--~~::: Official: Creighton and UNMC thread for 2007 application cycle :::~~--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have decisions been made about those who interviewed October 13?

Members don't see this ad.

Have decisions been made about those who interviewed October 13?

several of us who interviewed on the 13th have found out. mine just came in the mail today.

the only bad thing for me is thatit makes a LOT of different in what I am doing in grad school whther I am accepted or not... I still have a lot to do which I would've finished if I knew I was accepted. I am kind of dissapointed at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi- I was there too..Did you call them to find that out?

yeah i called today, from what i hear the commit. meets on wednesdays so i think taht i am going to call again next thursday

ok, i need a little advice from y'all. so i got accepted to creighton this morning and received an interview invite from VCU this evening. right now i am debating whether or not to go to the interview. i really like creighton, but i also hear good things about VCU. any one with any advice? anything would be appreciated. thanks guys!!!!

If you have the means, I would say go, especially if you can see yourself liking VCU. It is always good to make the most informed decision. Obviously, you are in at creighton; no matter what, you are going to medical school. So, if money is an issue, don't feel bad about turning it down, but it might be nice to compare schools with another interview. Who knows? It might solidify your decision for creighton, or you might fall in love with VCU and realize that is where you belong. In other words, I don't think it could hurt by making the trip.

just a question to throw out there-

has anyone interviewed on 10/06 and still not heard back yet? it seems like 10/06 and 10/13 people have already.

Wondering if any decisions yet. Pulling for you! and me:)

yeah i called today, from what i hear the commit. meets on wednesdays so i think taht i am going to call again next thursday

I interviewed on 10/20 and got my acceptance today!! :D The letter was dated 11/10. Good luck!

I interviewed on 10/27 and got my acceptance on 11/14. Soo exciting! I can't believe that I'm going to be a doctor! I'm going to start making everyone call me Dr. McGorgeous...just kidding...or maybe not...

Congrats to the newly accepted! Feels great, huh? :D

:hardy: :clap: :hardy: :clap:

I interviewed on 10/20 and got my acceptance letter on 11/16.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a couple of quick questions for those of you who were put on the alternate list(or for anyone with any marvelous comfort and/or advice for those of us in this situation):

a.) in the letter they sent out, the one you are supposed to send back to indicate that you accept your alternate status, did you get anything ELSE in the letter?...like a letter explaining why you are on the alternate list and not accepted?
b.) if you did NOT get such an explanatory note, did you call and ask why you were on the alternate list, and if so, with whom did you speak?

I can't just sit here doing nothing. I know there is probably nothing I can do (I've already sent a sincere letter of intent). Do I send them activities updates? They didn't ask for them. I know I am supposed to send grade updates...but that is a ways off. I guess I am too much of a control freak; I want to be as proactive as possible here, but I dont want them to get annoyed with me and throw out my file (yikes). I'm just rambling becasue Im anxious. (for anyone who has read my previous posts, nothing new there!! ) Dang it!, I want to go to Creighton!! AHHHHHHH!!!!....ok....I feel much better now .
-Leiki

they say to update them on the your grades and stuff. There is not explanation enclosed.

how is everyone?

<<< slowly works on his qualification exam, wish was accepted... work would've gone much faster. So far, no more interviews expect Creighton one. I still have not not heard from some schools. I am already thinking about next application cycle and retaking the test in April.... sucks but it looks like there will be the third application cycle for me. The good thing, MCAT is getting shorter and on computer.

So has anyone heard back from UNMC? I interviewed there on 11/10 and I thought I remembered hearing them say something about the middle of December... any ideas?

I'm interested in when UNMC will send letters out too. I heard Dec. 15th is usually the earliest they send them out, so hopefully we'll hear some time this week. I interviewed on Oct. 20th.

I also got a letter yesterday from Creighton offering me a small scholarship! It definitely makes my choice significantly harder. The scholarship isn't huge (5k a year), but it's nothing to scoff at either. I'm really surprised.

