This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Second year DO student here. I plan on taking the USMLE step 1 (June 2020), so what's the minimum for DO students looking to match into Mid to low tier IM programs or even a good Community IM program with fellowships in house? Also are audition rotations necessary?

Our program, a solid mid tier in a desriable locaton, takes 1 DO a year, their Step I and II are both >250.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As an IM applicant for a competitive fellowship this year, I want to add something I wish I knew applying for residency not too long ago
Whether or not you match to a fellowship depends mostly on your AMG status.
Where you match for that fellowship, for the most part, depends on where you did your resident and your letter writers
Just keep that in mind when you do your rank list
Good luck all

Is this for competitive fellowships as well? Aka GI

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi team, would love some feedback as I've gotten some advice I'm not sure about.

AMG, top-tier (10-15?) MD school, no red flags
Step 1: 234
Step 2 CK: 260
School rank: 1st quartile
Grades: Honors in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, family medicine; High pass in psychiatry, OB/GYN
AOA: TBD
Research - 2 poster presentations, 1 first author publication
EC: average; Letters: strong
Goals: hospitalist at academic center and medical education; open to fellowship though, possibly cards; would like to match at a strong west coast program closer to family

List suggested by school: UPenn, UCSF, UW, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UW, UTSW, UNC, Columbia, Chicago, Colorado, Northwestern, Michigan, Yale, NYU , OHSU, Vanderbilt, WashU, Wisconsin, Brown, Boston

Programs added by me: Emory, Baylor, Tufts, Utah,

My initial impression is that the list provided by my school is top-heavy, though they note the reputation of our school carries weight. Would like some objective thoughts on my competitiveness? Programs to add? I feel I am limited by Step 1 and average ECs

Thank you!

As an IM applicant for a competitive fellowship this year, I want to add something I wish I knew applying for residency not too long ago
Whether or not you match to a fellowship depends mostly on your AMG status.
Where you match for that fellowship, for the most part, depends on where you did your resident and your letter writers
Just keep that in mind when you do your rank list
Good luck all

I thought step 1 still mattered the most (especially for competitive specialties)? Don't they screen you out if you have a low step 1?

I would say no. Apply broadly and across the country. I would focus mainly on community programs, former AOA programs, and in regions of the country where many people don't want to be (midwest, south). You'll match IM somewhere.
Did not take comlex 2PE yet. Do you think that will further diminish my chances of matching into IM?

Low/mid tier? MD school in TX
Step 1: 211
Step 2: 249
Clerkship grades: HO in IM, OB, Psych, Surg, FM, peds, neuro. ~50% HO
AOA: LOL
Pubs: 1 middle author for a chapter from undergrad., related to major. 1 case report. National poster presentation x1. state poster presentation x2. podium presentation at school x2. posters at school x3.
LOR: 1 def super strong. 1 may be okay, I think he'll explain my grades/scores are not equal to clinical performance. 1 from a sub-I, 1 chair's letter
ECs: >200 volunteer hours, some other vanilla stuff

Looking for a univ program with in house fellowship options

Current list:

TX/Target (10): Dell, Methodist Dallas, Round Rock BSW, UTHouston, UTMB, Baylor Dallas, UT San Antonio, Temple BSW, Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas Tech El Paso

Target (17): UAB Huntsville, Univ. New Mexico, Montefiore, Palmetto, UTennessee in Memphis, Nashville and Chatanooga, Univ of Utah, Medical College of Wisconsin, Univ of Arizona Tucson, Univ of Arkansas, Univ of Nevada, Carolinas Medical Center, Campbell Univ, Cone Health, Medical Univ of SC, Maricopa

Reach (9): Baylor, UAB, Brown, Washington Univ in St. Louis, Loma Linda, UCDavis, Houston Methodist, Mount Auburn, Cambridge Health

Appreciate any insight and other other suggestions of places to look! TIA :)

Mount Auburn and Cambridge Health I cant imagine are reaches. I also think Utah and montefiore should be moved down to reaches and not targets.

Reactions: 1 user
Mount Auburn and Cambridge Health I cant imagine are reaches. I also think Utah and montefiore should be moved down to reaches and not targets.
Thanks! I only put them as reaches since I'm from TX and I was told outside of the south-ish area, all places are reaches for TX applicants (except for those from like UTSW and Baylor)

Let me know if you think of any other places I should be looking at!

Hi! MS4 currently trying to finalize program list and would appreciate any suggestions! Looking for categorical IM at academic program, will likely pursue fellowship.

-Top 40ish MD state school in midwest
-Step 1 and 2CK = 250, taking CS late September
-Qualified for senior AOA, won't hear whether accepted until later this week
-Grades: Honors in all third year clerkships except OB and surgery, honors in medicine subI
-2 published papers from research prior to med school, small research project in med school without publication
-Several service and advocacy-related ECs/volunteer

Current list - Applying broadly, prefer to end up in bigger city in Midwest or Pacific Northwest.
Reaches: U Chicago, Northwestern, U Washington, OHSU, UPMC, Colorado, Michigan, UVA, Cleveland Clinic
Mid to lower-tier (I think): U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, Loyola, UIC, Rush, OSU, Case Western, U Indiana, Rush, U Vermont, Tufts, Sidney Kimmel, GW, Maine
And 8-10 community programs primarily in midwest and Pacific NW

Any other academic programs not on my list that are more mid-tier that I should consider including?? Struggling with getting a sense of which programs are more mid-tier and not reaches for me.

Thanks for any help!!

DO student
Step 1: taken, awaiting scores. Don't judge me on this. I had taken this as a last ditch effort to show residencies I could do better on this exam. Predicting 210s.
Comlex 1: 438
Step 2: 217
Comlex 2: 454

Class rank: Bottom quartile
Honors: HP in all, except for H in radiology
Research: 5 research publications (1 second author, 2 third author, 2 fourth author)
LORs should be solid

Do I have any hope for getting into an academic IM residency with my low scores? I still want to get the best training possible. Geography is not a problem, although I would prefer east coast and west coast.
Where would I be able to find resources/information on which programs I should apply to?
Any suggestions on how many total programs I should apply to? I will also be applying Family medicine as backup.
Thanks in advance!

