Official: Cwru Class Of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if it is on the website, but it was on a white sheet that was sent along with the financial aid award letter. It said "Incoming Students" in bold letters on the top.

Members don't see this ad.

AHA! No wonder I'm clueless! I got no such "Incoming Students" white paper in my award envelope. Anything else important on it that I should know?

Yeah, I don't know what happened. They didn't send it when they initially gave me the financial aid letter, but they had to send me another one and that white sheet was inside. I'll type what the sheet had on it because I bet a lot of people didn't get it.

It says, "Incoming Students: The next step of the financial aid process requires you to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) with a Lender. There are many different lenders to choose from, each with different loan terms and repayment incentives. Based on our past experience , the current terms and incentives, and anticipated changes in the future we suggest one of the following lenders:
CWRU-Stafford, Follow the instructions on the enclosed green sheet
Access Group, visit them online at www.accessgroup.org or call 1-800-282-1550
Total Higher Education (THE), visit them online at www.northstar.org or call 1-888-843-004.

You may wish to use the same lender as your undergraduate loans, but please be aware that we cannot process Direct Loans.

After you have made you lender selection, follow their instruction on completing the MPN. IN ADDITION to completion of the MPN, you must also complete the enclosed Allocation Acceptance Letter and return both forms to our office."

Then it has some stuff for continuing students and the bottom says that our loans will be disbursed the week of August 4th for the class of 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also choose Case Western to be your lender--I believe the green sheet that came with the award letter explains the incentives that Case offers to pick them as your lender.

If you have undergrad loans with a different lender, it might be easier to stick with them, but if you had direct loans for undergrad (like I did) the Case option seems pretty good.

Though we wont be 2nd years for over a week from now, the 06ers welcome you to CWRU!! Looks like you guys are a cool bunch, so the admissions guys seem to have done a good job ;)

Originally posted by TroutBum
You can also choose Case Western to be your lender--I believe the green sheet that came with the award letter explains the incentives that Case offers to pick them as your lender.

If you have undergrad loans with a different lender, it might be easier to stick with them, but if you had direct loans for undergrad (like I did) the Case option seems pretty good.

You're right, I skipped right over that, I'll edit my post.

no financial aid letter...i am getting a little antsy...i just want to know how much of my soul i am selling

cp how long ago did you submit your stuff? i found them to be pretty quick, and i did it late...

on the issue of fin. aid--can anyone tell me what happens after you complete that silly little online tutorial? do you have to wait for something before applying formally applying thru cwru? thanks a bunch--
see everyone in august!!!!

around may15th...if not before...still no word...i dont want to be a pest but i need to know whats going on

mine took a little over 2 weeks, if that helps.
also, i think the office may be a bit slower these days because all returning students had to submit april 30....

I called the FA office yesturday. After you do the online tutorial, you just have to wait till they send you the instructions on how to complete a Master Promissory Note. But does anyne know where I can look for an extra loan (beyond the 52K) to buy a car? Thanks.

I haven't recieved my award packet yet (it is in the mail), but I talked to the FA office and they told me the figures, and it doesn't look too good. It seems like they just multiplied my parents combined yearly income after taxes by .25 and made that the family contribution. My parents don't make much at all but with that kind of calculation it still kills me. Has anybody else been shafted similarly? I feel like I may have to go elsewhere or become an Army of One (groan).

Now that this admissions nonsense is pretty much all over... I'm pretty excited about starting Case. Anyone thinking of living in National Terminal Warehouse? If you qualify for the discounted rate (which I'm pretty sure students do...) the rent is only $580/month for a one bedroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by scriznik
I haven't recieved my award packet yet (it is in the mail), but I talked to the FA office and they told me the figures, and it doesn't look too good. It seems like they just multiplied my parents combined yearly income after taxes by .25 and made that the family contribution. My parents don't make much at all but with that kind of calculation it still kills me. Has anybody else been shafted similarly? I feel like I may have to go elsewhere or become an Army of One (groan).

You can go higher on your unsubsidized stafford loan to cover any expected "parent contribution." Some parents are unable (or unwilling) to contribute despite their calculations.

Originally posted by mikecwru
You can go higher on your unsubsidized stafford loan to cover any expected "parent contribution." Some parents are unable (or unwilling) to contribute despite their calculations.

That is what I did. CWRU expected my parents to pay for half of the annual budget, which they politely declined to do.

So, I just crossed out the numbers on the award letter and put $8500 for subsidized and $30000 for unsubsidized and sent it back. This was OK to do, according to Wanda Rollins in the FA office (who is very nice and helpful). But we'll see...

Ah, $160,000 in debt!