Did anyone else receive something similar? They want me to let them know if I accept the scholarship by January 3rd. Does anyone know if this would be binding if I accept? It doesn't say anything about it on the form, so I'm not sure....

I'm interested in when UNMC will send letters out too. I heard Dec. 15th is usually the earliest they send them out, so hopefully we'll hear some time this week. I interviewed on Oct. 20th.

I also got a letter yesterday from Creighton offering me a small scholarship! It definitely makes my choice significantly harder. The scholarship isn't huge (5k a year), but it's nothing to scoff at either. I'm really surprised.

Did anyone else receive something similar? They want me to let them know if I accept the scholarship by January 3rd. Does anyone know if this would be binding if I accept? It doesn't say anything about it on the form, so I'm not sure....

Congrats! That's awesome!! I doubt it would be binding to accept the scholarship. I would think if you decided not to attend that they would just re-evaluate potential scholarship recipients and give it to someone else. You could call just to be sure, though.

congrats!

So a few days back I received a letter from UNMC's Office of Research & Development addressed to "2007 First Year Medical Students." The letter started off by saying "Congratulations on your acceptance into the entering medical class of 2007," and it continues to explain summer research scholarships available for entering med students. I still haven't received the official acceptance letter.

Anybody else in a similar situation? I'll call the admissions office on Monday to see if I indeed got in. I'm pretty nervous as you can imagine.

Just to post a reply to my own post for benefit of others in the future:
If you end up getting this letter, it means you got into UNMC :). Should I change my sig to "UNMC - Class of 2011."

Just to post a reply to my own post for benefit of others in the future:
If you end up getting this letter, it means you got into UNMC :). Should I change my sig to "UNMC - Class of 2011."

Haha - the exact same thing happend to me. I actually know the woman who sent the letter, Sonja, from my research at UNMC over the last two summers. I called her up and she said if I got it, I must have been accepted. She called the Dean's office for me and they sent me out the acceptance packet the next day. According to them, I got in back in December, even though I didn't get anything...

Makes me think that it wasn't a problem with the mail, but that they forgot to send a few out or something. Are you OOS by chance??

Are you OOS by chance??

Yep, OOS... California resident. Finishing up my undergrad at UCLA. Hey thats awesome... we're potentially classmates :D.

Best of luck to all waiting for UNMC.

So a few days back I received a letter from UNMC's Office of Research & Development addressed to "2007 First Year Medical Students." The letter started off by saying "Congratulations on your acceptance into the entering medical class of 2007," and it continues to explain summer research scholarships available for entering med students. I still haven't received the official acceptance letter.

Anybody else in a similar situation? I'll call the admissions office on Monday to see if I indeed got in. I'm pretty nervous as you can imagine.

The same thing happened to me. Getting that small envelope is nerve-racking, though.. haha.

I called up UNMC admissions yesterday because I interview on Nov 3 and still haven't heard anything. The person I talked to said that they pull applications at random to review them, which seems strange to me. She said they would have a decision "by March 15 or after" which makes no sense. I'm starting to get a little frustrated!

Well, that random review thing doesn't make me feel any better...I interviewed Nov. 10th and am still waiting as well. This is my state school, so I'd love to get in! Anyone else from in state?

I called up UNMC admissions yesterday because I interview on Nov 3 and still haven't heard anything. The person I talked to said that they pull applications at random to review them, which seems strange to me. She said they would have a decision "by March 15 or after" which makes no sense. I'm starting to get a little frustrated!

By March 15 they will tell you if you've been accepted or wait-listed - if which case there's more waiting to find out if your in or not.
(Edit: They will tell you if you're in before March 15th - if you are wait-listed, they will mail you a letter on or around the 15th. So unfortunately, the closer that date gets, the more likely it is that you're waitlisted)

I know the waiting is stressful, but try to enjoy the last of your undergrad....because med school sucks. :eek:

So, nebrfan, should we be getting worried if we haven't heard anything yet? Is it possible that they have not even looked at my file yet? Is the random review statement correct? Thanks in advance for any input!

