Official: Cwru Class Of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have about a 75% chance of going to Case. I loved it when I visited there. It is great to hear that the city is not as bad as many people make it out to be.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Neuronix
Was that you I met there? FESS UP!!!!!!!!!!! :D:p

Maybe... I was the one who wanted to see the INSIDE of the anatomy lab.

Who are you? :D

Originally posted by perrum365
what about third/fourth years when you go to class the whole year around? i assume they raise tuition then?

no, it's fixed all four years. They do allow you to borrow a bit more to cover living those years.

Whoever was from the D - Cleveland is very similar. Big, formerly industrial city with lots of little neighborhoods throughout that you find over time. There are certainly safer and less safe portions of the city, you just need to be smart.

I think Cleveland Heights is more like Royal Oak / Ferndale than Grosse pointe, but that's just me. Shaker is more like GP.

They are revamping the third year curriculum right now with many more opportunities for rotations at CCF in the next year. Personally, I have enjoyed my pre-clinical experiences at Metro and the VA more than my expereinces at UH, but that is limited and subjective.

So far, the didactic years have been good. In all, I think most of the faculty want to teach and want you to get a good education.

Congrats! Hope to see you all here next year.

pcl
MSII, CWRU-SOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by relatively prime
Maybe... I was the one who wanted to see the INSIDE of the anatomy lab.

Who are you? :D

Haha I'm pretty sure it was not you. I met this SDN girl in the hotel the day of my interview. She left in a rush and I never found out who it was. It was a MD/PhD interview day, so she was just there to get her own second look at the school and bring her parents to look around.

Haha I'm pretty sure it was not you. I met this SDN girl in the hotel the day of my interview. She left in a rush and I never found out who it was. It was a MD/PhD interview day, so she was just there to get her own second look at the school and bring her parents to look around.

Hey, that sounds like me, did she happen to be freakishly tall too? Were you part of that group in the lobby of the Glidden House waiting for a ride in the snow? I was back at CWRU on the 3rd of January - 6th to show my parents around and find housing.

Yay! Future classmate!

Nope.... not me. ;)

i currently go to case for undergrad and im thinking of going here for med school, but one thing that really bothers me about the school is the horrible condition of the weight room. if you're into lifting weights, this is definitely not the place to go, unless you want to pay a ton of money and join a fitness club (like one 2 one). it's pretty pathetic seeing much cheaper public schools with much better equipment than case.

Originally posted by Jadeite
Hey, that sounds like me, did she happen to be freakishly tall too? Were you part of that group in the lobby of the Glidden House waiting for a ride in the snow? I was back at CWRU on the 3rd of January - 6th to show my parents around and find housing.

Yay! Future classmate!

Haha! That was you! I didn't notice you being freakishly tall because I am actually taller than you. I was sitting down the whole time, so you couldn't tell.

Don't get your hopes up on me coming though. I'm going back for the MSTP second look next week, but I think that my odds of coming to CWRU at this point are under 10% :( Sorry!

Haha! That was you! I didn't notice you being freakishly tall because I am actually taller than you. I was sitting down the whole time, so you couldn't tell.

Don't get your hopes up on me coming though. I'm going back for the MSTP second look next week, but I think that my odds of coming to CWRU at this point are under 10% :( Sorry!

Taller than me??? I thought I was going to be the tallest Doctor ever. Damnit. (Are you sure you're over 6'4"???) Yeah, I really like Case, but I'm not trying for the MSTP, so good luck whereever you end up!

Indeed. My dad is 6'4" and I have an inch or two on him. Usually I hear that I'm 6'5".

Wow! That's wonderful, tall is nice. Perhaps I'll be the tallest FEMALE doctor... I can live with that. Honestly, I wonder if there are any stats on that....

Congratulations to you all who are planning to go to Case!

I'm waiting on a post-interview response, so maybe this will be a moot point, but I was just wondering how you come to terms with the cost and justify it over the other state schools that you no doubt were admitted into?

After the Ohio COM's tour (did not apply out of state) I "felt" best about Case overall. But if it comes down to it, my senses tell me that secondary to my education, my goal should be to not foolishly pile on the debt.

If you don't mind divulging your secrets, I'm interested in hearing personal anecdotes about your situation, how you plan to finance it. Please don't be bashful about scholarships, etc. because those are all very relavant factors. :)

Feel free to drop emails if that's more comfortable.
Thanks,
Jason

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by J-Brow
Has anyone filled out the budget section on the CWRU fin. aid application (the yellow one) that asks for lists of expenses and resources? I'm not sure how they want us to predict the amount our parents/spouses will contribute - is it a certain percentage of their earnings, or just a prediction, or ???