LL

thanks for the input, so I guess I can say...voila! 200,000 in debt!

On my FA award, I was given a combo of grants, and three kinds of loans: A CWRU loan, a subsidized stafford Loan, and an Unsubsidized stafford. Did anyone else get the CWRU Loan on their package?

The CWRU FA website says:

CWRU LOANS:

All university loans are part of the medical school financial aid package and are guided by the policies and procedures of the University Student Loan Office. The Financial Aid Director of the School of Medicine determines the amount of loan awarded, based on the financial need of the student and the availability of funds. Loans are repayable over a five-year period in equal installments. Interest is calculated at an annual percentage rate of 8%. Repayment begins six months after medical students are finished with their residency with the minimum monthly payment being $25. In the event of the borrower's death, any unpaid portion of the CWRU loans will be canceled.

The 8% interest rate and their repayment period don't sound too good to me (unless I'm missing something), esp. since interest rates are super low. Unfortunately, my letter also says I have to accept the CWRU loan in order to get any grant money...tough choice :rolleyes:

So, did everybody get their housing information? I signed a lease on an apartment on Overlook today. It seems like the perfect place to be if you want to be within walking distance. There really wasn't that much to choose from so I think it is best to pick a place ASAP.

Originally posted by mws99
So, did everybody get their housing information? I signed a lease on an apartment on Overlook today. It seems like the perfect place to be if you want to be within walking distance. There really wasn't that much to choose from so I think it is best to pick a place ASAP.

Cool! You will like Overlook. I just moved away from 2419 Overlook last week. What building are you in?

LL

relatively prime--
where is national terminal warehouse? is it walkable from school like the overlook apts are? do they have studios for less?

Originally posted by DoubleL
Cool! You will like Overlook. I just moved away from 2419 Overlook last week. What building are you in?

LL

Lewis Manor (2477 Overlook). I've got a room with a good view of the courtyard and it seems like a good building and the staff was really nice. It was more than the budget so I'll have to really watch my spending to make up that money in other areas. I will be on my parents insurance so that will give me an extra $85 a month but I'll need to take some out of the $300 a month personal we get.

You just bought a house, right? So I guess you'll have to live like a poor student too.

Hey everyone -

Just seeing who has made it into town yet. I've talked to ejb3x by email, and it looks like mws99 is here too. Do you all want to get together sometime? If you guys are in town the weekend of the fourth, I'll offer up my place to meet. I've got a big grill and we can get some beers and chill in the Cleveland sunshine...

Also, has anyone heard anything lately from CWRU? I sent in my financial aid stuff over a month ago and haven't heard back yet. And that packet we got with the housing info had a flier that a class schedule would be coming "shortly", but I haven't heard a peep since then...

LL

My lease doesn't start until the beginning of August so I won't be in Cleveland until then. But we should all definitely get together sometime before classes start so we know each other going in. Maybe a couple of days before orientation we can all meet somewhere.

I thought one of the letters said we would be getting more info in the mail in early July, that is why we had to return that form with our address on it.

Hey there. DoubleL, I'm waiting to get the instructions for filling out my promissory note for my Stafford Loan, and the financial aid people told me if you haven't gotten it yet it will be mailed out July 1.

Also, the holdup with the info on schedules and stuff is that they are trying to push back the start date a few days, but haven't been able to work out the logistics yet. At least that's the scoop I got from some buddies who are there. Very annoying, I must say, even if it does give us a few more days of freedom.

See you all soon!

hi all-
i talked with the ladies in the admissions office on friday and they tell me that the new schedule will have orientatoin beginning on thursday august 7th and continuing thru the 8th, and our first class will begin on the afternoon of the 8th. the white coat ceremony will be on sunday the 10th with a reception following. also, fin aid said they will be mailing out master promissory notes on july 1st. they are waiting in order to assure that we get the lowest rate possible (rates should go down july 1). if anyone does make any plans for a get together, please send me an e-mail at [email protected] and let me know. i've been working in a lab here for a year and know a couple of other people who will be classmates that have done the same. hopefully i can recruit them for an event as well (though they may well be on this message board!). i won't be here for the 4th, but otherwise i'm always down to chill. look forward to meeting everyone -ben

It's true, the dates are moved back! (Admissions office says they'll be mailing out notices today.)

I'll be in Cleveland starting July 30th. We definitely need to schedule some pre-orientation party time!

hey a pre-orientation get together sounds great. i'll be there end of july also....
that's good news about pushing back orientation, a few extra days to get settled!

Hi -

Again, if anyone hasn't found a room, there is still one room available in my duplex. It's 10X11, kind of on the small side, but rent is $300 poss neg., and Utilities should be about $80 total... so less loans to take out, or more money to spend....