Here goes nothing... Wondering where is even possible with my stats. I'd love to go back to NC.

DO student - OMS II
COMLEX I - 458
Class rank - 98/131
Special Attributes/Jobs-
RN -- ER, ICU, PACU (2011-2017)
Telemetry Tech (2010-2011)
CNA (2008-2010)

LORs - Should be able to get some good ones.
Research - Nada
EC - Various service projects throughout college

Members don't see this ad :)
Here goes nothing... Wondering where is even possible with my stats. I'd love to go back to NC.

DO student - OMS II
COMLEX I - 458
Class rank - 98/131
Special Attributes/Jobs-
RN -- ER, ICU, PACU (2011-2017)
Telemetry Tech (2010-2011)
CNA (2008-2010)

LORs - Should be able to get some good ones.
Research - Nada
EC - Various service projects throughout college
Thanks to CUSOM GME development in NC you might have chance there.

Hi team, would love some feedback as I've gotten some advice I'm not sure about.

Grades: Honors in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, family medicine; High pass in psychiatry, OB/GYN
Goals: hospitalist at academic center and medical education; open to fellowship though, possibly cards; would like to match at a strong west coast program closer to family

List suggested by school: UPenn, UCSF, UW, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UW, UTSW, UNC, Columbia, Chicago, Colorado, Northwestern, Michigan, Yale, NYU , OHSU, Vanderbilt, WashU, Wisconsin, Brown, Boston

My initial impression is that the list provided by my school is top-heavy, though they note the reputation of our school carries weight. Would like some objective thoughts on my competitiveness? Programs to add? I feel I am limited by Step 1 and average ECs

Thank you!

That list is fine. Top ranked medical school + good enough scores/H in IM + research will get you interviews at many programs. You have a number of safeties; you can/should only add programs in a desired location.

Hi! MS4 currently trying to finalize program list and would appreciate any suggestions! Looking for categorical IM at academic program, will likely pursue fellowship.

-Top 40ish MD state school in midwest
-Step 1 and 2CK = 250, taking CS late September
-Qualified for senior AOA, won't hear whether accepted until later this week
-Grades: Honors in all third year clerkships except OB and surgery, honors in medicine subI
-2 published papers from research prior to med school, small research project in med school without publication
-Several service and advocacy-related ECs/volunteer

Current list - Applying broadly, prefer to end up in bigger city in Midwest or Pacific Northwest.
Reaches: U Chicago, Northwestern, U Washington, OHSU, UPMC, Colorado, Michigan, UVA, Cleveland Clinic
Mid to lower-tier (I think): U Minnesota, U Wisconsin, Loyola, UIC, Rush, OSU, Case Western, U Indiana, Rush, U Vermont, Tufts, Sidney Kimmel, GW, Maine
And 8-10 community programs primarily in midwest and Pacific NW

Any other academic programs not on my list that are more mid-tier that I should consider including?? Struggling with getting a sense of which programs are more mid-tier and not reaches for me.

Thanks for any help!!

Reaches: UC, Northwestern, Washington, Michigan
Upper-mid tier targets: UPMC, OHSU, Colorado, UVA, Case, Jefferson
Mid-tier: the other programs

You will match with the list you have already. I would recommend a few more reaches (i.e. Wash U, Vanderbilt, UPenn) and a few more targets (Utah, Georgetown if you're applying to GW, Boston University if you're applying to Tufts). No need for community programs. You have a much better shot at ending up in the Midwest than Pacific NW, as you should not look to match at any program other than OHSU/Washington in the Pacific NW.

DO student
Step 1: taken, awaiting scores. Don't judge me on this. I had taken this as a last ditch effort to show residencies I could do better on this exam. Predicting 210s.
Comlex 1: 438
Step 2: 217
Comlex 2: 454

Class rank: Bottom quartile
Honors: HP in all, except for H in radiology
Research: 5 research publications (1 second author, 2 third author, 2 fourth author)
LORs should be solid

Do I have any hope for getting into an academic IM residency with my low scores? I still want to get the best training possible. Geography is not a problem, although I would prefer east coast and west coast.
Where would I be able to find resources/information on which programs I should apply to?
Any suggestions on how many total programs I should apply to? I will also be applying Family medicine as backup.
Thanks in advance!

Probably not. You can probably match at low tier academic residencies in IM, but certainly not on the coasts... I would suggest applying very broadly with a mix of academic/community programs. It's your choice whether to apply to FM as backup. You should match into community IM, but perhaps a strong FM medicine residency may be better than a bad IM residency.

M4 at average MD state school in midwest trying to figure out what programs to apply to. I may want to sub specialize in heme/onc.
Step 1: 225
Step 2 CK: 244
Step 2 CS: Pass
Honors only in family med and surgery 1
Pass in all others
Very good reviews on MSPEs from attendings

2 publications from undergrad, currently working on a research project but no publication before applications
I have done a lot of volunteering
No red flags or fails

I know that I am not going to be competitive for a top tier program, but what are some mid tier programs that would be good for me to apply to? I ideally would like to end up at an academic program, but not sure if this is possible with my scores.
Currently thinking Indiana, UW, medical college of wisconsin, Ohio state, University of Tennessee, Utah, Colorado, UMinnesota, Beaumont, Henry Ford, Umich, UToledo, UCinncinatti, Case Western, Loyola, Mayo (arizona), Rush, U of I, UChicago? Any thoughts?

PLEASE HELP I'M STRESSING

Last edited:
M4 at average MD state school in midwest trying to figure out what programs to apply to. I may want to sub specialize in heme/onc.
Step 1: 225
Step 2 CS: Pass
Honors only in family med and surgery 1
Pass in all others
Very good reviews on MSPEs from attendings

2 publications from undergrad, currently working on a research project but no publication before applications
I have done a lot of volunteering
No red flags or fails

I know that I am not going to be competitive for a top tier program, but what are some mid tier programs that would be good for me to apply to? I ideally would like to end up at an academic program, but not sure if this is possible with my scores.
Currently thinking Indiana, UW, medical college of wisconsin, Ohio state, University of Tennessee, Utah, Colorado, UMinnesota, Beaumont, Henry Ford, Umich, UToledo, UCinncinatti, Case Western, Loyola, Mayo (arizona), Rush, U of I, UChicago? Any thoughts?

