Official: Cwru Class Of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are definitely not behind the housing curve. Most people give thirty to sixty day notice to their landlords around here, so places for July 1 are just *starting* to open.

Check with Marlene English in Admissions, and also with the shaker heights and cleveland heights relocation services. Also with the off-campus housing listings available at the cwru main page. Plan to come here and spend at least a solid day looking for apartments. Quality varies dramatically, although prices are fairly moderate.

Good Luck!
Welcome to Cleveland!

PCL
MSII CWRU-SOM

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I called the financial aid office yesterday because I still had not received a letter, and they told me the amount of my financial aid package over the phone. So any of you who are impatient like me, give them a call! :D They are very friendly and helpful!

Oy. You must have talked to someone different. I called today, and the lady said that it went out yesterday, but she wouldn't tell me over the phone or email it to me. Hmmm...

And my mail is so slow...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Card141
Hey all! I'm brand new to this whole SDN thing, but I'll almost certainly (about 90%) be heading out to Case Western in a couple of months and thought I'd say hello to everyone else who's gonna be there. Have people been finding places to live already? I've been trying to make up my mind on schools and, now that I'm finally making plans for Cleveland I'm worried I'm behind the curve on arranging housing...any suggestions?

Join us.... See the helpful infos in this thread about how to get housing, and the Waldorf Towers is where I'll be staying, though it's not the cheapest or most exciting option, it's the easiest and apparently the unofficial 'freshman dorm' for the professional schools.

Jade~

Hey Jade...thanks for the welcome and the tip on the Waldorf!
PCL, thanks for the info re. the housing office.

Hi!
I found a website for Waldorf Towers with vacancies and floor plans:
http://www.springstreet.com/apartments/fyp/search/brochure/brochure.jhtml?pid=396519&cPointer=0&tc=dtls

Hmm, I think I messed up inserting that link- try doing a Google search with "waldorf towers cleveland heights" as the search parameter if that doesn't work.

Jadeite, I might be joining you in there, I'm going to be doing the housing scramble depending on when my fiance (husband in ten days!) gets the job thing nailed down. It's not so bad looking and I heard a rumor they have a pool! And parking!

Good luck with financial aid and scholarships everyone! I think I'm going to be selling my soul to the Stafford Loan people...

ketchupgirl:)

hmm, i think that part about the pool really was just an ugly rumor, but the website says they serve a complimentary continental breakfast!?!?
:D

Originally posted by KBCoch
Oy. You must have talked to someone different. I called today, and the lady said that it went out yesterday, but she wouldn't tell me over the phone or email it to me. Hmmm...

And my mail is so slow...

Yeah, that's really weird. I *think* I talked to someone named Shelley. Maybe you could ask for her when you call. She didn't hesitate to give out the info, no questions asked.

Originally posted by ketchupgirl
hmm, i think that part about the pool really was just an ugly rumor, but the website says they serve a complimentary continental breakfast!?!?
:D

Yeah! Every morning. It's right by the entrance so you can grab a few bagels/doughnuts as you run off to class in the morning. That is a big perk.

Jade~

Hey everyone...I just joined SDN and wanted to say "what's up" to my future classmates.

How are you guys paying for your apartments at Waldorf Towers? They budget only $610 a month and I thought we could only get Stafford Loans for what the school budgets us for. Do you have to apply for private loans to pay the extra cost? I'm interested in living there too, but I just don't know where that extra money comes from.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in August!

so i think i am 80% sure that come may 15th i will be holding onto my case acceptance...so i am think obviously about housing...i think i would be cool to live in a house with other med/grad students...but have no clue bout how to do it...i checked the housing website and didnt see much about roommates in houses...maybe i went to the wrong place or something...any help

Marlene English in the admissions office coordinates the roommate hunt for first years. Just call the admissions office and ask for her. She is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I am officially NOT going to CWRU but I am keeping my house in Cleveland Hts. and would like to let y'all know about the apartment that will be available in it starting July 1.

First the house is on a quiet street in Cleveland Hts. (The Cedar-Lee neighborood) less than 2 miles from CWRU. It has a one bedroom apartment and two two bedroom apartments. The apartment that is available is a two bedroom on the second floor (I'm living there now.)

It has: Two bedrooms, big kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom, and a HUGE front porch that I will miss very much. All floors are hardwood, and every room has been painted/renovated in the last 12 months. Laundry is free ~ the machines are in the basement. You pay utilities except for water. Asking price is $780/mo +1 month deposit.

Sorry for the advertisement, but what the hell. :) I plan on showing the place in late May and Early June. PM me if you're interested. It's a great place and I'm sad to be moving out. I'm also a very good landlord and will only be living about 45 minutes away.

Edit: You also get one parking space in the garage and additional parking is available from the city for $20/mo.

-Zoobaby

Got my financial aid stuff today! CWRU dollars: $0!

Well, not unexpected but disappointing none-the-less. Destiny, thy name is Stafford!

Jade~

Originally posted by Jadeite

Well, not unexpected but disappointing none-the-less. Destiny, thy name is Stafford!

Jade~

Hey Jade, sorry to hear about the $.

