This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Med School: Mid-tier MD
Step 1: 263
Step 2: 264
Clerkship grades: H 3/7 core clerkships, NH 2/7 (including IM, P 2/7. Honored IM sub-I and all other fourth year grades.
Class rank: 2nd Quartile
Research: Pending case report ... not much otherwise.
AOA: No
Gold Humanism: No
ECs: Mentoring, volunteer/community service work, one leadership position
Red flags: No
Career goals: Possibly crit care vs cards vs heme/onc

Reach:
UTSW
Duke
Baylor
Vanderbilt
Emory
Northwestern
WashU

Target:
Dartmouth
University of Florida
University of Miami
Brown
Oregon Health Science University
UNC University of Virginia Medical Center
UTMB
UTH
University of Tennessee
Wake Forest
UF - Jacksonville
Baylor Scott White
Baylor University Medical Center
Mayo - Jacksonville

Safety:
Methodist Hospital Houston
Rush
George Washington University
UMKC
Loyola

I have no idea what I'm doing. I based this off the Research Productivity ranking on Doximity. Any help is appreciated.
Emory Baylor and NW would be targets with more research otherwise great list. Also the last four of ur targets and UTennessee are safeties

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Mayo AZ not a reach at all. Target
I’ve been seeing a lot of good applicants placing Mayo az and Mayo fl as reaches. I’m not sure where this came from. They’re decent programs but nowhere near the real Mayo

I’ve been seeing a lot of good applicants placing Mayo az and Mayo fl as reaches. I’m not sure where this came from. They’re decent programs but nowhere near the real Mayo

Pharm rep lunches sponsored by the good people of the Mayo Clinic :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am applying to Internal Medicine soon and am picking which schools to signal and apply to. I am confident I will match but am trying to get into the best possible program. Can you please help me decide how competitive I am and what schools/tier of schools I should apply to?

Here are my stats:

Step 1: 234
Step 2: 255

OBGYN: High Pass
Peds: High Pass
Psych: Pass
Surgery: High Pass
Family Med: Honors
IM: High Pass
Sub I in IM: Honors

2nd Tertile (like 2nd or 3rd Quartile)

Currently US MD senior coming from a mid-tier program.
Masters in Science.
I am confident my letters are pretty strong as I knew the writers very well.
2 away rotations before I apply.
I took a gap year where I did research and community service so probably have an above average amount of research and volunteer work.
3 publications (1 paper and 2 abstracts, 1 abstract was presented at a conference) and 2 currently submitted papers.
Average amount of work experience.

Considering:
NYU
University of Chicago
Icahn School of Medicine
Brown
Cornell
UNC
Albert Einstein Montefiore (Moses and Weiler)
Columbia
UCLA
Stanford
University of Pennsylvania
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Southern California
Georgetown
University of Washington
The George Washington University
Emory
Dartmouth
University of California San Diego
and more...

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I am applying to Internal Medicine soon and am picking which schools to signal and apply to. I am confident I will match but am trying to get into the best possible program. Can you please help me decide how competitive I am and what schools/tier of schools I should apply to?

Here are my stats:

Step 1: 234
Step 2: 255

OBGYN: High Pass
Peds: High Pass
Psych: Pass
Surgery: High Pass
Family Med: Honors
IM: High Pass
Sub I in IM: Honors

2nd Tertile (like 2nd or 3rd Quartile)

Currently US MD senior coming from a mid-tier program.
Masters in Science.
I am confident my letters are pretty strong as I knew the writers very well.
2 away rotations before I apply.
I took a gap year where I did research and community service so probably have an above average amount of research and volunteer work.
3 publications (1 paper and 2 abstracts, 1 abstract was presented at a conference) and 2 currently submitted papers.
Average amount of work experience.

Considering:
NYU
University of Chicago
Icahn School of Medicine
Brown
Cornell
UNC
Albert Einstein Montefiore (Moses and Weiler)
Columbia
UCLA
Stanford
University of Pennsylvania
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Southern California
Georgetown
University of Washington
The George Washington University
Emory
Dartmouth
University of California San Diego
and more...

Thanks!
Kind of a random list with mostly "grandma programs" and a few that seem to be out of nowhere. What does the "and more" list look like?

