This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, because while I'll rank my top choices at the top regardless, I'd like to steel myself to the possibility of not matching if the consensus is that that's what's most likely. I don't have a good sense of what's reasonable doubt vs. med student neuroticism, and I don't want to worry unnecessarily or delude myself and get caught off guard. Does that make sense?

Anyway, thank you for your response.
The easiest way to proceed (from a mental health standpoint at least) is to arrange your rank list such that, if you match at your last ranked program, you'll still be happy. That way, if/when you match higher (maybe even top 4), you can be pleasantly surprised.

We can all point you back in the direction of the charting outcomes data but I suspect that won't make you feel better anyway so I won't bother.

With a couple of exceptions (the place that invites all rotating students to interview as a courtesy, the place where your uncle is friends with the PD and got you an interview that way), any program that offers you an invitation is interested in having you there. There may be other people they prefer more, but that's life. Proceed with that knowledge as your guiding principle.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. Thanks for any and all help.

• Mid-tier school
  • Step 1: 247
  • Step 2CK: Not taken yet
  • Step 2CS: Not taken yet
  • H in IM, Primary care, Psych, Peds/ HP surgery, neuro, OBGYN
  • 2nd quartile
  • Research: 2 publications, one abstract poster
  • ECs: Free clinic, other such things

List so far:
NW, Rush, UIC, Loyola, UChicago, NYU, Mount Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, Montefiore, Indiana, UCLA, UCSD, USC, Maine MC, BU, Tufts, GWU, Georgetown, Oregon, UWashington

My ideal locations for family reasons are Chicago and NYC, so any particular insight into those areas would be great. I have connections to both areas.

Hi everyone. Thanks for any and all help.

• Mid-tier school
  • Step 1: 247
  • Step 2CK: Not taken yet
  • Step 2CS: Not taken yet
  • H in IM, Primary care, Psych, Peds/ HP surgery, neuro, OBGYN
  • 2nd quartile
  • Research: 2 publications, one abstract poster

List so far:
NW, Rush, UIC, Loyola, UChicago, NYU, Mount Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, Montefiore, Indiana, UCLA, UCSD, USC, Maine MC, BU, Tufts, GWU, Georgetown, Oregon, UWashington

My ideal locations for family reasons are Chicago and NYC, so any particular insight into those areas would be great. I have connections to both areas.

Your list is reasonable, although at your desired location, Chicago seems much more realistic than NYC mainly because of the number of mid-tier programs in those cities. I think you'll get a few IVs to the higher end programs (i.e. NW, UC, NYU, Sinai, Columbia, Cornell) but lack of AOA and good but not stellar scores will not make you stand out and I don't think you'll match at those 6. Therefore, your best bet may be Monte, which is a cut above the other Chicago programs.

Also, Maine MC? A bit out of place among our list.

Hi y'all

MS3 here, wanted to have a rough understanding of where I stand, namely in the "tiers" of programs I would be a fair applicant for, as I dont have great insight into what is available for me.

Top 15 med school, probably bottom 50% of class
STEP1: 241 STEP2: 251
Clinical Rotation grades: All Passes (including IM), High Pass in surgery
Electives: Honors in Anesthesia, Radiology, awaiting EM SubI and Genmed SubI
Good EC's, few posters and oral presentations, 1 pub in JAMA.

As mentioned before, I would mainly like to know where I stand in terms of which programs would be considered a reach for me and what would be fair game. My clinical rotation grades were pretty poor and I am afraid that's holding me back. Thank you very much.

Indeed, I agree that your clinical grades will hold you back from the top 15 IM residencies. However, all upper mid tier programs are highly realistic and you'll get IVs to some top programs because of your medical school pedigree and publications. I would leverage potential mentors and ask them to advocate for you; that will be your best bet at landing top interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I'm a little over half way through MS3 year and trying to figure out what types of programs I'll be competitive for next year.
  • Top 15 school, somewhere in 2nd quartile class rank wise
  • Step 1: 250
  • Clinical grades: HP Peds, Surgery, OBGYN ; H in medicine (feel like I have reasonable chance of H in fam med and psych/neuro?)
  • One 1st author pub in lower impact journal, one 1st author poster, one 2nd author case report in progress, aiming for additional 1st author pub by application time
  • Great ECs (health policy/advocacy)/leadership stuff/interesting work history before school
Hoping to end up somewhere on the east coast (somewhere between Boston and DC), ideally Philly or Baltimore. Any chances at the top tier programs there, or are the mid-upper mid tier programs a better target for me? Any recommendations of programs to consider?
Thanks!

