This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Med school: Low-tier/unranked MD school in Northeast
Step 1: 240s
Class rank: 1st or 2nd quartile (not released yet and school does not have AOA).
Clinical grades: H in IM, psych; HP in Surg, ObGyn; P in peds, family.
Research: 1 first author publication, 3 middle authors publications, 1 international conference oral (1st author), 5 national conference posters (4 1st authors)

What are my chances at matching at a top tier program on the west coast (UCSD, UCLA, UCSF, Stanford) given my schools lack of prestige and my less than perfect grades? Not dead set on matching at these places but was wondering if my research could possibly make up for some of my weaknesses.

Agree with W19. You probably won't get more than 1 interview offers from those 4 places you mentioned. For reference, I had step scores above 260, H in everything + AOA, less research, and only got 1 interview (admittedly at UCSF, quick rejections from the other 3). IM is very competitive at the top. Doesn't hurt to apply, but I'd target Washington,Oregon,USC,etc and even they might be reaches unless you have very strong reasons to head back to the West Coast.

Members don't see this ad.

@bletkqru before you totally panic, you're a competitive IM applicant for a lot of programs-- just not those four. If you're slightly less geographically and "prestige"-ly picky, you'll land somewhere good.

Med school: Mid-tier MD program
Step 1: 254
Class rank: 1st quartile, AOA not available to apply to yet
Clinical grades: H in IM and Surgery, HP in Peds, rest of the rotations are yet to come
Research: 1 home institution presentation, no publications, 3 current research projects
Lots of community service volunteering and a paid position during M2/M3 year as an M1 tutor
Letters: 2 strong, hopefully will get a strong sub-I letter during summer

I really want to go back home to California, where all my family and my SO live. How competitive am I for the top-tier and mid-tier programs, especially with my glaring lack of research publications? I know that top-tier places love research, so I'm trying to squeeze something out of my current projects ASAP. It would really help me to get your opinions so I could decide on which away/audition rotations to shoot for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med school rank: Top 30
Step 1: 247 in 2012 when avg was 224 - crazy how things change, Will take CK prior to apps
Class rank: Top Quartile
AOA: Yes
3rd year grades: H: IM/Peds/OB HP: Rest, this was good enough for top quartile
Research: Phd from a Top 4, 14 publications - 2 solid first authors, many 2nd authors, a couple of patents
Extracurriculars, etc: Strong leadership - was president of class during 1 and 2nd year, developed and lead fundraising effort to fund open and fund a student run clinic; strong teaching background

Looking to go into Cardio

WAMC for: MGH/BWH/UCSF/JHH/Penn/Columbia/Duke/Vandy/UPMC/Cornell/NW/Chicago/Stanford/UMich/BID/Mayo/UTSW

I think you are very competitive for those elite programs. Probably will not get an interview at all, because while your Step 1 is very good for medicine, it is not outstanding, especially for the MGH's of the world. I would not be surprised if you get multiple interviews from the "Big 4" (MGH/BWH/UCSF/JHH) and many of the rest that you mentioned. If you interview decently, will probably match a top 10 program.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: 247 in 2012 when avg was 224 - crazy how things change, Will take CK prior to apps
Research: Phd from a Top 4, 14 publications - 2 solid first authors, many 2nd authors, a couple of patents
Extracurriculars, etc: Strong leadership - was president of class during 1 and 2nd year, developed and lead fundraising effort to fund open and fund a student run clinic; strong teaching background

WAMC for: MGH/BWH/UCSF/JHH/Penn/Columbia/Duke/Vandy/UPMC/Cornell/NW/Chicago/Stanford/UMich/BID/Mayo/UTSW

Congrats on a stellar application. You’ve got it all. I think you have a chance at interviewing everywhere you apply despite the solid but not spectacular step 1 given AOA, several publications, leadership and PhD. Crush step 2 and make sure you don’t piss people off on your interviews, you should be golden.

Congrats on a stellar application. You’ve got it all. I think you have a chance at interviewing everywhere you apply despite the solid but not spectacular step 1 given AOA, several publications, leadership and PhD. Crush step 2 and make sure you don’t piss people off on your interviews, you should be golden.

I think you are very competitive for those elite programs. Probably will not get an interview at all, because while your Step 1 is very good for medicine, it is not outstanding, especially for the MGH's of the world. I would not be surprised if you get multiple interviews from the "Big 4" (MGH/BWH/UCSF/JHH) and many of the rest that you mentioned. If you interview decently, will probably match a top 10 program.

Thanks y'all - I appreciate your kind words as well as the extra motivation to finish strong with my ck studying

Class rank: 1st or 2nd quartile (not released yet and school does not have AOA).
Research: 1 first author publication, 3 middle authors publications, 1 international conference oral (1st author), 5 national conference posters (4 1st authors)

What are my chances at matching at a top tier program on the west coast (UCSD, UCLA, UCSF, Stanford) given my schools lack of prestige and my less than perfect grades? Not dead set on matching at these places but was wondering if my research could possibly make up for some of my weaknesses.

You may get love from UCSD. Otherwise look at USC, Harbor, Irvine, Davis, etc.