Kind of a random list with mostly "grandma programs" and a few that seem to be out of nowhere. What does the "and more" list look like?
Still working on my list, thats kind of the point of my post, I will be applying broadly though.

Any regional preferences? Yours are so all over the place it's hard to tell.
Open to anywhere. Strongets preferences are Midwest (Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.), Northeast (NY, New England, DC, NC), Im ok with West Coast and respected Southern programs (e.g. Vanderbilt, Emory, etc.)

Random ERAS question. When listing our publications- should we list the title as it is written on the journal article itself or should we follow a certain style? For example- the title of my case report in one journal is listed in all caps but the title of one of my other publications is in APA format where only the first letter of the first word in the title is capitalized. Should I just stick to one format regardless? Sorry if these are dumb questions the anxiety prior to submission is peaking and I don't want to make stupid mistakes or come off as not organized.

Open to anywhere. Strongets preferences are Midwest (Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.), Northeast (NY, New England, DC, NC), Im ok with West Coast and respected Southern programs (e.g. Vanderbilt, Emory, etc.)
Targets: Brown ,Dartmouth ,UNC (borderline reach) ,UVA, BU (borderline reach),Tufts ,Georgetown ,CCF ,Ohio State, Monte, Rochester , Rush,Wake Forest, UMaryland, Hopkins (Bayview), Jeff, Temple, GW, UCI, USC, UCSD, MCW

Reaches: NYU, Northwestern, Cornell, Vandy, Emory, Stanford, UPenn, Columbia, Sinai, UChicago, UCLA (possible high target), UW

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably just overreacting but is it common to not have interviews yet if you've applied to pretty much all academic programs? Just noticing on reddit and the IM discord people getting interviews already.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably just overreacting but is it common to not have interviews yet if you've applied to pretty much all academic programs? Just noticing on reddit and the IM discord people getting interviews already.
Yeah a lot of mine are from small community programs that are safeties. I got 1 academic IM (low tier probably, idk for sure), but you're fine. Give it a few more weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Im a good example of this. Applied to only academic programs many of them very competitive programs and didnt get my first interview for like 2-3 weeks after submitting. I basically had a mental breakdown. Ended up with 13 invites at the end and matched my #3. You will be more than fine. Most DO students in your class arent applying to the caliber of schools you applied to so give it time. They will get a ton of invites up front because most DO applicants get community invites. Hang in there and just be patient-academic programs take a bit longer

Same
Im a good example of this. Applied to only academic programs many of them very competitive programs and didnt get my first interview for like 2-3 weeks after submitting. I basically had a mental breakdown. Ended up with 13 invites at the end and matched my #3. You will be more than fine. Most DO students in your class arent applying to the caliber of schools you applied to so give it time. They will get a ton of invites up front because most DO applicants get community invites. Hang in there and just be patient-academic programs take a bit longer
How many places did you apply to? Did u get rejected from places ypu thought were safeties?

Same

How many places did you apply to? Did u get rejected from places ypu thought were safeties?
I applied to 63. Got invites from places I never would have thought I would (Yale and Vanderbilt) and rejected from places I thought i was a shoe-in (Medical College of Georgia, U of South Carolina, Carilion Clinic at VTech, UConn, VCU etc)

Med school rank: Very Low Tier US MD
M1-M2: "Top 10% Reward"
USMLE Step 1: Pass
USMLE Step 2: 260+ / 90th percentile+
Class rank: Top Quintile
AOA: Yes
Honors: All 3rd year rotations (Surgery, Psych, Peds, IM, ObGyn, Neuro, Ambulatory), the Shelf cutoff isn't super high tbf
Research: 1 pub, 2 posters
LOR: Seem alright, the writers really liked me and sold me well but the writers themselves don't have much name recognition

Looking at top tier IM programs in the Northeast (Columbia and the like)

Took both Steps back to back, currently in a MPH between 3rd and 4th year.

