Official: Cwru Class Of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in case anyone might find this useful, the list of off-campus housing supplied by CWRU.

Off-campus housing

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know how much a parking pass is per month? I'm just trying to figure out the cost difference of living a little further from campus.

to my knowledge commuter parking is around 35 dollars a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think last year, the covered lot closest to the med school was about $600/semester. No joke.

I heard many students carpool.

If you have a car, I would suggest finding an apartment in a house somewhere near the coventry area, cedar fairmount, or the cedar-lee area... I pay $925 for 1/2 a house with fireplace, hw floors, dishwasher, washer dryer, 4 bedrooms, fenced back yard, garage spot, porch, balcony, sunroom on a nice tree lined street... and they let me have my dog... I split it with another student and it is way cheaper even with the $60 cwru parking pass per month... Plus you can add on night and weekend parking for free and park directly under the med school at nights or on weekends, which is nice for girls, instead of walking alone at night... there are several options, commuter lot is a ten minute walk, I think about $30/mo, there are a few flat lots closer for about $50/mo, but it is a pain to scrape your car in the winter, and then lot 53 which is the $60/mo option... covered and less than a block from school.

I think waldorf is overpriced and kind of boring... you know, standard 70's high rise apartment... It is convenient though, and you definitely pay for the convenience. We joke that it is the "med school dorm".

Since many of you guys are relocating, cleveland heights and shaker heights have a free relocating service that is helpful with putting you in touch with landlords. i found it on the internet. I used coventry rentals for first year and they were good and allowed pets...

PMI rentals has been bad luck for many of my friends, but it really depends on the apartment.

Apartments don't go super fast once you are a bit away from school, try to get one one to two months before classes start. (June sometime?) people give 30 to 60 day notice around here... My suggestion is set up a bunch of appointments, and come and look for a day or two. You will be much happier in the long run.

And for whoever asked about white coat... it is the first day of orientation, first thing in the morning... you will get plenty of notice.

CCF rotations: the current second year class is being offered the opportunity to take any of their core third year clerkship rotations at the CCF. There are fewer spots there available for rotations, so who knows how that will go. By the time you are third years, the case gossip should be pretty reliable on how roatations are there...

Welcome to Case!

PCL
MSII

Random off-topic Question--Any inexpensive gyms out there that you Cleveland folks can recommend? Also, anyone into martial arts that has good recommendations for schools?

I'm a little worried about turning into a butterball over the next 4 years...

BTW, I appreciate all of the useful info people have posted to this list, particularly regarding housing. I'm relocating from Boston, and totally in the dark about everything having to do with Cleveland...

See you all in August!!

Feeling the CWRU '07 :love:

ChipE2k3

ChipE2k3,
I am pretty sure that med students have free access to Veale Center, which is CWRU's own gym. It has pools, weight room, track, racquetball and basketball courts, etc. Maybe PCL would know for sure if you have access though I'm pretty sure you do.

There's also the option of the One-to-One gym which is near Veale and just across the road from the hospitals. Although I'm not a member I think the membership fee is something like $30 a month or thereabouts. Those are the two that are closest to campus.

I can ask around for martial arts schools for you, and see what I can dig up.

one to one is the nicest... it's i think $100 to join, the $25 per month maybe? Obviously, I don't belong. Lots of students do though, and they have a lot of classes and nice new equipment.

The veale center is free and a lot of students go there. I think there is a pool also.

Cleveland heights has a rec center that is $100 per year and has new equipment, but is fairly small. It has a nice indoor track for those cleveland winters... You also get discounted skating for being a resident.

I don't really know about other options. sorry i can't be more helpful.

a couple of guys in my class are into martial arts. i will ask if i can send their email addresses to you.

they have a boxing team/club?

PS glad to know i applied to a country club :)
How's the golf there too??

Maybe some nice spas?? Got any good haircut places, supercuts sucks ass.

Anybody have any thoughts/ opinions of Little Italy. Is it a nice, inexpensive place to live?

My PI lived in Little Italy about 10 years ago. He says that it's a great place to live, but he would not recommend it to anyone who is not caucasian. He wouldn't elaborate, so your guess is as good as mine. Also, when I was at the second look, the medical school did not recommend we live there, but again, they would not seem to specify why.

Originally posted by Neuronix
My PI lived in Little Italy about 10 years ago. He says that it's a great place to live, but he would not recommend it to anyone who is not caucasian. He wouldn't elaborate, so your guess is as good as mine. Also, when I was at the second look, the medical school did not recommend we live there, but again, they would not seem to specify why.

Wait, Case had a second look day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by TroutBum

Not that I know of, but if you want to take a second look at a med school you call the admin and they will be happy to take you on another tour. I just arranged it ahead of time and took my own 'second look'.