PLEASE HELP I'M STRESSING
I think you could add reaches of Cleveland Clinic and University of Iowa (both of which are solid academic IM programs) and consider adding university of Nebraska (a bit less competitive and smaller, but still an academic center with the ability to end up on heme/onc).

Otherwise I think the list is very reasonable, with notes that I think Uchicago and Michigan are very much reaches.

Thank you!
I think between the school rank, step 2, and class rank you should be fine. I would personally remove Tufts and probably Wisconsin and add cornell, mt Sinai, Duke, and Stanford. Also not sure if Boston is just all the Boston programs but I would definitely add BIDMC (as well as Brigham and MGH, though those maybe a bit more of a stretch)

I thought step 1 still mattered the most (especially for competitive specialties)? Don't they screen you out if you have a low step 1?

You have to pass step 1, 2 ck, cs and 3 all on first try. As far as I am aware, if you fail any one of them you will be screened out in most academic fellowship programs. But beyond the initial screening process, it might still matter but definitely not a deciding factor.

Will be dual applying IM and surgical sub-spec. I really am not enjoying my aways as much as I thought I would and have always enjoyed medicine so will dual apply. Was curious what good acadmic programs exist in the NE that are reasonable for me? I really want to go to a heavy academic institution.

My Info:
Step 1: Low/Mid 230s
Step 2: Low/Mid 240s
Honors Medicine, Peds
HP OBGYN, Surg
>20 publications
>20 poster/podium presentations
research up the wazoooo
Good leadership
Good service experience

What are your thoughts everyone?
Was thinking of Boston and NYC since I love big cities. Thoughts?

MD/PhD student at a top 20-30 US MD school applying to categorical IM programs. I would love to go to an academic medical center and applying broadly. I'm more than happy to go to a midwest program if I can receive a good training.

Step 1: ~225
Step 2 CK: ~240
Passes in core rotations. MSPE pending but may have honored IM sub-I.
~5 First author pubs from PhD. >20 total presentations/posters, etc. Many awards/grants from PhD.
Good leadership
Good service
Good LORs
No red flags

I was thinking to apply to:
UMass, Jefferson, Louisville, Rochester, UT San Antonio, University of Toledo, ~2 community programs

Cincinnati, UIC, Kansas, Kentucky, MCW, Penn State, Loyola, Rush, UC Irvine, Loma Linda, George Washington, Temple, UMaryland, Rutgers NJMS, Tufts, UT Houston

Indiana University, UWisconsin, OSU, UMinnesota, UIowa, USC/LAC, UC Davis, UVA, BU, UNC, Wake Forest

Dream schools... (UT Southwestern, UChicago, UMichigan, Mayo, UCLA etc...)

What do y'all think about this list? Am I applying too few lower tier academic IM programs to make sure that I match? Should I apply to more community programs? Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
MD student from mid-tier midwest school.

Step 1: 247
Step 2: 270
AOA (+ top quartile)
Honors in IM, Pediatrics, OBGYN, Surgery, Neuro, Psych; HP in family med
Did sub-I in August, won't have my grade by the time eras goes out
Research: 2 national poster presentations, 1 regional poster presentation. 2 projects that are moving toward submission.
Letters should be pretty strong; great reviews on MSPE

My list so far:
Midwest: UChicago, NW, Rush, UIC, WashU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, U of Cincinnati, Ohio State, CWRU, Indiana, Vandy
East + South: Boston U, BIDMC, Penn, Yale, JHH, Duke, UNC, Emory, UAB, UTSW
West: Colorado, Washington, OHSU

A few q's/comments:
- Feeling a bit top-heavy on my list - mostly worried about my lack of research
- *most likely* looking to stay in the midwest so most concerned about those programs
- Also looking for suggestions of additional programs with a focus on medical education, so anything people can offer there is appreciated

MD/PhD student at a top 20-30 US MD school applying to categorical IM programs. I would love to go to an academic medical center and applying broadly. I'm more than happy to go to a midwest program if I can receive a good training.

~5 First author pubs from PhD. >20 total presentations/posters, etc. Many awards/grants from PhD.
Good leadership
Good service
Good LORs
No red flags

UMass, Jefferson, Louisville, Rochester, UT San Antonio, University of Toledo, ~2 community programs

Cincinnati, UIC, Kansas, Kentucky, MCW, Penn State, Loyola, Rush, UC Irvine, Loma Linda, George Washington, Temple, UMaryland, Rutgers NJMS, Tufts, UT Houston

Indiana University, UWisconsin, OSU, UMinnesota, UIowa, USC/LAC, UC Davis, UVA, BU, UNC, Wake Forest

What do y'all think about this list? Am I applying too few lower tier academic IM programs to make sure that I match? Should I apply to more community programs? Any advice would be appreciated!

Your step scores aren't going to pull your application up but you're aiming way too low. Places like UTSW, Wisconsin, UNC are all at least targets for someone with a PHD, pubs and an MD from a top 20-30. Can you high pass at your school? Is it H/P/F?

Your step scores aren't going to pull your application up but you're aiming way too low. Places like UTSW, Wisconsin, UNC are all at least targets for someone with a PHD, pubs and an MD from a top 20-30. Can you high pass at your school? Is it H/P/F?

Thank you for the reply! It is pretty difficult to get high pass/honors at my school. Basically 80% of the crowd receive a pass. I would love to go to the schools you mentioned for sure.

Feeling nervous after meeting with advisers... Now in panic mode
Top 10-20 US MD. Applying to categorical IM. Goal is GI fellowship (advanced endoscopy?)

