*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Few questions for the experienced:
(I have spent many late hours scrolling through this thread to find many of my answers - and MAN has my Activities list changed)
1. Research Lab Position at Drug Discovery Company (740hr) -- Research
2. Apple Genius Bar Technician (950hr) -- Non Med Employment
3. Gourmet Cupcake Baker Running Singer (9999 hr) -- Hobbies
--?a - How should I title this? I want it to be a hobby that helps me stand out, but that seems mildly professional?
--?b - If running is the theme of my personal statement should i include it in my hobbies?​
4. Africa - Medical Technician (330hr) -- ComServ Med
5. Shadow (5 different physicians) (100hr) -- Physician Shadow
6. Africa - Teacher (different program entirely) (150hr) -- ComServ NonMed
7. Preschool Teacher (100hr) -- ComServ NonMed
8. TA (230hr) -- Teaching/Tutoring
9. ER Triage CNA (45hr) -- ComServ Med
10. Student Research (220hr) -- Research
--?c - gave a poster/presentation - include here?​
11. Vice President Club A / Historian Club B / Senior Mentor Club C (100hr) -- Leadership
--?d - Is it ok to have 3 different clubs that I held leadership positions in in the same slot?
--?e - How should I title it?​
12. Chem Lab Manager (120hr) -- Paid Employ. NonMed

--?f - Do you think it matters whether I put that I will be continuing my current positions through next June/July/August? Ok to just say until now?
--?g - Should hobbies have an end date?
--?h - Is it bad to have mentions of MM in PS, or should try to avoid altogether in PS?

Hello,

My most recent employment had two aspects - clinical and non-clinical portions. About 1/4 of the time was spent in hospitals with patients. The remaining time was not. Is it appropriate to break the employment down into two categories?

Members don't see this ad :)
Few questions for the experienced:
(I have spent many late hours scrolling through this thread to find many of my answers - and MAN has my Activities list changed)
1. Research Lab Position at Drug Discovery Company (740hr) -- Research
2. Apple Genius Bar Technician (950hr) -- Non Med Employment
3. Gourmet Cupcake Baker Running Singer (9999 hr) -- Hobbies
--?a - How should I title this? I want it to be a hobby that helps me stand out, but that seems mildly professional?
--?b - If running is the theme of my personal statement should i include it in my hobbies?​
4. Africa - Medical Technician (330hr) -- ComServ Med
5. Shadow (5 different physicians) (100hr) -- Physician Shadow
6. Africa - Teacher (different program entirely) (150hr) -- ComServ NonMed
7. Preschool Teacher (100hr) -- ComServ NonMed
8. TA (230hr) -- Teaching/Tutoring
9. ER Triage CNA (45hr) -- ComServ Med
10. Student Research (220hr) -- Research
--?c - gave a poster/presentation - include here?​
11. Vice President Club A / Historian Club B / Senior Mentor Club C (100hr) -- Leadership
--?d - Is it ok to have 3 different clubs that I held leadership positions in in the same slot?
--?e - How should I title it?​
12. Chem Lab Manager (120hr) -- Paid Employ. NonMed

--?f - Do you think it matters whether I put that I will be continuing my current positions through next June/July/August? Ok to just say until now?
--?g - Should hobbies have an end date?
--?h - Is it bad to have mentions of MM in PS, or should try to avoid altogether in PS?
To answer your questions:
3a) Leisure-time Activities, but make the ending of the three descriptors match, like "Baking, Running, Singing. I would hope that you'll expand on the baking enough to engage readers' memories of tastebud delights. If you race, what distance? Describe your preferred music and range. Do your best to create common ground.
3b) Yes.

4) Be sure you don't mention any activities you aren't certified or trained to perform in the US, lest it reflect negatively.

10c) If the poster presentation took place at a campus event, include it in the affiliated Research space.

11d) Yes. 11e) Leadership Positions in Campus Organizations. See if you can fit the titles in the name space (~65 characters).

f) It's up to you. Past applicants have done it either way. If completing projected hours over the next year isn't a sure thing, you can just say at the end of the narrative, that you intend to continue during the next academic year, without specifying hours.
g) Aug 2018 is the latest you are allowed to enter.
h) It's fine to mention an activity in both locations. And each essay should be able to stand alone. Often it's desirable so that more information can be provided than is customary in one location or the other. And you can't assume the same person will screen both areas of the application.