Med school: Mid-tier MD program
Step 1: 254
Class rank: 1st quartile, AOA not available to apply to yet
Clinical grades: H in IM and Surgery, HP in Peds, rest of the rotations are yet to come
Research: 1 home institution presentation, no publications, 3 current research projects
Lots of community service volunteering and a paid position during M2/M3 year as an M1 tutor
Letters: 2 strong, hopefully will get a strong sub-I letter during summer

I really want to go back home to California, where all my family and my SO live. How competitive am I for the top-tier and mid-tier programs, especially with my glaring lack of research publications? I know that top-tier places love research, so I'm trying to squeeze something out of my current projects ASAP. It would really help me to get your opinions so I could decide on which away/audition rotations to shoot for.

Apply to all the Cali programs as your grades/scores are outstanding but that lack of research will hurt..relax though and try to squeeze something out but last minute research isn’t often that fruitful. Also if any progress comes out of these projects, you can submit an update before February. Also, top tiers I would think are looking for significant projects, not something that can be checked off. Also auditions don’t matter much unfortunately.

That said, your application is incredibly strong and given your class rank and grades, I think UCSD is a good target, possibly UCLA/Stanford, but if not definitely USC and the others are definitely in reach. Also consider applying elsewhere but with the SO and family in Cali, I’m not sure if you have that much of a choice.

Currently in middle of my third year and wanted to get a bit of guidance moving forwards. My end goal is Pulm/CC, maybe IP.

Med school: DO
Step 1: 250+
Level 1: 670+
Class rank: 2nd quartile
Clinical grades: all honors thus far, including IM, Pulm/CC, Surg
LORs: strong thus far but only have 2 atm
Research: 1 first author, 1 case report, 3 posters, 1 oral presentation

My questions:
1. For a solid DO applicant, what is the upper limit for higher tier academic IM programs? Do I have any chance at places like UNC, Duke, Tufts, UPMC, U Colorado, Northwestern, BU, UCLA, Yale? Am I solid applicant for places like UConn, UMass, Rutgers, Cooper, Lahey, CA programs like UC Davis/Irvine/SD, Kaiser Santa Clara, etc?

2. From what I understand, away rotations in IM aren't typically necessary -- but should I consider doing away rotations at some reach programs do being a DO to boost my app? What locations would be most "worth it" for away rotations?

There is a huge gap between your two groups. I highly recommend applying to the following programs as a good applicant with the DO. I know they are in the Midwest, but they are solid programs: Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, University of Iowa, Indiana University, University of Cincinnati, Ohio State, University of Illinois at Chicago, Henry Ford, University of Florida-Gainsville.

You also have shots at OHSU, UCSD from what I've seen.For whatever reason, the east coast has an anti-DO bias, especially the elite/upper tier places and even some midtiers.

Last edited:
Step 1: 218/576
Class rank: Not available
Clinical grades: H in IM, Peds, Psych, HP in OB
Research: Working on 2 posters
Letters: 1 Psych (previous students said that they got very positive comments form his letter on interview trail), hopefully 1 from IM Director
Region: SE and possibly Midwest extending into the rust belt. Want a small university or well established community program. Only wanting to do ACGME match.

Also, should I take both Step 2s? I'm getting conflicting answers on this. Our school doesn't do the standard shelf exams so I have no idea how prepared I'm getting.

Step 1: 218/576
Class rank: Not available
Clinical grades: H in IM, Peds, Psych, HP in OB
Research: Working on 2 posters
Letters: 1 Psych (previous students said that they got very positive comments form his letter on interview trail), hopefully 1 from IM Director
Region: SE and possibly Midwest extending into the rust belt. Want a small university or well established community program. Only wanting to do ACGME match.

Also, should I take both Step 2s? I'm getting conflicting answers on this. Our school doesn't do the standard shelf exams so I have no idea how prepared I'm getting.
I would say yes. Your Step 1 is pretty mediocre (and many programs won't know what to do with COMLEX...although many will). So getting a good bump on 2CK will really benefit you.

Reactions: 2 users
There is a huge gap between your two groups. I highly recommend applying to the following programs as a good applicant with the DO. I know they are in the Midwest, but they are solid programs: Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, University of Iowa, Indiana University, University of Cincinnati, Ohio State, University of Illinois at Chicago, Henry Ford, University of Florida-Gainsville.

You also have shots at OHSU, UCSD from what I've seen.For whatever reason, the east coast has an anti-DO bias, especially the elite/upper tier places and even some midtiers.

I actually do have all of those on my list! I was listing examples as a "upper limit" and "lower limit" kind of thing. I just really don't know what the "upper limit" for me is as a DO applicant. Are there other places you would recommend me applying to? I do have a preference for east coast, but I'm mostly happy with any larger metropolitan area not in the south (restrictions with SO's job).

I won't say you have no shot because it's gonna be hard, but go ahead and apply! I look very similar to you on paper low 240s step 1, mid 250s step 2, first quartile, newer/unranked school in the midwest, similar clerkship grades (instead of I honored surgery and HP IM, which is better for you), maybe slightly less research (similar pubs, less conferences). I'll tell you right now I got 0 invites from top 25 programs and 0 invites from west coast programs, even the ones I did away rotations at and got honors in, just so you know what to expect. Your H in IM and more research may significantly help you idk but I just wouldn't go in expecting a Stanford or UCSF invite.