Step 1: low 230's
Step 2 CK: low 240's
(CS in Oct/Nov)

H: Psych, outpt medicine, IM sub-I, GI elective
P: surgery
HP: everything else (including IM clerkship)

Research: 1x international conference presentation, 1x peer reviewed abstract, 3x co-author papers

Good service/leadership. Decent LOR's. MSPE w/ overall good reviews from attendings (Surgery review ironically is one of the best/strongest). No red flags.

List right now (alphabetical) based on the GI programs/advanced endoscopy programs I like:

Baylor, Boston, Brown, Case, Cedars-Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, Emory, Geisinger, Henry Ford, Mount Sinai, Indiana, JH, Maine, Mayo Arizona, Mayo Rochester, Northwestern, Georgetown, NYU, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers Robert, Thomas Jeff, Stony Brook, Temple, UChicago, UCincinnati, UColorado, UKentucky, UMass, UMich, UMinnesota, UNC, URochester, UT Huston, UTSW, UVA, UWisconsin, UPMC, Vandy, Virginia Commonwealth

Q's
**Is this list too much? Not enough? Too top-heavy for my stats? Appreciate any rec's to modify this list (Not a good standardized exam taker, hence the Step scores and pass in surgery and HP in everything else, but consistently getting 4.5 - 5 out of 5 w/ clinical performance on the ward)
**Undecided b/w academic vs. community based programs since I feel like w/ academic I get to do research (heavy basic science research background but no PhD) and thus may increase chance of matching into GI. But w/ community programs, I feel like I get more hands on opportunities. Will appreciate input

Last edited:
MD student at top 20
Step 1 - 250
Step 2 - 268
Grades - Honors in IM, FM, neuro, psych, OBGYN, EM, IM sub-I. High Pass in Surgery, Peds :(
Rank - dunno? Thought I was in top quartile based on advisor's comments but not AOA
Research - One first author pub, two posters
ECs - Substantial leadership experience, volunteering, interesting work history

Applying almost exclusively to PC track programs with a few categorical mixed in.

Reach: UPenn (dream program), BWH, MGH, JHH, Wash U
Target: Jefferson, BU, UPMC, Cambridge health alliance, BIDMC, Yale PC, UVA
Safety (if such a thing exists): Temple, George Washington, OHSU, U of Maryland, Brown, Hopkins Bayview

Is 18 programs too few based on my app? Looking at some spreadsheets of last year's applicants, folks far more competitive than me were applying upwards of 30. And does applying to mostly PC track programs, which are considerably smaller than categorical, have any bearing on number of apps I should be submitting? Worried the yield might be lower. Thanks all!!

MD student at top 20
Step 1 - 250
Step 2 - 268
Grades - Honors in IM, FM, neuro, psych, OBGYN, EM, IM sub-I. High Pass in Surgery, Peds :(
Rank - dunno? Thought I was in top quartile based on advisor's comments but not AOA

Applying almost exclusively to PC track programs with a few categorical mixed in.

Safety (if such a thing exists): Temple, George Washington, OHSU, U of Maryland, Brown, Hopkins Bayview

Is 18 programs too few based on my app? Looking at some spreadsheets of last year's applicants, folks far more competitive than me were applying upwards of 30. And does applying to mostly PC track programs, which are considerably smaller than categorical, have any bearing on number of apps I should be submitting? Worried the yield might be lower. Thanks all!!
Just curious, why are you applying to mostly PC tracks if you want to do GI?

Just curious, why are you applying to mostly PC tracks if you want to do GI?
That was a different poster right above me, similar posts though. Going into primary care, hopefully some health policy stuff too :)

Hi all,

4th year DO student set on pulmcrit. Interested in applying most heavily to categorical programs in the southeast, northwest and to a lesser extent the remainder of the west coast, northeast, and some midwest (large cities like Chicago).

Step 1/Step 2: 242/255
COMLEX 1/2: 595/641
Preclinical years were P/F.
COMATs (not sure if this matters): 110-115 IM, psych, surgery; 125+ FM, pediatrics, OBGYN
Honors: FM, psych, pediatrics, surgery; Pass: IM & OBGYN. Very lucky with evals which are almost perfect across the board.
Research: Project w/a couple other students but no pubs or abstracts from it.
ECs: Nothing substantial; I was pretty heavily invested in my hobbies (running/powerlifting) but doubt that matters much
IM department letter reportedly very strong. Other letters should be pretty good

I'm not sure how I didn't honor IM and am concerned that it's a red flag given my performance in other settings. Eval was literally perfect across the board and shelf was 87th %ile.

What I'm guessing are definite reaches: UW, OHSU, Case Western, Mayo AZ & Mayo FL, Cleveland Clinic, Emory
Others: UC-Irvine, UF-Gainesville, UF-Jacksonville, USF, VCU, VT, MUSC, USC-Greenville, LSU-Shreveport, UofAZ-Phoenix, UofAZ-Tuscon, Creighton, Univ. of Kentucky, SLU,

Also considering a few community programs like Virginia Mason (Seattle), a couple community programs in Portland

Are these reasonable considerations that won't make pulmcrit impossible? Any other programs in my regions of interest that I should consider with my stats? I'm guessing that I should apply to 35-45 programs in order to match a university program in the areas that I'd like to live.

I think you're probably fine but that list is rando AF.

You seem to want Penn or a Penn-adjacent place, something on the Acela line, a highly academic (and not well regarded in primary care) program in a crappy city in the midwest and one program in the PNW. Odd, but whatever, you do you. But be prepared to explain why you want OHSU or WashU given the rest of your list and app.

Also, your target and safety lists are essential equivalent in the "competitiveness" category.

I think you're probably fine but that list is rando AF.

You seem to want Penn or a Penn-adjacent place, something on the Acela line, a highly academic (and not well regarded in primary care) program in a crappy city in the midwest and one program in the PNW. Odd, but whatever, you do you. But be prepared to explain why you want OHSU or WashU given the rest of your list and app.

Also, your target and safety lists are essential equivalent in the "competitiveness" category.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah OHSU and WashU were added in attempt to bulk up my list of programs. Trying to stay on the East Coast, but have connections in Portland and St Louis. My advisor didn't have a ton to say about which programs had the strongest PC tracks, was really just going based on how the program curriculum was described on their websites. Besides Wash U, any other programs I should think about skipping or adding based on primary care training?

