--~~::: Official: Creighton and UNMC thread for 2007 application cycle :::~~--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! I'm only at 2 weeks, and I was so hoping on a reply on the 3 week mark :(

I was really hoping to hear in 3 weeks, too... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads-up ... they definitely have made some decisions already on people interviewed in September. I interviewed the 29th and had recently sent them an e-mail asking when decisions would be made and was told that I had been waitlisted and that a letter was in the mail. So I think you should be hearing something soon in some form or another.

Ok, I haven't gotten anything from Creighton yet, since being completed back in late August. I have a 32Q and a 3.4 GPA and have already interviewed at GW. I thought I would get an interview from them. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads-up ... they definitely have made some decisions already on people interviewed in September. I interviewed the 29th and had recently sent them an e-mail asking when decisions would be made and was told that I had been waitlisted and that a letter was in the mail. So I think you should be hearing something soon in some form or another.

Oh geez...oh no....but oh good..really? Like Ive already said, I was a sep 29th interviewee too. The letter's in the mail????!!!!! Ahhhhh!!! I'm too afraid to email them. I'll wait for the letter...They didnt happen to mention WHEN the letters went into the mail did they? Like, "oh, we just mailed them yesterday" or something, did they? I guess I cant assume they took care of the letters for all the sept 29th people at the same time, but I guess I AM assuming that. I'm assuming my letter is in the mail....Before anyone else suggeests it, I'm also assuming I need a valium!!!!:scared:

Oh geez...oh no....but oh good..really? Like Ive already said, I was a sep 29th interviewee too. The letter's in the mail????!!!!! Ahhhhh!!! I'm too afraid to email them. I'll wait for the letter...They didnt happen to mention WHEN the letters went into the mail did they? Like, "oh, we just mailed them yesterday" or something, did they? I guess I cant assume they took care of the letters for all the sept 29th people at the same time, but I guess I AM assuming that. I'm assuming my letter is in the mail....Before anyone else suggeests it, I'm also assuming I need a valium!!!!:scared:

Hey Leiki. If you end up calling them (which I think you should before you lose your sanity), could you also ask them if they've made decisions on the Oct. 6th folks as well :D

They said yesterday that it should arrive in about five days (I live in STL) ... so I assume they sent them out yesterday or the day before. Hope this helps ...

it means for Omaha people that it may arrive today if I am WL'ed... :scared:

Should I even bother to pester them if I interviewed on the 13th (oct)?

spoke to them today and they said some acceptance were issued. When I checked my status she said, no decision has been made yet. At this point, I think it is probably a good thing.

Looks like there is the first official Creighton acceptance posted in the Accepted thread. No letter for me yet, still have not decided yet. Congrats Kadow!

I cracked. I wasn't going to, but I called... I just couldnt stand it anymore....but alas, no decision yet. Guess no news is good news...hell, even "waitlist" would have been sligtly better than that, but it does beat rejection. Either I get to spend a few more weeks of my life having an anxiety attack and oscillating between hope and despair....or I get to deal with the rejection a few weeks eariler. Probably this week isnt the best time for a rejection, very busy....probably better that I get rejected next week anyway.. Yes...Im a pessimist (realist, whatever)...so sue me.... I want to go to Creighton sooooo bad...Im probably jinxing the heck out of myself...I need a therapist...Oh wait, I have one of those....Ha ha kissing my sanity goodbye!!:p :scared: :eek:

I just got an acceptance packet in the mail today (which oddly was wide open). I interviewed 9/22, which was the second Friday that Creighton offered interviews (it was Creighton undergrads only that day).

Lemme know if you guys have any questions.

I cracked. I wasn't going to, but I called... I just couldnt stand it anymore....but alas, no decision yet. Guess no news is good news...hell, even "waitlist" would have been sligtly better than that, but it does beat rejection. Either I get to spend a few more weeks of my life having an anxiety attack and oscillating between hope and despair....or I get to deal with the rejection a few weeks eariler. Probably this week isnt the best time for a rejection, very busy....probably better that I get rejected next week anyway.. Yes...Im a pessimist (realist, whatever)...so sue me.... I want to go to Creighton sooooo bad...Im probably jinxing the heck out of myself...I need a therapist...Oh wait, I have one of those....Ha ha kissing my sanity goodbye!!:p :scared: :eek:

Oh my goodness. You're making me anxious! Just kidding...sort of. :oops: I really liked Creighton, too. The good news is that very few people get flat out rejected after the interview; most are waitlisted or accepted. Also, considering last year they got ~5,000 applications and interviewed only ~600, you've already passed the major hurdle! :D hope we all get good news from Creighton soon :love:

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow ... deep breaths ... what's a couple more days in the grand scheme of things? Also, I think worst-case you'll probably be waitlisted rather than rejected. They mentioned that they waitlist a lot of people, and if you got such an early interview, they obviously liked you a fair amount ... so just calm down a bit ... if possible ...

i think people who did not get waitlisted yet will probably get good news later.

