Official AADSAS Q&A Thread 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So when your apps are "Complete" they are not being read by schools? They must be "Verified"?

Members don't see this ad.

So when your apps are "Complete" they are not being read by schools? They must be "Verified"?
You submit to AADSAS, and then AADSAS spends 2-3 weeks verifying your transcripts and calculating your GPAs = Verified. Then they are sent out to the schools you applied to, who will look them over for Completion (making sure you've met all their pre-reqs, have the appropriate letters, etc.) = Complete. Then the school will send your app to its admissions committee who will review your app and decide whether or not to bring you in for an interview.

Reactions: 1 users
You submit to AADSAS, and then AADSAS spends 2-3 weeks verifying your transcripts and calculating your GPAs = Verified. Then they are sent out to the schools you applied to, who will look them over for Completion (making sure you've met all their pre-reqs, have the appropriate letters, etc.) = Complete. Then the school will send your app to its admissions committee who will review your app and decide whether or not to bring you in for an interview.
So if it says “Complete” it’s already been verified? Sorry I’m confused about this!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So if it says “Complete” it’s already been verified? Sorry I’m confused about this!!
If you're talking about the last page with statuses on it, I would really disregard those as most schools don't use those. Some schools may leave you complete all the way through the end of the cycle and never update it lol. I think that's AADSAS' way of saying you have everything that AADSAS needs and you're complete as per AADSAS, but I would go based on what schools email you - you'll hear back from them saying something like "Thank you for submitting blah blah. At this time you may pay the secondary fee blah blah." Or "Thank you for applying, your application is complete and will be sent to the admissions committee for review" etc.

tl;dr: Don't focus on what AADSAS says your status is. I think you get an email when AADSAS has finished verifying your app, and when you download your app from that last page, your grades/transcript portion will all say "verified". Until that happens, it's not verified, and schools haven't gotten it.

Reactions: 1 user
So after doing a lot of research I am a little confused about community college credits, and was hoping someone could help clarify. I have 67 credits that transferred to my undergrad (basically no science classes), then did 82 (almost all science) at my university, GPA good at both institutions.

After looking at the requirements posted on some other threads, it seems this disqualifies me from the majority of dental schools. Am I interpreting this correctly? Or are the community college credits concerning "required courses"?

I'm slightly confused about the BioChem requirement for a lot of dental schools. I took a Biochemistry course over the summer at a 4-year institution that was on the quarter system (the course was 4 quarter hours and covered biochemistry quite extensively).

1. Most of the schools I'm applying to state that they require "3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours" of biochemistry. However, 4 quarter hours converts into 2.67 semester hours. I'm assuming they will still accept the course correct?

2. Additionally, two schools I was really looking forward to applying to state that they require "1 semester or 2 quarters of Biochemistry". However, the institution where I took Biochemistry only offered one Biochemistry course over the summer. Am I out of luck for these schools or will they reconsider if I email them? If I do not make their requirement, is it still worth it to apply to these schools anyways and take an additional biochemistry course this summer/fall? (I have been out of school since last fall)

After looking at the requirements posted on some other threads, it seems this disqualifies me from the majority of dental schools. Am I interpreting this correctly? Or are the community college credits concerning "required courses"?
I would assume this means all classes at a CC, not specifically just science ones. So yes, you would be interpreting it correctly BUT you can always email the schools you're really interested in and ask if they'd take a look at your app and consider it, or if they'd just auto-reject it. Obv don't ask like that :p but you can definitely ask and see how they respond.
1. Most of the schools I'm applying to state that they require "3 semester hours or 4 quarter hours" of biochemistry. However, 4 quarter hours converts into 2.67 semester hours. I'm assuming they will still accept the course correct?
Yes. If they require 4 quarter hours = 1 quarter of biochem (3 units) + lab (1 unit) or biochem (4 units). Don't convert.
2. Additionally, two schools I was really looking forward to applying to state that they require "1 semester or 2 quarters of Biochemistry". However, the institution where I took Biochemistry only offered one Biochemistry course over the summer. Am I out of luck for these schools or will they reconsider if I email them? If I do not make their requirement, is it still worth it to apply to these schools anyways and take an additional biochemistry course this summer/fall? (I have been out of school since last fall)
I ran into the same issue and took 2 quarters for LLU since they required it and I didn't want to take a chance. I would consider you out since they have many other applicants that DO meet their requirements, and would be unlikely to make an exception for you based on that. Yes to your last question, you can always put biochem as planned this summer or fall, add it to your app, and either take it for the schools if you get an interview, or drop it if you get rejected by them. But, biochem is a really helpful class to have for your first year of dental school, so I'd just keep and take it tbh.