Would appreciate any help looking over my school list. Applying for IM from a mid-tier MD school in the Midwest. Would eventually like to do fellowship, either in GI or ID.

Step 1: 231
Step 2 CS: Pending

Clinical Grades: H in Peds, Psych, Ob/Gyn, Neuro; HP in IM (honors clinically, fell short on shelf), FM, Surgery, MICU Sub-I
Research: 1 accepted first-author publication; might be able to add 2 more 3rd/4th author publications as we anticipate submitting both this week. 3 national presentations.
LORs: Strong; chair letter, 2 clinical letters (including my school's pulm/CC fellowship director from ICU sub-I), letter from research mentor nationally regarded in field
AOA: No
ECs: Nothing super exciting; volunteered quite a bit at a free clinic in M1/M2 years, treasurer for student org M2 year, some other stuff.

List I'm thinking of so far:

USC, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UCSD, Cedars Sinai, Harbor UCLA, Loma Linda, Kaiser Santa Clara, OHSU, Utah, University of Illinois Chicago, Rush, Loyola, MCW, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, SLU, Indiana, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Tulane, Emory, BU, Tufts, Pittsburgh, UChicago, Beth Israel

I feel like I'm a very average applicant score wise and I don't have an H in anything IM related; was hoping for that with the MICU Sub-I and worked really hard but unfortunately got an HP. I think my LOR from it is still quite strong. I will not be shooting for top programs as I understand that I am not at all competitive for them. At most, might throw an application to UCLA or Stanford since I have ties to both areas but those would just be dream schools and I would not be expecting anything from them. Would appreciate any input as to whether I'm applying too top heavy for my pedigree. Thanks.

Would appreciate any help looking over my school list. Applying for IM from a mid-tier MD school in the Midwest. Would eventually like to do fellowship, either in GI or ID.

Clinical Grades: H in Peds, Psych, Ob/Gyn, Neuro; HP in IM (honors clinically, fell short on shelf), FM, Surgery, MICU Sub-I
Research: 1 accepted first-author publication; might be able to add 2 more 3rd/4th author publications as we anticipate submitting both this week. 3 national presentations.
LORs: Strong; chair letter, 2 clinical letters (including my school's pulm/CC fellowship director from ICU sub-I), letter from research mentor nationally regarded in field
ECs: Nothing super exciting; volunteered quite a bit at a free clinic in M1/M2 years, treasurer for student org M2 year, some other stuff.

USC, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UCSD, Cedars Sinai, Harbor UCLA, Loma Linda, Kaiser Santa Clara, OHSU, Utah, University of Illinois Chicago, Rush, Loyola, MCW, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, SLU, Indiana, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Case Western, Cleveland Clinic, Tulane, Emory, BU, Tufts, Pittsburgh, UChicago, Beth Israel

I feel like I'm a very average applicant score wise and I don't have an H in anything IM related; was hoping for that with the MICU Sub-I and worked really hard but unfortunately got an HP. I think my LOR from it is still quite strong. I will not be shooting for top programs as I understand that I am not at all competitive for them. At most, might throw an application to UCLA or Stanford since I have ties to both areas but those would just be dream schools and I would not be expecting anything from them. Would appreciate any input as to whether I'm applying too top heavy for my pedigree. Thanks.
You should get more than enough invites from that list. You could add Olive View and Kaiser LA as well as CPMC and SCVMC for CA programs if you're looking to buff the list.

You should get more than enough invites from that list. You could add Olive View and Kaiser LA as well as CPMC and SCVMC for CA programs if you're looking to buff the list.

Hey @gutonc

Can you provide your opinion on my story below please?
Will be dual applying IM and surgical sub-spec. I really am not enjoying my aways as much as I thought I would and have always enjoyed medicine so will dual apply. Was curious what good acadmic programs exist in the NE that are reasonable for me? I really want to go to a heavy academic institution.

My Info:
Step 2: Low 240s
Honors Medicine, Peds
HP OBGYN, Surg
>20 publications
research up the wazoooo
Good leadership
Good service experience

Was thinking of Boston and NYC since I love big cities and have family in both

Hey @gutonc

Can you provide your opinion on my story below please?

My Info:
Step 2: Low 240s
Honors Medicine, Peds
HP OBGYN, Surg
>20 publications
research up the wazoooo
Good leadership
Good service experience

Was thinking of Boston and NYC since I love big cities and have family in both
Pick a specialty and go all in.

Hi! Cue pre-ERAS submission panic
Posted a few months ago but wanted to update the thread with my step 2 score etc...

4th year DO student from well-respected DO school in the NE, combined DO/MS degree
Want to do academic medicine and heme/onc
Step 1/Level 1 - 236/632
Step 2/Level 2 - 243/695
ECs: Lots of research and teaching medical students during masters program
Pubs: 1 published paper (first author), 2 submitted papers (one first author), 13 poster presentations, 5 oral presentations
LORs: chair, strong letter from away rotation, ICU director from third year, strong research letter as 4th
NE preference - applied to a handful of very high reaches just for the heck of it

Applying to 90 programs, mostly concerned about having enough safeties

Reach/High Target: Rochester, Stony Brook, Albany, Upstate,Georgetown, Montefiore, GW, BU, CCF, Rutgers NJ, Rutgers RWJ, Penn State, Temple, Uconn, Umass, UVM, Sinai SLR, Northwell, VCU, Dartmouth, Indiana - just to name a few
Community/"safeties??": Lenox Hill, Albert Einstein Philly, PCOM, LECOM, Lehigh, Geisenger, NUMC, Winthrop, Baystate, Hackensack, Westchester, Maine, Brookhaven, Maimo

Thoughts? Am I missing "safeties?"

Top 10-20 US MD. Applying to categorical IM. Goal is GI fellowship (advanced endoscopy?)

(CS in Oct/Nov)

Research: 1x international conference presentation, 1x peer reviewed abstract, 3x co-author papers

Good service/leadership. Decent LOR's. MSPE w/ overall good reviews from attendings (Surgery review ironically is one of the best/strongest). No red flags.