Jade~

Neuronix is MD/PhD

Jade, I'm thinking of taking my own second look as well. Did they just set you up with a tour, or did they mention if they might be able to find a student host for you? When are you scheduled to go or have you gone already? Was it helpful?

Maybe we should all organize our own second look weekend at Case.
Case really should have one. I think it would do them a lot of good.

Originally posted by pcl
one to one is the nicest... it's i think $100 to join, the $25 per month maybe? Obviously, I don't belong. Lots of students do though, and they have a lot of classes and nice new equipment.

The veale center is free and a lot of students go there. I think there is a pool also.

Cleveland heights has a rec center that is $100 per year and has new equipment, but is fairly small. It has a nice indoor track for those cleveland winters... You also get discounted skating for being a resident.

I don't really know about other options. sorry i can't be more helpful.

a couple of guys in my class are into martial arts. i will ask if i can send their email addresses to you.

You guys are awesome! And those gym prices sound very reasonable compared to Boston.

I'd also love to talk to some students about martial arts in the area. I started to get into Tae Kwon Do recently and want to continue--it's been great for relieving stress and I'll probably be needing regular doses of it for the next four years *sigh*...

Originally posted by KBCoch
Jade, I'm thinking of taking my own second look as well. Did they just set you up with a tour, or did they mention if they might be able to find a student host for you? When are you scheduled to go or have you gone already? Was it helpful?

Maybe we should all organize our own second look weekend at Case.
Case really should have one. I think it would do them a lot of good.

I went for my second look in January, I brought my parents and brother and we stayed at the Glidden House (which I highly recommend, mention CWRU and get a discount!)

You can ask the admissions peeps about a student host, I imagine they will be able to find you one if you schedule it flexibly. The student tour guide that was there to give the interviewees a tour took my family and I on another one - of course, I was there for my second look while they were still conducting interviews. Your best bet is to call and find out what they can do for you.

Jade~

Originally posted by MDin200?
You guys are awesome! And those gym prices sound very reasonable compared to Boston.

I'd also love to talk to some students about martial arts in the area. I started to get into Tae Kwon Do recently and want to continue--it's been great for relieving stress and I'll probably be needing regular doses of it for the next four years *sigh*...

Hey, I have a buddy at Case who's a WTF black belt--I can try to find out some more info for you. I also really want to get back into TKD during school--I was practicing fairly regularly until an old foot injury flared up and sidelined me for about a year, and then I just never got back into the routine again after that.

Originally posted by mws99
Neuronix is MD/PhD

Aha! Thanks msw99 and Jadeite! I will no longer feel offended :laugh:

Hey everyone- I'm so glad people have kept this thread going! I'm shy on here and don't usually post, but here's what I know about little Italy. I grew up in Cleveland Heights...

I think the deal with Little Italy is that while plenty of students live there (and seriously, it's probably one sqaure mile total, just a few blocks really as you leave the city of Cleveland) there are some families who have been there for years and unfortunately haven't changed their views on race relations since their ancestors came to Cleveland. It's sad, but bigotry does still exist I guess. I'm Caucasian but I don't even want to live there. The houses are shabby too, and not in that semi-charming way. I wouldn't want my friends feeling uncomfortable or unable to come visit. There are lots of restaurants and art galleries there and I think the vast majority of people hanging out there couldn't care less about the color of your skin, but the minority of people who do have pretty strong views and apparently don't keep them to themselves. I think the animosity is targeted at African-Americans for the most part.

If you're looking for shabby-chic, rambling houses to inhabit, check out Hessler Street (I think that's what it's called, someone help me out) as well as Bellfield, Grandview, and also to a lesser extent Delaware Dr. right off of Cedar in Cleveland Heights! You might also want to check out the Shaker Square area for apartments...

See you all in August!
ketchupgirl

Bump. Any more CWRU news from anyone? None to report here--waiting on fin aid and scholarship info. It can't get here fast enough. . .

Is anyone going to the dinner for accepted students in Boston on May 7th??

I'm with you on the financial aid. It's neck and neck between Case and another school, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that financial aid can make a difference.

Originally posted by KBCoch
Is anyone going to the dinner for accepted students in Boston on May 7th??

I'm going. Free food is always good...

Congratulations to everyone who got into Case. It is a great school, I got accepted.Yeah!!! The hard part is deciding wheter to go to Case or U.Maryland(my state school). Maybe you guys can help me with my decision -making. Cheers.

Hey Fern, congrats! I'm also trying to decide between Case and my state school (Colorado). I'm definitely leaning towards Case. The curriculum is sweet, all the folks I know there love it, Cleveland's a great city (not as nice as Denver, but hey, few places are :cool: )--pretty nice deal.

