This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Osteoth

You have a top heavy list... Your research background is great but your step1 might be an issue for some of the schools in your list.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Osteoth

You have a top heavy list... Your research background is great but your step1 might be an issue for some of the schools in your list.

So can you provide any assistance in stratifying? I'm new to IM so just learning about ranks rn. I assume any school my mom's heard of is a super reach for me.

So can you provide any assistance in stratifying? I'm new to IM so just learning about ranks rn. I assume any school my mom's heard of is a super reach for me.

UMich, UPMC, UTSW, UVA, UW, NYU are major reaches. These ones I think are pretty unlikely based on competitiveness, but can't hurt to apply if you really want to go: USC, UCD, U Colorado, Baylor, BU, OHSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMich, UPMC, UTSW, UVA, UW, NYU are major reaches. These ones I think are pretty unlikely based on competitiveness, but can't hurt to apply if you really want to go: USC, UCD, U Colorado, Baylor, BU, OHSU.

So that brings the list to 54. Any recommendations for splitting the list by reach/match?

Do I even have “safety” programs with a step score so low?

@Osteoth

USC, UCD, U Colorado, U Washington, Baylor, OHSU are major reaches as well IMO.

Jefferson, Temple, U Florida (Gainesville), Tulane are reaches but you might have a shot a those...

Anyway, you will match because you have about 15+ matches and a few 'safeties' in your list

MS3 mid tier Midwest allopathic school
Step 1: 249
Step 2: TBD
Clerkship grades: HP in IM, H in the others (still have 2-3 left)
Preclinical: all H
AOA: TBD
Research: couple of abstracts, posters, likely have a few publications/submissions by time ERAS is due

WAMC at the following

NW, UChicago, UWashington, UTSW, Mayo, Michigan, Vandy, Emory, Colorado, Case Western, CCW, UNC, UVA, Yale, UCSD

Also, would it benefit me to move my IM subI up before September so I can get in before ERAS is due?

Research: couple of abstracts, posters, likely have a few publications/submissions by time ERAS is due

WAMC at the following

NW, UChicago, UWashington, UTSW, Mayo, Michigan, Vandy, Emory, Colorado, Case Western, CCW, UNC, UVA, Yale, UCSD

Also, would it benefit me to move my IM subI up before September so I can get in before ERAS is due?
With the HP in IM and no significant research yet (but I'm holding my breath for your pubs), that list is extremely top heavy. For many of those places, you need something more than high steps to get an interview. Significant research (like first-author, not chart review) and AOA are the 2 things I can think of that would move your app higher up in the pile. I'm not sure Step 2 will make a huge difference as your Step 1 score is pretty good. You definitely need to do your Sub-I as early as possible and kill it. Honors in that will go a long way.

Keep in mind, your LORs matter. If you can get through the initial app screening (which your Step 1 score will likely do, AOA and an H in your Sub-I will help dramatically), a strong LOR from a well known faculty can push your app to the top of the pile.

Finally...you're missing a TON of strong programs in these same geographic regions that you have a very good chance at:
Wisconsin
Indy
Utah
tOSU
Wake
UAB

These all spring to mind without even thinking about it. Plenty more where those came from.

Good luck

WAMC at the following

If you feel confident you can honor, I would absolutely move the Sub-I. The HP in IM hurts, but honoring the sub-I could go a long way making up for it.

You’re already a really solid applicant. A good step 2CK will keep you moving in the right direction. As it stands now, I think you’d get 2-3 IVs out of the first 8 you listed. And I think you’d get IVs at many of the rest you listed. Add in AOA, honors in Sub-I, along with solid ECs and LORs, and I think you’d get more like 5-6 of your first 8 and most of the rest. You’ve got to have something to stand out. Also, I’d add in UAB and Wisconsin. I loved both and actually ranked them higher than the majority of the programs on your list.