Hi all,
I'm a little over half way through MS3 year and trying to figure out what types of programs I'll be competitive for next year.
  • Top 15 school, somewhere in 2nd quartile class rank wise
  • Step 1: 250
  • Clinical grades: HP Peds, Surgery, OBGYN ; H in medicine (feel like I have reasonable chance of H in fam med and psych/neuro?)
  • One 1st author pub in lower impact journal, one 1st author poster, one 2nd author case report in progress, aiming for additional 1st author pub by application time
  • Great ECs (health policy/advocacy)/leadership stuff/interesting work history before school
Hoping to end up somewhere on the east coast (somewhere between Boston and DC), ideally Philly or Baltimore. Any chances at the top tier programs there, or are the mid-upper mid tier programs a better target for me? Any recommendations of programs to consider?
Thanks!
There's always a chance. You won't know until you apply.

MS3 looking ahead to next year. Am really unsure of where I stand, although I’m not at all concerned.

State school in the NE (not at all a research powerhouse)
Step 1: 253
Quartile: 1st (as of last rotation)
Clinical grades: all H except one HP. IM is my next and last rotation.
AOA: elections are in the spring

Really great ICs/leadership/work experience
Research kinda weak: poster presentation, waiting on a pub (if I do get it, it’ll be like 5th author or something), a book chapter, working on a few projects now. Nothing ground breaking.

Anyways, my ideal location would be in a NE city (Boston, philly, NYC). Which types of programs am I competitive for so far? Is it worth considering programs like Cornell, MGH, etc?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

MS3 looking ahead to next year. Am really unsure of where I stand, although I’m not at all concerned.

Research kinda weak: poster presentation, waiting on a pub (if I do get it, it’ll be like 5th author or something), a book chapter, working on a few projects now. Nothing ground breaking.

Anyways, my ideal location would be in a NE city (Boston, philly, NYC). Which types of programs am I competitive for so far? Is it worth considering programs like Cornell, MGH, etc?

In the Northeast, you'll be competitive for programs like BU, Tufts, Monte, Hofstra, Stoybrook, Rutgers, Jefferson, UMD, Georgetown, GWU, etc. I don't think you have a shot at MGH/BWH/BID, the big 4 in NYC, and Penn/Hopkins but doesn't hurt to apply. It's only money after all.

In the Northeast, you'll be competitive for programs like BU, Tufts, Monte, Hofstra, Stoybrook, Rutgers, Jefferson, UMD, Georgetown, GWU, etc. I don't think you have a shot at MGH/BWH/BID, the big 4 in NYC, and Penn/Hopkins but doesn't hurt to apply. It's only money after all.
Just out of curiosity, why not the big 4 in NYC? Is it the lack of research or the Step 1 score? What can he/she do to increase the chances for the big 4 in NYC? (Asking because I have similar stats)

Way too early to write this guy/gal off for the top programs. Definitely not enough info yet. If you get H in IM and AOA/top quartile you have a decent shot at getting interviews at some of those places. Agree that without either of those things you're already pretty set for the programs mentioned. Obviously being at a state school is going to mean your app has to be stellar to match at one of the top programs.

Edit: oh also take step 2 CK early and crush it

Wait why are you ruling out top programs?

Way too early to write this guy/gal off for the top programs. Definitely not enough info yet. If you get H in IM and AOA/top quartile you have a decent shot at getting interviews at some of those places. Agree that without either of those things you're already pretty set for the programs mentioned. Obviously being at a state school is going to mean your app has to be stellar to match at one of the top programs.

Edit: oh also take step 2 CK early and crush it

How much would you factor in research quality in addition to strong Step + clinical grades + AOA? By research quality, something like publications and national presentations.

Just out of curiosity, why not the big 4 in NYC? Is it the lack of research or the Step 1 score? What can he/she do to increase the chances for the big 4 in NYC? (Asking because I have similar stats)

My gut tells me at the current moment, op won't be as competitive for the top programs. I do agree with above post that if he/she makes AOA, honors IM clerkship/subI, publishes that paper, and has a well put-together application, then the top programs do become more attainable. Taking step 2 early can help, but his step 1 score is good enough that even a 260+ step 2 score will not move the needle much.

Wait why are you ruling out top programs?

How much would you factor in research quality in addition to strong Step + clinical grades + AOA? By research quality, something like publications and national presentations.

Published or presented research (as abstract or oral presentation at local or national meetings) certainly help, because it shows that you are able to take a project to completion and have something tangible to show for it. However, it is not the end-all-be-all. What is equally, if not more, important (from interviewing residency applicants) is 1) whether you are passionate about what your research is and what you have accomplished and 2) what you have learned from the process and how that can translate into skills going forward.