Would you mind posting the breakdown of Sub/Unsub/private loans? I might be at Case if I get in off of the alternate list.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
Hey Jade, sorry to hear about the $.

Would you mind posting the breakdown of Sub/Unsub/private loans? I might be at Case if I get in off of the alternate list.

I dunno if it will be helpful for you, most of it was seriously $0. You're better off asking someone who got money from case, I'm even curious to know what kind of grants/scholarships I'm missing out on.

It says: "This year's budget for the class of 2007 is $52680." Which is pretty exciting.

Originally posted by euv3x:

I will be going to Case this August and wanted to know who my future classmates are ! Add a post if you plan to attend. Also, if you are going to be in Cleveland over the summer and what you are doing.

thanks!

I will be in Cleveland this summer. But that's because I'm from Cleveland... ;)

I'm finishing up my job here at the Cleveland Clinic on July 11th. I'm taking the last three weeks of July to work on the new house that my wife and I just bought in University Heights. We take posession on May 30th! :clap:

It might be fun to get together with some future classmates... Anyone in Cleveland up for getting a beer sometime?

And Jade - sorry about the financial aid! I'm still waiting for my package, but I doubt that I will be getting anything but federal loans...

LL

In case anyone was wondering about housing, I talked to the Admissions Office today and they said they will send out information packets with housing options in the beginning of June. But, they said that if you go there sooner you can just pop into the office and they will give you a map and some ideas about where to look for apartments.

Originally posted by DoubleL
I'm finishing up my job here at the Cleveland Clinic on July 11th. I'm taking the last three weeks of July to work on the new house that my wife and I just bought in University Heights. We take posession on May 30th! :clap:

It might be fun to get together with some future classmates... Anyone in Cleveland up for getting a beer sometime?

I'll be moving to Cleveland permanently by July 30th. I really think we SDNers should have some kind of 'party' up there on maybe the 1st of August to get to know each other ahead of time. I'd offer to have it at my apartment, but it's pretty small....

Jade~

Hello- I am going to try this again, I am new to the whole SDN and posted a new thread instead of adding to this one! (thanks LL) Anyways, I will be part of the 2007 class and was wondering if anyone is going to be up in Cleveland this summer? I will be there in June and want to get to know the city some, if you guys want to get together and meet future classmates post a reply.

thanks!

I'm curious. Anyone turning down Pitt for Case? I'd be interested in picking your brain.

Jade and euv3x (and everyone else, of course): I think a little SDN/CWRU get together could definitely be in order. I won't be moving out there until late July-ish, but I'm planning a couple of quick trips for apartment hunting, getting to know the city, etc. Let me know when y'all are thinking of having the party and I can try to coordinate. If not beforehand, let's at least do something after everyone's in town for school.

On a (somewhat) separate note.....if folks out there are still trying to find roomates for next fall, drop me a line. For those who haven't talked to her yet, Marlene English in the Admissions Office has profiles on 1st Years looking for roomates. I've filled one out via phone, but I thought I'd put a notice on here as well.

Originally posted by Card141
Jade and euv3x (and everyone else, of course): I think a little SDN/CWRU get together could definitely be in order. I won't be moving out there until late July-ish, but I'm planning a couple of quick trips for apartment hunting, getting to know the city, etc. Let me know when y'all are thinking of having the party and I can try to coordinate. If not beforehand, let's at least do something after everyone's in town for school.

I am definitely up for this too... Anyone want to pick a date? Say sometime in mid-June? Friday the 13th or Friday the 20th? These are just suggestions so if anyone knows when they will be town, speak up!

LL

I am definitely up for this too... Anyone want to pick a date? Say sometime in mid-June? Friday the 13th or Friday the 20th? These are just suggestions so if anyone knows when they will be town, speak up!

LL

I am def. up for the 13th, drinks sounds like a good idea. Anyone else for this day, or some day in June?

I'm in! I'd love to meet some future classmates when I come out to look for a place in June.

And speaking of that, how exactly does one get around to look for a place when one goes to Cleveland? By foot? Renting a vehicle?

for housing, I got a map of cleveland and rented a car. good websites to check out places are rent.com, montlackrealty.com, la-management.com.

Originally posted by mws99

KBCoch, you made the right choice.;)

Dang skippy I did! I'm stoked, and I just called Marlene to put my name on the roommate list. Now I just have to plan a trip out to look for a place. I guess I have to find a roommate/roommates first though.

Cleveland, here I come.

Welcome to CWRU, KBCoch! See you in August!

Yes, congratulations!

I am still looking for a future roommate or two, so if you might be interested in living with a third year and her very adorable dog, please PM me. I can show it whenever you are available. The house is great, includes a washer and dryer, off street parking, already hooked up with all utilities, cable modem equipped, has hardwood floors, working fireplace, sunroom, a balcony off the second floorstudy/tv room, front porch off living room, patio in the back yard, dishwasher (key) and is in a great neighborhood.

benefits of living with a third year: I will be home rarely, especially during the day. i already know my way around and can help you figure out cleveland also. you can use all my books and such from previous committees... also, you can make friends in other classes. this may not sound so great now, but it is nice to expand your circle of friends a bit after you spend five hours a day with the same 140 people. :)

benefits of living with a dog: great pal when med school sucks. you don't have to pay for food or vet bills and he will still love you all the same. tries his best to make you not get fat by begging you for daily walks. (has not been successful in my case, but he certainly tries!)