Yes. If they require 4 quarter hours = 1 quarter of biochem (3 units) + lab (1 unit) or biochem (4 units). Don't convert.

Thank you for your reply. Don't you have to convert to semester hours in the transcript entry section of AADSAS?

Thank you for your reply. Don't you have to convert to semester hours in the transcript entry section of AADSAS?
No, you'd add the school you took it at as a new school, put that it was on a quarter system, and then request a transcript from them. If it transferred over to your university and is on your official transcript, you'd list it on there too (where it would probably be converted to semester hours, idk). Then when matching prereqs, be sure to match the 4 unit quarter class to schools.

Hey guys, I just submitted my ADEA application and I was confused about something I received in the email.
"
Before your application is placed in line for verification, confirm that:

• We received all official transcripts and any required foreign transcript evaluations.
  • You approved your completed Professional Transcript Entry Service (PTE) if you used this service."

My question is, how do I confirm these things?

They are all higher level "HS" (Health Science) classes, such as
Epidemiology
Drugs of Use and Abuse
Hospital & Health Admin
Intro to Community Health
Communicable & NonComm Diseases

...do these count as Science GPA for dental school adminission?

I would assume this means all classes at a CC, not specifically just science ones. So yes, you would be interpreting it correctly BUT you can always email the schools you're really interested in and ask if they'd take a look at your app and consider it, or if they'd just auto-reject it. Obv don't ask like that :p but you can definitely ask and see how they respond
wow still kind of shocked.. I would think a degree from an accredited four year university would be enough. Especially because someone could transfer more credits than they need for their degree... so just taking some extra classes for fun could disqualify someone? I don't know, it still doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for your time :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just submitted my ADEA application and I was confused about something I received in the email.
"
Before your application is placed in line for verification, confirm that:

• We received all official transcripts and any required foreign transcript evaluations.
  • You approved your completed Professional Transcript Entry Service (PTE) if you used this service."

My question is, how do I confirm these things?
1. On the last tab, under "Transcripts", it should say "Arrived".
2. Not sure about this one since I didn't use this, but I'd assume that if you were able to submit your application, that you already reviewed everything that was entered via PTE.
They are all higher level "HS" (Health Science) classes, such as
Epidemiology
Drugs of Use and Abuse
Hospital & Health Admin
Intro to Community Health
Communicable & NonComm Diseases

...do these count as Science GPA for dental school adminission?
Epi = Biology = yes counts under sGPA and BCP GPA as well
Drugs = not sure, possibly Other Science because it's under a "health science" department/prefix
Hospital & Health Admin = Non-Science = no, only counts under oGPA
Community Health = Non-Science = no, only counts under oGPA
Com & NonCom Diseases = not sure, possibly Other Science because that's where "disease" is

Classify them as you see best and AADSAS will change them for you based on what they think if they disagree with your classifications. You can also email/call AADSAS directly, but I'd be wary of their answers cause sometimes it's different depending on who you talk to lol

Source: ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects
Epi does for AACOMAS. I am wondering about this too!
Dental school has a course subject list, I'm sure the MD/DO schools will have one too that you can reference.
wow still kind of shocked.. I would think a degree from an accredited four year university would be enough. Especially because someone could transfer more credits than they need for their degree... so just taking some extra classes for fun could disqualify someone? I don't know, it still doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for your time :)
It sucks but it is what it is. Dental schools prefer courses from 4 year universities because they consider CC's to be easier, and thus if you took tons of classes there, they might think that your GPAs may be inflated because "CC's are easier". I would still definitely ask the schools you're interested in and see what they think - they might make exceptions, who knows!

I'm slightly confused about the BioChem requirement for a lot of dental schools. I took a Biochemistry course over the summer at a 4-year institution that was on the quarter system (the course was 4 quarter hours and covered biochemistry quite extensively).