My most recent employment had two aspects - clinical and non-clinical portions. About 1/4 of the time was spent in hospitals with patients. The remaining time was not. Is it appropriate to break the employment down into two categories?
Assuming there are a decent number of hours for each component, yes, use two spaces, each with their individual hours. It's fine to guess-timate based on a percentage of the known total hours, if you're not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
@CatalystikI included a work section for my current job (gap year right now) but did talk about the ones I worked during undergrad.

Would you still recommend including those in the section? I have like ~150 characters left after discussing my current job. Any tips on this?
Whether you group jobs or give them their own space depends on how many slots are left, how much space you need for description and impact (if the job title and role aren't self-evident), and how much you want to highlight the position by setting it out on its own with a unique name. So whatever choice you make, will be fine.

Whether you group jobs or give them their own space depends on how many slots are left, how much space you need for description and impact (if the job title and role aren't self-evident), and how much you want to highlight the position by setting it out on its own with a unique name. So whatever choice you make, will be fine.

Would the undergraduate jobs be better served as being brought up in the secondaries?

I'm assuming you are referring to required curricular clinical rotations prior to getting the nursing degree and that these rotations will appear on your AMCAS transcript.

The best tag to use is "Other" as you suggested, as this is not employment or volunteerism. You don't need to specify the placement locations, as all took place through the nursing school and can use the same contact (eg, nursing school rotations director or registrar). All the placements can be put in the same space. Adcomms would have a pretty clear idea on the likely departments you cycled through, so name them or not depending on the space you have (nting that making the activity Most Meaningful would be a way to get more characters), or if some of them were more unusual. If one of the rotations stood out in particular and resulted on major insights, you can list it on its own or even make it Most Meaningful instead.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Hey Catalystik, thanks for your response + advice. Just to get your follow up opinion then -

(1) Make my "Clinical Nursing Experience" one entry make the first 700 chars to talk about the placements in general and then make it an MM where I would speak about one of the most meaningful placements I worked in

(2) Make one entry "General Clinical Nursing Experience" for 700 chars, then a separate entry "Clinical Nursing Experience - Sickle Cell Outpatient Clinic" as an MM to get 700 + 1325? - Or would this approach just seem too filler-ish?

Also...one of my entries is about my job as a lifeguard that I had in high school. I know that the overwhelming opinion on sdn is to leave out high school stuff unless you continued it during college however, I truly feel like this experience helped shape my growing motivation to pursue medicine and feel I do a excellent job of articulating why that was. Would this be an automatic "eye-roller" for adcoms?

PS - I think you're absolutely awesome

Last edited:
Cross-Referencing From Activities to Personal Statement
I have one activity that was absolutely the catalyst for changing careers into medicine and it is the central thread of my personal statement, but I'm going to reserve the Most Meaningful spaces for other activities. For people reading only the Activities section, should I say anything like, "as detailed in my personal statement" or would that be assumed? I'm saying different but hopefully complimentary things about this activity in each place. (Sorry if this question is a duplicate; I read the whole thread but don't remember seeing it.)

Cross-Referencing From Activities to Personal Statement
I have one activity that was absolutely the catalyst for changing careers into medicine and it is the central thread of my personal statement, but I'm going to reserve the Most Meaningful spaces for other activities. For people reading only the Activities section, should I say anything like, "as detailed in my personal statement" or would that be assumed? I'm saying different but hopefully complimentary things about this activity in each place. (Sorry if this question is a duplicate; I read the whole thread but don't remember seeing it.)
Please try not to cross-reference. At most say, "as described elsewhere."

It can't be assumed that the same reader will have access to both the PS and the Activities section, so each needs to stand alone.

A) Hey Catalystik, thanks for your response + advice. Just to get your follow up opinion then -

(1) Make my "Clinical Nursing Experience" one entry make the first 700 chars to talk about the placements in general and then make it an MM where I would speak about one of the most meaningful placements I worked in

(2) Make one entry "General Clinical Nursing Experience" for 700 chars, then a separate entry "Clinical Nursing Experience - Sickle Cell Outpatient Clinic" as an MM to get 700 + 1325? - Or would this approach just seem too filler-ish?