I wouldn't stress - it is still pretty early in their cycle, and they usually move a good deal through the wait-list.

As for them pulling files at random, I don't know - it doesn't make much sense to me, but I don't have a good reason to suggest they do it any other way.

I'm in-state too! And getting kind of worried!.... I wish when I called they would look up my file and make sure that I haven't missed anything in the mail from them. Its getting frustrating.

Have any of the out-of-staters who have been accepted at UNMC heard anything about in-state tuition waivers yet? I remember they mentioned at the interview that they tend to give out a few waivers that allow OOS students to receive in-state tuition without changing residency...

From the current UNMC students I've talked to, they made it sound like they give nearly all OOS students who matriculate in-state tuition, because they realize that it's too expensive otherwise...

I submitted my secondary to Creighton back in late August. I have 30MCAT with good GPA and EC's, but I have not heard a peep from them. Is Creighton still giving out interview invites? Thanks.

I'm also waiting on any word from Creighton. Last communication was the e-mail saying my app was complete.

Have any of the out-of-staters who have been accepted at UNMC heard anything about in-state tuition waivers yet?

Yep, I got a OOS tuition waiver plus a scholarship, so I'm very happy :D.

What was the process you took to receive these? I have heard that all OOS can recive the instate tuition, but how do you receive scholarships? Any information would be great. Thanks!

What was the process you took to receive these? I have heard that all OOS can recive the instate tuition, but how do you receive scholarships? Any information would be great. Thanks!

I really didn't do anything (I didn't apply for anything). I received a phone call (which I missed), and then an email telling me that the scholarship was merit based and was awarded only for the first year (I assume I could probably could apply for future years if I get good grades). The letter also stated that the OOS tuition waiver was awarded for the full four years provided that I maintain my grades. It didn't say that I qualified for the OOS waiver because of good grades, so I'm assuming its provided to most/all OOS students. Its a great offer! I really could not be any happier :).

So your acceptance letter stated that the OOS tuition waiver was awarded for the full four years provided that you maintain your grades. That's awesome. Congratulations!

If you don't mind me asking; what was the amount of your scholarship?

I had received the acceptance letter before hand. I got the phone call/email telling me about the great offer after I received my acceptance packet. The scholarship was for a good amount. I'm sure you can figure out how much it was using this hint: it knocked down the tuition for the first year down to around $15k (which is a bargain for a school that ranks so well!). UNMC is known for being generous, so I wouldn't be worried.

I'm also waiting on any word from Creighton. Last communication was the e-mail saying my app was complete.

Likewise, I was complete in August and haven't heard anything since that last email. Boo- I really like the program and am worried that it's getting late into interview season to even have a chance at Creighton. Anyone know how far along the school is in filling their class?

I got some news from admissions office that they accepted 180 people at X-mas time. Not sure how many are accepted now. I am on waitlist, btw.

Has anyone heard anything from UNMC lately?

I submitted my materials in mid-November.
I'm a 34 MCAT with a weak GPA, but strong health care experience.
Non-traditional applicant.

I haven't heard anything regarding an interview...are they still inviting?

Not sure if they're still doing interviews...seems like I remember the website said they only go through January. I interviewed in November, but I am in-state.

Not sure if they're still doing interviews...seems like I remember the website said they only go through January. I interviewed in November, but I am in-state.

No, they are still doing interviews through the last week of Feb (and perhaps beyond? I'm not sure). I just got an email invite yesterday for Feb. 9th. Hope that helps. :)

No, they are still doing interviews through the last week of Feb (and perhaps beyond? I'm not sure). I just got an email invite yesterday for Feb. 9th. Hope that helps. :)

Hey Bacteriophage:

When was your application complete and what's the first letter of your last name. I think they might review applicants either by complete date or alphabetically. In an email they told me that after the 1st of the year they start reviewing files for, an interview, that were complete after Oct. 18.