Last edited:
Med school rank: Very Low Tier US MD
USMLE Step 1: Pass
USMLE Step 2: 260+ / 90th percentile+
Class rank: Top Quintile
Honors: All 3rd year rotations (Surgery, Psych, Peds, IM, ObGyn, Neuro, Ambulatory), the Shelf cutoff isn't super high tbf
Research: 1 pub, 2 posters
LOR: Seem alright, the writers really liked me and sold me well but the writers themselves don't have much name recognition

Looking at top tier IM programs in the Northeast (Columbia and the like)

Took both Steps back to back, currently in a MPH between 3rd and 4th year.
Why not try to get 3 or 4 more pubs to really solidify your chances at a top program?

If you are on a gap year, should definitely be able to get out 3 pubs

Why not try to get 3 or 4 more pubs to really solidify your chances at a top program?

If you are on a gap year, should definitely be able to get out 3 pubs
That'd certainly help, I wish I wasn't ass at doing research (mostly just getting it going) but I have no excuse for next year.

That'd certainly help, I wish I wasn't ass at doing research (mostly just getting it going) but I have no excuse for next year.
I believe that even one or two more would really help. Your profile looks great as it is, just think that one to two more could maybe even make you somewhat competitive for top 10 programs

Hi I’m applying in the upcoming cycle and I know it’s still early but thinking about residency apps is killing me inside lol.

Med School: Top 10

Step 1: pass
Step 2: not taken, maybe low-mid 260s based on step 1

Research:
3 pubs, all IM (mid tier second author, high tier middle author, mid tier third author)
1 mid tier first author in review
11 posters/abstracts all IM

Quartile: prob 3rd, maybe 2nd
Grades: 3 honors, 2 near honors, 3 high pass
Sub I: not done yet, I feel good about it tho!!!

AOA: no
GHHS: no

Is my home program (top 10 IM program) in reach despite the grades/quartile?

Are these reasonable target schools?
Baylor
Cornell
Yale
BU
UCSD
Case Western
Tufts
Brown
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB

Are these good reaches?
Duke
UMich
UTSW
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UChicago
UPenn
Emory
MGH
Brigham

I’m looking to add 10-15 more programs so please let me know other programs I should consider—looking for a really positive culture, great camaraderie, decent fellowship match. Mainly looking to live in a big city, or a charming smaller city. Not interested in rural programs.

Hi I’m applying in the upcoming cycle and I know it’s still early but thinking about residency apps is killing me inside lol.

Research:
3 pubs, all IM (mid tier second author, high tier middle author, mid tier third author)

Baylor
Cornell
Yale
BU
UCSD
Case Western
Tufts
Brown
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB

Are these good reaches?
Duke
UMich
UTSW
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UChicago
UPenn
Emory
MGH
Brigham

I’m looking to add 10-15 more programs so please let me know other programs I should consider—looking for a really positive culture, great camaraderie, decent fellowship match. Mainly looking to live in a big city, or a charming smaller city. Not interested in rural programs.
Honestly really hard to gauge without a Step 2 score. Based on med school and pubs seems like youre on the right track to match within the T25. If you score 260+ on CK id say apply to the top 40 programs and see where you land. regardless of anything Duke MGH BWH HUP UCSF will be reaches but possible depending on S2 score

Last edited:

Research:

Baylor
Cornell
Yale
BU
UCSD
Case Western
Tufts
Brown
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
UTMB

Are these good reaches?
Duke
UMich
UTSW
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UChicago
UPenn
Emory
MGH
Brigham

Did you honor your medicine rotation ? Basically do solid on your subI rotation with good LOR and would favor taking your step 2 earlier in the year with good score and you should be in decent shape for some of those reaches. UTMB and UTSA should be backup programs honestly (looks like you're a Texan then)

Last edited:
Early but for next cycle.

Med School: low tier east coast MD
Step 1: Pass
Step 2: 26X
Clerkship grades: All honors
Class rank: Top Quartile
Research: 4-5 abstracts and posters, no journal pubs (tryna milk some case reports before sept)
Gold Humanism: Yes
ECs: substantial volunteer/community service work, leadership positions, mentoring, tutoring, interesting background and jobs

Looking at top tier IM programs in East coast cities

BIDMS
BU
UPenn
Jeff
Columbia
Mt Sinai
Cornell
NYU

Etc

Thanks!
Honestly you have no restrictions your app is excellent. Only thing a little weak is your scholarship and med school tier. I would say youll get a solid number of T25 interviews. You may get some T10 interviews its tough to say and Big 4 is tough no matter who you are. Apply to the T40 places in your desired geo preference and see where you land. Try and publish something if you can thatll bolster your app for the tippy top places

Honestly you have no restrictions your app is excellent. Only thing a little weak is your scholarship and med school tier. I would say youll get a solid number of T25 interviews. You may get some T10 interviews its tough to say and Big 4 is tough no matter who you are. Apply to the T40 places in your desired geo preference and see where you land. Try and publish something if you can thatll bolster your app for the tippy top places

Thanks for the advice, will definitely try and bolster my app further.

