This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So are you going to not apply? Because that's silly.

Your advisors, coming from a T15 school, are used to the AOA gunners with the same dull "research" experience and other checkbox CV stuff that T15 schools are known for. They're not used to someone with a CV like yours (although TBH, most schools wouldn't really know what to do with you). That T15 gets your foot in the door and your CV speaks for itself. You will definitely get some nibbles from Top X programs, and it's kind of ridiculous to not at least try, if that's what fits your career goals.
Apart from trying to do better on STEP 2 (likely after ERAS submission, unfortunately), any suggestions to help optimize my app for some of these top programs? Not sure what I can feasibly do anyways..

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, made this account to post here and would love some feedback on my application.

Med school rank: top 50 (~mid-tier medical school)
USMLE Step 1: low 260's
USMLE Step 2: mid 260's
Class rank: Not sure yet, most likely 1st quartile
AOA: No
GHHS: Not sure yet
Honors: Pass in Family Medicine and OBGYN, otherwise all Honors including M4 rotations
Research: 1 book chapter, ~8-9 publications, all in a surgical sub-specialty (I switched to IM during late M2); by the time I apply I am hoping to have a poster in an IM-related subspecialty
LOR: Should be very solid.
Extracurriculars: Can't really elaborate without doxxing myself but they are pretty good quality in my opinion, I don't think I am lacking in this area.

I understand my application can be seen as "competitive" in a general sense. My two main concerns are that almost all my research is unrelated to IM (I had a genuine change of heart during the middle of my training), and also that I did not get AOA. Do I still have a chance at top programs or will I be written off? I am not "set" on a top 5 or top 10 program or anything but I am interested in fellowship so trying to go to a competitive place in general and am curious about my chances.

Thanks for your insights in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, made this account to post here and would love some feedback on my application.

Med school rank: top 50 (~mid-tier medical school)
USMLE Step 1: low 260's
USMLE Step 2: mid 260's
Class rank: Not sure yet, most likely 1st quartile
GHHS: Not sure yet
Honors: Pass in Family Medicine and OBGYN, otherwise all Honors including M4 rotations
Research: 1 book chapter, ~8-9 publications, all in a surgical sub-specialty (I switched to IM during late M2); by the time I apply I am hoping to have a poster in an IM-related subspecialty
LOR: Should be very solid.
Extracurriculars: Can't really elaborate without doxxing myself but they are pretty good quality in my opinion, I don't think I am lacking in this area.

I understand my application can be seen as "competitive" in a general sense. My two main concerns are that almost all my research is unrelated to IM (I had a genuine change of heart during the middle of my training), and also that I did not get AOA. Do I still have a chance at top programs or will I be written off? I am not "set" on a top 5 or top 10 program or anything but I am interested in fellowship so trying to go to a competitive place in general and am curious about my chances.

Thanks for your insights in advance.
You should apply everywhere clearly very competitive applicant. You could match T5 but who knows. Youll likely match T20. I would just apply to the top 40-50 programs and see where you land. Id say there are no limits to where you can apply

You'll be fine. Will you get interviews from all the grandma programs? No. Will you get many? Probably.

Apply where you want and see how things go.
You should apply everywhere clearly very competitive applicant. You could match T5 but who knows. Youll likely match T20. I would just apply to the top 40-50 programs and see where you land. Id say there are no limits to where you can apply
Thank you both for the re-assurance. Any thoughts on the AOA part? I feel like I've read on here and Reddit numerous posts that imply that without AOA competitive top 20 programs won't consider you if you are from a mid-tier program (just wondering this as I am in the process of making my school list). Also, any advice on explaining my research given its specificity to a niche surgical subspecialty? My transcript will reflect that I've only done IM rotations and am not a secret "dual applier" or anything, but I'm just concerned programs will look at it and doubt my commitment to the field.

Thanks!