B) Also...one of my entries is about my job as a lifeguard that I had in high school. I know that the overwhelming opinion on sdn is to leave out high school stuff unless you continued it during college however, I truly feel like this experience helped shape my growing motivation to pursue medicine and feel I do a excellent job of articulating why that was. Would this be an automatic "eye-roller" for adcoms?
A) Either do #2, or expand the MM content to cover all the rotations for #1. For #2, it won't be too "fillerish" if you don't feel compelled to use the entire space after you've already said all that needs to be said.

B) You are the best judge about what will make your application compelling, and there's no rule about excluding HS activities, but consider mentioning this experience as part of the PS, rather than in the Activities section.

Last edited:
A) Either do #2, or expand the MM content to cover all the rotations for #1. For #2, it won't be too "fillerish" if you don't feel compelled to use the entire space after you've already said all that needs to be said.

2) You are the best judge about what will make your application compelling, and there's no rule about excluding HS activities, but consider mentioning this experience as part of the PS, rather than in the Activities section.

Thanks for your reply Catalystik

A) To clarify then, say I completed 1100 clinical hours total but 350 of those hours were at the Clinic placement (which I'll be using as an MM). For General Clinical Nursing Experience then my hours should be reduced to 750 hours so as to not double count the hours?

2) Interesting that you suggest mentioning it in my PS instead as I have already done this. I wanted, however, to address my lifeguarding experience from a different angle in the work/activities section so as to avoid overlap.

Also, what is your opinion on using anecdotes for non-MM activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
A) To clarify then, say I completed 1100 clinical hours total but 350 of those hours were at the Clinic placement (which I'll be using as an MM). For General Clinical Nursing Experience then my hours should be reduced to 750 hours so as to not double count the hours?

B) (Sorry I mistyped a 2 earlier)Interesting that you suggest mentioning it in my PS instead as I have already done this. I wanted, however, to address my lifeguarding experience from a different angle in the work/activities section so as to avoid overlap.

C) Also, what is your opinion on using anecdotes for non-MM activities?
A) Correct.

B) Description, training, & role, commonly placed in an Activities section, would probably (for a lifeguard) be assumed by adcomms, so might not be worth including. What else did you put in the 700 character narrative? Impact, insights, future direction and anecdotes are also suitable for the PS space.

C) If you have the space, "show rather than tell" with an anecdote is always an option that makes a space more interesting (IMO).

A) Correct.

B) Description, training, & role, commonly placed in an Activities section, would probably (for a lifeguard) be assumed by adcomms, so might not be worth including. What else did you put in the 700 character narrative? Impact, insights, future direction and anecdotes are also suitable for the PS space.

C) If you have the space, "show rather than tell" with an anecdote is always an option that makes a space more interesting (IMO).

B) Hmm. I was approaching the Work/Activities section in the following manner: (1) for non-MM activities, describe the activity, impact that was made, lessons learned (2) for MM activities, for the 700 char box do the same as above, for the 1325 box include further reflection, how the activities helped me grow as a person, how it relates to medicine.

Thus to answer your question with regards to lifeguarding (non-MM), I did more than what was expected of me so I think it merits more description + include the impact that had on pool patrons/co-workers + what I learned.

^ Is the above approach over-doing it?

B) Hmm. I was approaching the Work/Activities section in the following manner: (1) for non-MM activities, describe the activity, impact that was made, lessons learned (2) for MM activities, for the 700 char box do the same as above, for the 1325 box include further reflection, how the activities helped me grow as a person, how it relates to medicine.

Thus to answer your question with regards to lifeguarding (non-MM), I did more than what was expected of me so I think it merits more description + include the impact that had on pool patrons/co-workers + what I learned.

^ Is the above approach over-doing it?
Have you asked a trusted advisor/English teacher/person-in-the-know at your school to look over your entries? That might be the best way to judge the impact of your story on future readers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to list a fraternity experience? I listed it as just a one year thing (president year) even though I was in it for four years. I held other positions throughout the four years that I could include. Thank you!

Can I list research if I it was done for credit? On my transcript it is listed as "Life Sciences Research". I began working in the lab during the summer before the academic year (so not for credit).