Quality research is but one aspect of your application. You don't need any published research to match at a top program, if other aspects of your application stand out. If that is the case, you should tailor your application to emphasize those other ECs or leadership activities. At the end of the day, a strong application ties together everything the applicant has accomplished and gives the reader a sense of what kind of person you are.

My gut tells me at the current moment, op won't be as competitive for the top programs. I do agree with above post that if he/she makes AOA, honors IM clerkship/subI, publishes that paper, and has a well put-together application, then the top programs do become more attainable. Taking step 2 early can help, but his step 1 score is good enough that even a 260+ step 2 score will not move the needle much.

Published or presented research (as abstract or oral presentation at local or national meetings) certainly help, because it shows that you are able to take a project to completion and have something tangible to show for it. However, it is not the end-all-be-all. What is equally, if not more, important (from interviewing residency applicants) is 1) whether you are passionate about what your research is and what you have accomplished and 2) what you have learned from the process and how that can translate into skills going forward.

Quality research is but one aspect of your application. You don't need any published research to match at a top program, if other aspects of your application stand out. If that is the case, you should tailor your application to emphasize those other ECs or leadership activities. At the end of the day, a strong application ties together everything the applicant has accomplished and gives the reader a sense of what kind of person you are.

So just to clarify, the ideal applicant for top programs has:

250+ Step 1/Step 2 + as many honors in clinical years (H in IM and sub-I essential) + AOA + productive research (publications + presentations) + strong narrative and letters that makes PDs want to have them?

I’m aware that the process can be a crapshoot and what works for one program may not work for another, but just wanted to have a rough understanding.

250+ Step 1/Step 2 + as many honors in clinical years (H in IM and sub-I essential) + AOA + productive research (publications + presentations) + strong narrative and letters that makes PDs want to have them?

I’m aware that the process can be a crapshoot and what works for one program may not work for another, but just wanted to have a rough understanding.

There is no need to be salty. What you described above may be necessary for applicants coming from a smaller/state schools (like myself), whereas an applicant from a top-15 medical school needs a fraction of that.

This forum is for different people to voice their opinions and their experiences. To op, take it all with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no need to be salty. What you described above may be necessary for applicants coming from a smaller/state schools (like myself), whereas an applicant from a top-15 medical school needs a fraction of that.

This forum is for different people to voice their opinions and their experiences. To op, take it all with a grain of salt.

:confused: i wasn’t being salty. i was confused on what were the guidelines. I’m not familiar with what different programs want hence the clarification. Thanks for your answers.

• Mid-tier school
  • Step 1: 207
  • Step 2CK: 241
  • Step 2CS: Waiting for score
  • H in Surg, FM, P in Ob/Gyn, HP everything else
  • Good LORs and evaluations from rotations, average shelf exams have mostly held me back from honoring
  • Probably bottom quartile
  • Research: 1 publication, 1 poster presentation
  • Taking year off between 3rd and 4th year to do a masters in public health. Currently writing a thesis on mental health access for medical students that will hopefully be submitted by the end of this year
Obviously the red flag is the Step 1 score-not really sure what happened, practice scores were 220s, but that's neither here nor there. I'm interested in a primary care track. Any shot at an academic center or at least a highly esteemed community program? Have been debating between FM and IM for primary care, would rather IM as there are more options for potential fellowships, but not sure if I'll be able to go to a program that will allow that to happen.

• Mid-tier school
  • Step 1: 207
  • Step 2CK: 241
  • Step 2CS: Waiting for score
  • H in Surg, FM, P in Ob/Gyn, HP everything else
  • Good LORs and evaluations from rotations, average shelf exams have mostly held me back from honoring
  • Probably bottom quartile
  • Research: 1 publication, 1 poster presentation
  • Taking year off between 3rd and 4th year to do a masters in public health. Currently writing a thesis on mental health access for medical students that will hopefully be submitted by the end of this year
Obviously the red flag is the Step 1 score-not really sure what happened, practice scores were 220s, but that's neither here nor there. I'm interested in a primary care track. Any shot at an academic center or at least a highly esteemed community program? Have been debating between FM and IM for primary care, would rather IM as there are more options for potential fellowships, but not sure if I'll be able to go to a program that will allow that to happen.

I had a very similar app in terms of the step scores and wondered the same question before. Great job on the CK! You really needed that. I did go to a "top 20" med school but you had better grades in your clerkships than I did. I also applied 3 years ago (2014-2015 cycle).