For reference, I’m an M4 at an average Midwest med school. Similar scores as you +AOA, H in IM, and H in sub-i. Strong EC’s and class rank. No research. I never heard from UChicago or UTSW. Didn’t apply to Mayo, Yale, UWashington, or UCSD. I got interviews at all the rest that you listed.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I'm an MS3 going to a top 20 med school wondering about the importance of non-IM grades. So far I've honored all 3rd year clerkships, including IM, peds, ob/gyn, neuro, psych, outpatient medicine, and still have surgery, FM pending. Step 1 is 253. However, I only have an abstract published and am working on a project which may result in a second author publication before applications are due. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find time to do quality research during 3rd year if I want to give my best effort for the clerkships. I'm planning to spend more time on research and less on studying which may hurt my grades a little. Do IM programs put much weight on things like surgery? I'm hoping to get some IVs from top 20 programs. Thanks!
I'd say honoring all of your clerkships, getting AOA, and having good letters are all more important than research

I'm an MS3 going to a top 20 med school wondering about the importance of non-IM grades. So far I've honored all 3rd year clerkships, including IM, peds, ob/gyn, neuro, psych, outpatient medicine, and still have surgery, FM pending. Step 1 is 253. However, I only have an abstract published and am working on a project which may result in a second author publication before applications are due. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find time to do quality research during 3rd year if I want to give my best effort for the clerkships. I'm planning to spend more time on research and less on studying which may hurt my grades a little. Do IM programs put much weight on things like surgery? I'm hoping to get some IVs from top 20 programs. Thanks!

You’ll be fine, first world problem worrier

Seriously... top 20 Med school, step 1 > 250, honors in all clerkships, ongoing research? Get outta here with the humble brag

Reactions: 1 users
This may be a stupid question, but can I include presentations that I gave in my masters program before starting med school?

If it’s published in a peer reviewed journal or presented at a meeting sure

Otherwise useless

MS3 at West Coast top 20 medical school
Step 1: 259
Step 2: not taken yet
Clerkship grades: H in IM, HP in FM/Psych/Peds
Research: MD/PhD - 1 first author, 4 middle author publications
Hoping to stay on the west coast or go to a good university program.
What do you think of my list? Should I apply to more than 20? Any schools I should specifically add?

1. Massachusetts General
2. Johns Hopkins
3. Brigham and Women’s
4. Duke
5. Washington University
6. University of Pennsylvania
7. Columbia
8. Northwestern
9. Vanderbilt
10. UNC
11. UT Southwestern
12. UCSF
13. Stanford
14. UCSD
15. UCLA
16. UC Davis
17. USC
18. UC Irvine
19. UW
20. OHSU

MS3 at mid-tier program in midwest.
Step 1: 231
Step 2 CK: TBD
Step 2 CS: TBD
Clerkship grades: H in Neuro and OB Gyn; HP in IM; likely HP in Surgery; Peds/FM/Psych pending
Preclinical: Almost all H/HP, a couple of P's
Research: 1 first author publication in surgical subspecialty; 50/50 chance for another first author publication in same specialty (at least would be abstract); 3 national presentations, 1 case report
AOA: TBD; not expecting it to be honest but not sure

Where should I start for my list? I'd like to get back to CA but I understand with my Step 1 it will probably not happen. Thanks for any help

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think of my list? Should I apply to more than 20? Any schools I should specifically add?

1. Massachusetts General
2. Johns Hopkins
3. Brigham and Women’s
4. Duke
5. Washington University
7. Columbia
8. Northwestern
9. Vanderbilt
10. UNC
11. UT Southwestern
12. UCSF
13. Stanford
14. UCSD
15. UCLA
16. UC Davis
17. USC
18. UC Irvine
19. UW
20. OHSU
Im an md/phd that applied this year. I'd probably add a few given how competitive these programs are - maybe consider cornell, mt. sinai, beth israel deaconess medical center in boston, university of Chicago, emory, yale, university of michigan. I suspect you'll do just fine though.

1. Massachusetts General
2. Johns Hopkins
3. Brigham and Women’s
4. Duke
5. Washington University
7. Columbia
8. Northwestern
9. Vanderbilt
10. UNC
11. UT Southwestern
12. UCSF
13. Stanford
14. UCSD
15. UCLA
16. UC Davis
17. USC
18. UC Irvine
19. UW
20. OHSU

No chance. Better go community programs in rural areas

What are my chances at top academic IM programs (planning on pursuing a competitive fellowship)
School rank: top 25
Step 1: low 240s
Step 2: upper 240s (CS: pass)
Clerkship grades: mostly H/HP (HP medicine)
Research: strong (multiples pubs, posters, abstracts, one second author, one first author pending); masters degree from undergrad; currently taking a year off with a competitive research fellowship grant with research in fellowship specialty of interest
LOR: research letter likely to be strong; unsure about clinical letters, will have a better idea after I complete my Sub/Acting Internship

