*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I worked at a free clinic greeting patients, taking a chief complaint, brief history and vital signs, how would you name this under title?
Something like Charleston Free Clinic Medical Aide or Assistant.

Members don't see this ad.

When should the organization name space be used? If i worked at X company do I need to relist it in the organization name? Or should only my title go in the name and the company goes under organization? Also, if im a chem tutor should i just write that as the title and then my college as the organization?

Im sure it doesnt matter much Im just wondering if there is a standard way of doing things. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
When should the organization name space be used? a) If i worked at X company do I need to relist it in the organization name? Or should only my title go in the name and the company goes under organization? b) Also, if im a chem tutor should i just write that as the title and then my college as the organization?

Im sure it doesnt matter much Im just wondering if there is a standard way of doing things. Thanks a lot!
In general, you would fill in the organization name. Sometimes there is more than one choice, like the name of your school, the name of your college, a separate department within the college, the name of a club, etc. I'd try not to repeat a name in both the Organization Name and Title of an activity, but it is often done. If you have an official title you can use it, but you could instead use a name that gives a beter sense of what you really do.

For example
a) Organization name: AT&T. Experience Name: Telephone Operator. Or, Organization name: AT&T. Experience Name: Communication Facilitator and Emergency Response Expert.
b) Organization Name: Steward University. Experience Name: Chemistry Tutor through Office of Minority Affairs. Or, Organization Name: Office of Minority Affairs. Experience Name: Chemistry Tutor (or if you used Teaching as the Experience Type, rather than Employment, you might say Volunteer Chemistry Tutor).

So you can see, there is some flexibility in how you do it.

I might be completely crazy, but a very meaningful experience to me recently has been the divorce of my parents. It was a very sudden event that actually caused my mother to be suicidal, requiring her to be medically treated. This has been a very important life event over the past year and half. How do I incorporate this into my application? My personal statement is almost complete so I was thinking about taking a risk and adding it on to my EC section. Too risky?

1) The average applicant fills in 9-ish spots. So 12 is fine.

2) In general, you can pick the designation that best balances your application. Since the dates for being a leader and for the service are the same, personally I'd pick Leadership, making the community service component also evident in the title you give the activity, for example, "Founder and Programming Director of Wii Are Seniors Community Service Organization" or somesuch. :)
Thanks Catalystic,

Ill get back to you when im trying to properly phrase everything!

Two questions:

1) I like working out and exercising (weight-lifting and various forms of cardio), and it takes up quite a bit of my time. Would it be unusual or look desperate if I were to list this as an activity?

2) Should I list a summer study abroad program I participated in as an activity?

I might be completely crazy, but a very meaningful experience to me recently has been the divorce of my parents. It was a very sudden event that actually caused my mother to be suicidal, requiring her to be medically treated. This has been a very important life event over the past year and half. How do I incorporate this into my application? My personal statement is almost complete so I was thinking about taking a risk and adding it on to my EC section. Too risky?
Were you to do such a thing, I'd suggest you make the Experience less immediate by referring to a "family member" rather than a parent.

Alternatively, rather than listing it in the Experiences section, consider saving it for a Secondary essay, many of which might be an outlet for discussing it. Examples are: A stress and how you managed it, A challenge and how you overcame it, Discuss important factors that had an impact on your academic progress, or Is there anything else you would like the Admissions Committee to know.

Remember that the things you include in an application should reveal personality characteristics or experiences that make you a better candidate.

Think about the options I've suggested, and maybe also get an opinion from the premed advisor at your school. If you decide to proceed, have this person review what you've written.

Two questions:

1) I like working out and exercising (weight-lifting and various forms of cardio), and it takes up quite a bit of my time. Would it be unusual or look desperate if I were to list this as an activity?

2) Should I list a summer study abroad program I participated in as an activity?
1) This Experience is commonly included. Adcomms like to know about leisuretime activites.

2) Presumably, it's evident from your transcript, but discussing it further as an activity under Other is fine.

It sounds like it was a meaningful time in your life but I'm not sure if I would include it on AMCAS. It does seem a little risky IMO. You were a little ambiguous in your post but do you feel like it pushed you toward medicine?

Maybe LizzyM can stop in to give a third opinion

This should not go in the experience section. I agree with Catalystik that this might fit well with some of the secondary prompts. Focus on what you learned, how you coped, how you grew from this experience, how it made you more empathetic, anything along those lines.

yallow all, three questions

(1) I was hired by my University for a tutoring job, would it be under a Tutoring/Teaching or paid an employment or both? I have too many paid employment experiences and I though if I can include it under the Tutoring/teaching section. any suggestions?