Of the programs I listed, which count as being T10 or T25 or T40? I know rankings and tiers for the most part are a bunch of hogwash, but trying to figure out what counts as what so I can have a diverse portfolio of places to apply to

Of the programs I listed, which count as being T10 or T25 or T40? I know rankings and tiers for the most part are a bunch of hogwash, but trying to figure out what counts as what so I can have a diverse portfolio of places to apply to

UPenn/Colombia are firm top 10 level programs. BIDMC/Cornell/Mt Sinai are top 10-25 programs. People nowadays probably have NYU in their top 25. BU is outside of top 25 looking in

Ill add more for you with ur geo pref in mind

Big 4
Hopkins
Mass Gen
Brigham

T10
UPenn
Columbia
Duke

~T20
Mt Sinai
Cornell
NYU
BIDMC
Yale
Pitt
Emory
Vandy

~T30
BU
UNC

~T40/upper midtier
Brown
Dartmouth
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
UVA

Solidly Mid tier
Wake Forest
Jeff
Georgetown
Tufts
Temple
UMaryland
Montefiore
Case Western

The T40 and some of the midtiers are splitting hairs but all of these programs should set you up well for any fellowship. Youll be able to be more choosy about where you want to do fellowship the closer to the T10/Big 4 you get

Last edited:
  • Love
Ill add more for you with ur geo pref in mind

Big 4
Hopkins
Mass Gen
Brigham

T10
UPenn
Columbia
Duke

~T20
Mt Sinai
Cornell
NYU
BIDMC
Yale
Pitt
Emory
Vandy

~T30
BU
UNC

~T40/upper midtier
Brown
Dartmouth
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
UVA

Solidly Mid tier
Wake Forest
Jeff
Georgetown
Tufts
Temple
UMaryland

The T40 and some of the midtiers are splitting hairs but all of these programs should set you up well for any fellowship. Youll be able to be more choosy about where you want to do fellowship the closer to the T10/Big 4 you get
Add Monte to that list especially given the geo preference, otherwise agree

Med School: unranked USMD
Step 2: 260
Class rank: Top 15%
Research: 1 2nd author pub, 1 case report, 3 presentations, 8-9 research experiences
AOA: Nominated but waiting, so let's say NO
ECs: Several tutoring, mentoring underpriviedge kids, leadership positions

What are my chances realistically? do I need to get more low tier school? I want a fellowship either GI or Heme/Onc
List

Reach:

Cornell
Michigan
Northwestern
Chicago
UTSW
UCLA
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UNC
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Mayo AZ and Florida
Stanford
UW
BIDMC
Yale
Emory
WashU St. Louis
UVA (Virginia)

Target:

Georgetown
Maryland
Temple
Minnesota
Jefferson
Wake Forest
UIC
Cincinnati
Utah
Cedars Sinai
Indiana
Montefiore
MUSC (South Carolina)
Rochester
UC Davis
Rutgers RWJ
UC Irvine
UMiami
UFlorida
Rush
Loyola
Tufts
Tulane

Safety:

Home program

Research: 1 2nd author pub, 1 case report, 3 presentations, 8-9 research experiences

What are my chances realistically? do I need to get more low tier school? I want a fellowship either GI or Heme/Onc
List

Reach:

Cornell
Michigan
Northwestern
Chicago
UTSW
UCLA
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UNC
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Mayo AZ and Florida
Stanford
UW
BIDMC
Yale
Emory
WashU St. Louis
UVA (Virginia)

Target:

Georgetown
Maryland
Temple
Minnesota
Jefferson
Wake Forest
UIC
Cincinnati
Utah
Cedars Sinai
Indiana
Montefiore
MUSC (South Carolina)
Rochester
UC Davis
Rutgers RWJ
UC Irvine
UMiami
UFlorida
Rush
Loyola
Tufts
Tulane