List right now (alphabetical) based on the GI programs/advanced endoscopy programs I like:

Baylor, Boston, Brown, Case, Cedars-Sinai, Cleveland Clinic, Duke, Emory, Geisinger, Henry Ford, Mount Sinai, Indiana, JH, Maine, Mayo Arizona, Mayo Rochester, Northwestern, Georgetown, NYU, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers Robert, Thomas Jeff, Stony Brook, Temple, UChicago, UCincinnati, UColorado, UKentucky, UMass, UMich, UMinnesota, UNC, URochester, UT Huston, UTSW, UVA, UWisconsin, UPMC, Vandy, Virginia Commonwealth

Q's
**Is this list too much? Not enough? Too top-heavy for my stats? Appreciate any rec's to modify this list (Not a good standardized exam taker, hence the Step scores and pass in surgery and HP in everything else, but consistently getting 4.5 - 5 out of 5 w/ clinical performance on the ward)
**Undecided b/w academic vs. community based programs since I feel like w/ academic I get to do research (heavy basic science research background but no PhD) and thus may increase chance of matching into GI. But w/ community programs, I feel like I get more hands on opportunities. Will appreciate input
@gutonc Would love to hear your input/rec :giggle:

4th year D.O. student applying to IM residency. WAMC.

Step 1: 233
Level 1: 642
Step 2 CK: 251
Level 2 CE: 702
Level 2 PE: passed first attempt

All A's in 3rd year rotations (including IM) except for 2 B's due to poor shelf exam scores. (passed all shelf exams on the first try, however)

Not sure on my class rank but would estimate lower first quartile or upper second quartile

2 research projects with one published in a sports medicine journal
Minimal other ECs during medical school

I am possibly interested in a GI fellowship but know this is very competitive, especially for DOs. Ideally I would end up at the best university program I can to keep my options open. WAMC for my current list. Do I have a good number of safety programs and programs I have a decent shot at? I know I have some reach programs which is fine.

Current list:
University of Minnesota
Mayo Clinic
Hennepin County Medical Center
Abbott Northwestern
University of Iowa
Mercy Des Moines
University of Iowa Des Moines
University of Nebraska
University of Missouri
St. Louis University
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush University
University of Illinois Chicago
Loyola University
University of Chicago Northshore
Indiana University
University of Cincinnati
Case Western Metrohealth
Case Western University Hospital
Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State University
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky
Wake Forest
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Connecticut
Brown University
Virginia Commonwealth University
University of Kansas
University of Colorado
West Virginia University
Dartmouth
UPMC
Allegheny General

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

@gutonc I would love to hear your opinion as well. Thanks!

Hey... as a change-of-pace from the 240 -250+ Step 1 posts, I'll throw this one out there.

School: Top 40 MD
Step 1: 199 ( Ouch! This is my problem, I just sucked that day and I own it with no excuses)
Step 2: 250 ( changed my study habits and included way more practice tests)
Step 2 CS: TBD
Class rank: 3rd quartile
AOA: no
Grades: all P and HP, except IM H,
Research/Pubs - 1 paper - (2nd)
LOR: 4 very good letters that reflect my overall performance fairly.

So I blew Step 1 and need to get my list to reflect that reality. If I get screened out, no one will see the improved Step 2. I would like to do hospitalist work and I am not thinking about seeking fellowship opportunities ( at this time) I considered FM with my low S1 score, but I really want to concentrate on IM and I don't want to lie ( if I get any interviews) about wanting FM, because I don't. I would like to stay in the mid-west or south, and have identified about 40 community or community/academic- affiliated programs I will apply to. My question: Any suggestions for a few "reach" programs ( I know... they're all reaches with that S1)that won't auto filter my app and where I may have a reasonable shot at getting an interview? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey... as a change-of-pace from the 240 -250+ Step 1 posts, I'll throw this one out there.

Step 1: 199 ( Ouch! This is my problem, I just sucked that day and I own it with no excuses)

So I blew Step 1 and need to get my list to reflect that reality. If I get screened out, no one will see the improved Step 2. I would like to do hospitalist work and I am not thinking about seeking fellowship opportunities ( at this time) I considered FM with my low S1 score, but I really want to concentrate on IM and I don't want to lie ( if I get any interviews) about wanting FM, because I don't. I would like to stay in the mid-west or south, and have identified about 40 community or community/academic- affiliated programs I will apply to. My question: Any suggestions for a few "reach" programs ( I know... they're all reaches with that S1)that won't auto filter my app and where I may have a reasonable shot at getting an interview? Thanks in advance.

Hey man,

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say congrats on the score increase! I do hope some programs use the "OR" filter for minimums on step 1/2. I posted an incomplete list here earlier but happy to share my full list with you if you'd like. I'm applying to ~60 programs, 30 target, 30 reach. It sucks because I'm not quite sure if a reach is truly a reach if they use that beloved "OR" filter haha. Good luck!

Last edited:
MD student at top 20
Step 1 - 250
Step 2 - 268

I think you have a real shot at the top places. You have the scores to do PC at those top academic PC places, and for all the places like MGH/BWH/UPenn the PC tracks are smaller and so admins really spend time looking at the other experiences that you use to describe yourself, so I think it’ll come down to if your leadership and other experiences suggest you have potential to be a health policy leader (your area of interest). I don’t think you need to apply to anymore.

I’m likely a day late with this, but do want to concur that is a really random list of PC programs...safer maybe in that some are well regarded and other aren’t, but really that is a list with a mix of clinical vs academic vs advocacy heavy PC programs, so just pay close attention on interview days so you pick what’s right for your interests. There is probably more variety in PC programs, in my experience, than in Categorical programs.

Some posts may have been replied to already.

My Info:
Step 2: Low/Mid 240s
Honors Medicine, Peds
HP OBGYN, Surg
>20 publications
research up the wazoooo
Good leadership
Good service experience

Was thinking of Boston and NYC since I love big cities. Thoughts?