I'm mostly concerned about my step scores as it might block me from getting interviews at top academic places and wanted to hear your thoughts about the type of programs that I should apply to? (East or West coast preferred, followed by Midwest)

What are my chances at top academic IM programs (planning on pursuing a competitive fellowship)
Research: strong (multiples pubs, posters, abstracts, one second author, one first author pending); masters degree from undergrad; currently taking a year off with a competitive research fellowship grant with research in fellowship specialty of interest
LOR: research letter likely to be strong; unsure about clinical letters, will have a better idea after I complete my Sub/Acting Internship

I'm mostly concerned about my step scores as it might block me from getting interviews at top academic places and wanted to hear your thoughts about the type of programs that I should apply to? (East or West coast preferred, followed by Midwest)
You'll be fine for fellowships so don't worry about that. I think your board scores put you in a place that is really difficult to predict who will give you interviews and who won't. Going to a Top 25 is super helpful though and obviously your research seems like a plus. I think it's really likely that you'll get 5-10 top 25 interviews but it's impossible to predict which ones. A lot will depend on which school you go to. I kind of doubt you'll get interviews to programs like BWH, MGH, UCSF, JHH, UPenn, Duke, Stanford but there are plenty of other great programs that will get you where you want to go

Dude you're so funny and original. God forbid someone ask for an opinion for a process they haven't experienced and represents the most critical step of their career.

Did I tell them not to ask for an opinion? Not sure your point here. Feel free to ignore if you have an issue. Not sure why it triggers you.

My point in an earlier post stands. This forum is overwhelmingly biased towards the anxious overachievers who have never experienced failure who want to humblebrag and get validated on their career trajectory. I find that providing advice in that vein is unhelpful because they already know that they’re going to do well.

Did I tell them not to ask for an opinion? Not sure your point here. Feel free to ignore if you have an issue. Not sure why it triggers you.

My point in an earlier post stands. This forum is overwhelmingly biased towards the anxious overachievers who have never experienced failure who want to humblebrag and get validated on their career trajectory. I find that providing advice in that vein is unhelpful because they already know that they’re going to do well.
You're also able to ignore their posts since they trigger you. You posted basically the same thing when I asked for advice last year. And, you have been posting the same type of replies for a long time now. It seems like a personal issue that you have to assign the assumption that someone is humble bragging just because they have good scores. I received what I found to be helpful advice contrary to your opinion. Even if people are anxious, there is nothing wrong with getting some feedback from people that have gone through it before.

Im an IMG interested in IM and possibly Cards fellowship.
Stats:
Step 1 :261
Step 2: pending
Clerkship grades: 3H, rest pending
Research: 3 review papers as of right now.
Mostly applying the northeast area but am open to other spots.
What are my chances and what would you say my ceiling is in terms of competitive programs as obviously being an IMG is going to bar me from many programs.

Thank you.

Stats:
What are my chances and what would you say my ceiling is in terms of competitive programs as obviously being an IMG is going to bar me from many programs.

Thank you.
What kind of IMG? Carib? Need a visa?

Have you looked through this year's IMG thread? Might give you some idea.

Hello guys any opinion of WAMC and some advices for the next cycle?

NonUS IMG (need VISA)
step1: 254 (1st)
step2ck: 254 (1st)
stepcs: pass 1st attempt

YoG: 2018

USCE: 2 months (1 elective, 1 obsevership)
LoRs: 2US (1 strong, 1 good), (quick question- If I am a resident in a hospital-my country, is it better to provide a LoR from Chair of my department or a LoR from one of our school professors, or it doesnt matter at all?)

Research: 1 publication (hoping to take some more the next few months)

currently preparing for step3- hope to take during May.

Thanks a lot!

NonUS IMG (need VISA)

LoRs: 2US (1 strong, 1 good), (quick question- If I am a resident in a hospital-my country, is it better to provide a LoR from Chair of my department or a LoR from one of our school professors, or it doesnt matter at all?)

Thanks a lot!

I don’t know how to answer the question.

Do well on step 3, apply broadly (at least 100+ programs) but your scores and research/USCE make you competitive probably for at least decent community and low tier IM univ programs. Mid tiers and upper tiers are unlikely. Leverage your contacts as well. You have time to beef up your application even more - make the best use of it!

Stats:

Thank you.

I’m assuming as a Carib IMG you’re probably Canadian? If so you need to apply broadly to places that will take your J1.