I've been agonizing over tuition, but every doctor I've spoken to (I work at a research hospital) told me not to let the tuition make the decision for me. I don't know if maybe it's just something about the lifestyle in Denver or where I work that attracts docs that think that way or not, because from reading SDN I think I'm in the minority of people who've received that advice--a lot of people here say they've been told the exact opposite by the docs they've spoken to. But what was the kicker for me is that I've been told this by docs in their 60s and docs who have just gotten out of residency and who's financial situation would be much closer to what mine would be like--they all have said the same thing.

I dunno if you have family that you'd like to be close to in Maryland or not, but that's a pretty big factor too. From the way things look, my family probably won't be in Denver for too much longer so I'm looking at being apart from them no matter where I go, so that's not really a big part of my decision.

Anybody else still trying to decide? Good luck with your decision Fern!

I've been agonizing over tuition, but every doctor I've spoken to (I work at a research hospital) told me not to let the tuition make the decision for me.

I agree. In the immortal words of the great philosopher Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, "Life is a journey, not a destination." ;) Money is important, but happiness is the most important factor. For me at least.

LL

Originally posted by fern.312
Congratulations to everyone who got into Case. It is a great school, I got accepted.Yeah!!! The hard part is deciding wheter to go to Case or U.Maryland(my state school). Maybe you guys can help me with my decision -making. Cheers.

I'm also from Maryland and I am 100% going to Case. U Maryland didn't impress me at the interview and their students seemed really stressed and no where near as enthusiastic about their school as the Case students were. However, there is a big difference in cost, and that may be a determining factor.

Jade~
CASE in '07, baby!

I just withdrew from Wayne State, my state school. The only reason I was holding that acceptance was because of the lower price tag, but I've realized that I would be so much happier at Case that it will be worth it. A Case degree opens more doors, and there was just something about the place that made me feel comfortable. I know that if I went to my state school I would always wonder in the back of my mind what would have been. Would I have gotten more residency interviews if I had gone to Case? Would I have matched one spot higher on the places I ranked for residency and gone to a better program? Would I have been able to get involved in more interesting research and enjoyed a better curriculum? Would I meet a much more diverse group of students? But, by going to Case the only second thought will be spending the extra $50,000, something I will probably forget about by the time I've gotten settled into my practice.

so, um, i hate to break it back to the free food, but while we're on the topic of case's tuition and financial aid offers....

what is this about a dinner for accepted students in boston?

and is there one of these going on in DC by chance???

sorry, had to ask:)

I got the impression from the email that someone from Case was giving some kind of lecture about their curriculum innovations, and they happened to invite the accepted students from the area. The email only mentioned the Boston one, and it seemed the email addresses on the list were from Mass. schools. I'm not sure if things like this will happen in other cities.

I guess I'll see some of you there!

Here's something that is kind of cool, it is the new Dean's first meeting with the faculty:

http://mediswww.cwru.edu/events/viewpast.cfm?event_id=6

It is an hour long, but I thought it was nice to hear what he had to say. He mentioned some of the things he wants to do to improve Case. He said the Ohio student quota is "history," but I'm not sure if that is finalized yet. He also said that the school will try to improve financial aid packages to attract more high caliber students afraid of the cost. They are building a new research building and I think he stated that they will be bringing in 60-80 new researchers. He said that they will look to improve the curriculum too. It seems like he is definitely committed to ensuring that Case will be a top notch school in the years to come.

Originally posted by Neuronix
Indeed. My dad is 6'4" and I have an inch or two on him. Usually I hear that I'm 6'5".
Hmm...if I can finangle an acceptance off the alternate list, we could kick some butt in co-ed intramural basketball (6'4"). ;)

Here's something that is kind of cool, it is the new Dean's first meeting with the faculty:

http://mediswww.cwru.edu/events/viewpast.cfm?event_id=6

It is an hour long, but I thought it was nice to hear what he had to say. He mentioned some of the things he wants to do to improve Case. He said the Ohio student quota is "history," but I'm not sure if that is finalized yet. He also said that the school will try to improve financial aid packages to attract more high caliber students afraid of the cost. They are building a new research building and I think he stated that they will be bringing in 60-80 new researchers. He said that they will look to improve the curriculum too. It seems like he is definitely committed to ensuring that Case will be a top notch school in the years to come.

They have been actively changing the curriculum over the last 4 years. There was a major change when I started.

The research building is not going to change your day to day education.

Dropping the Ohio quota would have to be approved by the board of trustees, and like I said before: I'm not saying it won't be done, but 99 out 100 times, money speaks louder than shiney new deans.

I think CWRU attracts high caliber students already. They already have Deans scholarships for these situations and I think overall they are a huge waste of money.