Apply to all the Cali programs as your grades/scores are outstanding but that lack of research will hurt..relax though and try to squeeze something out but last minute research isn’t often that fruitful. Also if any progress comes out of these projects, you can submit an update before February. Also, top tiers I would think are looking for significant projects, not something that can be checked off. Also auditions don’t matter much unfortunately.

That said, your application is incredibly strong and given your class rank and grades, I think UCSD is a good target, possibly UCLA/Stanford, but if not definitely USC and the others are definitely in reach. Also consider applying elsewhere but with the SO and family in Cali, I’m not sure if you have that much of a choice.

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate you breaking it down for me. I will work harder on my current research projects, but I get that the quality won't be the best this late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks y'all - I appreciate your kind words as well as the extra motivation to finish strong with my ck studying

Congratulations and good luck on CK. Just FYI: even if you don't take CK, you will likely land interviews at 90% the programs you mentioned (-10% for the randomness of it all). Since you are interested in cards, would add Sinai/UCLA. Unless you want to go out to Rochester, would cancel Mayo interview.

You may get love from UCSD. Otherwise look at USC, Harbor, Irvine, Davis, etc.

UCSD is overly optimistic. The other programs are more realistic choices.

Congratulations and good luck on CK. Just FYI: even if you don't take CK, you will likely land interviews at 90% the programs you mentioned (-10% for the randomness of it all). Since you are interested in cards, would add Sinai/UCLA. Unless you want to go out to Rochester, would cancel Mayo interview.
Thanks, appreciate the recs for cardio programs

Currently finishing up 3rd year
Level 1: 700+
Class rank: 1st quartile
Clinical grades: Honors in all core rotations thus far; IM, FM, OB, Surg(yuck)
LORs: Couple strong letters in IM, OB
Research: 6 second/third authors papers. 2 case reports, 1 oral presentation.

WAMC
Reach: OHSU, Emory, Minnesota, Utah, Iowa, WakeForest, OSU, Mayo, CCF, Rochester, Wisconsin

Target: GW, Gtown, VCU, Cinci, Arizona-Tuscon/Phoenix, Vermont, Temple, Drexel, Rush, UIC, MUSC, Carolinas, UT-Austin Dell, Portland-Providence, Portland-Legacy Emmanuel, Penn State, Uconn, UMass,

Please dont let me fall through the cracks; Lehigh Valley, Lahey Clinic, Beaumont, Henry Ford, Virginia Mason, Carillon Clinic, St. Joseph Denver.

What next? I'm a quiet dude that isn't totally convinced I'll crush away rotations in IM/IM Specialties? Should I try my best for step2/level2 and give it a shot?

WAMC
Reach: OHSU, Emory, Minnesota, Utah, Iowa, WakeForest, OSU, Mayo, CCF, Rochester, Wisconsin

Target: GW, Gtown, VCU, Cinci, Arizona-Tuscon/Phoenix, Vermont, Temple, Drexel, Rush, UIC, MUSC, Carolinas, UT-Austin Dell, Portland-Providence, Portland-Legacy Emmanuel, Penn State, Uconn, UMass,

Please dont let me fall through the cracks; Lehigh Valley, Lahey Clinic, Beaumont, Henry Ford, Virginia Mason, Carillon Clinic, St. Joseph Denver.

What next? I'm a quiet dude that isn't totally convinced I'll crush away rotations in IM/IM Specialties? Should I try my best for step2/level2 and give it a shot?
FWIW, Virginia Mason is a better program than either the Legacy or Providence programs in Portland. Lehigh Valley is probably better too.

Hey guys, just looking for a ballpark here in terms of what your strategy would be in my shoes- currently an M3 w ties to CO and CA. Strong desire to get back West (CO, CA, Northwest) to an academic program
Med school: top 10
Step 1: 234
Step 2: will take this summer
Class rank: unsure
Grades:
preclinical - p/f all passes
clinical - Honors (psych, neuro), High pass (IM, surgery, family), Pass (OB, peds)
Research: should have 3 first author papers, 2 middle author by time of application
Extracurriculars: multiple leadership positions
Other: dual MD/MBA
Thanks!

WAMC

Your list seems reasonable. You have a good shot at one of your reaches actually. I would suggest taking Step 2 (since you are a good test taker) before interview season and plan for away rotations at 2 of your reach institutions in July and August.

Hey guys, just looking for a ballpark here in terms of what your strategy would be in my shoes- currently an M3 w ties to CO and CA. Strong desire to get back West (CO, CA, Northwest) to an academic program
Grades:
clinical - Honors (psych, neuro), High pass (IM, surgery, family), Pass (OB, peds)
Research: should have 3 first author papers, 2 middle author by time of application
Thanks!

You will be competitive for all of top tier programs on the west coast, coming from a top medical school and stellar research. Your low step 1 score is the weak point in your application, but a great step 2 can overcome that. I would try to honor your medicine sub-I and take step 2 early, which you are already planning to do. Would not recommend an away rotation.

Realistic reach: UCSF, Stanford, UCLA
Realistic: UCSD, Washington
Safety: everything else (OHSU,Utah,Colorado,UCS,etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Grades:
Thanks!