It's about 1.5 miles from school, not really walkable, but an easy bike ride, or drive.

Live with one third year female, one first year female, and one adorable, calm 6 year old Austrialian Shepherd (favorite activity, sleeping)

The house is very spacious, has washer and dryer free in basement, parking included, a porch, sunroom, balcony of the second floor den, working fireplace, patio, fenced back yard. Big, clean kitchen with dishwasher, disposal, all other appliances.

I have pictures online if you would like to see what it looks like.

Welcome to Case!

pcl

So, what is everybody going to do about the microscope? It seems like the best thing to do would be to just buy a used one off of a third year and then sell it to some other incoming student in a couple years. Does anyone know if students can just share a microscope with someone else? I wouldn't mind splitting the cost with someone else if we won't be using it too often.

Hey, I happen to be a third year looking to unload a microscope. I bought it for $725, and was thinking of selling it for around $650. I'm not sure what it costs to rent one. I'm also not sure about sharing scopes the first year, but some of my friends did it second year. The scope is a really nice one so if anyone is interested let me know. I can show it to you when you come to Cleveland if your not already here. "Oh I've seen moles so big...they had their own moles!" -Cosmo

BUMP!

23 days and counting. Hope you all are squeezing every last ounce of enjoyment out of the summer. I definitely am--off for a week of fly fishing the Madison tomorrow!

See you guys soon!

Originally posted by TroutBum
BUMP!

23 days and counting. Hope you all are squeezing every last ounce of enjoyment out of the summer. I definitely am--off for a week of fly fishing the Madison tomorrow!

See you guys soon!

Awesome. I hope you catch some nice fish...

I'm keeping busy by painting, painting, painting.

I'm (still) around Cleveland, so if anyone is sufficiently motived to organize a get-together, let me know!

On another note, I got something in the mail from the Financial Aid office yesterday (the University FA office, not the SOM FA office) about my federal loans. But I still haven't gotten a Master Promisory Note from CWRU. Has anybody gotten theirs yet? It may be time for a phone call...

See you all soon!

LL

I just received the master promissary note, but it was sent to my permanent address from AMCAS and not the current one where I live. But I was worried last week too and when I called the fin.aid office, they said a batch just got sent out last week..

Originally posted by nerak
I just received the master promissary note, but it was sent to my permanent address from AMCAS and not the current one where I live. But I was worried last week too and when I called the fin.aid office, they said a batch just got sent out last week..

Yeah, I was in the cleveland area last week and stopped by the fin aid office who said they'd send a bunch of them out on friday the 11th. I hope this delay doesn't affect the disbursement in any way. Nothing we can do but wait I guess...

I called the financial aid office today and they said they were having problems with the inputing they did on the 7th and 8th of July and thus the promissary notes of the affected students hadn't been sent out. It's weeks away from the start of classes and they didn't sound concerned, so maybe we should just chill out. :)

I'll be in town starting the 30th of July, so if anyone sees a 6'4" chick wandering around Cleveland/CWRU after that date... I respond to "Brooke".

I got the invitation today for the white coat ceremony. For some reason it made me nervous because I'm really starting to think about school starting back up again. I'm excited, but I don't want summer to end either.

I'm moving in August 2nd. I don't know what I'm going to do before classes start, probably just walk/ drive around to try and learn the area somewhat.

Has anyone filled out their MPN online yet? If so, did it list the unsubsidized stafford as two separate loans? I thought that was strange...

Originally posted by MDin200?
Has anyone filled out their MPN online yet? If so, did it list the unsubsidized stafford as two separate loans? I thought that was strange...

It did the same thing for me! I even called them up because I actually only got a letter about ONE of my unsubsidized loans in the mail and I was wondering where the rest of it was!

Jade~

I called the F.A. office because mine was also one of the applications that was processed on the day with the computer glitch. She directed me to a website, and I was able to electronically sign my MPN online. Here?s the web address: www. laureate.salliemae.com. I was also told that its normal for the unsub. To be separated, - this is supposedly how they are doing it for entering students.

Hey everyone -

That's good news about the MPN - mine did the same thing.

I got another packet in the mail today with some more random info. Just a head's up about the parking: call now if you want a spot on campus!

The only lot with spaces left (and that is anywhere near the med school) is #44. The big parking garage (#53) near the SOM is full and there is always a waiting list. You can reserve a spot on line at parking.cwru.edu, or you can call parking at 216-368-2724.

Parking is a hassle at CWRU - when I was a grad student I was classified as a "commuter" and had to park in a lot way down Euclid Ave. and take a shuttle bus into campus. So call now if you want a spot!