Thanks!

Sorry if this post is a little late in coming, but I spoke to someone at the financial aid office the other day, and for resources we only list how much we know for sure we have right now, committed towards Case. They're not asking us to calculate percentages or make any predictions based on how much aid we will/won't get or anything like that, just to list how much we can reasonably expect from each source as things stand now (so that was a big fat 0 for me under parental contribution).

Also, does anybody know when Case usually starts? I saw on their website that the general orientation for the University begins August 5 (if I'm remembering correctly, it was a few days back). But I'm not sure if this was just for undergrad, or if all the schools have a single orientation week, or what--it wasn't very specific. Is this for the med school too, or would we have a totally different orientation and starting time? Anybody know? It would be so nice to have a couple weeks off in August. . .

Originally posted by TroutBum

Also, does anybody know when Case usually starts? I saw on their website that the general orientation for the University begins August 5 (if I'm remembering correctly, it was a few days back). But I'm not sure if this was just for undergrad, or if all the schools have a single orientation week, or what--it wasn't very specific. Is this for the med school too, or would we have a totally different orientation and starting time? Anybody know? It would be so nice to have a couple weeks off in August. . .

I'm not sure, but I found this on their website:

http://mediswww.cwru.edu/registrar/calendar.htm

It doesn't give an exact date though.

Class of 2006 started orientation on August 5, and classes began that Friday, August 9th.

Class of '07 starts orientation August 4th.

any of you recall how case's waitlist works and how many they take off it?

Hey,

any minorities at case that can give their perspective of student life there? Ultimately, I'm wondering if I were to go if I'd be lonely there. I mean are people friendly? I heard that there were some racial incidents in Little Italy nearby. Would actually like any sort of feedback. Everyone welcome.

hi lakun-
i sent you a PM, hope it's helpful!
ketchupgirl

Congrats all accepted to Case!

I was wondering if those in class of '07 would share the questions on the secondary application. Case is one of my top choices and I will be applying this fall.

I would really appreciate the help. Im available via PM.

Originally posted by optimistique
Congrats all accepted to Case!

I was wondering if those in class of '07 would share the questions on the secondary application. Case is one of my top choices and I will be applying this fall.

I would really appreciate the help. Im available via PM.

There was just one question. I think it was write less than 2 pages about something outside of school that has held your interest.

BUMP to keep this thread alive...

So has anybody gone to Cleveland to check out housing yet? I won't get a chance to go for another month.

Originally posted by mws99
So has anybody gone to Cleveland to check out housing yet? I won't get a chance to go for another month.

If any of you guys have questions about Cleveland housing, you can PM me.

mike

Originally posted by mws99

My wife and I just bought a house (*GULP*) in University Heights (about fifteen minutes from campus).

There are tons of apartments in the Cleveland Heights area, just up the hill, but they are starting to rent now for June move-in dates. I don't know how quickly they will disappear, though.

If you are eager to get looking, try looking up the classifieds at cleveland.com. Also, I would recommend my current management company, Montlack Management and their sister company Montlack Realty. Those two companies alone must own hundreds of apartments in the area. You can find their websites by doing a google search...

LL

Hey, has anybody recieved a financial aid package yet? Or do we still have awhile to wait?

I have a house with three apartments in it (two 2-bedrooms and one 1-bedroom) about 2 miles from campus in Cleveland Hts. One or two of the apts may be available this summer. PM me if you're interested *end shameless marketing*

Also, any of the on-hold-post-interview folks hear yet?? I'm getting antsy. :confused:

Originally posted by TroutBum
Hey, has anybody recieved a financial aid package yet? Or do we still have awhile to wait?

Nope, haven't heard. I guess we just have to wait.

Originally posted by DoubleL
If you are eager to get looking, try looking up the classifieds at cleveland.com. Also, I would recommend my current management company, Montlack Management and their sister company Montlack Realty. Those two companies alone must own hundreds of apartments in the area. You can find their websites by doing a google search...

LL

We lived in a Montlack property during the first part of med school and I just wanted to counter in that our experience with them was HORRIBLE. The management was less than responsive, specifically when we had problems with a possible gas leak and with parking. The particular property had assigned spots and some dickhead kept parking in my spot when I'd have to come home at 2 AM, etc, and they refused to do anything about it. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. They have this MO of renting these old hardwood floor apartments that are supposedly "charming" and then rape you for rent. You can get much better apartments for the cost in Cleveland Hts.

