mid to late June but I wanted to send in my app on June 1st if possible. Is it possible to send in my application to one school to start the processing on June 1st without my transcript evaluation? And how do I fill in my coursework grades when I don't have the evaluated marks yet?

Here's Marian's DO website specifically
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/Pages/default.aspx

Here's the admissions requirements
http://www.marian.edu/osteopathic-medical-school/admissions/Pages/RequirementsforAdmission.aspx

I haven't done much in looking for the others since Marian is in my home state.

The format I used for each of these is as follow:

1. what it is
2. what I did
3. what I learned

Doing that I hit around 650 character average. Good luck.

Hey guys,
I'm currently doing a masters in Ireland but because of my spring term, I will not have my transcript evaluation from an american company complete until around mid to late June but I wanted to send in my app on June 1st if possible. Is it possible to send in my application to one school to start the processing on June 1st without my transcript evaluation? And how do I fill in my coursework grades when I don't have the evaluated marks yet?

Your application isn't send directly to the schools. When you submit, the application goes to AACOMAS for verification of transcript, coursework, etc. Then AACOMAS is the one that will send the schools your application.

So no, you can't submit AACOMAS without your transcript. Not sure what to do in your situation... you might want to email AACOMAS for the best answer.

Question: Just to be sure, as a Canadian applicant, under citizenship, I would put non-citizen, non-visa holder? This is asking in terms of being a US citizen right?
Also, for SSN, should I enter my SIN? or just leave it blank? And I don't have any undergrad work experience. Do applicants list work in high school?

Thank you

Last edited:
The format I used for each of these is as follow:

1. what it is
2. what I did
3. what I learned

Doing that I hit around 650 character average. Good luck.

Did you do this in bullet form or write it all in a paragraph?

Did you do this in bullet form or write it all in a paragraph?

I used a combination of both. In graduate school most of my professors have expressed wanting the facts and not fluffy BS. I can only assume that after reading the first 50 apps that it all starts to run together.