With those caveats, IM is certainly possible, you don't need to go to FM. I don't really know how PC tracks select their candidates but it seems like there are some that are really competitive but others that are easier than the traditional categorical track in the same program.

What is your geographical preference? I applied all over got a big mix of low/mid-tier academics and tons of community interviews. I ended up at a mid-tier academic program. I would do some research on what are good IM PC track programs. Just letting you know that your app will be filtered out at many programs based on your Step 1 score, so if you really want some program make sure you email them a few weeks after you submit your app if you haven't gotten an invite so they may manually rescue your app from the filter. In addition, how's staying at your home institution looking like? It might be a good bet if your home institution has what you want and you can stay for residency, since it's not going to get better than a "mid-tier academic" for you anyway. Lastly do your medicine sub-i early so you have that Honors for the app and ideally get the sub-i attending to write a glowing letter for you.

You can do it, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Some programs really value it, others don't. Usually it won't hold you back much if you meet all the other criteria.

If you're at a top med school then this is definitely not the criteria. You'll find plenty of folks who don't meet those criteria. But if you're from a lower tier school then this definitely applies. The Step 1 score just gets you in the door. Not sure what the actual value is but certainly over 240. Then you probably need (H in IM clerkship) AND (top quartile OR AOA).

Question on research, how much does it matter first versus second author? I will be a second author on several papers but because of the way research is set up in my lab, they essentially do not let medical students be first author. I would like to go into academics and am geographically restricted so I am trying to be as competitive as possible.

Question on research, how much does it matter first versus second author? I will be a second author on several papers but because of the way research is set up in my lab, they essentially do not let medical students be first author. I would like to go into academics and am geographically restricted so I am trying to be as competitive as possible.
I think first author is an important distinction because it implies that you wrote the paper. Second author typically signifies someone that contributed heavily to the project.

If you did all of the leg work and wrote the manuscript and they are still putting you as second author I think that’s wrong. Regardless, being second author on several papers is better than nothing. I would encourage your PI to clearly delineat what your role was in these projects on your rec letter.

I think first author is an important distinction because it implies that you wrote the paper. Second author typically signifies someone that contributed heavily to the project.

If you did all of the leg work and wrote the manuscript and they are still putting you as second author I think that’s wrong. Regardless, being second author on several papers is better than nothing. I would encourage your PI to clearly delineat what your role was in these projects on your rec letter.
They hire students to take a year off to do research and I essentially do all of the legwork and write some of the manuscript but not the whole thing. This is in another specialty I was interested in during my first couple years but not any longer and I have the chance to get involved with another research group (in what I am interested in) as well, would you recommend this? Im starting third year soon so I am not sure how much time I will have.

I received my CK score today and it was 20 points lower than my USWA1 and 2. At this moment, I am shocked, disappointed, and absolutely terrified about my future, because I don't know if I will match or not. I am applying for the 2020 cycle. I am very much interested in an Internal Medicine residency (preferably in the South East). Based on my practice tests, i thought i might have a shot at some low tier university programs, but I guess thats all gone now.

Stats:
School: US-IMG (Top 4, i dont know if that matters or not)
Step 1: 223
Step 2CK: 231
Class Rank: Not sure
Publications: 1 published (first author), 4 pending.

Is it time for me to start thinking about FM?

Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks

They hire students to take a year off to do research and I essentially do all of the legwork and write some of the manuscript but not the whole thing. This is in another specialty I was interested in during my first couple years but not any longer and I have the chance to get involved with another research group (in what I am interested in) as well, would you recommend this? Im starting third year soon so I am not sure how much time I will have.

I think most of the time it's difficult for med students (or even sometime residents) to be first author simply because it's hard to see the project from the very beginning to the end. I am personally a bit more on the side of you only get to be first author if you were there essentially from the beginning (conception of the project) to the very end (manuscript publication). Obviously, if no one on the paper was really there from the beginning to the end, then it can be anyone's paper. Occasionally med students will get handed an almost-complete project and then if they write the manuscript they get to be first author, but that's few and far in-between. You can see if you can be a joint co-first author but be listed second (some journals give you this designation, but not all). Either way, I don't think it's a big deal for residency as long as you can speak about the project fluently at your interviews. It's not like you're applying to a sub-specialty that is heavily dependent on research or trying to get a faculty position at this time. If the journal is a good journal, it matters even less that you are technically a second author at this stage of applications.

It's really hard to do research during MS3. I've worked with many med students who simply disappear after MS3 year starts, and for good reason. If you want to commit to research, make sure you actually have the time to do it. It's really annoying to the team if they found a med student to help out but they come for one or two lab meetings and then disappear. If you want first-author stuff though, you can always look into submitting some abstracts to conferences and being first author on that. My experience is that research groups and labs are much more flexible with students being first author if it's just a meeting abstract (and you can get time off to travel too!).