1) As long as you took your Biochem at a 4 year institution, you are fine. I went to a quarter system undergrad school and I was able to fulfill that requirement.
2) For schools that require 2 courses of Biochem like UWash.. you will have to take another biochem to meet the requirement. I was told that UC Berkeley offers Online Biochem course over summer. Maybe look into that?

So I believe the rule actually is that only 60 credits from cc can be applied toward your prerequisite courses. If you go over 60 credits, I believe schools will essentially ignore some of the credits in their calculations, especially if they’re nonprerequisites. Otherwise a lot of students transferring after 2 years would be screwed. But this interpretation may be different from school to school, so yes, your best bet is emailing the schools you’re applying to to find out.

Hi! I was curious whether my application would still be verified if one of my professors has not yet submitted the evaluation? So far I have one letter from my dentist, and two from my lecture professors.

Hi! I was curious whether my application would still be verified if one of my professors has not yet submitted the evaluation? So far I have one letter from my dentist, and two from my lecture professors.

AADSAS will start the verification process as soon as you submit. However, your app will not be considered complete or review by admissions until all your LoRs are submitted.

Hi everyone!

Some supplementals I am completing ask for a list of other dental schools I am applying to. What if we decide to apply to more schools later on in the summer? Will we have to contact the school to let them know that we added more or does it not matter? I wouldn't wanna come off like I'm hiding anything!!

So I believe the rule actually is that only 60 credits from cc can be applied toward your prerequisite courses. If you go over 60 credits, I believe schools will essentially ignore some of the credits in their calculations, especially if they’re nonprerequisites. Otherwise a lot of students transferring after 2 years would be screwed. But this interpretation may be different from school to school, so yes, your best bet is emailing the schools you’re applying to to find out.
hm okay, thanks so much! well in that case i may be fine, ill still need to contact the schools though.. If they just didn't count my last 7 cc credits I think id still have enough for my degree.. and all my important classes were from 4 yr university.. ah I can't wait to be done with this application stuff my gosh

Hi everyone!

Some supplementals I am completing ask for a list of other dental schools I am applying to. What if we decide to apply to more schools later on in the summer? Will we have to contact the school to let them know that we added more or does it not matter? I wouldn't wanna come off like I'm hiding anything!!
Feel free to complete this list using only the schools you’re applying to currently. If you are later asked which schools you received INTERVIEWS to, pick only 2 max other schools to put on the list (assuming you have 3+ interviews) and leave it at that. Here’s why- the schools that ask for a list have a hunch that you will not pick them as first choice and will use your list as a sort of probably that you will choose their school come December. If you list a lengthy list of schools you’re interviewing at, you’ll likely be waitlisted until they see you were passed over for acceptance elsewhere. You would think this is “hiding something,” but this is really fair play. I was indirectly told that schools cannot see where you have received interview invite to, which makes sense why they ask.

Last edited:
Do not complete this list if you are applying to quite a few schools (8+). Pick 4 to 5 other schools to put on the list and leave it at that. Here’s why- the schools that ask for a list have a hunch that you will not pick them as first choice and will use your list as a sort of probably that you will choose their school come December. If you list a lengthy list of schools, you’ll likely be waitlisted until they see you were passed over for acceptance elsewhere. You would think this is “hiding something,” but this is really fair play.
I was wondering this same thing. So if we just list 4-5 schools., and leave out the rest that we are applying to, will they not know about the ones we don't mention?

I was wondering this same thing. So if we just list 4-5 schools., and leave out the rest that we are applying to, will they not know about the ones we don't mention?
Whoops, didn’t realize I was replying to the previous post in the official q/a section, so maybe not the place. We’ll have to hear artist’s thoughts on the matter. And corrected my last post (See above). On my interview trail I found out what I believe is the truth, that they only know which schools you accepted a spot at once you‘ve placed your deposit to a school after acceptance, and don’t know where you have received INTERVIEWS. It makes sense to me, seeing as I was asked a few times during my interview trail which schools I received interviews from. And like I said, the schools that asked seemed to use this info against me.