Maybe I'm way off, as I didn't attend a Top 10 school (and still don't match for another 3 weeks), but my take differs a little and is this:

1) If you want to end up in CO, CA, OR, or WA, you absolutely will! Congratulations! It's awesome how many medicine spots there are, isn't it?

2) Your Step 1 score by itself won't hurt, but your clinical grades are really what will hold you back from the most competitive programs in this region, but you should still apply as you're likely to get interviews from some subset of UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, UW -- but it's impossible to predict which.

3) If you rock Step 2 CK then you turn into a rock star instead of a run of the mill strong candidate.

Anyway keep us posted (in the appropriate threads) with your eventual Step 2 score and where you end up interviewing...I go to a Top 100 so it's hard to compare but I'd like to see how it pans out.

Your list seems reasonable. You have a good shot at one of your reaches actually. I would suggest taking Step 2 (since you are a good test taker) before interview season and plan for away rotations at 2 of your reach institutions in July and August.

Reasonable is good! I'll certainly take Step 2 as it does seem a little easier to prepare for and why not. I'll do the aways at whatever reach programs I can get into to. Are you referring to a specific reach program in particular? Goal is always to just get enough of an application through grades, LORs to get an interview..

Last edited:
Reasonable is good! I'll certainly take Step 2 as it does seem a little easier to prepare for and why not. I'll do the aways at whatever reach programs I can get into to. Are you referring to a specific reach program in particular? Goal is always to just get enough of an application through grades, LORs to get an interview..

Sorry, I am not too familiar with away rotations and likelihood of landing an interview at said institution. If would aim for some combination of Mayo,OHSU,Minn,Rochester,Wisc.Don't know if Emory takes DOs.

I had an almost identical app, with slightly less research, and I got an interview at UCSD, with no ties to west coast; I didn't apply to the other three, because I knew that I had less of a chance at those.

Med School: DO
Step 1/Level 1: 224/607
Step 2 PE: Pass on first try
Class Rank: Third Quartile
Clinical Grades: Passes in everything
Research: 3 posters, 1 publication with another that is pending

Originally from SoCal, but have ties to NYC (girlfriend).
NYC: montefiore, flushing, new york pres-flushing, maimonides, Hofstra - forest hills, st lukes, Lennox hill, metropolitan, elmhurst hospital, brooklyn hospital
Philadelphia: penn hospital
DC: Inova, georgetown, george washington, washington hospital center
Los Angeles: white memorial, Kaiser LA, scripps mercy
Portland: Legacy health, providence st vincent, virginia mason

Any other ones I should apply to? Looking to do Pulm/Crit but I might be ok doing primary care/hospitalist as well. Looking for an ACGME university hospital.

open to moving, but must be to a big city!

What are my chances?

Hi, I am an international medical graduate from India , passed my medical school in the year 2013, did my MD in radiation oncology from India passed in 2016. I have passed the usmle step 1 with score of 231, step 2 Ck 242 and step 2 cs all in first attempt. I am currently doing observerhips in Chicago, I have completed observerships in cardiology, nephrology from elmhurst memorial hospital , illinois 8 weeks, have a 4 week radiation oncology observership at RUSH university medical centre. , 4 week observership in neuro oncology from RUSH university, chicago . I have 3 letters of recommendations from RUSH university. I am interested in shifting to medical oncology for which i want to do internal medicine. I also have 12 publications and a research thesis from india. What are my chances ? I am planning to apply for 2019 match year. I am also planning to take the step 3 before the applications.

Last edited:
Hi, I am an international medical graduate from India , passed my medical school in the year 2013, did my MD in radiation oncology from India. I have passed the usmle step 1 with score of 231, step 2 Ck 242 and step 2 cs all in first attempt. I am currently doing observerhips in Chicago, I have completed observerships in cardiology, nephrology from elmhurst memorial hospital , illinois 8 weeks, have a 4 week radiation oncology observership at RUSH university medical centre. , 4 week observership in neuro oncology from RUSH university, chicago . I have 3 letters of recommendations from RUSH university. I am interested in shifting to medical oncology for which i want to do internal medicine. I also have 12 publications and a research thesis from india. What are my chances ? I am planning to apply for 2019 match year. I am also planning to take the step 3 before the applications.
The latest Charting Outcomes for IMG's in 2016 states that for Internal Medicine, non-U.S. IMG's who have a 231-240 on Step 1 there were 411 who matched and 237 who did not match. And for a Step 2 between 241-250, 456 matched and 170 did not. Non-U.S. IMG's who were able to rank >11 programs had a >90% probability of matching. But you have been out of medical school since 2013 so that might be a red flag for many programs. Some programs don't accept applications from people who have been out of medical school for that long.

Hi, I am an international medical graduate from India , passed my medical school in the year 2013, did my MD in radiation oncology from India passed in 2016. I have passed the usmle step 1 with score of 231, step 2 Ck 242 and step 2 cs all in first attempt. I am currently doing observerhips in Chicago, I have completed observerships in cardiology, nephrology from elmhurst memorial hospital , illinois 8 weeks, have a 4 week radiation oncology observership at RUSH university medical centre. , 4 week observership in neuro oncology from RUSH university, chicago . I have 3 letters of recommendations from RUSH university. I am interested in shifting to medical oncology for which i want to do internal medicine. I also have 12 publications and a research thesis from india. What are my chances ? I am planning to apply for 2019 match year. I am also planning to take the step 3 before the applications.