(2) I also did some volunteering with the First Aid Service Team (FAST), did some medical treatments ranging from scrapes and blisters to major traumas. would that be listed under clincal or non clinical experience?

(3) I'm a member of Golden Key honour society, American Chemical Society and RNA club should I bother to include them?
i did attend some meetings. if yes under what experience type?

Thanks

Last edited:
yallow all, three questions

(1) I was hired by my University for a tutoring job, would it be under a Tutoring/Teaching or paid an employment or both? I have too many paid employment experiences and I though if I can include it under the Tutoring/teaching section. any suggestions?

Your choice. Teaching/tutoring seems to be a good choice under the circumstances (i.e. you have many paid employment experiences).
(2) I also did some volunteering with the First Aid Service Team (FAST), did some medical treatments ranging from scrapes and blisters to major traumas. would that be listed under clincal or non clinical experience?
Volunteer, clinical, in my opinion, particularly if you were providing hands on care.
(3) I'm a member of Golden Key honour society, American Chemical Society and RNA club should I bother to include them?
i did attend some meetings. if yes under what experience type?

Thanks

Golden Key usually gets listed as "Honor" and there is a separate section for club membership, IIRC. List them if you have space but they're usually considered filler unless you were involved for 2+hours/wk for a year or more and had some responsibilities beyond filling a seat at a lecture or meeting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Liz for your reply,

(1) regardinig golden key club membership, I was awarded a research grant by them and I'm guessing medical school would know I'm a memeber there after listing the award under the "Honor" experience type and the organization name....they also made me write a letter and take a video thanking the organization for the award .....will posted soon on their website ..not sure if I should include a link to my video....I'm not trying to run a popularity contest lol...

(2) If I was the founder of a soccer club in my city and playing soccer been a stress reliever in my life,....do you think I should include it as one of my meaningfull activities, i just feel that i should have three meaningfull activities from three different areas (i,e, one from community service(medical/clinical), 2nd from research experience and 3rd my hobby)

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, whoever's reading and answering:

I'm still working on PS and W&A. I had this question about W&A.

..Primary care at Queens-Long Island Medical Group Hicksville Office. Shadowing Dr. in the Urgent Care Clinic provided an excellent insight into the physician-outpatient relationship. We saw many common cases like asthma, bronchitis, and otitis media. He has great personal repertoire and relationships with patients.

52 hours. 08/11 – 09/11.Observing Dr. consult on infectious diseases and accompanying the medical students on rounds was a great experience. Our most interesting case was mucormycoses in a diabetic patient. He has an enthusiastic attitude and approach to inpatient managed patient care that I hope to reflect as a physician.
Are these okay to put, like the interesting cases we saw? They are the most memorable for me.

Okay so this might be an odd question but I saw earlier on this forum that it is okay to include fitness and exercise in your work/activities if it is a big part of your life.

My question is this -- over the last year and a half, I lost 50 pounds through healthy eating and a lot of exercise. I am able to maintain my weight because I continue to exercise for least one hour a day. Is this information I can include in my description? Or should I leave the weight loss out? It was kind of a big moment in my life, though!

Congrats!

I think that is great, it shows how your both disciplined and self motivated. But i'm not sure about including it. if there was a way to maybe just include it SOMEWHERE to further display the above traits. But lets see what the experts here have to say. Im not sure what the best route is with this. Just wanted to say great job and keep it up!

I've noticed that lots of people are including hobbies in the work/ activities section, I was just wondering if people were classifying them as extracurricular/hobbies/avocations or other. I am also kind of confused as to who you would list as a "contact" for personal hobbies.

I've noticed that lots of people are including hobbies in the work/ activities section, I was just wondering if people were classifying them as extracurricular/hobbies/avocations or other. I am also kind of confused as to who you would list as a "contact" for personal hobbies.

Listing yourself as a contact for personal hobbies is acceptable.

Hey, whoever's reading and answering:

I'm still working on PS and W&A. I had this question about W&A.

Primary care at Queens-Long Island Medical Group Hicksville Office. Shadowing Dr. in the Urgent Care Clinic provided an excellent insight into the physician-outpatient relationship. We saw many common cases like asthma, bronchitis, and otitis media. He has great personal repertoire and relationships with patients.

