*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2015-2016 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was a little confused by how we label retakes; do we highlight both the original attempt (after you make it 0 units) and the most recent attempt?

So for example; if I retook 2 classes, is it supposed to be labeled "4 courses selected" (after selecting the 2 initial attempts and retakes) on the repeat course selection page?

Sorry if it's confusing, but this + AP units are the parts I'm stuck at heh. I do miss the old method, this one reminds me of turbotax! Thanks in advance!

In terms of the retakes you are correct, choose both the old and the retake but make sure the original has zero credits
 
In terms of the retakes you are correct, choose both the old and the retake but make sure the original has zero credits

Thank you so much! I felt pretty dumb cause I just couldn't comprehend if I was doing it right, and the amount of courses selected made me feel really self conscious heh.

Everything else should still be the same right? In terms of course code, course title, subject etc, aside from the fact that the original has zero credits right?

Thanks again! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question: If you volunteered for 5 years and it asks for "number of weeks", is the "total hours" per month or is it the total hour over the whole 5 years?
 
Question regarding letters of evaluation: Sorry if this has been answered or if it's somewhere on the AACOMAS FAQ (I checked but didn't spot it).

I have a letter of evaluation service through my undergraduate institution and they currently are holding my letters. I want to have all the letters sent to AACOMAS so that I can get my application verified early (don't want to take any chances). However, I am planning to shadow and receive a letter from a DO this summer (realistically by late July or sometime in August). Will I be able to have the DO send a letter to AACOMAS directly (to then be redistributed to all my schools) even after my application has been verified?
 
Question regarding letters of evaluation: Sorry if this has been answered or if it's somewhere on the AACOMAS FAQ (I checked but didn't spot it).

I have a letter of evaluation service through my undergraduate institution and they currently are holding my letters. I want to have all the letters sent to AACOMAS so that I can get my application verified early (don't want to take any chances). However, I am planning to shadow and receive a letter from a DO this summer (realistically by late July or sometime in August). Will I be able to have the DO send a letter to AACOMAS directly (to then be redistributed to all my schools) even after my application has been verified?

You can submit your application without any letters at all. Letters are supplemental to the primary and not necessary for verification.
 
Thanks! So I could return to AACOMAS and add any letters after verifying?
I believe so:

Q: Can I e-submit my application before my references are received by AACOMAS?
A: Yes. Once you have successfully filled out your application, you can e-submit it to AACOMAS at any time. However, your application will not be processed until AACOMAS has received all of your official transcripts and your payment.
 
I have taken a lot of bio classes and my transcript classifies them as "BY" meaning biology. But obviously bio classes can be things like immunology and cellular physiology. Do I classify these classes as "Biology" on the AACOMAS or as the specific classes they were such as "Cellular Physiology" ?
 
You can submit your application without any letters at all. Letters are supplemental to the primary and not necessary for verification.

If I am not mistaken, we do not need the letters of recommendation to receive our secondaries, correct? As long as we have our transcript verified, that is.
 
An AACOMAS rep told me that we can e-submit our applications before they physically receive our transcripts. I got the fee waiver, and didnt realize that you could submit before July 1st, and so was extremely upset b/c I thought I wouldn't be able to put in Spring semester grades since my finals are next week. (you only get 2 weeks to submit after you get approved for the waiver.)
 
Hi guys! I have a couple questions about the experience section.
1. If I shadowed a DO, can I just put "shadowing" as my title, or does it have to be a formal job title?
2. For the description/key responsibilities part, is it better to write a paragraph about what I did or just list them?

I also have a questions about the course work. I basically received departmental credits from my undergraduate institution for some courses that I tested out. So instead of letter grades, I have "CR"s for them on my transcript, which mean credits. How should I enter the grades for these classes?

Please help! Thanks a lot! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait, wait, wait, am I understanding this correct? My paramedic classes, since they are considered "other science" will be factored into my science GPA???
 
Some of my classes at my school are under the subject "Health Management and Community Development" which are all classes for my health science major. Some of the actual class names are (i.e., U.S. Health Services System, Role of Culture in Health Care, Health Care Administration and Policy, Health Care Issues of the 21st Century, Epidemiology, Financing Health Care Services). That is a huge list of classes but I was hoping they may fall under some category of "other science" with the new classification. What do you guys' think?