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to list a fraternity experience? I listed it as just a one year thing (president year) even though I was in it for four years. I held other positions throughout the four years that I could include. Thank you!

I have the same question for sorority experience! I was a member for 3.5 years and our philanthropy was very important to me (a local domestic violence shelter) so I would like to be able to list this as a volunteer experience

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to list a fraternity experience? I listed it as just a one year thing (president year) even though I was in it for four years. I held other positions throughout the four years that I could include.
If you want to list it as Leadership, you could include all the years where you held office (using the Repeated feature if this was just for the academic year and not year-round) and call it maybe, Leadership Roles with XXX Fraternity, giving just the dates of leadership in the header and those dedicated hours. You could refer to the membership in the narrative, if you like, but would not add those hours.

If you want to speak more widely about general frat membership and include leadership among those comments, you'd instead use the tag Extracurricular, or Other (and could include community service if that was a part of the experience, or alternatively, split it out with its own hours into a Community Service-tagged space).

I have the same question for sorority experience! I was a member for 3.5 years and our philanthropy was very important to me (a local domestic violence shelter) so I would like to be able to list this as a volunteer experience
If you want to list it as Community Service, you could include all the years where you gave time to your cause (using the Repeated feature if this was just for the academic year and not year-round) and call it maybe, Philanthropic Involvement with XXX Sorority, giving just the dates of volunteerism in the header and those dedicated hours. You could refer to the membership in the narrative, if you like, but would not add those hours.

If you want to speak more widely about general sorority membership and include philanthropy among those comments, you'd instead use the tag Extracurricular, or Other (and could include leadership roles with that, or alternatively, split them out with their own hours into a Leadership-tagged space).

Can I list research if I it was done for credit? On my transcript it is listed as "Life Sciences Research". I began working in the lab during the summer before the academic year (so not for credit).
Yes. If it was in the same lab, list it all in the same space, but note the transition from paid to volunteer in the narrative.

Should EMT certification be listed if I did not actually use my certification? I was unable to use it because the organization at my University required a two year commitment and I would have only been able to serve one year before going abroad.

Should EMT certification be listed if I did not actually use my certification? I was unable to use it because the organization at my University required a two year commitment and I would have only been able to serve one year before going abroad.
Sorry, but No. If you never used it in a position, it won't help you. If a new activity comes along that qualifies, you might include both facts in your Secondary or Update Letter narratives, though.

Sorry, but No. If you never used it in a position, it won't help you. If a new activity comes along that qualifies, you might include both facts in your Secondary or Update Letter narratives, though.

Thank you! I am starting a scribe position on June 19th and will receive my MCAT results the following day. Would it be more beneficial to submit my application the day I receive my results (assuming all goes well!) or should I wait until the end of the month so that I can list the scribe experience in my application?

Thank you! I am starting a scribe position on June 19th and will receive my MCAT results the following day. Would it be more beneficial to submit my application the day I receive my results (assuming all goes well!) or should I wait until the end of the month so that I can list the scribe experience in my application?
From our exchanges, I don't have enough of a feel for your overall application to judge. If your clinical experience is solid already and you are confident of your MCAT score, why not submit sooner and save the new position for Secondaries?

If you have a WAMC post you can direct me to, you might tag me from there.

It can't be assumed that the same reader will have access to both the PS and the Activities section, so each needs to stand alone.
Thank you @Catalystik! I should have made my question more clear. Each will definitely stand alone. I am just wondering if I should emphasize how meaningful this activity was, even though I'm not tagging it as an MM, by noting that it makes up most of my personal statement (or something like that). In other words, do I need to explain why I am not tagging this very meaningful activity as an MM?

Last edited:
15. How far back should I go listing activities?
Any activity you engaged in after High School graduation may be considered potentially relevant. Strictly speaking, there is no rule that you can't include a High School-only activity, but if you do so, it should add substantially to your application, so you aren't wasting space for something that adcomms are unlikely to regard. This would include Experiences that began during HS (or even before) and either continued into the college years or resumed sometime later. Examples of life-long activities that might help your application would be music or dance involvement.

I won first place at a medical school research day in the undergraduate division, but I was in high school. Should I add it? If so, then do I need to add the summer research experience, too, or could I just mention it in the description? I already have some other research, but this one is my only award, and I think it would add to my application--especially because the research day and research itself were both at the medical school I want to go to.