Hi, I have a similar profile as an FMG from Asia with YOG nearly 10. I also have some research and good scores. I was lucky to get interviews from top programs. Not sure where I'll match yet, but here's what I recommend:
1. Get a green card by yourself (not sure if you're good enough for EB1, but EB2-NIW will not work for you if you're born in India)
2. Get one letter from US researcher as research is probably one of your strong point.
3. With that background you'll match somewhere if you apply broadly. If you want to go to a good program, you need to find a good reason for programs to take you. You need to think what is you're story.

Hi, I have a similar profile as an FMG from Asia with YOG nearly 10. I also have some research and good scores. I was lucky to get interviews from top programs. Not sure where I'll match yet, but here's what I recommend:
1. Get a green card by yourself (not sure if you're good enough for EB1, but EB2-NIW will not work for you if you're born in India)
2. Get one letter from US researcher as research is probably one of your strong point.
3. With that background you'll match somewhere if you apply broadly. If you want to go to a good program, you need to find a good reason for programs to take you. You need to think what is you're story.
thank you really appreciate the suggestions

I also wanted to know , how do my scores look and with already an MD from my native country , will it just help in the applications, I have honors in my medical school, have gold medals and my thesis also won an award in my country. I also have been involved in a number of extracurricular activities since medical school. I haven't had a break in my medical career since medical school. Will all this help in enhancing my cv. I am hopefully planning to apply in about 150 programs everywhere and give the step 3 this august.

I also wanted to know , how do my scores look and with already an MD from my native country , will it just help in the applications, I have honors in my medical school, have gold medals and my thesis also won an award in my country. I also have been involved in a number of extracurricular activities since medical school. I haven't had a break in my medical career since medical school. Will all this help in enhancing my cv. I am hopefully planning to apply in about 150 programs everywhere and give the step 3 this august.
Your scores are average and your chances of matching are... well, I guess average. The other stuff (except for your publications) is just fluff imho. It may give you something to talk about on interviews but probably won't help much otherwise. You haven't had a break from your medical career since the start of med school? Good, that's expected. You graduated in 2013? Tough luck, that's 6 years from next year's match and will get you screened out at many programs.

As mentioned, your Step scores are average. The rest of your app doesn't really "enhance" your CV as much as it doesn't detract from it. You'll probably match if you play the game right.

So...

M3

MD/PhD: 2 (soon-to-be 3)-first authorships, 4 co-authorships
School: Mid-Tier Midwest
STEP1: 202
STEP2: Not taken yet
Clinical Grades: HPs mostly

Target: Mid-tier Academic in Midwest or higher (obviously), will settle for Low-tier Academic.

So...

M3

MD/PhD: 2 (soon-to-be 3)-first authorships, 4 co-authorships
School: Mid-Tier Midwest
STEP1: 202
STEP2: Not taken yet
Clinical Grades: HPs mostly

Target: Mid-tier Academic in Midwest or higher (obviously), will settle for Low-tier Academic.

Your PhD will prob help you break into the upper mid tier category. Your Step 1 will definitely unfortunately screen you out of a number of the top tiers. That being said you should definitely apply to them as all it will cost you is money. I would also make sure to do much better on your step 2, as that can make up for a weaker step 1 score.

Med School: Top 15
Step 1: mid 240s
Pre-clinical: P/F
Current Rank: top quartile
Research: 2 abstracts/national meetings as an undergrad (not sure if these matter). 2 abstracts w/ 2 1st author papers in med school.
ECs: lots of involvement in curriculum/professionalism committees (I'm pretty sure I want to pursue a clinician educator track), part time job during pre-clinical years, club sport assistant coach, minimal community volunteering but I stayed involved in the things I had done as an undergrad

The reason for this post is I just got my step score back and was pretty disappointed. I recognize my score is 75ish percentile and that is not a score to scoff at, but I under-performed compared to my NBMEs which is a bummer. I had been researching where I might want to do a sub I with my free time after step and I fell in love with UCSF and their clinician educator fellowship. Now, it seems like that is kinda outta reach and might be a waste of a sub I. What might be some good programs to look into? I think I need to lower my sights a bit.

@Mir2zapine

You don't need to apply to FM with these stats... In all honesty, FM and IM are kind of the same in term of competitiveness except for the top IM programs.

What are examples of upper mid tier residencies I should be aiming for? Like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin tier? What are their equivalents outside the midwest?

Utah/Minn/Wisconsin/Iowa/Colorado/Mayo jump to mind. Personally, don't know much about the mid-tier Chicago programs. If you're willing to venture to Ohio, then Case/CCF/OSU can be added to the list.

Equivalents on the coasts include BU/Tufts/Monte/Jefferson/UMD/Georgetown/UVA/UNC/USC/Oregon/etc.

Good luck.