That's the major point to all of you coming to CWRU. If you plan on living near campus (Cleveland, Cleveland Hts) make sure you know the parking situation before signing on the dotted line. Make sure you get a parking spot per apartment and if you're married then don't stop looking until you find one that offers two parking spots. Also, make sure the spots are apartment owned and not city lots from Cleveland Hts.

mike

Originally posted by mikecwru
We lived in a Montlack property during the first part of med school and I just wanted to counter in that our experience with them was HORRIBLE. The management was less than responsive, specifically when we had problems with a possible gas leak and with parking. The particular property had assigned spots and some dickhead kept parking in my spot when I'd have to come home at 2 AM, etc, and they refused to do anything about it. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. They have this MO of renting these old hardwood floor apartments that are supposedly "charming" and then rape you for rent. You can get much better apartments for the cost in Cleveland Hts.

That's the major point to all of you coming to CWRU. If you plan on living near campus (Cleveland, Cleveland Hts) make sure you know the parking situation before signing on the dotted line. Make sure you get a parking spot per apartment and if you're married then don't stop looking until you find one that offers two parking spots. Also, make sure the spots are apartment owned and not city lots from Cleveland Hts.

mike

Yikes!

I assume you lived in a Montlack Realty apartment...?

I've lived in a Montlack Management property for four years now, and I have found them to be exceptionally professional, very prompt about any repairs. They even change light bulbs if I ask them to!

My wife lived in a Montlack Realty property for one year, and didn't have any major problems with them, but maybe she got lucky.

I do agree about the parking - that is a problem around here. I pay $40/month for a garage parking space, and had to wait two years until a second spot opened up for my wife's car.

Good luck people!

LL

Update for you 07 folk,

BIT is actively trying to get tablet PCs approved for the classes to follow. Cant promise it, but from everyones likeness of the tablet pc, things look good! Wish I had one of those.

Also, its almost certain that 3rd and 4th years will get Palms (previously, you had one only for Family med clerkships).

Originally posted by Zoobaby
I have a house with three apartments in it (two 2-bedrooms and one 1-bedroom) about 2 miles from campus in Cleveland Hts. One or two of the apts may be available this summer. PM me if you're interested *end shameless marketing*

Also, any of the on-hold-post-interview folks hear yet?? I'm getting antsy. :confused:

Hey Zoobaby...

Your mailbox is full.

Originally posted by Resident Alien
Update for you 07 folk,

BIT is actively trying to get tablet PCs approved for the classes to follow. Cant promise it, but from everyones likeness of the tablet pc, things look good! Wish I had one of those.

Also, its almost certain that 3rd and 4th years will get Palms (previously, you had one only for Family med clerkships).

Sweet! Keep us updated if you hear any more rumors...

On a related note, I'm trying to decide on a new Palm device... I'm thinking about one of the Sony Clie's. I like the NX60 or the SJ33.

Anybody have a recommendation...?

LL

Originally posted by DoubleL
Sweet! Keep us updated if you hear any more rumors...

LL

Its not a rumor! This is directly from the head of our IT dept.

Thought I'd give this thread a kick in the pants...

So who's decided on Case? Personally, I'm not FINALLY decided, but it's looking pretty likely that I'll be shacking up in Cleveland next year. (Barring any financial aid disasters or waitlist miracles).

So who's with me?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'll be there unless I get into UMich (my state school) off of the waitlist.

It was my second choice of the schools I interviewed at and I won't be too disappointed if I don't get into Michigan and go to Case. I think its a great school and I love the curriculum.

Originally posted by Zoobaby

No, i haven't heard anything yet. Did you send them anything after they placed you on hold?

I'll be staying in the Waldorf Apartments, which is apparently (according to my tour guide and the secretary of the admissions office) where most medical, dental, nursing and some law students stay their first year. It's walking distance to the campus.

I hope to make friends (With my 1337-friend-making skillz: "Be my friend! Rah!") And move into a roommate-ful apartment (Maybe a nifty Little-Italy house with gables) for the second year and for the rest of my SOM schooling.

Waldorf Towers
2300 Overlook Road
Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44106
216-791-8547

It's like freshman dorms for professionals. C'mon. I promise not to play DDR at 2 am above you.

Jade~
Really. I'm not bringing the PS2.