Med school rank: DO, Mid-Atlantic
USMLE Step 1: 239, 573
USMLE Step 2: Not Taken Yet
USMLE CS: Not Taken Yet
Class rank: 1st quartile
AOA: no
Honors: H Family; H OBGYN, H Psych, H IM
Research: 2 Pubs (College); 1 Poster
LOR: solid

Looking for an academic IM program. I just started researching programs and so far I've come up with:
VCU, GWU, Wake Forest, Iowa, Ohio State, Rochester, Georgetown, Minnesota, Indiana, Temple, Drexel, Utah, Penn State, UConn, Louisville, Missouri, St. Louis

Otherwise I'd take any recommendations for programs to look into and what are my general chances at an academic IM program. Thanks!

Looking for an academic IM program. I just started researching programs and so far I've come up with:
VCU, GWU, Wake Forest, Iowa, Ohio State, Rochester, Georgetown, Minnesota, Indiana, Temple, Drexel, Utah, Penn State, UConn, Louisville, Missouri, St. Louis

Otherwise I'd take any recommendations for programs to look into and what are my general chances at an academic IM program. Thanks!

Reasonable
Could add NJMS to the list
Not sure which places in NY take DOs but you could ask and look at their historical records. Your app seems above average (though perhaps not standout stellar) so I think you will do well.

Good chance at academic IM. Maybe less of a shot at places like Iowa. I would add Carolinas, MUSC, USC, NJMS, and a few strong community places as well.

Good chance at academic IM. Maybe less of a shot at places like Iowa. I would add Carolinas, MUSC, USC, NJMS, and a few strong community places as well.

USC is more competitive than Iowa (likely due to location), but agree with the others.

Is there a way to look at some strong community programs? I feel like finding a list is pretty difficult especially with fellowship opportunities.

Is there a way to look at some strong community programs? I feel like finding a list is pretty difficult especially with fellowship opportunities.
There's a PDF on this page Fellowship Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program where you can see all the fellowship programs in America. So if you are looking for GI fellowships you can go through state by state and see where those fellowships are located. The ones that don't say "University of . . ." are the strong community ones

Low tier US MD
Step 1 - 251
Step 2 CK/CS- yet to take
AOA - TBD
No red flags
Pre-clinical - Top quartile
Clinicals: H IM, H Ob/gyn, H Psych. Still have peds, surg and FM to go as far as core rotations.
Research/ECs/LORs: Nothing spectacular...some leadership, mentoring, volunteering, research activities but no pubs. Trying to get some case reports published...One very strong letter from an OB/GYN, 1 strong letter from IM clerkship director and will get one from my IM-Sub I.

Looking to match academic Southeast..here's a list I've come up with so far.

UAB, USA, GWU, Georgetown, Jackson Memorial, UCF, Mayo Jacksonville, Cleveland Clinic Florida, FAU, UF, USF, Emory, MCG, UK, Louisville, UNC, Wake, East Carolina, Carolinas Med Ctr, USC Greenville, MUSC, Palmetto Health Richland, UTenn (Memphis, Nashville), Vanderbilt, UTexas (Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, Austin), Baylor, Scott and White, VTech, UVA, VCU

I mainly looked for university programs/in-house fellowships assuming they will have decent research opportunities as my career goal is non-invasive cardiology. Suggestions on some programs to add?

Last edited:

I would add MUSC, USC, UT-Memphis, USF, Kentucky, Cleveland Clinic, Henry Ford, Case Reserve. You'd be competitive for some good Texas programs too (Houston, UTMB, San Antonio) if you're interested in the area.

Low tier US MD
Step 1 - 251
AOA - TBD
No red flags
Pre-clinical - Top quartile
Clinicals: H IM, H Ob/gyn, H Psych. Still have peds, surg and FM to go as far as core rotations.
Research/ECs/LORs: Nothing spectacular...some leadership, mentoring, volunteering, research activities but no pubs. Trying to get some case reports published...One very strong letter from an OB/GYN, 1 strong letter from IM clerkship director and will get one from my IM-Sub I.

Looking to match academic Southeast..here's a list I've come up with so far.