Last edited:
I merged threads as they're still related to the AADSAS app haha
Schools don't know what other schools you're applying to and that's why they ask, but it's up to you how you want to answer the question. They want to know how much you value them, and if you'd attend their school if they interviewed you and accepted you. They don't want to waste an interview spot on you if they think you'd never even attend anyway

They only know where you've been accepted to if you place multiple deposits and don't withdraw by March 2021.

Schools really don't know anything and that's why they have these supplemental questions to see how much you really want them
I didn't apply to a school that had this question so I can't really say anything about it.. and none of my interviews asked either (some do, so just make sure you keep a consistent "story" throughout....?).

Schools can and will use this type of info against you, and you don't want to give them a reason to.

I will be taking my DAT in early August, is that too late for this cycle? I pushed it back a bit so I could study more.

Should I submit everything else right now without the DAT, I have everything ready (PS, LOR etc.). Any schools going to review my app without the DAT. GPA is 3.97 overall, 3.95 sGPA for reference.

Hi!
I have a shadowing experience, where I started off as a shadow but then became an unpaid dental assistant. I did this for 2 whole summers, so I have about 700 hours from this. I find it kind of odd to put it under shadowing, and I can't put it under employment cause I didn't get paid. Can someone help me categorize this in the experience section, please?

thank you!!

Hi!
I have a shadowing experience, where I started off as a shadow but then became an unpaid dental assistant. I did this for 2 whole summers, so I have about 700 hours from this. I find it kind of odd to put it under shadowing, and I can't put it under employment cause I didn't get paid. Can someone help me categorize this in the experience section, please?

thank you!!
In my opinion, if you wanted you could put it under work experience, since you would be able to list this experience on a resume, unpaid or not. Just don’t mention that you were not paid for your work as a dental assistant, unless directly asked (which you won’t be).

Are schools using Science GPA or BCP GPA when they make decisions? Both?
Both, all, everything. Since you said you were already verified, I'm sure you've noticed the millions of GPAs that were calculated lol. I think different schools use different ones, but generally oGPA, sGPA, and BCP GPA are all looked at.
I will be taking my DAT in early August, is that too late for this cycle? I pushed it back a bit so I could study more.

Should I submit everything else right now without the DAT, I have everything ready (PS, LOR etc.). Any schools going to review my app without the DAT. GPA is 3.97 overall, 3.95 sGPA for reference.
1) No - generally it would be, but because of COVID, I think you're fine.
2) You can submit but it doesn't really matter since schools will pause the review of your application until your scores are in. I don't think any schools will review because your application is not considered complete, so it's a waste of their time to send it to the admissions committee... Also once you take it, it'll take another 2-3 weeks for your scores to become official, so it'll likely be the end of August when your scores are added to your app and your app is finally complete. Keep this in mind

Both, all, everything. Since you said you were already verified, I'm sure you've noticed the millions of GPAs that were calculated lol. I think different schools use different ones, but generally oGPA, sGPA, and BCP GPA are all looked at.

1) No - generally it would be, but because of COVID, I think you're fine.
2) You can submit but it doesn't really matter since schools will pause the review of your application until your scores are in. I don't think any schools will review because your application is not considered complete, so it's a waste of their time to send it to the admissions committee... Also once you take it, it'll take another 2-3 weeks for your scores to become official, so it'll likely be the end of August when your scores are added to your app and your app is finally complete. Keep this in mind

Just to clarify, it won't hurt if I submit the application now right? Or should I wait until I take the DAT to submit. I thought I might as well submit now since I have everything ready, and I only have to worry about the DAT then.

Also do schools still send out pre-december interviews even if the application is technically complete late August-early September (when the DAT scores will be verified)?
I'll probably send unofficial scores to whichever schools accept them.

Just to clarify, it won't hurt if I submit the application now right? Or should I wait until I take the DAT to submit. I thought I might as well submit now since I have everything ready, and I only have to worry about the DAT then.
It won't hurt. It just won't help/make a difference either. You can submit now and your app can start getting verified and you can get notified if there are any issues with anything (like transcript entry) and fix those....
Also do schools still send out pre-december interviews even if the application is technically complete late August-early September (when the DAT scores will be verified)?
I'll probably send unofficial scores to whichever schools accept them.
Depends on the school. I took it early August, submitted end of August, and got 2 pre-Dec interviews at UCLA and USC. The rest of my interview invites were after Dec 1st. But these were all in-person interviews, and who knows how interviews will be this cycle (I'm sure many will be virtual).
I think Iowa is the only school that "looks" at unofficial scores, but they don't do anything until official scores are in. And Iowa is very difficult to get into OOS so it might not be worth it for you.