You have a great step 1 score and need to do well on step 2 but I would broaden your geographic area. The NE has lots of programs but you may need to include more than just those. Also wouldn’t bother with the high tier and upper mid tier ones - Carib students basically get filtered out

I’m assuming as a Carib IMG you’re probably Canadian? If so you need to apply broadly to places that will take your J1.

You have a great step 1 score and need to do well on step 2 but I would broaden your geographic area. The NE has lots of programs but you may need to include more than just those. Also wouldn’t bother with the high tier and upper mid tier ones - Carib students basically get filtered out
Thanks I appreciate the advice.

You should have no problems matching in the top 20, coming from a good school with good scores and strong research. What will really open even more doors is to get AOA (which probably guarantees you 5+ IVs in the top 10), which you should be in the running for. Take subI and make sure you honor it.

You should apply to all the top programs on the coasts (usual suspects in Boston/NY/Philly/Bmore/Cali/UW), followed by top programs in the Southeast/Midwest (Duke,Vandy,Michigan,WashU,NW,UChicago), followed by strong programs in your location of choice on the coasts. 5 "safety" programs will be enough (i.e. program along the calibers of BU, Montefiore,Oregon, etc)

NonUS IMG (need VISA)

Thanks a lot!

You should be competitive of mid tier academic program who have taken IMGs before. No shot at top 20. In terms of LOR, unless your department chair is very well known, probably better to get a letter from someone who knows you well and who can write a stronger one.

Hi all. I failed to match ophthalmology this year and am considering my options for the next cycle. I am delaying my graduation and will be graduating in 2020.

USMD @ Top 20 Medical School.
Step 1: 231 Step 2: 240s
Clinical: 1H (Psych), 1HP (Surgery), P rest including medicine. HP in my Medicine SubI
5 Manuscripts, Presentations in various fields
Regional ties to midwest

Have an interest in cardiology fellowship if I choose this path.

Any shot for top Midwest IM programs, like UChicago, NW, UMich? Where all should I apply? how can I improve my application before next year? Cheers

Why do you want to do IM? Is it because you think you have the best shot at getting into a top or name brand residency? Do you want to do cardiology because of its perceived status? Why did you choose ophtho initially?
Basically your grades are a deal breaker for top programs, especially with average step scores. The P in medicine is concerning but combined with a HP in your subI it's more concerning. It signals to programs that you aren't ready for internship and will need more hand-holding than average.
I think the most important thing to do during your extra year of med school is to do some soul searching and decide on a specialty not based on ego but based on substance. If you still decide you want to pursue IM you should look into doing another medicine SubI to improve your grade. You also need to make sure you don't apply to a very top-heavy list which it seems from this post you are at great risk of doing.

NonUS IMG (need VISA)

Thanks a lot!

Hey, having gone through this years match, I would say your best bet is low-tier university hospitals (UConn etc.) and high-tier community hospitals (Einstein-Philly, Cook County, Mount-Sinai St. Luke etc.) unless you are coming from a well-known IMG school. Chair letters for Medicine are useless for IMGs, I would use try to get an additional US LOR and use that one.

Hey, having gone through this years match, I would say your best bet is low-tier university hospitals (UConn etc.) and high-tier community hospitals (Einstein-Philly, Cook County, Mount-Sinai St. Luke etc.) unless you are coming from a well-known IMG school. Chair letters for Medicine are useless for IMGs, I would use try to get an additional US LOR and use that one.
Thanks for your reply. I will. definitely try and I know that it can not be answered directly but I think that the main dilema not only for me. but also for other IMGs is: a good/mediocre US lor OR a strong lor from. the place we are currently working/studying?

I am an M3 who has recently decided to pursue IM with the end goal of a fellowship in GI.

Mid/low tier US MD
Step 1 - 240
Step 2 CK/CS- yet to take
AOA - Nominated
Pre-clinical - Top quartile
Clinicals: HP IM and Surgery, H Peds; still need to complete OB/Gyn, FM, and Psych
Research: Presented histology research project at one local and one national conference; one non-IM case report is pending publication
ECs: Author/editor in ScholarRx's global curriculum initiative, member of my school's Student Curriculum Council, chapter AMA delegate, peer tutor, volunteer as anatomy outreach instructor for high school youths in the area
LoRs: Likely to be strong, plan for one from Sub-I and one from IM rotation (HP from IM was a function of the NBME, as I honored the clinical portion)

My goal is to match to a residency (and eventually practice) in the Cleveland area, so I am wondering WAMC of matching at CCF, CWRU/UH, or MetroHealth. Aside from that, my list is pretty broad and includes UPMC, OSU, UofMich, WashU (STL), Washington, Cincy, UIC, Cook County, MGH (grandfather trained there in IM, so why not?), Brown, UofMaryland, Zucker at Hofstra, Mayo (AZ), UofColorado, Rush University, and Icahn at Mount Sinai. WAMC at those programs, and what are some others I ought to consider that would mesh well with my statistics? Thank you in advance.