Edit: I was thinking under "Health" or "Health Services" which are both under other sciences.
 
It likely doesn't matter, but I think maybe "Public Health" is a good choice.

Epidemiology is a choice as well.
 
It likely doesn't matter, but I think maybe "Public Health" is a good choice.

Epidemiology is a choice as well.
The reason it matters for me is because it will really increase my sGPA if I can consider them other science.
 
Does anyone know how to check if my transcript has been received? I've been clicking everywhere, but can't seem to find the right place on the site.
 
Thanks! It seems we can't find out until after the primary is submitted.

That's certainly an... interesting decision on their part. Those of us who are considering waiting for grades before we submit because we can't update again til Sept. might like to know if the transcripts actually got there correctly.

Although, it's good to see whoever put the instructions together had a sense of humor with the name on the LoR.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! I have a couple questions about the experience section.
1. If I shadowed a DO, can I just put "shadowing" as my title, or does it have to be a formal job title?
2. For the description/key responsibilities part, is it better to write a paragraph about what I did or just list them?

This is what I did:
Health Experience
Title: "Physician Shadows"
Description: Few sentences with what I did, pretty basic. Then below that I put "providers name, DO or MD, and what they practice". I only put a few of them (a DO, MD PCP, and MD surgery) because of very limited space. I think its important that you write a small amount explaining what you did because i think every shadow is a little different. Also this is a good thing to expand on (other docs you shadowed not listed, things you saw, what you learn, etc) in your secondaries as well as interviews. Just make sure to document all the hours correctly and make sure the person you put for a contact is aware of all the shadows you have done.

Thats just what I did, take it as you may. 🙂

On a side note, 600 characters is note enough! haha
 
That's certainly an... interesting decision on their part. Those of us who are considering waiting for grades before we submit because we can't update again til Sept. might like to know if the transcripts actually got there correctly.

Although, it's good to see whoever put the instructions together had a sense of humor with the name on the LoR.
Yeah - it is quite strange. I suppose we could also call them to confirm that the transcript has been received.
 
This is what I did:
Health Experience
Title: "Physician Shadows"
Description: Few sentences with what I did, pretty basic. Then below that I put "providers name, DO or MD, and what they practice". I only put a few of them (a DO, MD PCP, and MD surgery) because of very limited space. I think its important that you write a small amount explaining what you did because i think every shadow is a little different. Also this is a good thing to expand on (other docs you shadowed not listed, things you saw, what you learn, etc) in your secondaries as well as interviews. Just make sure to document all the hours correctly and make sure the person you put for a contact is aware of all the shadows you have done.

Thats just what I did, take it as you may. 🙂

On a side note, 600 characters is note enough! haha
Thanks! That helped!! :happy:
 
Can anyone recommend/reference a solid GPA calculator? I used 4.0 and two different spreadsheets from the forum and two have similar GPA's while the other gives a higher. I reviewed my entries for errors and didn't find any...
 
I'm currently entering in coursework, says to mark repeated courses as "repeats"....but I don't see that option anywhere...can anyone point it out?

Also, says to select AP courses with the "advanced placement" option...I haven't seen this anywhere. Are these options given when we submit?
 
Last edited:
I know for ACCOMAS A is the highest but when I type in A+ (as it shows on my transcript) the CAS grade is still A+? Just leave it And let them figure it out when I have it verified?
 
No, just add it the first time you were granted credit, not where you transferred it to. Generally your freshman year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Previously it was pretty easy to add Hobbies, now with the new system its going to be difficult with organization name and supervisor. Anyone find a good way to do this?
 
While going through my transcript I had something I was thinking as labeling as a retake, but wanted to see what you guys thought. As of now, I have not marked it as a repeat.

I have a 5 unit "Pre-Calculus" course for which I received an F. I later have a 3 unit "College Algebra" course, for which I received an A. I compared the syllabi, and even though they are different, they are almost exactly the same.

The Pre-Calculus course is "MATH 220" and the College Algebra course is "MATH 215". They fill the same purpose, as being the class you take before Calculus, but the Pre-Calculus course is from the accelerated track.

Should I mark them as a retake? My concern is that the newer course is less units and not the exact same title. I also have 8 units of Calculus. 😏
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.