If an app is verified/all materials are completed by around July 15th-16th does that qualify as an early applicant for a good shot at pre-december interviews?

Accidentally starred an activity that I did not want to star because I’m waiting on an activity in July, is there anything I can do? I have already submitted my app.

Accidentally starred an activity that I did not want to star because I’m waiting on an activity in July, is there anything I can do? I have already submitted my app.
No, but it doesn’t sound like a mistake. So don’t worry about it.

Last edited:
No, but it doesn’t sound like a mistake. So don’t worry about it. Add the activity at the academic update in august and you can email your schools directly this academic update if you feel it’s necessary.

I can still add the experience now, no? I was under the impression that you could add experiences just not edit the ones you have submitted?

If an app is verified/all materials are completed by around July 15th-16th does that qualify as an early applicant for a good shot at pre-december interviews?
It's not early, but it's not late either - it's fine. You'll get interviews if your application is at par.
Nothing you can do about accidentally starring. Would leave it as is.
I can still add the experience now, no? I was under the impression that you could add experiences just not edit the ones you have submitted?
Yes - you can add experiences at any time. You cannot edit any of them after you submit. Grades are the only thing that you can't update, and you have to wait for the academic update periods to do so.

It's not early, but it's not late either - it's fine. You'll get interviews if your application is at par.

Thanks! My committee letter from my university will not be in until about July 15th. So even though I submitted on the 16th of June it doesn't make me "early" since the letter isn't in?

Hi, any help would be appreciated. So I am submitting my app today, but had a question about the transcript entry. So I took college classes in high school offered through a program from the college I currently attend.
So, 1. Do I need to report those classes and grades even if I didn't move them over to my undergrad career? (gpa and credit totals not affected)
and
2. If I do move them over, how do I report the term year since it was offered from the same university, but a few years prior to me actually starting college?

Thanks!

Thanks! My committee letter from my university will not be in until about July 15th. So even though I submitted on the 16th of June it doesn't make me "early" since the letter isn't in?
No because your application isn't/won't be complete until it's in.
Hi, any help would be appreciated. So I am submitting my app today, but had a question about the transcript entry. So I took college classes in high school offered through a program from the college I currently attend.
So, 1. Do I need to report those classes and grades even if I didn't move them over to my undergrad career? (gpa and credit totals not affected)
and
2. If I do move them over, how do I report the term year since it was offered from the same university, but a few years prior to me actually starting college?

Thanks!
1. Yes. You have to report any and all courses taken at any college or university, and request a transcript from them.
2. They're considered freshman and after you've entered everything in, you will select them as "Dual Enrollment" courses.
Refer to this for related questions: Transcript Entry

The BU app asks this question: " How are you familiar with GSDM? ". They also have another question asking why I would be a good fit in their school. Im having trouble answering the first question and differentiating it with the second one. Can someone clarify it for me please?
Thank you!

Silly question, but how would you know if your classes actually meet the pre-req requirements?

For example I'm signed up for some "english" classes, but I'm not 100% sure whether they will fulfill the requirements. Does the AADSAS app inform you or something?
Fwiw, I haven't graduated yet so I still have next year to add required classes if needed

Hello! I am about to submit my application at the end of this week but I am a bit confused about how my official DAT scores will be verified by AADSAS. I took my DAT Aug 2018 and selected all schools when taking the test so my scores should have been sent to schools. So when I submit my AADSAS application, do I need to do anything to verify or send DAT scores? what I heard is that my scores will automatically be sent when I submit since my DENTPIN will be linked with my application. Thank for the helps.

Hello! I am about to submit my application at the end of this week but I am a bit confused about how my official DAT scores will be verified by AADSAS. I took my DAT Aug 2018 and selected all schools when taking the test so my scores should have been sent to schools. So when I submit my AADSAS application, do I need to do anything to verify or send DAT scores? what I heard is that my scores will automatically be sent when I submit since my DENTPIN will be linked with my application. Thank for the helps.
If you click on the application for one of the schools you're applying to, you should be able to see the official scores right above unofficial scores. That means AADSAS had already uploaded your official scores and you're good to go!