52 hours. 08/11 – 09/11.Observing Dr. consult on infectious diseases and accompanying the medical students on rounds was a great experience. Our most interesting case was mucormycoses in a diabetic patient. He has an enthusiastic attitude and approach to inpatient managed patient care that I hope to reflect as a physician.

.Are these okay to put, like the interesting cases we saw? They are the most memorable for me..
Yes, a quick blurb about an interesting (unidentifiable) case is fine, as is a bit of editorializing.

And try to give the same info about each opportunity in the same order.

Okay so this might be an odd question but I saw earlier on this forum that it is okay to include fitness and exercise in your work/activities if it is a big part of your life.

My question is this -- over the last year and a half, I lost 50 pounds through healthy eating and a lot of exercise. I am able to maintain my weight because I continue to exercise for least one hour a day. Is this information I can include in my description? Or should I leave the weight loss out? It was kind of a big moment in my life, though!
I've seen some effective Personal Statements that wrap around life style choices and weight loss. Rather than using Hobbies for all your grouped hobbies, I think you might make an entire entry under Other or Hobbies/Avocations, combining all the factors that go toward your interest in health maintenance, including your success at keeping the 50 pounds off. Well done.

What is the best way to write in my publications and conference presentations?

Should there be a separate entry for all publications or just one and I can list them all? Same with presentations at conferences.

should I have one entry for conferences attended? and one for conferences presented in?

also, how would i put in my abstracts or should i even do that?

Also, for sports, can I just say that I play soccer (which I do) and talk about team work? For AACOMAS, can "Athlete" be my title and name of organization is "Soccer Player"? I honestly have no idea how to write this in.

I also do a lot of traveling, is that relevant at all?

Also, for sports, can I just say that I play soccer (which I do) and talk about team work? For AACOMAS, can "Athlete" be my title and name of organization is "Soccer Player"? I honestly have no idea how to write this in.

I also do a lot of traveling, is that relevant at all?
For AACOMAS advice, I suggest you look in PreMedOsteo forum. For AMCAS, you would list soccer under Hobbies unless you were on an intercollegiate team.

Travel might be listed under Hobbies/Avocations or Other for AMCAS.

When I list awards/recognitions, can I just list them all in description?

Should I choose 1 or 2 conferences I attended, or can I just put all the conferences I attended and just site them in the description?

What is the best way to write in my publications and conference presentations?

Should there be a separate entry for all publications or just one and I can list them all? Same with presentations at conferences.

should I have one entry for conferences attended? and one for conferences presented in?

also, how would i put in my abstracts or should i even do that?
If you are asking for AMCAS purposes:

How many spaces do you have left?
How many publications do you have that were not in campus journals?
Did the posters/presentations present the same data as the pubs? Were they off campus?
Are the abstracts pubmed searchable?

Conferences Attended isn't worth much if you there for educational purposes only. I'd save that space for something more important.

If you are asking for AMCAS purposes:

How many spaces do you have left?
How many publications do you have that were not in campus journals?
Did the posters/presentations present the same data as the pubs? Were they off campus?
Are the abstracts pubmed searchable?

Conferences Attended isn't worth much if you there for educational purposes only. I'd save that space for something more important.

I have one publication in a peer reviewed journal and one in campus journal.

I have one poster that were presented in two national conferences and this is the one from the campus journal. All off campus

I have another conference where I presented 3 different posters (my name is on 3 posters), offcampus.
Abstracts are NOT pubmed searchable.

Basically:

Topics 1: 1 publication in campus journal and 2 offcampus presentations
Topic 2: 3 presentations in one conference off-campus
Topic 3: 2 presentations off campus (same lab but different data presented)
Topics 4: 1 publication, no presentations

Should I choose 1 or 2 conferences I attended, or can I just put all the conferences I attended and just site them in the description?
I have one publication in a peer reviewed journal and one in campus journal.

I have one poster that were presented in two national conferences and this is the one from the campus journal. All off campus

I have another conference where I presented 3 different posters (my name is on 3 posters), offcampus.
Abstracts are NOT pubmed searchable.

Basically:

Topics 1: 1 publication in campus journal and 2 offcampus presentations
Topic 2: 3 presentations in one conference off-campus
Topic 3: 2 presentations off campus (same lab but different data presented)
Topics 4: 1 publication, no presentations
Each set of data/topic should be listed under the most prestigious way in which you shared the data with the world.