:)

pcl

FYI: There was a shooting at CWRU today. Here's the link to the CNN story.

:( :( :(

Originally posted by Jadeite

Jade~

I finally got my financial aid stuff late last week, with the same result: $0 from CWRU. Glad I spent so much time meticulously filling out the FAFSA and Need Access forms.

They are mistaken if they expect me (and my parents) to do that every year just so they can say "you get no money" again!

Looks like I will be taking out the maximum in Stafford loans...

And anyone who wants to get together in June: post when you will be in town!

LL

Hey, everyone. I'm thinking a bit ahead here, but does anyone know what the deal with the white coat ceremony is? I hear that it is on the first day of orientation, and I hear that the first day of orientation is Aug. 4th. What I'm wondering is if this is a big enough deal that immediate family members would want to pay a plane ticket and hotel to come see? I would hate to have people drop all of that cash and then have it turn out to be anti-climactic.

p.s. If anyone is looking for a roommate/roommates, call the admissions office and put your name on the list. I called Friday, and there weren't many people on it yet. I expect maybe people are waiting until their final decision is official.

See you all soon!

Originally posted by euv3x
I am def. up for the 13th, drinks sounds like a good idea. Anyone else for this day, or some day in June?

Hey, has this gone anywhere? I'll be in town June 16-19, I'd love to meet up with anybody who'll be in Cleveland then.

Have any of you decided which lender you will use? It seems like T.H.E. is the better deal.

Originally posted by KBCoch
Hey, everyone. I'm thinking a bit ahead here, but does anyone know what the deal with the white coat ceremony is? I hear that it is on the first day of orientation, and I hear that the first day of orientation is Aug. 4th. What I'm wondering is if this is a big enough deal that immediate family members would want to pay a plane ticket and hotel to come see? I would hate to have people drop all of that cash and then have it turn out to be anti-climactic.

That depends on you and your parents. From listening to others, I think CWRU does a nice job with its ceremony. The highlight being a speech by Fratianne, an older surgery professor... he gives the speech each year. If you can make it into a couple of days of spending time with your family, it will be nice.

mike

I remember a while back there was a thread about cell phones on different med school campuses. Do any of you current CWRU students have any insight into what carriers seem to be better for Case?

Originally posted by TroutBum
I remember a while back there was a thread about cell phones on different med school campuses. Do any of you current CWRU students have any insight into what carriers seem to be better for Case?

There is no problem getting cell phone coverage on the Case campus. We have all of the major ones around here... AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.

I use an AT&T phone and I haven't had any problems...

LL

Has anyone returned their financial aid award letter yet? It seems that they want you to complete steps 1 and 2 before doing so. Step number 2 is to complete the Stafford Master Promissory Note. It says that in a few weeks instructions for doing this will appear on the website. Does anyone know what's up with this? Is it on the website somewhere and I'm just not finding it, or has no one been able to complete the promissory note yet?

On another note, I may have a job in Cleveland this summer! So when is this SDN meet and greet shindiggity going down? If the job comes through, I'm there.

Hey KB, I assumed that meant that we would be getting instructions in the mail. I've been sitting on mine since I got the letter, over a week ago.

Have you had any luck with step 1? I can never get the link to the Entrance Counseling site to connect.

There is no problem getting cell phone coverage on the Case campus. We have all of the major ones around here... AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, etc.

I use an AT&T phone and I haven't had any problems...

LL

Cool, thanks.

Hey everyone -

I emailed the financial aid office about that web site (finaid.cwru.edu/externalloans.aspx) because I can't get it to work either.

Wanda Rollins said: "I am looking into this matter for you, but may not have an answer until next Tuesday. I will be out of the office until May 27th.
Waiting will not prevent you from getting your loan on time."

So... I still don't know whether to send in the form or not...

I think I'm going to hold on to it for a little while longer. After all, it is still only May...

As for the get-together... It looks like TroutBum will be here on June 16-19th (Mon-Thurs) and a couple of others mentioned June 13th. Anybody else want to chime in before we set a date...?

LL

Whoops... spoke too soon. It looks like the website now works....

LL

I did Step 1 sometime last week and didn't have any problems. I don't remember what day it was. Something must have happened with it since then.

I sent the form back with the box checked saying that I am in the process of filling out the MPN with the lender I chose. They said they wanted the form back as soon as possible and I think they give you further directions when you pick a lender and accept their financial offer.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this picking a lender all about? Does that mean finding loans outside of the staffords for what they expected your family to chip in?

You have to pick the lender you want your Stafford Loan disbursed through. Each have their own repayment incentives so you have to pick which one you think has the best deal. Case recommends either Acess Group at www.accessgroup.org or Total Higher Education at www.northstar.org .

Aahhh... I see. Thanks for the heads up. Is this info on the website as well? I think my undergrad staffords came through Sallie Mae.

I'll figure this all out sooner or later...