Safety:

Home program
I think youre selling yourself short youre in range to have T25 programs as your high targets (most of the programs in your “reach” list i think are good high targets except for UVA which is a solid low target and Mayo FL/AZ are huge safeties (they are nowhere near as good as Mayo Rochester). Reaches will be the big 4-T10 ( BWH JHU MGH UCSF Penn Columbia Duke WashU Michigan Chicago etc). The programs you have listed in your “target” list are low targets to solid targets and I would add Brown CCF and Dartmouth to that list

I think youre selling yourself short youre in range to have T25 programs as your high targets (most of the programs in your “reach” list i think are good high targets except for UVA which is a solid low target and Mayo FL/AZ are huge safeties (they are nowhere near as good as Mayo Rochester). Reaches will be the big 4-T10 ( BWH JHU MGH UCSF Penn Columbia Duke WashU Michigan Chicago etc). The programs you have listed in your “target” list are low targets to solid targets and I would add Brown CCF and Dartmouth to that list
Thank you for the feedback, I certainly look to work on this list with your suggestions

List

Reach:

Cornell
Michigan
Northwestern
Chicago
UTSW
UCLA
NYU
Sinai
UPMC
UNC
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Mayo AZ and Florida
Stanford
UW
BIDMC
Yale
Emory
WashU St. Louis
UVA (Virginia)

Target:

Georgetown
Maryland
Temple
Minnesota
Jefferson
Wake Forest
UIC
Cincinnati
Utah
Cedars Sinai
Indiana
Montefiore
MUSC (South Carolina)
Rochester
UC Davis
Rutgers RWJ
UC Irvine
UMiami
UFlorida
Rush
Loyola
Tufts
Tulane

Safety:

Home program

I do not forsee any difficulty in you getting multiple interviews from your reach list

Med School: State DO
Step 1 / Level 1: Pass
Step 2 / Level 2: none yet
Last NBME before Step 1: 230
Clerkship grades: H in 50% of core clerkships (including IM)
Class rank: Top 20%
Research: 2 posters
LORs: One strong from an IM APD
ECs: Unique hobbies, significant clinical work before medical school, no volunteering or leadership
Red flags: One low clerkship grade
Career goals: University Program; PCCM, Cards

How important are away rotations for me?

@Deecee2DO would appreciate your input.

Med School: State DO
Step 2 / Level 2: none yet
Last NBME before Step 1: 230
Clerkship grades: H in 50% of core clerkships (including IM)
Class rank: Top 20%
Research: 2 posters
LORs: One strong from an IM APD
ECs: Unique hobbies, significant clinical work before medical school, no volunteering or leadership
Red flags: One low clerkship grade
Career goals: University Program; PCCM, Cards

How important are away rotations for me?

@Deecee2DO would appreciate your input.
Tough to give input without a Step 2. I think youll get some academic interviews contingent upon you doing at least avg on Step 2. Places like Carilion Clinic, Medical College of Georgia, GW, NJMS, Univ of South Carolina, EVMS would prob interview you. Get 260+ on Step 2 and more research (a publication or 2) you may get some mid tiers who have interviewed DOs (Georgetown, Wake Forest, Tulane, Jeff etc) to upper mid tiers (CCF, Brown, Dartmouth, etc). In order to get interviews at the tippy top who have historically interviewed DOs but have never matched a DO or rarely matched a DO (Vanderbilt, Wash U, Mayo Rochester, Emory, Baylor, Yale, UNC etc.) youll essentially need to be perfect on paper (260-270+ Step 2 multiple publications almost all if not all honors, top 5% class rank type application) and even then its a crapshoot. Lets us know once you have a Step 2 score and we can give you better input

Med School: T-10 USMD
Step 2 / Level 2: 27X
Class rank: Unsure yet
Research: 2 mid-author pubs, 2 presentations, 2 papers that will be submitted at time of app (all in cards w/ the LOR writer)
LORs: One from well known cardiologist at my institution, others cooking
ECs: Significant leadership at free clinic, significant work with homeless population during gap year
Red flags: IDK
Career goals: Cards

I know I have a great shot at matching to a very good program, just want to hear if my research is too scant to be taken seriously by the big 4 programs?