UAB, USA, GWU, Georgetown, Jackson Memorial, UCF, Mayo Jacksonville, Cleveland Clinic Florida, FAU, UF, USF, Emory, MCG, UK, Louisville, UNC, Wake, East Carolina, Carolinas Med Ctr, USC Greenville, MUSC, Palmetto Health Richland, UTenn (Memphis, Nashville), Vanderbilt, UTexas (Houston, Galveston, San Antonio, Austin), Baylor, Scott and White, VTech, UVA, VCU

I mainly looked for university programs/in-house fellowships assuming they will have decent research opportunities as my career goal is non-invasive cardiology. Suggestions on some programs to add?

I’m applying this round with very similar stats. Did a little worse on step, but managed AOA. I got interviews at all the strong programs on your list.

Vandy, UAB, Emory, UVA, UNC are the strongest on your list, and you have an excelllent shot at all of them — particularly with AOA and strong letters. I’d add Duke, UTSW, and WashU.

Depending on how tied you are to the southeast, you could add Northwestern and UChicago, and Michigan. Then of course there’s a massive number of strong northeast programs that I know nothing about.

Last edited:
I’m applying this round with very similar stats. Did a little worse on step, but managed AOA. I got interviews at all the strong programs on your list.

Vandy, UAB, Emory, UVA, UNC, and Duke are the strongest on your list, and you have an excelllent shot at all of them — particularly with AOA and strong letters. I’d add Duke, UTSW, and WashU.

Depending on how tied you are to the southeast, you could add Northwestern and UChicago, and Michigan. Then of course there’s a massive number of strong northeast programs that I know nothing about.

I left out Duke and UTSW due to lack of productive research and the fact I attend a low tier MD. With AOA and 1 or 2 pubs I'd feel better about my chances though. Northwestern, WashU, UChicago and Michigan are a bit far for me geographically... Glad to hear your interviewing season has been going well!

Your list is fine. I don't think you'll get IVs at Duke or Vanderbilt, but UTSW, Emory, and UVA are attainable reaches. Would add the Louisiana programs as they offer good clinical training. Good luck.

NY State MD School
Step 1 - 253
Step 2 CK- 260
Clerkships:
- Honors: IM, FM, Surg, Neuro, Peds
- HP: OB, Psych
- will be doing my Sub-I soon with an attending I know so most likely Honor in that as well.
AOA - Most likely not
Class Rank: 1st or 2nd quartile (TBD)
No red flags
Research:
- 1 Case report (non-IM field)
- 1 manuscript submitted (not high authorship)
- working on a systematic review, hopefully submitting soon
- 1 poster presentation in college (non-IM field)
ECs:
- Some volunteering here and there, nothing significant

Looking to match in the North East, preferably NY (will be able to live rent-free with family).

What are my chances specifically at the big 4 in NYC (NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai) and anything I can do now to improve my chances? Thank you very much in advance!

NY State MD School
Step 1 - 253
Step 2 CK- 260
Clerkships:
- will be doing my Sub-I soon with an attending I know so most likely Honor in that as well.
AOA - Most likely not
No red flags
Research:
ECs:

Looking to match in the North East, preferably NY (will be able to live rent-free with family).

What are my chances specifically at the big 4 in NYC (NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Sinai) and anything I can do now to improve my chances? Thank you very much in advance!

I have pretty similar stats, plus AOA and several publications from a mid-atlantic MD program and didn't get a single interview at the big 4 in NYC this cycle. I suspect you'll get at least couple though, being from NY. Point I'm making though, is that it's very competitive at the top of IM. Apply broadly if you have a lot of those top programs on your list.

NY State MD School
Step 1 - 253
Step 2 CK- 260
Clerkships:
AOA - Most likely not
No red flags
Research:
ECs:

It’s very competitive especially coming from a state school and likely not getting AOA. That said your steps grade ecs are all excellent so I suspect you’ll get 1 or 2 of Cornell NYU Sinai. Columbia might be tougher. If you’re looking to stay in the area even though it doesn’t rise to the competitiveness or prestige of “the big 4” I’d strongly consider Montefiore.

NY State MD School
Step 1 - 253
Step 2 CK- 260
Clerkships:
AOA - Most likely not
No red flags
Research:
ECs:

In addition to what has already been said above, specifically, you should reach out to people in your IM department to see if they have personal connections to faculty in the big 4 to make calls on your behalf. As it stands right now, I think you may get an IV at Cornell but that's it.

NY State MD School
Step 1 - 253
Step 2 CK- 260
Clerkships:
AOA - Most likely not
No red flags
Research:
ECs:

Upstate or Downstate?

I'm a Downstate grad and the saying "back then" was that you needed to have 3 extra letters behind your name to get those interviews...AOA or PhD...didn't really matter. But you needed at least one set of them.

You have a perfectly fine CV but nothing to really make you stand out at those programs.