Research: 2 abstracts/national meetings as an undergrad (not sure if these matter). 2 abstracts w/ 2 1st author papers in med school.
ECs: lots of involvement in curriculum/professionalism committees (I'm pretty sure I want to pursue a clinician educator track), part time job during pre-clinical years, club sport assistant coach, minimal community volunteering but I stayed involved in the things I had done as an undergrad

The reason for this post is I just got my step score back and was pretty disappointed. I recognize my score is 75ish percentile and that is not a score to scoff at, but I under-performed compared to my NBMEs which is a bummer. I had been researching where I might want to do a sub I with my free time after step and I fell in love with UCSF and their clinician educator fellowship. Now, it seems like that is kinda outta reach and might be a waste of a sub I. What might be some good programs to look into? I think I need to lower my sights a bit.

Do not do an away coming from a top medical school. You have a long shot at UCSF, but there are a lot of great programs who will train you to be a great doctor.

Also, clinician-educator is a generic term referring to most doctors at academic medical center who works with and teaches trainees, with traditional 80/20 (80% clinical) split and can be tailored depending on your interests and what you value you bring to the institution. Do you mean clinician educator as in interested in med ed research? Do you mean clinician educator just in terms of attending on housestaff teams and teaching medical students? There is a lot of tailoring as you progress in your career. Hope you find what is best for you!

First off, congratulations to the class of 2018!

Med School: DO, Midwest
Step 1/Level 1: 239/677
Step 2 CK/Level: Not taken yet, assume slightly above step 1/level 1
Clinical: Honors in IM, OB/GYN; HP in Surgery, Peds, Psych
Honor societies: SSP (Osteopathic version of AOA), GHHS
Research: 2 first author (1 from undergrad), 1 second author, 1 poster, 4 oral presentations
ECs: Extensive leadership in underserved medicine (soup kitchen, HIV/AIDS clinic, shelter)
LORs: 3 really good ones (psych, medicine, medicine), no chair letter
Origin: Midwest/West
Interests: Primary Care IM, possibly specialize in pulm/CC, ID, Endo. Really want a university program in a city.

WAMC at: U of Nebraska, Creighton, U of Iowa, U of Minnesota, U of Colorado, U of Kansas, U of Missouri, U of Wisconsin, Med College of Wisc, Ohio State, U of Indiana, Cleveland Clinic, Loyola, UI-Chicago, Rush, SLU, Georgetown, George Washington, Drexel, Temple?

Community programs: Illinois Masonic, Advocate Christ, Lutheran General, U of Chicago-Northshore, Hennepin County, Abbott Northwestern, Regions St. Paul, Saint Joseph-Denver, SkyRidge-Denver, Albert Einstein-Philly, Cooper, DMC Receiving, Henry Ford, St. Barnabas

I don't want to overapply but also am concerned about matching in general. I've watched a few friends SOAP, and it has...scarred me. Have even thought about applying to some FM programs just in case. DOs and others in the know, give me your thoughts! Much appreciated in advance.

You will match at one of your programs in your WAMC list.

Wow my application looks terrible in comparison.

Med School: ranked 15-20 depending on year
Step 1: 220, many years ago
Step 2 CK: not taken yet (but horrible at tests so likely won't increase much)
Clerkship grades: passes in IM, OB, Psych, Neuro - good clinical evals but damn those shelfs (school has strict cutoffs for HP and H). Came back off-cycle so haven't done Surg, Ped, or Family and won't be able to do a sub-I in time for apps.
Research: PhD - two 1st author pubs, one middle-author
Long-term Goal: physician-scientist (basic science)

I don't know what to do. Obviously my ****ty grades kill any chance of me getting into most academic programs or PSTPs. Which programs (or type of programs) should I be looking at if I want any hope of continuing down this career path? Would generally prefer mid-to-large cities due to spouse but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited:
Wow my application looks terrible in comparison.

Med School: ranked 15-20 depending on year
Step 1: 220, many years ago
Step 2 CK: not taken yet (but horrible at tests so likely won't increase much)
Clerkship grades: passes in IM, OB, Psych, Neuro - good clinical evals but damn those shelfs (school has strict cutoffs for HP and H). Came back off-cycle so haven't done Surg, Ped, or Family and won't be able to do a sub-I in time for apps.
Research: PhD - two 1st author pubs, one middle-author
Long-term Goal: physician-scientist (basic science)

You go to an awesome med school, you have a PhD and some publications... there are lots of university programs that will have you and you have the right background to do PSTP. It'll be hard to end up at MGH or UCSF or something, but if your goal is to do a medicine residency at a university program where you can take a few months to do research, you should have no problem if you apply broadly enough. I don't know enough about PSTP, ABIM, or short-track, but any university program (even categorical) that will give you some research time (which you use productively) should allow you to springboard to a fellowship in your subspecialty of interest with more protected research time.

You can apply to research programs in conventionally less desirable locations, and with your PhD and research accomplishments, should be able to match really well. Given you are envisioning a research career, your list is going to depend on your specific research interest. My thinking is programs that value scholarly activity and are in generally less desirable locations should be the key. Reach programs could include Mayo-MN, UMichigan, UAB, Ohio State, any of a myriad of other university programs in the midwest? Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, a bunch of places in Ohio, Nebraska? Wisconsin cuz it's awesome? UChicago because if you have a strong overlap with PI interests that seems to count for a lot when it comes to PSTP... I dunno.