Last edited:
Med School: T-10 USMD
Step 2 / Level 2: 27X
Class rank: Unsure yet
Research: 2 mid-author pubs, 2 presentations, 2 papers that will be submitted at time of app (all in cards w/ the LOR writer)
LORs: One from well known cardiologist at my institution, others cooking
ECs: Significant leadership at free clinic, significant work with homeless population during gap year
Red flags: IDK
Career goals: Cards

I know I have a great shot at matching to a very good program, just want to hear if my research is too scant to be taken seriously by the big 4 programs?
dude you are set lol apply to the T30 and see where you land. I am optimistic youll get Big 4 interviews but theres never any guarantee for an interview at one of them since theyre so competitive but if anyone deserves it its you and honestly i cant think of what more a PD could ask from you. Sure your research may be a little scant for the Big 4 but in general where you went to med school honestly matters most for the Big 4. No matter where you are residency PDs just want to see at least some form of research-they arent expecting you to have a ridiculously high number of quality high IF pubs as a med student just that you know your way around a research project and can work well on a research team and meet deadlines. try and get your PI to write you a LOR if possible. 270 T10 USMD all honors is pretty much a flawless application. will you get AOA? thats important for the Big 4 if your school offers it

Last edited:
dude you are set lol apply to the T30 and see where you land. I am optimistic youll get Big 4 interviews but theres never any guarantee for an interview at one of them since theyre so competitive but if anyone deserves it its you and honestly i cant think of what more a PD could ask from you. Sure your research may be a little scant for the Big 4 but in general where you went to med school honestly matters most for the Big 4. No matter where you are residency PDs just want to see at least some form of research-they arent expecting you to have a ridiculously high number of quality high IF pubs as a med student just that you know your way around a research project and can work well on a research team and meet deadlines. try and get your PI to write you a LOR if possible. 270 T10 USMD all honors is pretty much a flawless application. will you get AOA? thats important for the Big 4 if your school offers it
I sincerely appreciate your insight! I am not sure about AOA yet, I think I have a good shot, but I won't know until September at the earliest. Yeah, all of my pubs are in Cardiology with my PI. They will be writing me a LOR. The neuroses around this process are eerily reminiscent of applying to medical school lol

I sincerely appreciate your insight! I am not sure about AOA yet, I think I have a good shot, but I won't know until September at the earliest. Yeah, all of my pubs are in Cardiology with my PI. They will be writing me a LOR. The neuroses around this process are eerily reminiscent of applying to medical school lol
I understand it can def be neurotic no matter where youre coming from but you have all the goods so dont worry and remember youll get oustanding training anywhere within the T25 (I would be shocked if you didnt match within T25) even if its not Big 4

Med School: State MD (mid-tier)
Step 2 / Level 2: 26X
Clerkship grades: All H
Research: 1 publication, 7 posters, 3 book chapters
LORs: One strong from an IM APD, one from a regionally recognized neurologist
Gold Humanism/AOA: Not sure yet
ECs: Extensive work with school's free clinic, 4 high-level positions in various clubs, significant outreach work with undomiciled population, and educational volunteering with children from low SES schools
Red flags: None
Career goals: Hoping to match into a top IM program in the NE, preferably NYC or Philly. The aim is GI fellowship.

ECs: Extensive work with school's free clinic, 4 high-level positions in various clubs, significant outreach work with undomiciled population, and educational volunteering with children from low SES schools
Career goals: Hoping to match into a top IM program in the NE, preferably NYC or Philly. The aim is GI fellowship.
AOA will really help you here. I think you have a strong shot to land within the T25

You'll be able to get some interviews from the NE ivory towers

Hi all - would love any advice about re-applying to IM after not matching into a surgical specialty this past year. I will be completing a surgery preliminary year at my home institution which also has a top 20 IM program.