Significant student org experience question:

I have over three years and 2,000+ hours in a single service/leadership fraternity, during which I have been a general member, service VP, and president. Currently I have my membership under non-clinical volunteer and my leadership positions under leadership. I explained my requirements in the positions and leadership roles, however I did not explain my actual volunteering experience. Would you recommend I add an additional "Service Fraternity Related Volunteer" section? Under it I would list all of the service I was involved in through the fraternity (Ronald McDonald House, Relay for Life, soup kitchen, baby formula drive, etc.). Or will this just be viewed as BS?

I feel my other EC's are lacking because I have spent so much time in this org and working as a scribe.

Thank you @Catalystik! I should have made my question more clear. Each will definitely stand alone. I am just wondering if I should emphasize how meaningful this activity was, even though I'm not tagging it as an MM, by noting that it makes up most of my personal statement (or something like that). In other words, do I need to explain why I am not tagging this very meaningful activity as an MM?
No. It's no problem to not make an activity MM, even though you've emphasized its importance within 700 characters (whether the screener or adcomm knows about the PS, or not).

I won first place at a medical school research day in the undergraduate division, but I was in high school.
1) Should I add it?
2) If so, then do I need to add the summer research experience, too, or could I just mention it in the description? I already have some other research, but this one is my only award, and I think it would add to my application--especially because the research day and research itself were both at the medical school I want to go to.
1) Since you also participated in research during college, you can add it, with the below caveat:

2) You would be better served to list the research and the first place award under a Research tag, but mention the poster and award in the name you give the activity (eg, Starfish Regeneration Project with First Place Poster Award. It's fine if the research description is bare bones, since it took place awhile back. If you instead list it under Awards or Presentations/Posters, you will highlight that you had no further evidence of research productivity at the college level.

***If you had no college-level research, I'd have advised leaving it off the application, as the HS experience is of value only in showing your forward momentum in developing research skills.

Significant student org experience question:

I have over three years and 2,000+ hours in a single service/leadership fraternity, during which I have been a general member, service VP, and president. Currently I have my membership under non-clinical volunteer and my leadership positions under leadership. I explained my requirements in the positions and leadership roles, however I did not explain my actual volunteering experience. Would you recommend I add an additional "Service Fraternity Related Volunteer" section? Under it I would list all of the service I was involved in through the fraternity (Ronald McDonald House, Relay for Life, soup kitchen, baby formula drive, etc.). Or will this just be viewed as BS?

I feel my other EC's are lacking because I have spent so much time in this org and working as a scribe.
Why is your general membership under a Volunteer tag and not Extracurricular? The volunteer space should describe only the volunteer dates, and hours/organizations you gave time to, not time in general meetings and such. I must not be understanding, as it's not clear to me why you would then add a second service space for the same group. Please explain.

Note well also, (in case you did differently) that the Leadership space should give only dates, hours, and description for the leadership roles, with a bit of background explanation.

Why is your general membership under a Volunteer tag and not Extracurricular? The volunteer space should describe only the volunteer dates, and hours/organizations you gave time to, not time in general meetings and such. I must not be understanding, as it's not clear to me why you would then add a second service space for the same group. Please explain.

Note well also, (in case you did differently) that the Leadership space should give only dates, hours, and description for the leadership roles, with a bit of background explanation.

Thank you for your quick response, I can't believe I didn't realize this. I was initially thinking that because it is a service fraternity my general member hours would count as non-clinical volunteer (we are required to do 20 hours, I did much more). But you are right to add it under Extracurricular because I also attended weekly meetings and leadership workshops that were not part of the service aspect. So if I'm understanding you correctly my EC's should be listed as follows:

1. Member of X Fraternity (Extracurricular) - weekly meetings, leadership workshops, fellowships
2. VP of Service of X Fraternity (Leadership) - time spent in leadership duties and coordinating/organizing service events excluding actual volunteer hours and basic membership requirements
3. President of X Fraternity (Leadership) - time spent doing presidential duties excluding volunteer and basic membership requirements
4. Volunteer within X Fraternity (Non-Clinical Volunteer) - time spent actively volunteering for all 3 years of membership