Anyway the point is that your app isn't as "terrible" as you think it is. I'm sure if you do your research on where to apply you can make it happen. Yes, this is SDN...but it's also internal medicine and there are tons of spots if you are passionate and motivated and go to such a top school, regardless of your Step 1 score.

For specific program guidance you should consult someone with similar long-term goals who matched this year. Also ask your PhD PI (if you plan to continue similar research) what other institutions he/she has connections to or where similar work is happening.

The bottom line is you want to apply to as many university medicine programs as you can afford.

Last edited:

Sure, you may not have the highest step score out there but if you do well clinically (and especially if you can swing AOA) it will be a non-issue at most places; it certainly helps that you go to a top med school. I would not panic at all. BTW, general consensus is that for internal medicine, away rotations don't necessarily increase your chance of matching into the residency program

Med school: Top 15
Step 1: 249
Step 2: Taking it in June
Class rank: Probably average
AOA: No lol
Grades: Honors in medicine, ambulatory medicine, anesthesia, HP in family, peds, ob/gyn, surgery.
Research: 2 second author, 2 nth author, couple of posters/abstracts
LOR: Hopefully decent but I am not one of those “best medical student ever” type people. In general I am identified as “hard working” and “motivated.”
EC: couple of leadership positions in clubs, some interesting activities, a little bit of volunteering

What are my chances at someplace like Emory, Mt Sinai, Baylor, UCSD, UCLA, Vanderbilt? I am looking for a large urban tertiary care center, preferably somewhere warm & sunny. I’d be lying if I said reputation/prestige didn’t matter to me but I’ll take what I can get. I imagine myself in an academic position, not sure if I want to specialize yet. I do enjoy research and would like to incorporate that into my career. I'm taking a month off to Step 2 and will hopefully match my score or do better.

You should be in good shape for those, having done pretty well at a top 15 school

My stats:
  • Median Step 1 for IM

• Upper-mid tier US MD school

• Mostly High Pass 3rd year

• EC: Some article co-authorships, some poster presentations, and some medical organization work; I think pretty solid overall and interesting stuff to talk about

• No red flags/failures

Goal: To get academic IM program with best chances for possible competitive fellowships afterwards. Where would reaches and targets be for me?

My stats:
  • Median Step 1 for IM

• Upper-mid tier US MD school

• Mostly High Pass 3rd year

• EC: Some article co-authorships, some poster presentations, and some medical organization work; I think pretty solid overall and interesting stuff to talk about

• No red flags/failures

Goal: To get academic IM program with best chances for possible competitive fellowships afterwards. Where would reaches and targets be for me?

This is an application that would make you competitive for many mid-tier programs. Not sure of your geographic preference but programs that come to mind include Brown, CCF, Indiana, Jackson Memorial, Einstein/Monte, Jefferson, Temple, UIC, Rush, UMD, Tufts, Wisconsin, Iowa, Utah, USF, USC, GWU, Wake Forest. Reaches would include places like BU, UVA, UAB, Colorado, Baylor, Emory, CWRU, Mayo, and every 'Top 20' program. You still have time to improve your application though, by doing well on step 2 and honoring your early 4th yr medicine rotation(s).

Hello,
I wanted to ask for some advice for the interview trail and subi's. I currently go to a decent DO school, and I'm about the middle part of the class, probably around 60-70 (3.6 GPA, did get a C in 2nd year) in a class of 200. I have done pretty well on clinicals so far, with two B's (an 89 in FM, and an 85 in OB). I have honored everything else. I have strong letters so far as well. I got a 694 on COMLEX Level I and a 239 on Step I. I'm taking both Level II and Step II in June. I plan on at least a 700 and 255 for Level II (studying pretty darn hard for them). I passed the CS first attempt. Where do you think I should apply? My top schools are OSU, Georgetown, and Tulane. Are these reaches or realistic? Also, I'm trying to apply to as many SubI's as I can. Is this advisable? Anyways, I'm asking this because my school doesn't have a guidance concealer to help us with any of this. Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Best,
Nickle

Dear SDN family members, hope you are all in good health. I want your advice (yes this is for anyone with any helpful knowledge who reads this). I am a non US IMG who intends to apply for internal med match 2019 in US. I would highly appreciate the advice of SDN family on my chances for IM and for any tips/advice to help me improve my CV. Thanks a lot in advance. My CV is as follows:
Year of graduation: 2016
USMLE step 1: 236
USMLE step 2 CK: 236
step 2 CS: pass
Visa status: need visa
No additional attempts on any of the steps.
Research: 4 publications (3 case reports out of those and one cross sectional study). 1 poster.
USCE: three months hands on (two months at a university hospital and one month at an affiliated medical centre of a university hospital
Home country clinical experience: doing a very hectic internship (upto 80 hours per week) which I will be half way through (six months done) by September when I submit match application.
[originally posted as separate thread but pasted here on advice of a senior SDN member].

Make sure you are ECFMG certified and get Step 3 out of the way. You need stellar letters from your US rotations.