Thanks for your reply. I will. definitely try and I know that it can not be answered directly but I think that the main dilema not only for me. but also for other IMGs is: a good/mediocre US lor OR a strong lor from. the place we are currently working/studying?

This is a tough one. Good US LOR would be better than a very good home country LOR, not sure about a mediocre one. I wouldn't use more than 1 home country LOR, regardless of its quality.

Mid tier US MD
Step 1: 220-225
Step 2 CK/CS: 240-245/Pass
AOA - No
Pre-clinical: lower 1/3. Had to remediate anatomy as an M1 :(. Passed or honored everything else.
Clinicals: HP: IM, psych, family Honors: Peds, Neurology, Urology Pass: Surgery, emergency med
Research: 1-3 publications, multiple conference presentations, abstracts
ECs: Good and varied ECs, completed Master of Public Health while in Med School
LoRs: Should be strong

Looking for recommendations on programs that I may be competitive for in the NYC area.

Thanks so much!

Mid tier US MD
AOA - No
Pre-clinical: lower 1/3. Had to remediate anatomy as an M1 :(. Passed or honored everything else.
Clinicals: HP: IM, psych, family Honors: Peds, Neurology, Urology Pass: Surgery, emergency med

Looking for recommendations on programs that I may be competitive for in the NYC area.

Thanks so much!
Every program your grandma hasn't heard of should be in your wheelhouse. I mean, you can waste your money on Columbia, Mt Sinai, NYU and Cornell (+/- Monte...that MPH might help you out in the Social Medicine track if they still have it) if you want, but it will be wasted. Otherwise, if you really want to be in NYC, you've got plenty of other options.

Of course, you've got plenty of much better options outside of NYC.

Every program your grandma hasn't heard of should be in your wheelhouse. I mean, you can waste your money on Columbia, Mt Sinai, NYU and Cornell (+/- Monte...that MPH might help you out in the Social Medicine track if they still have it) if you want, but it will be wasted. Otherwise, if you really want to be in NYC, you've got plenty of other options.

Of course, you've got plenty of much better options outside of NYC.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! I essentially have to be in NYC for family reasons. Besides those 4 programs would you say that I have somewhat of a shot at all of the other programs in the NYC area? Is there a consensus on what the programs that are the next tier down from those are?

I'm also a little confused at what to think of all of the hospitals that are associated with say Mt Sinai, NYU, NYP, Northwell etc. but are not their main programs (like Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, St. Lukes, NYU Winthrop etc.). Any thoughts on that?

I am an M3 who has recently decided to pursue IM with the end goal of a fellowship in GI.

Mid/low tier US MD
Step 1 - 240
Step 2 CK/CS- yet to take
AOA - Nominated
Pre-clinical - Top quartile
Clinicals: HP IM and Surgery, H Peds; still need to complete OB/Gyn, FM, and Psych
Research: Presented histology research project at one local and one national conference; one non-IM case report is pending publication
ECs: Author/editor in ScholarRx's global curriculum initiative, member of my school's Student Curriculum Council, chapter AMA delegate, peer tutor, volunteer as anatomy outreach instructor for high school youths in the area
LoRs: Likely to be strong, plan for one from Sub-I and one from IM rotation (HP from IM was a function of the NBME, as I honored the clinical portion)

My goal is to match to a residency (and eventually practice) in the Cleveland area, so I am wondering WAMC of matching at CCF, CWRU/UH, or MetroHealth. Aside from that, my list is pretty broad and includes UPMC, OSU, UofMich, WashU (STL), Washington, Cincy, UIC, Cook County, MGH (grandfather trained there in IM, so why not?), Brown, UofMaryland, Zucker at Hofstra, Mayo (AZ), UofColorado, Rush University, and Icahn at Mount Sinai. WAMC at those programs, and what are some others I ought to consider that would mesh well with my statistics? Thank you in advance.