Thank you for your quick response, I can't believe I didn't realize this. I was initially thinking that because it is a service fraternity my general member hours would count as non-clinical volunteer (we are required to do 20 hours, I did much more). But you are right to add it under Extracurricular because I also attended weekly meetings and leadership workshops that were not part of the service aspect. So if I'm understanding you correctly my EC's should be listed as follows:

1. Member of X Fraternity (Extracurricular) - weekly meetings, leadership workshops, fellowships
2. VP of Service of X Fraternity (Leadership) - time spent in leadership duties and coordinating/organizing service events excluding actual volunteer hours and basic membership requirements
3. President of X Fraternity (Leadership) - time spent doing presidential duties excluding volunteer and basic membership requirements
4. Volunteer within X Fraternity (Non-Clinical Volunteer) - time spent actively volunteering for all 3 years of membership
1) Yes.
2) & 3) Could you consolidate these two items into one space? Possibly an MM space, if necessary, so you have enough room for description, reflection, impact, etc? Of course, you can use two spaces if you really need to, but take care it doesn't look "fluffed up."
4) Yes, and it's fine to specify the causes you care most about, say ~3-5, and vaguely referring to the rest if there are a lot of them.

1) Yes.
2) & 3) Could you consolidate these two items into one space? Possibly an MM space, if necessary, so you have enough room for description, reflection, impact, etc? Of course, you can use two spaces if you really need to, but take care it doesn't look "fluffed up."
4) Yes, and it's fine to specify the causes you care most about, say ~3-5, and vaguely referring to the rest if there are a lot of them.

I put a lot of thought into consolidating the leadership positions but felt it would be better to separate them because I had very different experiences in each.

For the general membership section would it be appropriate to say something like "this organization also requires 20 hours of service to the community each semester which have been listed under section Y"

I've been playing the Ukulele for about two years now, self taught. It's great stress relief and a fun way to get my brain working outside of studying. I was thinking about listing this as a hobby. What should I put as the "Experience Name"? Not sure why I am having so much trouble with this. "Ukulele Player"? "Instrument Player"? Lol idk any advice would be appreciated.
Also, I don't plan on quitting like ever, so what should I put as the end date?

I put a lot of thought into consolidating the leadership positions but felt it would be better to separate them because I had very different experiences in each.

For the general membership section would it be appropriate to say something like "this organization also requires 20 hours of service to the community each semester which have been listed under section Y"
It's best not to refer to other sections specifically, but you could say, ". . . listed elsewhere." Each entry should stand on its own as much as possible.

I've been playing the Ukulele for about two years now, self taught. It's great stress relief and a fun way to get my brain working outside of studying. I was thinking about listing this as a hobby. 1) What should I put as the "Experience Name"? Not sure why I am having so much trouble with this. "Ukulele Player"? "Instrument Player"? Lol idk any advice would be appreciated.

2) Also, I don't plan on quitting like ever, so what should I put as the end date?
1) Ukulele Enthusiast.

2) The last permitted date is August 2018. Be sure to distinguish completed vs future estimates of hours.

I have 3 research experiences, all warranting separate entries. Two of them are "most meaningful," (2 and 3) but one of them, my full time job for the past year, is by far the most meaningful of all my activities. Basically my research experience is as follows:
  1. Summer in one lab- 300hrs
  2. Summer in another lab-400hrs plus first author pub
  3. Technician/Lab manager- 2500hrs, multiple second author abstracts, soon to be submission for second author pub (I know not relevant unless accepted).

My most meaningful description for number 2 focuses more on how I learned about research etc. basically how it made me more interested in research and medicine and why it is meaningful. For 3, since I am also a lab manager, I was planning on explaining my research duties in the 700 character box and using the extra 1300 characters to say it's meaningful since I became very independent, self-sufficient, efficient, good at teaching/helping others, became better at time management, etc. Basically I'm emphasizing all "non-research" characteristics of a research position- is this okay to do? Or will it look weird if I barely mention the research part of this position in why its most meaningful?

Is a most meaningful experience where I had no impact on others, but lots of personal growth, a not so great one? I noticed that the instructions mention both impact and personal growth.