When is everyone getting into town? I think we should go ahead and set a date and location for a get-together... I am going to be bold and suggest the Winking Lizard in Coventry on Saturday, August 2nd. If people are still not here (or are busy unpacking) we can move it back a few days... The SDN nerds can form a clique before school even starts!

See you all soon! :clap:

LL

I am going to be bold and suggest the Winking Lizard in Coventry on Saturday, August 2nd. If people are still not here (or are busy unpacking) we can move it back a few days... The SDN nerds can form a clique before school even starts!

See you all soon! :clap:

LL

Sounds good to me!
Jade~

Hey Case-Westerners, what bank are you guys planning to use in Cleveland? I'm going to be living in Cleveland Heights, so maybe the closest bank? Or in between the heights and the med school? The one with an ATM in the hospital? I forgot to search for a close bank when I was in town!

Jade~

Originally posted by Jadeite
Hey Case-Westerners, what bank are you guys planning to use in Cleveland? I'm going to be living in Cleveland Heights, so maybe the closest bank? Or in between the heights and the med school? The one with an ATM in the hospital? I forgot to search for a close bank when I was in town!

Jade~

I'll be using National City. There's an ATM on the medical campus and there are a bunch of ATM's and branches in the area too. They have free checking and no fee savings if you keep your balance above $300. You can apply for all that online if there isn't a branch near you. Jadeite, we are practically neighbors, I live just a little farther up Overlook.

What time at Winking Lizard? I'm moving in that day, so if it is later in the afternoon I will definitely be there. But if not, we can all wear SDN T-shirts and sit in the back the first day of class;) .

What time at Winking Lizard? I'm moving in that day, so if it is later in the afternoon I will definitely be there. But if not, we can all wear SDN T-shirts and sit in the back the first day of class;) .

Any time that day - later is fine. Let's say 7:00 PM...?

If anyone doesn't know how to get there, let me know and I can give you directions (it is in Cleveland Heights, near most of the apartments, and only about a mile from the school).

I don't own an SDN t-shirt. :(

See you all soon!

LL

Any time that day - later is fine. Let's say 7:00 PM...?

If anyone doesn't know how to get there, let me know and I can give you directions (it is in Cleveland Heights, near most of the apartments, and only about a mile from the school).

That sounds good.

So, is anybody going to the pre-orientation on August 6th? It would probably be helpful, but I hate to lose my last day of summer.

Hey everyone, I'd definitely be down for meeting up on the 2nd. I'm thinking of doing the pre-orientation-it's just the afternoon, and it couldn't hurt, right?

I called the FA office today, and they still haven't prepared my promissory note--they were missing some information from me or something like that, apparently. Wonderful. And I was going to be hearing about this when??? Anyways, they said that there should be no problem with the disbursement date, just as long as it's taken care of before classes start.

DoubleL--the fly-fishing was absolutely fantastic, the best I've had in years. The Madison was on fire, and I caught a 20" gulper on Hegben lake. I even hit the salmonfly hatch for the very first time. It was late in the hatch so the fish were already stuffed full of bugs which made it tougher (definitely not the free-for-all you hear and dream about) but it was killer all the same. It was a very nice way to end the summer. . .

See you all soon!

I don't have an SDN t-shirt either:(

That sounds good.

So, is anybody going to the pre-orientation on August 6th? It would probably be helpful, but I hate to lose my last day of summer.

I'll be there. I think it's good policy to attend as many free lunches as possible. Besides, they have speeches from students on what to expect and.... er... free lunch!

Jade~

Bumping...

Just reminding everyone: 7:00 PM tomorrow (Saturday, August 2nd) at the Winking Lizard in Coventry.

Here's a mapquest map of the area:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...+heights&state=OH&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

Can we maybe get a quick head count? (But I guess we can always start out at the bar and then get a table when everyone gets there...)

See you all soon!

LL

PS - Does this feel like freshman year of college again or what?

Hey, I'll be there. It looks like there will be four of us. So should we all just meet at the bar?

I can't believe school is almost starting!:eek:

Hey all, posting from the medical library on Adelbert and Euclid! (I think these computers are only for research, but I won't have internet in my apartment until tomorrow at the earliest!)

I'll be there, most definitely. I hope we recognize each other! What does a medical student look like?

Jade~

Bumping...

Just reminding everyone: 7:00 PM tomorrow (Saturday, August 2nd) at the Winking Lizard in Coventry.

Here's a mapquest map of the area:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...+heights&state=OH&zipcode=&homesubmit=Get+Map

Can we maybe get a quick head count? (But I guess we can always start out at the bar and then get a table when everyone gets there...)

See you all soon!

LL

PS - Does this feel like freshman year of college again or what?