Topic 4: A regional or national journal publication gets its own space with a formal citation. Presumably, it's PubMed searchable.
Topic 3: You can list each presentation on its own, or group them if space is tight since they're from the same lab.
Topic 2: List it once, as it was the same data.
Topic 1: List it under the most prestigious of the two off campus presentations, describing the second presentation in the narrative with the date, place, conference name. The campus publication can be mentioned in the same space, or at the end of the associated Research entry.

If absolutely essential due to space limitations, 1,2, & 3 could be merged, but this is not ideal, as you want to emphasize a strength in your application. If they still don't fit, prune further and take out the minor projects, or mention some in the associated Research description.

Each set of data/topic should be listed under the most prestigious way in which you shared the data with the world.

Topic 4: A regional or national journal publication gets its own space with a formal citation. Presumably, it's PubMed searchable.
Topic 3: You can list each presentation on its own, or group them if space is tight since they're from the same lab.
Topic 2: List it once, as it was the same data.
Topic 1: List it under the most prestigious of the two off campus presentations, describing the second presentation in the narrative with the date, place, conference name. The campus publication can be mentioned in the same space, or at the end of the associated Research entry.

If absolutely essential due to space limitations, 1,2, & 3 could be merged, but this is not ideal, as you want to emphasize a strength in your application. If they still don't fit, prune further and take out the minor projects, or mention some in the associated Research description.

I have a national journal but it is not searchable in pubmed, it is the Journal of Macromolecular Sciences. Organic Chem pub.

Topic 2 was 3 presentations, 3 diferent posters but all in the same conference.

THANKS for all your help!

I shadowed a cohort of internists (2 interns, 1 PGY-3, and an attending) and have a few questions on what to include/not include and in what detail.

1) The PGY-3 gave me access to her hospital account to look at patient lab work, x-rays, CT, and MRI's and walked me through a bunch of the diagnoses, treatments etc... It was a very valuable experience for me but I'm not sure if access to privileged info like that would be looked down upon.

2) They included me in absolutely everything: paper work, rounds, department conferences, conferences for applicants to the residency, basic procedures (upper GI scope), meetings with the attending going over treatment plans/diagnoses etc... Every bit of it was a learning experience but are there some things that I should leave out?

3) If interaction with a specific patient had a significant impact on my health-care goals, what information about the patient can/can't I include? I'm not stupid so wouldn't include name, location, time but what about diagnosis, family dynamics, life-style choice?

Thanks!

1) I have a national journal but it is not searchable in pubmed, it is the Journal of Macromolecular Sciences. Organic Chem pub.

2) Topic 2 was 3 presentations, 3 diferent posters but all in the same conference.
1) If it is some other on-line database, mention that. If in none, mention the fact.

2) Then the title of each of the three posters should be cited (as if you weren't already space challenged enough).

I shadowed a cohort of internists (2 interns, 1 PGY-3, and an attending) and have a few questions on what to include/not include and in what detail.

1) The PGY-3 gave me access to her hospital account to look at patient lab work, x-rays, CT, and MRI's and walked me through a bunch of the diagnoses, treatments etc... It was a very valuable experience for me but I'm not sure if access to privileged info like that would be looked down upon.

2) They included me in absolutely everything: paper work, rounds, department conferences, conferences for applicants to the residency, basic procedures (upper GI scope), meetings with the attending going over treatment plans/diagnoses etc... Every bit of it was a learning experience but are there some things that I should leave out?

3) If interaction with a specific patient had a significant impact on my health-care goals, what information about the patient can/can't I include? I'm not stupid so wouldn't include name, location, time but what about diagnosis, family dynamics, life-style choice?

Thanks!
1. Looking over the resident's shoulder is fine but I wouldn't include that you had full access whenever you wanted if that's what you mean
2. That's fine as long as you were observing
3. Don't be so specific that someone could identify the patient. As long as no one could ID the patient, then you're fine. Some people include misleading information just for added measure

I'm not sure how I should list this. I have some community service, some leadership, and some sports for this activity

I'm the founding father of a fraternity
was the pledge class treasurer, athletics chair, community service chair
helped plan and execute philanthropic event that raised over $1000 to the Fisher House Foundation
did community service (beach cleanups, community cleanups, lots of cleanups)
helped coach sorority in their basketball league
participated in IFC sports (basketball, soccer, etc)

Also, for paid employment I had two jobs but would like to put them into one box
what should I put in the contact information?

thanks for the help

Last edited:
I am going to be a camp counselor at John Marc this summer. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can go ahead and put what I expect to do at the experience correct?