I had average Step scores but had all 6 letters after my name and I only got Cornell and Sinai invites.

NY State MD School
Step 1 - 253
Step 2 CK- 260
Clerkships:
AOA - Most likely not
No red flags
Research:
ECs:

As a fellow SUNY grad who thought he absolutely needed to stay in NYC I can tell you that getting out is the best thing you can do at this stage. It'll be quite an uphill battle even with those stellar stats. Even if you get an interview half the match list at some of these places are their own students so you're competing for way fewer spots. Montefiore will be there with open arms to take a high achieving big 4 reject though. Cast a wide net (geographically) and you'll be pleasantly surprised by what's out there.

Top 50 med school by USNews in research (guessing this equates to mid-tier?)
MD.PhD student
Step 1 - 219
AOA - probably not
No red flags
Pre-clinical - school doesn't do rankings, but I imagine I'm average
Clinicals: H in OB, HP in everything else.
Research/ECs/LORs: One 1st author and one 2nd author pub from PhD (worked on a painstakingly long project), a few collaborations that probably won't get written up before application. A few other pubs from college and some op-ed pieces. A lot of leadership and extracurriculars. LORs pending but hopefully strong (at least the one from my PI). A few awards here and there.

Goals: Aiming for an academic institution, hoping to sub-specialize later on (undecided which field). Not aiming for research track or fast track residencies. No geographical restrictions, though coastal cities would be nice (but probably not attainable lol).

Would like advice on what range of programs I have a general shot at? How do you decide on which are mid-tier academic vs lower-tier? Is it all by Doximity ranking? Thanks.

Top 50 med school by USNews in research (guessing this equates to mid-tier?)
MD.PhD student
Step 1 - 219
AOA - probably not
No red flags
Pre-clinical - school doesn't do rankings, but I imagine I'm average
Clinicals: H in OB, HP in everything else.
Research/ECs/LORs: One 1st author and one 2nd author pub from PhD (worked on a painstakingly long project), a few collaborations that probably won't get written up before application. A few other pubs from college and some op-ed pieces. A lot of leadership and extracurriculars. LORs pending but hopefully strong (at least the one from my PI). A few awards here and there.

Goals: Aiming for an academic institution, hoping to sub-specialize later on (undecided which field). Not aiming for research track or fast track residencies. No geographical restrictions, though coastal cities would be nice (but probably not attainable lol).

Would like advice on what range of programs I have a general shot at? How do you decide on which are mid-tier academic vs lower-tier? Is it all by Doximity ranking? Thanks.
Im an md/phd applying this cycle. I think you really need to think about exactly what you want. When programs interview md-phds there is a bit more expectation that you know what you want and where you are going. By saying that you are not looking to do research tracks, you undercut the strongest part of your application which will hurt your competitiveness, especially given your below average step 1. Just something to consider. And that's not to say you should apply research tracks - there are tons of programs that don't have explicit PSTP tracks.

I don't have a good grasp on which programs you will be competitive for.

Im an md/phd applying this cycle. I think you really need to think about exactly what you want. When programs interview md-phds there is a bit more expectation that you know what you want and where you are going. By saying that you are not looking to do research tracks, you undercut the strongest part of your application which will hurt your competitiveness, especially given your below average step 1. Just something to consider. And that's not to say you should apply research tracks - there are tons of programs that don't have explicit PSTP tracks.

I don't have a good grasp on which programs you will be competitive for.

Thanks for the input. I should've clarified that I do want to do research in the future, but I doubt I'll be competitive for the PSTP tracks. I'm hoping to do some research during residency and potentially apply for T32 grants as a starting step and go from there if I'm successful. Whether I will go for a full lab will depend on my research output during residency and fellowship (mostly) years.

I've come up with the following list of potential programs, would appreciate any thoughts about them.

Mayo Jacksonville, Baylor Houston, UCSD, USC, Case Western, UCLA-Harbor, Cedars-Sinai, Boston Univ Med Center, Rush, John Hopkins Bayview, Thomas Jefferson, Tufts, U Wisconsin, U Fl Gainesville, Albert Einstein Moses and Weiler, George Washington, Georgetown, Mt Sinai St Luke, Brown, Loyola, UIC, Mt Sinai BI, Univ of Mass, Univ of Conn, Rutgers, Univ of Vermont, Loma Linda, NYMC Metropolitan, St Elizabeth, Mount Auburn

Thanks for the input. I should've clarified that I do want to do research in the future, but I doubt I'll be competitive for the PSTP tracks. I'm hoping to do some research during residency and potentially apply for T32 grants as a starting step and go from there if I'm successful. Whether I will go for a full lab will depend on my research output during residency and fellowship (mostly) years.