Currently filling out my application and just had a quick question. When i school asks you to choose which of your courses satisfies their prereq requirements, for stuff like Biology do we just choose all the bio courses we've taken or just specifically general biology? They arent very forthcoming with information. Like if ive taken genetics or physiology or immunology can i use that as a prereq for the biology pre req or nah?

Hi all. I'm a Texas resident and applying this cycle. I want to know whether I should focus on the TMDSAS first and then AADSAS or I should submit them both around the same time.

Hey all. I've been trying to find a simple answer to this but no luck so far. If I had already finalized my transcript and sent in my applications to schools before my last transcript was received (one of the schools forced me to use snail mail), what happens if they do find an issue with it? Like to they just fix it themselves or do I have to correct it and the applications I sent will be automatically updated? Thanks!

Hey all. I've been trying to find a simple answer to this but no luck so far. If I had already finalized my transcript and sent in my applications to schools before my last transcript was received (one of the schools forced me to use snail mail), what happens if they do find an issue with it? Like to they just fix it themselves or do I have to correct it and the applications I sent will be automatically updated? Thanks!
They will send your application back for you to correct it

The BU app asks this question: " How are you familiar with GSDM? ". They also have another question asking why I would be a good fit in their school. Im having trouble answering the first question and differentiating it with the second one. Can someone clarify it for me please?
Thank you!
1) What do you know about Boston U? Have you heard about them from friends, family, the news, their outreach, etc.?
2) Why would you fit in well with the incoming class/why should they accept you? Do you fit their vision/mission statements? etc.
Silly question, but how would you know if your classes actually meet the pre-req requirements?

For example I'm signed up for some "english" classes, but I'm not 100% sure whether they will fulfill the requirements. Does the AADSAS app inform you or something?
Fwiw, I haven't graduated yet so I still have next year to add required classes if needed
You don't and no the app doesn't inform you. Most classes are straight forward and you can easily tell, but others might not be. You'd have to email the schools with the syllabus for that class and ask them if it'd be accepted (I had to do this for UCLA - I used a Bio Senior Thesis type of class that was extremely writing intensive to fulfill the pre-req for English alongside my other English classes). For English, I think the point is that it has to be writing intensive.
Currently filling out my application and just had a quick question. When i school asks you to choose which of your courses satisfies their prereq requirements, for stuff like Biology do we just choose all the bio courses we've taken or just specifically general biology? They arent very forthcoming with information. Like if ive taken genetics or physiology or immunology can i use that as a prereq for the biology pre req or nah?
See this answer I've quoted from earlier in this thread........
"For your second question, I would list what fits best. If they ask for Gen Bio, match Gen Bio I & II and that's it, not A&P, upper div bios, etc. This is just to see if you've met all their pre-req requirements - they already have your transcript on hand, they don't want to read your transcript all over again basically!" This is the post
Hi all. I'm a Texas resident and applying this cycle. I want to know whether I should focus on the TMDSAS first and then AADSAS or I should submit them both around the same time.
Honestly I don't think it matters... but I think TMDSAS opened in May so you're a bit behind the ball and I'd probably do that one first. It's barely been a week since AADSAS opened.
Depending on what the issue is, they may correct it on their own (like a class should be classified as Behavioral Psychology instead of Psychology) or they may send it back to you for you to fix (like you missed a 0 unit or NC class that was on your transcript) and then your app would be sent to the back of the line for verification.

Hi!
Im a texas resident and im applying to texas schools. Im sending my application (both aadsas and tmdsas) tomorrow. I was wondering if this is considered late for thr=e texas applications?
Thank you

Note to everyone else: do NOT go back and re-read your app after submission - you'll notice stupid, minor mistakes. :( Not on my personal statement, thank goodness. Just stupid, minor typos (one is the word "positive" is spelled "positve" and then the word "received" is spelled "recieved") in the experiences section. Thankfully no wrong dates or anything of that sort.
I hope this does not disqualify me :(