Med School: Top 20
Step 1 / Level 1: 24X
Clerkship grades: P/F
Class rank: N/A
Research: 15+ publications (4+ first author, mix of oncology, allergy & immunology, and surgical research)
LORs: Surgery PD, IM chair, two strong clinical letters
Gold Humanism/AOA: No/NA
ECs:
Extensive volunteer work with the student-run free clinic, including multiple leadership and longitudinal positions; positions in medical school and medical center committees
Red flags: Previous MD graduate, completing a surgical prelim year
Career goals: Academic medicine, either oncology or cardiology or critical care

Questions:
  • How many programs should I apply to? Currently, have a list of ~60 programs with about equal numbers in the high/mid/low tiers.
  • What should my expectations be in terms of interviews and competitiveness?
@Deecee2DO @obiwan would appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Hi all - would love any advice about re-applying to IM after not matching into a surgical specialty this past year. I will be completing a surgery preliminary year at my home institution which also has a top 20 IM program.

Med School: Top 20
Step 1 / Level 1: 24X
Clerkship grades: P/F
Class rank: N/A
Research: 15+ publications (4+ first author, mix of oncology, allergy & immunology, and surgical research)
LORs: Surgery PD, IM chair, medical director of the free clinic (strong letter), primary research mentor (pathologist)
Gold Humanism/AOA: No/NA
ECs:
Extensive volunteer work with the student-run free clinic, including multiple leadership and longitudinal positions; positions in medical school and medical center committees
Red flags: Previous MD graduate, completing a surgical prelim year
Career goals: First of all, hoping to match into any categorical position. I am interested in being a physician-scientist and my clinical interest are medical oncology, cardiology, and critical care. Ideally, I would like to match at a more academic-oriented place in the ~top 50. Not sure if research tracks or PSTP are completely out of the equation, but I assume so based on the combination of being a re-applicant and not being an MD/PhD. A plus but not a necessity would be a large Spanish-speaking patient population as I am fluent and Latinx. Ties to the west coast, east coast, and South.

Questions:
  • How many programs should I apply to? Currently, have a list of ~60 programs with about equal numbers in the high/mid/low tiers.
  • What should my expectations be in terms of interviews and competitiveness?
@Deecee2DO @obiwan would appreciate your input.

I will take it at face value that your profile does not have any other red flags and you just had an unfortunate outcome in the match as it seems to have happened to many of your peers in the cycle this year despite having what I perceive to be a fairly solid/competitive application. While 60 programs might seem a bit overkill given your profile when taken in isolation, I would not fault you for over-applying and I personally would probably do the same. Having a top tier medical school coupled with solid Step scores and fairly robust research experience will certainly help your competitiveness for interviews at some of those top 25 type programs so I don't really have as much concern that you won't match into at least one academic program. My only advice is to just having a good answer if anyone ever asks you why you're making the switch from whatever surgical specialty you initially desired to now internal medicine rather than re-applying especially if you're doing a surgical prelim year

Last edited:
Just got back my Step 2 score and am pretty disappointed as I did worse than expected. Interested in GI fellowship, so hoping to match at a decent academic program.

Med School: Top 40 State school in midwest
Step 2: 240-245
Clerkship grades: Honors in FM and surgery, Near honors in IM/OB/neuro/rads, Pass for the rest.
Class rank: probably middle of the pack
Research: 1 mid author pub, submitting first author pub soon, several posters with awards
ECs: Not a whole lot - Some free clinic and other volunteering, tutoring
Red Flags: None

WAMC for matching at a mid-upper tier academic program (i.e. Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota tier)?
Those programs are in play as targets with your profile along with places like the Ohio State/Indiana/Case Western. A place like Michigan and Northwestern/UChicago are reaches

Just got back my Step 2 score and am pretty disappointed as I did worse than expected. Interested in GI fellowship, so hoping to match at a decent academic program.

Med School: Top 40 State school in midwest
Step 2: 240-245
Clerkship grades: Honors in FM and surgery, Near honors in IM/OB/neuro/rads, Pass for the rest.
Class rank: probably middle of the pack
Research: 1 mid author pub, submitting first author pub soon, several posters with awards
ECs: Not a whole lot - Some free clinic and other volunteering, tutoring
Red Flags: None

WAMC for matching at a mid-upper tier academic program (i.e. Wisconsin/Iowa/Minnesota tier)?
Agree with above poster. Id also add other upper mid tiers like Brown Dartmouth Cleveland Clinic Foundation and UVA. You can add UNC UAB and BU as well but those are a slight tier above (more like T30)