Don't worry about stuff like this. Visit the school a second time and try to get a "gut" impression. Try to imagine if you would like it there. Go to the school you would like the most for the amount of money you are paying.

You're not going to be worried about research funds, USN&WR rankings, the Dean's promises, if you end up miserable.

mike

Hi future M1's,

For those of you coming to take a second look in the near future, who are concerned about *housing* options, my prospective roommate for next year has decided to take an alternative option. So, I have one to two bedrooms that need to be rented. I can afford just one roommate, but total cost including utilities will be around $650 then.

It is a 4 br side by side duplex in cleveland heights, about a 5 minute drive from school. 8-10 minutes in the morning. well maintained and in a good neighborhood. I am female and will be a third year in July. I have a very sweet dog who will be staying (hopefully) except during surgery which I am doing in July/Aug, and FP which I will probably be doing away in Dec.

PM me if you want more info or will be in town and want to see it.

Welcome!

pcl
MSII, CWRU-SOM

so i have been debating the whole housing situation at case...i think i def want a roommate although i am not sure i want that roommate to be a med student...i wanna be able to get away from school and stuff when i am at home...but i am sure that i could find some cool students that wouldnt be all about talking about the day's lecture when i got home...so how is everyone going about doing the housing thing...i will be in cleveland in early may so i will have a chance to look around...the thought of living in a house is appealing but then again it could mean a lot more hassle...any thoughts

The secretary keeps a list of people seeking roommates or landlords who have housing available. She is on vacation this week though, so you might wait until next week.

There are all sorts of arrangements that people come up with for housing. Some people live with a roommate first year, then live alone or vice versa. Some people want to walk, others prefer driving to school. This changes where you are going to look quite a bit. It is a definite benefit to have a car in Cleveland. Some people find law school or other roommates. One guy in my class is an RA in the dorms. A few MSTP's and married students bought houses.

Landlords really make the difference as to how much hassle there is involved in the living situation.

Good Luck!
pcl
MSII

Hey, was anybody here invited to apply for one of the scholarships? If so, has anybody heard word? The letter says that those selected will hear by April 25. No word for me :(

I don't wanna bother the admissions people until after the 25th, but I would think that they would let all the people who didn't recieve one know.

Good luck to everyone! :)

TroutBum,

good luck! keeping fingers crossed for you. :)

Thanks Louweezel :)

Have you made your final choice yet?

Hey, was anybody here invited to apply for one of the scholarships? If so, has anybody heard word? The letter says that those selected will hear by April 25. No word for me :(

I don't wanna bother the admissions people until after the 25th, but I would think that they would let all the people who didn't recieve one know.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Nope, I haven't heard anything yet. If I don't get a scholarship I hope I get at least some grants to help me out. I did get a letter yesterday saying to start thinking about withdrawing from other schools or from Case and to make a decision.

Originally posted by relatively prime
Anyone know when orientation starts?

I think orientation starts August 4th.

Nope, I haven't heard anything yet. If I don't get a scholarship I hope I get at least some grants to help me out. I did get a letter yesterday saying to start thinking about withdrawing from other schools or from Case and to make a decision.

Hey mws99, I got that letter too. I frickin drove me nuts because I thought at first it was news about $$. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey mws99, I got that letter too. I frickin drove me nuts because I thought at first it was news about $$. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I know what you mean... I actually called the FA office yesterday (they were very nice). The secretary said that my file was ready for processing, and I could expect my letter shortly after that - she said by the end of this week or early next week. FYI, I had all of my stuff submitted around the end of March.

TroutBum - are you into fly fishing? Ohio has some nice streams... I got a 24" steelhead this past weekend...

LL

So has anyone received word of $$$$ yet?

Hey everyone, I called the admissions folks today--they are just a little behind on getting word out about the scholarships to everyone, so sit tight if you're waiting. For me, they said my letter would be going out tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey everyone, I called the admissions folks today--they are just a little behind on getting word out about the scholarships to everyone, so sit tight if you're waiting. For me, they said my letter would be going out tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Troutbum,

Did they said they would send letters even if you don't get the scholarship? I don't just want to be left hanging if I don't get one.

Thanks

Hew mws99, they implied that everyone would get a letter. I'll PM you to give you more details. I tried to earlier, but for whatever reason it's taking forever. . .

Hey all! I'm brand new to this whole SDN thing, but I'll almost certainly (about 90%) be heading out to Case Western in a couple of months and thought I'd say hello to everyone else who's gonna be there. Have people been finding places to live already? I've been trying to make up my mind on schools and, now that I'm finally making plans for Cleveland I'm worried I'm behind the curve on arranging housing...any suggestions?