Does anyone have the schedule for the class of 2007? When can we expect to get that? I did see the August 4th start-date post, and I am very grateful, I've been dying to know for months, and their web page doesn't seem to have a schedule.

Thanks!
Jade~

Originally posted by Jadeite
Does anyone have the schedule for the class of 2007? When can we expect to get that? I did see the August 4th start-date post, and I am very grateful, I've been dying to know for months, and their web page doesn't seem to have a schedule.

Thanks!
Jade~

Hi Jade -

Yeah, I've been getting anxious about the schedule too. I know the white coat ceremony is sometime around the first week, but I'd like something official from the school so I can start planning to have out-of-town family come in... The web site is hit or miss, I think - some of that stuff is from 1999. Hopefully they will start mailing schedules for our class out soon.

The Waldorf Towers are a fine place to stay - I know some people that lived there and had no problem. It really is close to campus, which is nice. I actually live in an apartment just up the street from the Waldorf, on Overlook.

LL

Originally posted by KBCoch
Thought I'd give this thread a kick in the pants...

So who's decided on Case? Personally, I'm not FINALLY decided, but it's looking pretty likely that I'll be shacking up in Cleveland next year. (Barring any financial aid disasters or waitlist miracles).

So who's with me?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm leaning toward Case. I got in there and at NJMS. Unfortunately, I'm a low-ranking alternate at my state school, UW. The potential tuition of a private school is looking very scary these days. In fact, I was even entertaining the idea of applying again this next year just to try to get into UW. But since there still wouldn't be any guarantee, it would be stupid. So I'll probably see you at CWRU this fall.

-wolferman

Hey wolferman,
I didn't know you were leaning toward Case. I was too, but got into Davis...so I don't think I can go unless they gimme a scholarship. I really liked Case alot, it's just sooooo far away from home for me. Oh well, we'll see in the next couple of months I guess. I'm still hoping against hope to get off the UCLA waitilist. Hope you end up where you'd be happy.

Jade,

How much are those Waldorf Apartments per month?

Originally posted by bennet
No, i haven't heard anything yet. Did you send them anything after they placed you on hold?

I sent a couple of emails to Dr. Kirby telling him that I'm still interested. That's about it.

I recently heard thru the vine that they're going to start looking at the hold kids soon. *fingers crossed*

I want to stay in those apartments. The last thing I want to have to deal with when moving to a new city and starting med school is apartment shopping. Are there enough available for everyone who wants one, or is it first come first served?

I'm paying $836/month for a one-bedroom on the front of the building. It's cheaper if you get a two bedroom or a studio. It's not a deal, which is why I hope to only spend a year there.

There's a limited number, but It's still early so you can probably get one. See number above. Party at my place August 9th! ;)

Jade~

just some other places that I know med students stay, all within 5-10 min walking distance:

- University Place (at the corner of Euclid and Ford, above the Boarding House)

- The Triangle

- Apartments/houses on Cornell Rd (right across the street from the hospital)

- There are also some apartments up on Overlook, which is close to Waldorf and still within walking distance. I also have a friend living on Cedar Road, which is close to the South Side undergrad dorms but still more or less walking distance.

I think my one friend at University Place is paying around 400 for a studio. The Triangle is probably the more expensive place, maybe 800 for a one bedroom. I lived on Cornell Rd two years ago during the summer and paid 400 for a studio. All I had to do was cross the road and I was inside the hospital.

These places are all good if you're a single student without a car who values proximity to campus. If you have a car, I'd take the liberty to look a little further and get a nicer place for cheaper.

i'll be starting cwru som this august, and wanted to see if anyone here is interested in rooming. i called the admissions this morning to ask if they'd started a list for people who want to have roomates and they said call back at the end of this month (class will supposedly be wrapped up by april 15). i moved up here last july to work as a research asst in a cwru lab, so i'm somewhat saavy about the area and what to look for (parking, heat included, walking distance, etc). i'm sort of leaning towards trying to get a house to rent, but there are certainly some decent options for apts. i'm also definitely trying to do as cheap as is possible, providing the place is decent. hmmm....me: 25 (soon to be 26) yr old male, no pets, no smoke, love beer (though sadly cannot drink nearly as much nor as often as in years past), have turntables, a little cpu "studio," and 1000's of records (so need an extra bedroom or a BIG closet available)....yeah, so anyways if anyone is interested e-mail me at [email protected]
see everyone else in august
Protons and
Electrons
Always
Cause
Explosions