Congrats to the acceptees of this week! I am hoping to hear something within next two weeks.

Dang it. Another person who interviewed several weeks after me just got a Creighton acceptance! What gives? Have they really just not looked at my file yet? I feel rejected. I think I've been rejected. At least one other person who interviewed same day as me was waitlisted, so why couldnt they have waitlisted me at the same time? Dont they go through files in order? I haven't liked any other school as much as this one...nuts...rats...dang ....dang dang....I have this theory that whenever they've made a decision that a file is a "reject" it just gets flung in to this big pile where some poor secretary has to get around to mailing out a rejection letter for each, but clearly, rejection letters aren't an urgent issue, so that gets done whenever she has a little down time. It could be mid december before I hear. I have this bad feeling...I dont need a letter...I already know ****sigh****....big dissapointed *sigh*....:( <--what they really need is a little smiley that's bawling its eyes out...that would be more appropo...

Dang it. Another person who interviewed several weeks after me just got a Creighton acceptance! What gives? Have they really just not looked at my file yet? I feel rejected. I think I've been rejected. At least one other person who interviewed same day as me was waitlisted, so why couldnt they have waitlisted me at the same time? Dont they go through files in order? I haven't liked any other school as much as this one...nuts...rats...dang ....dang dang....I have this theory that whenever they've made a decision that a file is a "reject" it just gets flung in to this big pile where some poor secretary has to get around to mailing out a rejection letter for each, but clearly, rejection letters aren't an urgent issue, so that gets done whenever she has a little down time. It could be mid december before I hear. I have this bad feeling...I dont need a letter...I already know ****sigh****....big dissapointed *sigh*....:( <--what they really need is a little smiley that's bawling its eyes out...that would be more appropo...

:( I'm sorry Leiki, I hope you aren't rejected. I think they might have grouped everyone from the first 3 interview dates together when going over files, so it may not matter that those who interviewed after you have gotten accepted. I wish you lots of luck! :luck: :luck:

I hope you hear some good news soon, Leiki :luck: did you call the school to figure out your decision? I think most of us called them and have not received anything in the mail.

Now, I need to look at the schools i'm waiting to hear from and see if I care to wait for them or not. I'm going to list info about the schools and compare them, possibly try to figure out some sort of personal ranking. I'm not sure exactly what I will use for this and how important I will make each factor (e.g., if i care about tuition or not). Some of the things I will use are location, tuition, curriculum, grading, student happiness, class size, clinical sites, competition level, matching (although i'm not sure how one compares this). i'm sure i'm missing a lot of things to look at, i'm not going to do this now, a bit later, probably tomorrow. Anyone have anything to add? Now the reason I'm saying this here, with Creighton being my acceptance thus far, and w/ others schools including UConn to still be decided, is there something I should know about the school or the area that I will not be able to find on the Creighton website or looking through old Creighton threads? Any inside info from the Creightoners?

Punkn, what is giving Creighton the edge for you over your state school? since this may be a situation for me, and at first glance the state school seems like the obvious choice, but i'm not going to say that w/o thinking about it and looking at everything like you are doing.

thanks, and good luck to those waiting to hear!!!! maybe we'll all end up at Creighton and can go get ourselves a nice omaha steak :D

I hope you hear some good news soon, Leiki :luck: did you call the school to figure out your decision? I think most of us called them and have not received anything in the mail.

Now, I need to look at the schools i'm waiting to hear from and see if I care to wait for them or not. I'm going to list info about the schools and compare them, possibly try to figure out some sort of personal ranking. I'm not sure exactly what I will use for this and how important I will make each factor (e.g., if i care about tuition or not). Some of the things I will use are location, tuition, curriculum, grading, student happiness, class size, clinical sites, competition level, matching (although i'm not sure how one compares this). i'm sure i'm missing a lot of things to look at, i'm not going to do this now, a bit later, probably tomorrow. Anyone have anything to add? Now the reason I'm saying this here, with Creighton being my acceptance thus far, and w/ others schools including UConn to still be decided, is there something I should know about the school or the area that I will not be able to find on the Creighton website or looking through old Creighton threads? Any inside info from the Creightoners?