Your chances are very good at Metrohealth, good at CCF, and fair at Case.

Otherwise, your chances are slim at Wash U, Michigan, Washington University, MGH, Sinai. I suggest don't bother wasting your money on those ones. Your list is also all over the place and I suggest you focus a bit more geographically.

Mid tier US MD
AOA - No

Thanks so much!

You won't be competitive for NYU,Columbia,Cornell,Sinai,Monte. You'll barely be competitive for Hofstra,Stonybrook. If being in NYC is the goal, then apply to all the residencies I did not name.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it! I essentially have to be in NYC for family reasons. Besides those 4 programs would you say that I have somewhat of a shot at all of the other programs in the NYC area? Is there a consensus on what the programs that are the next tier down from those are?

I'm also a little confused at what to think of all of the hospitals that are associated with say Mt Sinai, NYU, NYP, Northwell etc. but are not their main programs (like Mt. Sinai Beth Israel, St. Lukes, NYU Winthrop etc.). Any thoughts on that?

They're all community hospitals at various levels of disarray. Have little to do with main University program.

They're all community hospitals at various levels of disarray. Have little to do with main University program.

The "various levels of disarray" sounds a bit concerning. Is there a somewhat established set of programs that are in er.. less disarray? Is there no clear tier of programs below Columbia, Mt Sinai, NYU, Cornell, +/- Monte?

Your grades (and anatomy remediation if listed on MSPE=red flag) plus steps are all working against your competitiveness for academic nyc “area” programs. These include as above Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, monte, yale, Rutgers, northwell. That’s said a) you should still apply there is no harm, unless you’re being money conscious (although suspect you may only get an IV at Rutgers and northwell in the above list). There are also other nyc area “academic” programs that are of a lower tier like stony brook, and downstate. And then there is Westchester medical center which is more on the level of a community program and is nearly all IMGs/FMGs.

As far as community programs;

Jacobi
Sinai west (slr)
Lenox hill
Winthrop
Njms

Otherwise there are other less reputable community programs like nyp queens, Sinai elmhurst that you could apply to but I suspect even in the Uber competitiveness of nyc you’re likely to end up at a better program. I would avoid Sinai Beth Israel at all costs given what is currently going on there with the program (search function if you want to learn more).

Your mph, ecs and research may help you match decently but keep your expectations in check. Apply broadly. I think that if you have your sights on a stony brook, Rutgers, northwell level program you probably can match there but would apply to many community programs (examples above) to ensure you have many to choose from just in case. I also agree with @gutonc that if you’re interested in primary care or social medicine definitely apply to those tracks for Monte and other programs that offer it because they tend to be more forgiving of lower scores. Keep in mind you can and should apply to both pc and categorical tracks where offered not just pc.

Hello friends,

looking to apply IM mainly (preferably on west coast --have ties to the area).

Im currently an OMS-III (not from a big name DO school)

My red flags:

- bottom 10% of class

- failed 1 class OMS-I, but remediated and passed

- STEP 1: 20X ; COMLEX 1: 52X

- not much research involvement; no awards (obviously)

Some positives (I guess):

- Doing well OMS-III year. Our school doesn't really do high pass/honors, but gives numerical grades. My lowest has been an 84 (FM, and Peds). Highest have been IM (97, 95) and Surgery (95). Grades are mainly determined by shelf exams, but my clinical/preceptor evaluations have all been very good too (lowest was a 90 in Peds)

- of course, planning on doing well on step 2, etc, etc.

I am completely screwed for everything? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Mid tier US MD
AOA - No

Thanks so much!

You'll get interviews at outliers like Hofstra and Stony Brook. I'm a DO student with similar scores who interviewed at SBUH. Loved the program, as it ultimately was #2 on my ROL.

Hello friends,

looking to apply IM mainly (preferably on west coast --have ties to the area).

Im currently an OMS-III (not from a big name DO school)

My red flags:

- bottom 10% of class

- failed 1 class OMS-I, but remediated and passed

- STEP 1: 20X ; COMLEX 1: 52X

- not much research involvement; no awards (obviously)

Some positives (I guess):

- Doing well OMS-III year. Our school doesn't really do high pass/honors, but gives numerical grades. My lowest has been an 84 (FM, and Peds). Highest have been IM (97, 95) and Surgery (95). Grades are mainly determined by shelf exams, but my clinical/preceptor evaluations have all been very good too (lowest was a 90 in Peds)

- of course, planning on doing well on step 2, etc, etc.