You really should pick one and go all in. If your research is in a surgical field, prepare to do a lot of explaining on interviews. Medicine departments don't talk to surgery departments at other institutions but I worry applying to IM/surgical subspecialty at same institution will set you back as the medicine department could very easily check in with their surgical counterparts.

Are you MD (I assume so)? AOA (I assume not)? What about letters? Difficult to get both strong surgical and medicine letters (although for full disclosure one of my letter writers was department chair of a surgery department).

If you are MD with AOA, most NE programs are open to you. At this moment, I would imagine upper-mid tier programs to be your targets and "reach" programs to be a 50/50, due to inconsistencies in your application. No one wants to be thought of as second fiddle.

Good leadership
Good service
Good LORs
No red flags

You are selling yourself too short. Great medical school + MD/PhD and research will get you a long way. Mid to upper-mid tier programs may see your application and think "he/she is applying to us because board scores and clinical grades may not be stellar for top 20 programs... we should interview him/her because there is a chance we may end up with this applicant."

100% no need for community programs. Also, if you are serious in a research career, this opens up more options as well.

Reach: any number of your top 20 programs. Based on your geography, I would focus on the Boston programs, Penn, Hopkinsa, UTSW, UC/NW, Michigan, UCLA, Duke, Vanderbilt (if you are willing to go to Kentucky), Wash U, Emory

Targets: BU, Tufts, Jefferson, Rochester, Cinci, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Mayo, Iowa, UVA, UNC, UMD. Would suggest you add some Ohio programs (Case, CCF, OSU) as they are better than some of the Indiana/Illinois programs

Safeties: everything else (i.e. Wake, Temple, Rutgers, Houston, Kansas, Kentucky, MCW, non-UC/NW Chicago programs, etc).

MD student from mid-tier midwest school.

Step 1: 247
Step 2: 270
AOA (+ top quartile)
Honors in IM, Pediatrics, OBGYN, Surgery, Neuro, Psych; HP in family med
Did sub-I in August, won't have my grade by the time eras goes out
Research: 2 national poster presentations, 1 regional poster presentation. 2 projects that are moving toward submission.
Letters should be pretty strong; great reviews on MSPE

My list so far:
Midwest: UChicago, NW, Rush, UIC, WashU, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, U of Cincinnati, Ohio State, CWRU, Indiana, Vandy
East + South: Boston U, BIDMC, Penn, Yale, JHH, Duke, UNC, Emory, UAB, UTSW
West: Colorado, Washington, OHSU

A few q's/comments:
- Feeling a bit top-heavy on my list - mostly worried about my lack of research
- *most likely* looking to stay in the midwest so most concerned about those programs
- Also looking for suggestions of additional programs with a focus on medical education, so anything people can offer there is appreciated

Your list is completely fine. You'll have a lot of IVs (60/40 from top 20) and will likely match in that range. I had a similar application with better board scores and all honors in clinical rotations but close to zilch research and had a comfortable number of interviews at top 20 programs. Other programs to consider/add are Mayo, Jefferson (backup to Penn), Loyola (surprisingly left off of Chicago list), Utah.

(CS in Oct/Nov)

Q's

Your list is fine. It's never too much as long as you are getting solid advice. Your target should be the strongest IM program possible, as GI is competitive (no guarantee you will match at the same institution) and your interests may change during residency. That's also what you should say on your interview day, "I am interested in GI/advanced endoscopy, but what I am hoping to accomplish in the next 3 years is to be the strongest IM doctor I can possibly be and your program provides me with that.) With that being said, your chances at top 20 are 50/50 at best, as your school reputation and some research are helpful, the average board scores, lack of AOA, and non-first author research will become apparent at research-heavy institutions on interview day. You should apply to all the top programs but be prepared to match at upper-mid tier programs.

Don't apply to community programs.

Hi all,

4th year DO student set on pulmcrit. Interested in applying most heavily to categorical programs in the southeast, northwest and to a lesser extent the remainder of the west coast, northeast, and some midwest (large cities like Chicago).

Step 1/Step 2: 242/255
COMLEX 1/2: 595/641
Preclinical years were P/F.
COMATs (not sure if this matters): 110-115 IM, psych, surgery; 125+ FM, pediatrics, OBGYN
Honors: FM, psych, pediatrics, surgery; Pass: IM & OBGYN. Very lucky with evals which are almost perfect across the board.
Research: Project w/a couple other students but no pubs or abstracts from it.
ECs: Nothing substantial; I was pretty heavily invested in my hobbies (running/powerlifting) but doubt that matters much
IM department letter reportedly very strong. Other letters should be pretty good

I'm not sure how I didn't honor IM and am concerned that it's a red flag given my performance in other settings. Eval was literally perfect across the board and shelf was 87th %ile.

What I'm guessing are definite reaches: UW, OHSU, Case Western, Mayo AZ & Mayo FL, Cleveland Clinic, Emory
Others: UC-Irvine, UF-Gainesville, UF-Jacksonville, USF, VCU, VT, MUSC, USC-Greenville, LSU-Shreveport, UofAZ-Phoenix, UofAZ-Tuscon, Creighton, Univ. of Kentucky, SLU,

Also considering a few community programs like Virginia Mason (Seattle), a couple community programs in Portland

Are these reasonable considerations that won't make pulmcrit impossible? Any other programs in my regions of interest that I should consider with my stats? I'm guessing that I should apply to 35-45 programs in order to match a university program in the areas that I'd like to live.

Your perception of "reaches" are misguided. I don't know as much about the DO scene, but I would venture given your stats:

Impossible: UW, OHSU,
Reach: Case, CCF, USF, MUSC, Mayo satellites
Realistic: most of the others
Safeties: I cannot help you here

Your sense of where you are is spot on. Your list is also very reasonable and I think you'll match if you went with it.

With that being said, reach schools are reach for a reason and you should not hesitate to apply (i.e. pick about 5-7 dream programs). Based on your list, they can be along the lines of UCLA (no point applying to Stanford, sorry), UChicago, BID, and some combination of Vandy/WashU/UW/Michigan. I would also recommend adding Mayo, Colorado as well to buff up your target programs.