Punkn, what is giving Creighton the edge for you over your state school? since this may be a situation for me, and at first glance the state school seems like the obvious choice, but i'm not going to say that w/o thinking about it and looking at everything like you are doing.

thanks, and good luck to those waiting to hear!!!! maybe we'll all end up at Creighton and can go get ourselves a nice omaha steak :D

Hey CP!
Creighton is getting the edge for several reasons.
1) The students seemed very happy and supportive of each other, not cutthroat competitive
2) Their organ based curriculum in 2nd year, essentially P/F grading
3) The smaller class size (IU has ~280 per class vs Creighton's ~125)
4)Their focus on graduating excellent clinical, compassionate physicians and the emphasis on helping the whole patient
5) 100% of students involved in community service
6) Lots of hands on learning 3rd/4th years
7) The facilities were very nice; I liked the integration of technology in the med student part of Criss Bldg. and the hospital

Also, IU's tuition is ~$25,000/year so it's not crazy cheap. It would make Creighton ~$60,000 more total over the 4 years (assuming identical living expenses and Omaha may be cheaper than Indy so it could be less than that). A physician I know told me that $60,000 won't seem like that much money when I get out in the world and while money shouldn't be irrelevant, medical school is really tough and you need all the enthusiasm for the school. etc. that you can muster to get you through. If you feel like you've "settled", it'll be that much harder. He said my pocketbook will take care of itself in a very short time and actually that many employers will offer to pay off my student loans as a part of my recruitment package (seriously? that would be awesome). So there's my long winded answer. :oops:
I'm a vegetarian so I wouldn't join you in the actual steak eating, but assuming I could find something on the menu to eat, I'd definitely come. ;)

Pukn.. Now you've done it :smuggrin: . You just made my decision that much harder. I had been pretty much set on VCU. I even withdrew all my other apps, except for Creighton, for some unexplained reason. During the interview day, Dr. Nipper talked about the 1/2 tuition and full tuition scholarships they award. Does anyone happen to know when they start awarding those or have they already to those "stellar" applicants? It'll probably be May 15 before I finalize my decision.

Wow, that's a lot of great info!!!! Thanks so much!!! UConn's tuition is also about $25K, I also thought about how it won't be much of a difference and that is one of the main reasons why I will really think about this. I'll have to look at all this again later, but thank so much! Of course you can come out and get something vegeterian! What would a SDN Creighton get together be like w/o Punkn!

VD-MD.....good luck with your decision, I'm glad you have to think about this decision some more :D I don't actually remember, but for some reason I felt that the scholarships come out some time next year. I'm probably making this up though.

Pukn.. Now you've done it :smuggrin: . You just made my decision that much harder. I had been pretty much set on VCU. I even withdrew all my other apps, except for Creighton, for some unexplained reason. During the interview day, Dr. Nipper talked about the 1/2 tuition and full tuition scholarships they award. Does anyone happen to know when they start awarding those or have they already to those "stellar" applicants? It'll probably be May 15 before I finalize my decision.

Aww, I'm sorry...but I know you kept your Creighton app alive just so you could get in and go there. :p I think the scholarship committee will meet for the first time near the end of this month (I think that's what they said) and have meetings til April. I believe they award scholarships throughout that time, but I'm not totally sure about that. I guess one of us could call/email and ask. :idea: :)

And, CP, thanks so much! I feel special. :D

I did call at one point...and they told me "no decision" yet....argh...I dont want to call again...but I guess if I dont hear anything by tuesday, I will. And it really is going to be funny if I do get in, and some of you all end up being my classmates...I'm always going to be remembered as the super neurotic-obsessive one from the forum...way to make an impression:laugh: I'm really not usually like this...I swear...I can just be a little (a lot) impatient! Okay, my goal is to quit with the neurotic postings until Tuesday the 7th, at which point I will muster up the courage to call again, and will then possibly have something concrete to lament about!

I am in the smae boat as Leiki, i was interviewed in Sept. but my app got completed a little bit late due to a LOR I was waiting. also, they said they are looking at my file sometime this or next week.

Leiki, if you call them, call on Thursday because I think committee meets on Wednesday, I think. Notice that people got their acceptance news on Thursdays.

I am in the smae boat as Leiki, i was interviewed in Sept. but my app got completed a little bit late due to a LOR I was waiting. also, they said they are looking at my file sometime this or next week.

Leiki, if you call them, call on Thursday because I think committee meets on Wednesday, I think. Notice that people got their acceptance news on Thursdays.

Thanks for the heads up...Thursday it is! 5 more days ...I can handle 5 more days...:luck: :luck: There's some luck for both of us...and :luck: for anyone else who needs it!! Now, since its saturday, I'm going out to have a few "beverages" and attempt not to obsess further...

Hey guys, I was just looking through my Creighton folder that they gave us at our interview and I found my notes from the financial aid session. I wrote down that 20-25% of the incoming class gets scholarships with the average award being half tuition (!). The scholarship committee is scheduled to meet from November to April and scholarships can be awarded at any point during that time. Just wanted to pass that along... :)

that's really awesome. if i get something, that would make decisions so much more interesting! i hope we all find out about this real soon as well.