I will be going June 9-15th and want to submit AMCAS/TMDSAS before then. Thanks!

a question concerning mentioning non-relevant work experience. the summer after my first year in college, i worked at a tanning bed while taking classes. should i mention this even though tanning is heavily frowned upon, especially by health care professionals?

1) I'm not sure how I should list this. I have some community service, some leadership, and some sports for this activity

I'm the founding father of a fraternity
was the pledge class treasurer, athletics chair, community service chair
helped plan and execute philanthropic event that raised over $1000 to the Fisher House Foundation
did community service (beach cleanups, community cleanups, lots of cleanups)
helped coach sorority in their basketball league
participated in IFC sports (basketball, soccer, etc)

2) Also, for paid employment I had two jobs but would like to put them into one box
what should I put in the contact information?
1) You could list all the activities under the umbrella of Fraternity Activities, or you could split them out and group them various ways. Since this was a source of strong leadership for you, I suggest you put all the leadership-related activities together in one space to emphasize them, under Leadership. The volunteer activities may also be strong enough to stand on their own under Community Service-nonMedical. The sports could be grouped with all your Hobbies. The coaching could go under Teaching.

2) Pick the most recent and use that for the header information, including the date span and contact. In the narrative give all the same information about the second job, including a contact. Name it something that encompasses both, like Summer Employment, or Short-Term Jobs.

Will I be at a disadvantage if I left off the dean's list? I don't have any other awards or distinctions that I can remember, but I don't really consider that to be highly prestigious. I think the cutoff was like a 3.0 for any semester. Plus I have other stuff that might fill my ec slots. So, any harm in leaving it off?

I am going to be a camp counselor at John Marc this summer. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can go ahead and put what I expect to do at the experience correct?

I will be going June 9-15th and want to submit AMCAS/TMDSAS before then. Thanks!
For AMCAS, entering a future activity isn't encouraged, but seeing as the activity starts in June you would be able to list it as if you'd begun (a strategy pointed out by Lizzy M in the past). You'll have to decide: List it (and hope nothing interferes with starting the activity: yes we've seen folks do this and then break a leg), wait until June 9 to submit, or save it for a future update letter or Secondary question.

I have heard TMDSAS isn't fussy and doesn't object to future plans, but have no personal experience with it.

Last edited:
a question concerning mentioning non-relevant work experience. the summer after my first year in college, i worked at a tanning bed while taking classes. should i mention this even though tanning is heavily frowned upon, especially by health care professionals?
You can mention it. One is allowed to be ignorant when young. If you are sensitive about it, call it a Spa instead of a Tanning Salon, or somesuch.

Will I be at a disadvantage if I left off the dean's list? I don't have any other awards or distinctions that I can remember, but I don't really consider that to be highly prestigious. I think the cutoff was like a 3.0 for any semester. Plus I have other stuff that might fill my ec slots. So, any harm in leaving it off?
Considering that the criteria for Dean's List vary so widely, the designation is meaningless. And your grades are quite evident elsewhere on the application. No one will care if you leave it off.

3. Don't be so specific that someone could identify the patient. As long as no one could ID the patient, then you're fine. Some people include misleading information just for added measure
This is a hugely sensitive area. Go out of your way to change descriptors (age, race), including the initials, and make it clear the person's ID is being masked by saying, "the patient, whom we'll refer to as John D." Just keep the meat of what makes the tale relevant. A horror story has been told of an adcomm who recognized very-personal information about someone who was a family member from a too-specific description.

hi, does anyone know how the whole application is presented to ADCOM? Do they read the Activities section first before reading the Personal Statement? If this is the case, then can I just use acronyms of organizations instead of the whole name in my PS?

I have a question about the two sections: conferences attended and presentations/posters

What if I attended 4 conferences but I've only presented 2 posters so far (each of my posters was presented at two conferences)?
Should I list that I attended 4 conferences in the conferences category, and then in the poster category mention that I've presented two posters?

Thanks!

I want to put down marathon running in the "extracurricular" category, but I'm a little unsure if this is something noteworthy enough that I should take up a whole spot for it. any thoughts? a lot of people run marathons...

and if I were to put it in there, what do I do about the Contact/information stuff? I'm not in a club and I train alone

Status
Not open for further replies.