Hello,
I wanted to ask for some advice for the interview trail and subi's. I currently go to a decent DO school, and I'm about the middle part of the class, probably around 60-70 (3.6 GPA, did get a C in 2nd year) in a class of 200. I have done pretty well on clinicals so far, with two B's (an 89 in FM, and an 85 in OB). I have honored everything else. I have strong letters so far as well. I got a 694 on COMLEX Level I and a 239 on Step I. I'm taking both Level II and Step II in June. I plan on at least a 700 and 255 for Level II (studying pretty darn hard for them). I passed the CS first attempt. Where do you think I should apply? My top schools are OSU, Georgetown, and Tulane. Are these reaches or realistic? Also, I'm trying to apply to as many SubI's as I can. Is this advisable? Anyways, I'm asking this because my school doesn't have a guidance concealer to help us with any of this. Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Best,
Nickle

The 3 you mentioned are super reaches and I doubt you'll get interviews at Georgetown or OSU (don't know much about Tulane). If you are good clinically and polished with your presentations, then away subI's can be helpful. Otherwise, I would speak to past graduates from your school and see what more realistic options are.

The 3 you mentioned are super reaches and I doubt you'll get interviews at Georgetown or OSU (don't know much about Tulane). If you are good clinically and polished with your presentations, then away subI's can be helpful. Otherwise, I would speak to past graduates from your school and see what more realistic options are.
Really? Huh. Everyone I've spoken to has said they are well within reach. Both have multiple DO's in their classes, and I know two DO's from my school that were accepted last year and my scores are better than their's. Any reason why this is? Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Hey all, I will be applying for the 2019 IM match. I am an IMG graduated 2016.
I have a disappointing step 1 score of 219 and a step 2ck score of 242 all are passed on the first attempt.
I have 2 coauthorships and one online book chapter, I am working on publishing a paper as a first author now.
I have 2 month USCE with LoR
My question is what can I do to overcome my step 1 score, as many programs have a filter of 220?

Looking for some feedback on my competitiveness for top-level programs. I'm guessing second-tier is more my sweet spot, but how many high-end programs should I be applying to realistically? Planning on cards or pulm/crit fellowship most likely.

- Mid-upper tier medical school (Big Ten)
- Top quartile in pre-clinical years
- Step 1: 240s
- Step 2 CK scheduled to have score prior to ERAS submission
- Clerkship grades: Honors in IM/OB/Neuro and High Pass in the rest
- Research: 3-4 co-authored publications, 2-3 presentations
- Good letters/ECs/leadership
- No red flags/failures

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Looking for some feedback on my competitiveness for top-level programs. I'm guessing second-tier is more my sweet spot, but how many high-end programs should I be applying to realistically? Planning on cards or pulm/crit fellowship most likely.

- Mid-upper tier medical school (Big Ten)
- Top quartile in pre-clinical years
- Step 1: 240s
- Step 2 CK scheduled to have score prior to ERAS submission
- Clerkship grades: Honors in IM/OB/Neuro and High Pass in the rest
- Research: 3-4 co-authored publications, 2-3 presentations
- Good letters/ECs/leadership
- No red flags/failures

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
I'd say if you can get AOA and a strong step 2CK score should get you more than a few offers from top 20ish programs. doesn't hurt to apply to a few of the ultra elite (think hopkins, mass gen, ucsf) schools if you are interested in them! there are a ton of great programs in medicine though in that top tier that you could aim for. The very elite schools look for something that stands out- either you are one of the best candidates from your school or have some other thing (usually research or other involvement) that makes you a great candidate. The key is to first find a good advisor from your school and go through a list- pick a few relative safeties, then maybe 5 reach schools, then the rest with ones that are in your target range. 20-25 schools should be more than enough. No need to go crazy and apply to 40 with your application, it's just unnecessary and you won't go on half the interviews anyways.

First off, congratulations to the class of 2018!

Med School: DO, Midwest
Step 1/Level 1: 239/677
Step 2 CK/Level: Not taken yet, assume slightly above step 1/level 1
Clinical: Honors in IM, OB/GYN; HP in Surgery, Peds, Psych
Honor societies: SSP (Osteopathic version of AOA), GHHS
Research: 2 first author (1 from undergrad), 1 second author, 1 poster, 4 oral presentations
ECs: Extensive leadership in underserved medicine (soup kitchen, HIV/AIDS clinic, shelter)
LORs: 3 really good ones (psych, medicine, medicine), no chair letter
Origin: Midwest/West
Interests: Primary Care IM, possibly specialize in pulm/CC, ID, Endo. Really want a university program in a city.

WAMC at: U of Nebraska, Creighton, U of Iowa, U of Minnesota, U of Colorado, U of Kansas, U of Missouri, U of Wisconsin, Med College of Wisc, Ohio State, U of Indiana, Cleveland Clinic, Loyola, UI-Chicago, Rush, SLU, Georgetown, George Washington, Drexel, Temple?

Community programs: Illinois Masonic, Advocate Christ, Lutheran General, U of Chicago-Northshore, Hennepin County, Abbott Northwestern, Regions St. Paul, Saint Joseph-Denver, SkyRidge-Denver, Albert Einstein-Philly, Cooper, DMC Receiving, Henry Ford, St. Barnabas

I don't want to overapply but also am concerned about matching in general. I've watched a few friends SOAP, and it has...scarred me. Have even thought about applying to some FM programs just in case. DOs and others in the know, give me your thoughts! Much appreciated in advance.

Good! UIowa/Loyola/Temple are good targets!