Hey guys, I was just looking through my Creighton folder that they gave us at our interview and I found my notes from the financial aid session. I wrote down that 20-25% of the incoming class gets scholarships with the average award being half tuition (!). The scholarship committee is scheduled to meet from November to April and scholarships can be awarded at any point during that time. Just wanted to pass that along... :)

I saw everyone's favorite Admissions Director today at Hyvee. I got the "sup" nod from him...

I'm pretty sure he has no clue who I am...

I saw everyone's favorite Admissions Director today at Hyvee. I got the "sup" nod from him...

I'm pretty sure he has no clue who I am...

Garland is truly one cool dude. I'm not just saying that because I was accepted :D And don't be so sure he doesn't know you. He actually addressed me by name when I saw him on interview day. And NO, I wasn't wearing my badge at the time. Maybe it was because he remembered the picture of the great looking guy from the app I submitted (Not At All) :laugh:

I called Creighton this morning and they said I got accepted!!

Congratulations!! :clap: :clap:

Thanks Punkn. They said they the letter is going out today. :thumbup:

I guess I should go make an entry in Creighton Class of 2011 thread

WAITLISTED ... *sigh* ...At least there's still hope, right? right?? I hope so.:confused: :cool: :scared: :luck:

Leiki-

Did you call them or did they email you about their decision?

ahhhh...i really want to know but i don't want to call. i am hoping the decision is already in the mail? ugh...i hate waiting but i think i hate calling even more. i also hate the mail here, sometimes it is really fast, sometimes it is really slow. grrrrrrr!!!

I interviewed on the 20th of October and the decisions havent been made about our bunch yet...... the wait is killing me!

oh my goodness!!! i woke up this morning and the acceptance envelope was in my mailbox. how in the heck did i miss that last night?? whatever, i am sooooo excited right now

How I found out I was waitlisted: Big White Envelope in the snail mail....

Interviewed Sept 29th
Recieved letter on Nov 6th

How I found out I was waitlisted: Big White Envelope in the snail mail....

Interviewed Sept 29th
Recieved letter on Nov 6th

I had the same notification timeline (maybe a little earlier oct. 26) but it was an acceptnace. I was totally expecting an email notification first. surprise! But still on the waitlist, they have such a high turnover rate that there are still GREAT chances.

Good luck everybody. There is a lot of time left. Don't be afraid to send them letter updating on what you are doing. I sent them a thankyou and update the minute I got back from the interview.

Creighton 2011!

I think my thank you wen tsomehting like this:

Dr. Nipper,

I would like to thank you and the Creighton University School of Med. for the wonderful interview experience. blah blah abla it was fun..

While I am looking forward to your desicion, I will be involved in ... and working at....

Once again, thank you for considering me as a possible matriculant for the Class of 2011. It is an honor to be considered among so many competetive applicants.

If you are waitlisted or still waiting to hear. I would write them .. I have heard it helps and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the deciding factor for my acceptance.

to all those who have posted here and have been waitlisted or accepted, do you think that you could post your stats? How you felt the interview went? Thanks!

oh my goodness!!! i woke up this morning and the acceptance envelope was in my mailbox. how in the heck did i miss that last night?? whatever, i am sooooo excited right now

yay! Congrats!! :hardy:

To you guys who were waitlisted...I'm sorry! :( I agree with the poster who suggested writing them a letter about how much you like Creighton and why and how you are a good fit for the school. Best of luck!!

to all those who have posted here and have been waitlisted or accepted, do you think that you could post your stats? How you felt the interview went? Thanks!

I think Creighton is much more than a numbers school. They look for people who they think will be a good fit. However, if you think it will help, my stats and all that are here: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=5345

it posted twice so i erased it.

MCAT: 30 O
GPA: 3.57 overall (this is due to a shady semester "studying" in Scotland and taking too many post secondary classes without realizing the consequences of a B- or three)
Degree: B.S. in BIO (graduated last may), Augsburg College
23yrs old
male
caucasion
I like to fish
..and read, and play guitar and sing (come to Dunn Bros coffee in Rochester tomorrow if you like, I'll be playing there.)

Extra Currics: 4 yrs Vars Men's Hockey for my College, volunteering (in and out of hospital, some in mexico), shadowing, two summers in labs, honors societies, Organized seminars and dinners for Bio Hons Soc., EMT-B, Currently, I am a PCA for a man with MS, I volunteer with a rural ambulance service, and I am at work right now doing clinical research for the emerg dept for Mayo.. speaking of which, I better get back to that.

Good luck everybody. I've kinda already decided to go to creighton. I'd like to get out of minnesota for a while. and I have to go to work. good luck. have a great day.
-david

I interviewed on the 20th of October and the decisions havent been made about our bunch yet...... the wait is killing me!

Hi- I was there too..Did you call them to find that out?