I've come up with the following list of potential programs, would appreciate any thoughts about them.

Mayo Jacksonville, Baylor Houston, UCSD, USC, Case Western, UCLA-Harbor, Cedars-Sinai, Boston Univ Med Center, Rush, John Hopkins Bayview, Thomas Jefferson, Tufts, U Wisconsin, U Fl Gainesville, Albert Einstein Moses and Weiler, George Washington, Georgetown, Mt Sinai St Luke, Brown, Loyola, UIC, Mt Sinai BI, Univ of Mass, Univ of Conn, Rutgers, Univ of Vermont, Loma Linda, NYMC Metropolitan, St Elizabeth, Mount Auburn
If you are interested in PSTP then you should apply for it. If anything, it is less competitive because it is a much smaller pool of applicants. I think you will be more competitive than the programs you have listed here. If I were you I would include more reaches. I think it is worth it to apply to a lot of programs - it is just a few hundred dollars which is nothing when this is one of the most crucial steps in your career.

Also, take step 2ck early. If you score well, that will go a long way towards making you even more competitive.

If you are interested in PSTP then you should apply for it. If anything, it is less competitive because it is a much smaller pool of applicants. I think you will be more competitive than the programs you have listed here. If I were you I would include more reaches. I think it is worth it to apply to a lot of programs - it is just a few hundred dollars which is nothing when this is one of the most crucial steps in your career.

Also, take step 2ck early. If you score well, that will go a long way towards making you even more competitive.

Definitely will apply broadly, thanks for your advice!

- MS3 Reputable DO school in the Midwest.
- 4th quartile
- No honors or high pass in 3rd year.
- 501 comlex level 1.
- I didn't take USMLE because I was scared I would fail.
- I have 3 little kids.
- I think I'm a likeable guy with good people skills but who knows.

I've recently switched my desired specialty from FM to IM because I don't like peds or OB. Also I like more complicated cases.

I'd like to attend a residency that doesn't suck. I want to learn from good residents and preceptors. I'm scared that one of these community programs is gonna be a **** storm. I would also like to live in a city somewhere warm. If warm is not possible, a big enough city that has good shopping, food, and entertainment. How can I land a good community program? I'm assuming an academic program is out of the question for me.

Do better on step 2, Do an away, get published or present, apply broadly, match.

Most likely out of the running for academic without usmle.

Do better on step 2, Do an away, get published or present, apply broadly, match.

Most likely out of the running for academic without usmle.

I don't think I have time to do research because I have 3 kids. I imagine I'll still be able to match somewhere.

MS3
Top 50 med school in the NE
Step 1 - 217
AOA - no
Pre-clinical - all pass
Clinicals: H in IM, HP OB, P surgery/neurology so far
Research/ECs/LORs: 8 publications, 1 1st author, 1 3rd author, various posters/presentations related to these

From CA, shooting for an academic program. Would strongly consider staying at my home institution. Also looking to trim ~15 programs off this list and looking for help with safety (if thats a thing with my low step score), match & reach designation for programs. Made a list of programs based on NE, near cities, on the west coast & TX.

AZ - 4 (Creighton, U Arizona Phoenix, U Arizona Tucson South, U Arizona Tucson)
CA - 9 (Loma Linda, USC, UCI, UC Davis, UCLA Harbor, Cedars Sinai, UCLA Olive View, UC Riverside, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center)
CO - 1 (U Colorado)
CT -2 (U Connecticut (New Britain, U Connecticut)
DC - 2 (GW, Georgetown)
FL - 4 (FAU, U Florida, Florida State, U South Florida)
IL - 6 (Rush, U Illinois Chicago, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, U Chicago - NorthShore, Cook County Health)
LA - 3 (LSU - Baton Rouge, LSU - New Orleans, Tulane)
MD - 2 (Johns Hopkins Bayview, U Maryland)
MA - 2 (Boston U, Tufts)
MI - 1 (Michigan)
NH - 1 (Dartmouth)
NJ - 4 (Cooper, Hackensack, Rutgers RWJ, Rutgers NJ Medical)
NY - 6 (Jacobi - Bronx, Montefiore - Bronx, SUNY Brooklyn, Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, NYMC, NYU)
OR - 1 (OHSU)
PA - 6 (St. Luke’s, Penn state, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, UPMC Pittsburgh)
RI - 1 (Brown)
TX - 4 (UTSW, U Texas, Baylor, U Houston)
VA - 1 (U Virginia)
WA - 1 (U Washington)
Total: 61 (hoping to trim to ~45).

Thanks,