I have 3 research experiences, all warranting separate entries. Two of them are "most meaningful," (2 and 3) but one of them, my full time job for the past year, is by far the most meaningful of all my activities. Basically my research experience is as follows:
  1. Summer in one lab- 300hrs
  2. Summer in another lab-400hrs plus first author pub
  3. Technician/Lab manager- 2500hrs, multiple second author abstracts, soon to be submission for second author pub (I know not relevant unless accepted).

My most meaningful description for number 2 focuses more on how I learned about research etc. basically how it made me more interested in research and medicine and why it is meaningful. For 3, since I am also a lab manager, I was planning on explaining my research duties in the 700 character box and using the extra 1300 characters to say it's meaningful since I became very independent, self-sufficient, efficient, good at teaching/helping others, became better at time management, etc.
1) Basically I'm emphasizing all "non-research" characteristics of a research position- is this okay to do?
2) Or will it look weird if I barely mention the research part of this position in why its most meaningful?
1) Yes, absolutely.
2) It depends on the types of schools you are aiming for: are you a good candidate for highly-selective, research-focused schools? If you're going top-twenty or so, or MD/PhD it might "look weird" not to mention research in a Research MM. For all else, you're good to go.

Is a most meaningful experience where I had no impact on others, but lots of personal growth, a not so great one? I noticed that the instructions mention both impact and personal growth.
I don't take "impact" to necessarily mean impact on those around you, but rather primarily (in my mind) impact on you.

If I'm including my scholarships/awards what am I writing under contacts name and number? Also, what am i supposed to fill for hours and start date. Thank you.

If I'm including my scholarships/awards what am I writing under
1) contacts name and number?
2) Also, what am i supposed to fill for hours and
3) start date.
1) Your College Registrar.
2) The time you spent sitting at awards ceremonies to get them. Or a zero.
3) The date you got the last one, by which time all of them had been received. Or graduation date.

I'm debating whether or not to include a educational, classroom-based program. The program is called Clinical Training Program by the Academy of Medical and Public Health Services. The curriculum focused on public health, clinical research, and provided AHA ACLS/BLS certifications. There was no patient interaction or anything. Upon completion, the academy provided a certificate of completion and 4 AHA certifications. Students also had to do a final written research paper on a public health topic but it was more of an independent research paper for a grade where students go out to interview community folks or read Up on literaure. I also never put the AHA certifications into use.

1. Should I include this program in general? It had no clinical exposure or service work. My major is Public Health so im not sure if this program will be a complementary component or an uneccessary app filler.

2. Do I mention the research even though it was more of a case project than legitimate research?

3. Should I leave the AHA certifications out?

Last edited:
I'm debating whether or not to include a educational, classroom-based program. The program taught public health, clinicalresearch, and provided AHA ACLS/BLS certifications. There was no patient interaction or anything. The Academy that pro
Are you going to complete that sentence? Click the edit button you'll see at the bottom of the post and try again. Then save it.

I'm debating whether or not to include a educational, classroom-based program. The program is called Clinical Training Program by the Academy of Medical and Public Health Services. The curriculum focused on public health, clinical research, and provided AHA ACLS/BLS certifications. There was no patient interaction or anything. Upon completion, the academy provided a certificate of completion and 4 AHA certifications. Students also had to do a final written research paper on a public health topic but it was more of an independent research paper for a grade where students go out to interview community folks or read Up on literaure. I also never put the AHA certifications into use.

1. Should I include this program in general? It had no clinical exposure or service work. My major is Public Health so im not sure if this program will be a complementary component or an uneccessary app filler.

2. Do I mention the research even though it was more of a case project than legitimate research?

3. Should I leave the AHA certifications out?
1) Does it appear on your transcript? If so, then no. If not, convince me it benefits your application.

2) No. Don't include it unless it was original, hypothesis-driven research which added new knowledge and was potentially publishable.

3) Yes, leave them out. If you get a new position where you use those certificates, then you can mention them, say, on a Secondary or in a future Update Letter.

Is the credit load easy to overlook when a student takes 15-25 credits every semester? I did almost every semester, and I'm wondering if it's worth pointing this out in my personal statement or similar, or if it's so obvious that there's no need to point it out?

(If there is a more appropriate thread for this, please let me know. I couldn't find one and didn't think this question was worth starting it's own thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.