You should match into IM (I think). It would be odd for 199 coming from a top medical school, so I think you'll get a chance to explain during interviews. Top20 are out unfortunately.

It would be helpful to get a sense of your geographical preference.

Reaches
Northeast/midAtlantic: BU, Tufts, Monte/Hofstra/Rutgers, Jefferson, UMD
South: UNC, Wake, MUSC, Emory, UAB
Midwest: Case, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc etc

Targets
Rutgers satellites, non-Penn/Jefferson Philly programs, the DC programs, CCF, non-UC/NW Chicago programs, etc. etc.

I could go on but I hope you get my drift.

Reactions: 3 users
You really should pick one and go all in. If your research is in a surgical field, prepare to do a lot of explaining on interviews. Medicine departments don't talk to surgery departments at other institutions but I worry applying to IM/surgical subspecialty at same institution will set you back as the medicine department could very easily check in with their surgical counterparts.

Are you MD (I assume so)? AOA (I assume not)? What about letters? Difficult to get both strong surgical and medicine letters (although for full disclosure one of my letter writers was department chair of a surgery department).

If you are MD with AOA, most NE programs are open to you. At this moment, I would imagine upper-mid tier programs to be your targets and "reach" programs to be a 50/50, due to inconsistencies in your application. No one wants to be thought of as second fiddle.

Thanks for the response!

I am an MD and probably not going to be AOA. I'm preparing to answer any questions that come my way in the most genuine way possible.

I'm curious, what programs do you think are upper-mid tiers or reaches?

Hello all,
4th year DO student here; looking to stay in the southeast/Midwest (Tenn, IN, KY, Alabama, FL, Ohio, SC, NC, WV). Applying categorical IM
Career goals: Unclear. I'd be fine with just being hospitalist but I'd also like to go somewhere that would give me opportunities for fellowship.
Step 1/2: 227/244
COMLEX 1/2: 539/547 :vomit:
COMLEX PE: Pending
Good clinical grades, GPA ~92. Strong LOR's from IM Chair, OBGYN PD at hub site, Gen surg, another IM, and Peds. MSEP has strong preceptor comments.
Research: zilch in med school. Some in undergrad
Good volunteer/leadership in med school.

No red flags on app.

Some of my list just off the top of my head (56 total):
Slew of community programs in Ohio, KY, NC, SC, Indiana, Bama.
Universities: Louisville, Kentucky, All Tennessee branches sans Nashville, ETSU, IU, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Wright State, Marshall, WVU, Wake Forest (lol), UF Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Pensacola. South Alabama. Mizzou in Columbia.

Qs:
Did I apply to enough places? Anywhere really out of the question? Trying to stay in Tennessee or Kentucky ideally.

I understand I'm not the strongest applicant but you all can be honest with me. I appreciate any input . Thank you.

Last edited:
Med school rank: Non-US FMG (Need J1)
USMLE Step 1: 270+
USMLE Step 2: 270+
USMLE Step 2 CS: Pass
Year of graduation: 2019
Class rank: Top quartile
USCE: 3 sub-Is in medicine (high pass, honors, honors), 1+ yr research experience in North America
Research: 20+ PubMed-indexed original research papers (4 first authors)
LOR: All US (1 research mentor + 3 US physicians)

WAMC at top 25 IM programs?

Med school rank: Non-US FMG (Need J1)
USMLE Step 1: 270+
USMLE Step 2: 270+
USMLE Step 2 CS: Pass
Year of graduation: 2019
Class rank: Top quartile
USCE: 3 sub-Is in medicine (high pass, honors, honors), 1+ yr research experience in North America
Research: 20+ PubMed-indexed original research papers (4 first authors)
LOR: All US (1 research mentor + 3 US physicians)

WAMC at top 25 IM programs?

Very good. Congratulations on a stellar application. No program is out of reach, provided you are a normal person.

My school is one of those unfortunate ones who gives out few honors on Clerkships. I’ve gotten really good narrative evaluations so far but my grades don’t line up with comments. For IM, particularly at the top tier places, will this hurt me that much as long as the rest of my application is up to snuff? Finishing IM now and I think I have a good chance at honors on this one but not sure about most of the rest of them (I’m halfway through). I’m pretty geographically limited otherwise I would not be as concerned.

Just wanted to get some recommendations on my application

DO school in the Midwest, third quartile
Step 1: 208; Level 1: 485
Step 2: 256; Level 2: 634
Passes in all M3 clerkships, no honors.
I'm guessing my LORs will be relatively average.
One submitted publication as 3rd author, some research between M1/M2 with no pubs.
Personal Statement is pretty meh, but I'm involved in music/art so I tried to use that as a unique twist since my app is otherwise unremarkable.

I'd like to go to an academic program or strong community program, applied to basically all mid/low tier academic programs in the Midwest. I would prefer to be in a larger city because I like to work with the urban underserved population. WAMC at matching mid/low tier academic or strong community basically anywhere in the country? I really don't know how much my Step/Level 2 can make up for my really bad Step 1 and average application.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to get some recommendations on my application

DO school in the Midwest, third quartile
Step 1: 208; Level 1: 485
Step 2: 256; Level 2: 634
Passes in all M3 clerkships, no honors.
I'm guessing my LORs will be relatively average.
One submitted publication as 3rd author, some research between M1/M2 with no pubs.
Personal Statement is pretty meh, but I'm involved in music/art so I tried to use that as a unique twist since my app is otherwise unremarkable.

I'd like to go to an academic program or strong community program, applied to basically all mid/low tier academic programs in the Midwest. I would prefer to be in a larger city because I like to work with the urban underserved population. WAMC at matching mid/low tier academic or strong community basically anywhere in the country? I really don't know how much my Step/Level 2 can make up for my really bad Step 1 and average application.

A good step 2 does not 'make up' for a bad step 1 unfortunately. Step scores are pretty much only reserved for determining who gets an interview invite. In the real world, nobody cares about how high or low you scored on a standardized test. You are correct in aiming for low tier academic and community programs. Apply broadly and find out. Good luck.