I am completely screwed for everything? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

Your M3 grades don't matter when compared to the other red flags: bottom of the barrel Step 1 and avg to below avg COMLEX, etc. You'll probably match IM, but you don't have the ability to be choosy when it comes to location. I'd suggest applying really broadly. Also, your biggest boost would come from a 240+/600+ on Step 2.

Your chances are very good at Metrohealth, good at CCF, and fair at Case.

Otherwise, your chances are slim at Wash U, Michigan, Washington University, MGH, Sinai. I suggest don't bother wasting your money on those ones. Your list is also all over the place and I suggest you focus a bit more geographically.

Thank you very much for your feedback. In refining my list, my top preferences are for academic programs in the midwest/PA. Any suggestions for good matches in that range? Thank you again.

Thank you very much for your feedback. In refining my list, my top preferences are for academic programs in the midwest/PA. Any suggestions for good matches in that range? Thank you again.

OSU,CCF,Case,Metrohealth,Indiana,Cincy,UIC,Loyola,Rush,Pitt. You can also add Philly programs and some of the smaller ones in PA but they're further away from your geographical region of choice. If you're willing to venture into the Great Lake states, then can add the Michigan programs,Wisconsin,MCW,Minnesota,Mayo. I doubt you'll get IVs at Michigan,NW, or UoChicago but hey it's only money.

Of the ones I listed, I think realistically you should aim for Pitt, Case on the higher end and a lot of the other ones would be a good fit.

AMG with scores in the 240s and HP in IM with reasonable research and extracurriculars without major red flags is competitive at all the Cleveland programs. Good places near the three big Cleveland programs within a reasonable range are OSU, Pitt, and Michigan(the most competitive of the bunch). You said Cleveland and anything farther out (cincy, Indiana the Chicago programs, geisinger, the Philly programs) get to be 5+ hours away from Cleveland. Even farther west while still ‘midwest’, Mayo Washington, Wisconsin are pretty far away from Cleveland.

Hello All,

I am currently a first year pathology resident at a large academic center. I have decided to switch into IM and want to pursue an infectious disease fellowship. Prior to my pathology residency I did an osteopathic TRI (similar to a transition year) for some clinical exposure prior to a career in pathology and running a clinical microbiology lab. I really liked my medicine months and haven't enjoyed my first year in pathology. Towards the end of my clinical year I had some doubts but I thought I would really like pathology. I was a microbiology major in undergrad and worked in a clinical microbiology lab for a couple of years before medical school. Having experienced both its clear in my mind I want to go back into medicine.

Med school rank: DO
USMLE Step 1: 254
COMLEX Level 1: 654
USMLE Step 2: 263
COMLEX Level 2: 721
COMLEX Level 3: 968 (99 percentile)
COMLEX PE: PASS, 1st attempt
Class rank: Top 5%
AOA: NA (sigma sigma phi, doubt it matters much)
Honors: Honors all cores third year
Research: a couple 2nd author pubs, a few posters, a few podiums.
LORS: I will ask my former TRI PD (hospitalist), as well as an additional hospitalist and ID doc from my TRI, and my path PD. I feel they will all be strong.

I would like to focus on NY (preferably Long Island where I grew up), should I focus on University or Community?. I don't think it will matter much for ID, and I am interested in community/private practice not academic.

Hi all, I will be a reapplicant. I applied for psychiatry this past cycle and unfortunately went unmatched and SOAPed into a transition year. I have decided to pursue IM as I really enjoyed my IM rotation and hospital medicine. I have found that psychiatric issues are present in patients in all specialties and would enjoy an IM residency. I would like to be a hospitalist upon graduation however I would like to keep fellowship options open.

What types of programs would I be competitive for? I am open to all regions however primarily looking in the Southeast (including Texas) along with the West Coast. I can provide a list of programs that I am interested in if needed.

Mid tier US MD
Step 1: 230-245
Step 2 CK/CS: 245-250/Pass
AOA - No
Pre-clinical: lower 1/3. Had to remediate neurology as an M1.
Clinicals: Honors - Surgery, HP - IM, Psychiatry, Pass - family, pediatrics/obgyn
Research: multiple conference presentations, no publications
ECs: Strong and varied ECs
LoRs: Strong IM letter from 3rd year rotation, will obtain more during TY