Thank you both for the re-assurance. Any thoughts on the AOA part? I feel like I've read on here and Reddit numerous posts that imply that without AOA competitive top 20 programs won't consider you if you are from a mid-tier program (just wondering this as I am in the process of making my school list). Also, any advice on explaining my research given its specificity to a niche surgical subspecialty? My transcript will reflect that I've only done IM rotations and am not a secret "dual applier" or anything, but I'm just concerned programs will look at it and doubt my commitment to the field.

Thanks!
I mean having AOA is a big component but you have several things in your favor-being a USMD, high scores, mostly honors and higher than avg # of what seem to be quality pubs. Yes being from a T10 med school and having AOA helps a lot and can get those with avg to slghtly above avg board scores into the ivory tower programs but you have mostly everything other than AOA. FWIW I was a USDO applicant who received interviews from T20 programs last cycle so if I can then why cant you coming from a USMD with what appears to be a very strong app

Reposting with my step 2 score added

USMD Top 15
Step 1: 233
Step 2: 256
Clinical grades: 2 H (H in Medicine), rest HP.
Research: 2 2nd author pubs, 1 first author case report, 4 presentations (1 national conference), another paper in the works
Recs: will have 3 strong letters
ECs: Multiple leadership positions, volunteer experiences

This is the list I have so far but certainly open to other program rec's. Career goal is Cards fellowship.

Reach:
Duke
Mayo Clinic
UMich
Vanderbilt
Baylor
U of Colorado

Target:
UNC
UTSW
UAB
UVA
Emory
Wake Forest
Tulane
U of Utah
Ohio State
UMiami
Case Western
Cleveland Clinic

Safety:
MUSC
Mayo Jax
UF
LSU
Mayo AZ
Sorry to bump this but wanted to get thoughts on chances with Duke in particular. Of course it’s a reach but I haven’t really gotten a straight answer from my advisor. I guess the question is how do I approach showing interest when app season starts without being obnoxious? Is it appropriate to see if my school has any connections for them to call and get an interview? If at the end of the day it’s a crapshoot then I’m totally cool with that but I don’t want to not use resources/connections if it’s appropriate and could be useful.

Sorry to bump this but wanted to get thoughts on chances with Duke in particular. Of course it’s a reach but I haven’t really gotten a straight answer from my advisor. I guess the question is how do I approach showing interest when app season starts without being obnoxious? Is it appropriate to see if my school has any connections for them to call and get an interview? If at the end of the day it’s a crapshoot then I’m totally cool with that but I don’t want to not use resources/connections if it’s appropriate and could be useful.
Use your resources always. Send an app and see if you get an invite it cant hurt. You have a shot based on med school pedigree and strong Step 2 but its still a reach. These are my thoughts others may disagree

Reactions: 1 user
Just an update, I got my level 2 back and didn't do so hot (510). Does it matter if my step 2 is >240?

Do you attend a medical school east of the Mississippi? If so, I'd say very likely. Regardless, you have a great shot of getting an interview there using your connections or not.

Use your resources always. Send an app and see if you get an invite it cant hurt. You have a shot based on med school pedigree and strong Step 2 but its still a reach. These are my thoughts others may disagree
Preciate the input Deecee. Hope intern year is going well!

• Love
Do you attend a medical school east of the Mississippi? If so, I'd say very likely. Regardless, you have a great shot of getting an interview there using your connections or not.
West coast but strong ties to the southeast- not really NC though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your app is pretty boss only thing possibly limiting some of the T10s for u is research is a little weak. If you get AOA youll have a good shot at all of those places. Only true reaches for you are Penn Columbia Duke and WashU but theyre reaches for most people
Sorry to bump, but unfortunately didn't land the AOA spot. Do you think that severely affects my chances? I managed to grab another poster presentation and possibly a case report submission before apps are out.

Sorry to bump, but unfortunately didn't land the AOA spot. Do you think that severely affects my chances? I managed to grab another poster presentation and possibly a case report submission before apps are out.
Dang sorry to hear that sounds like you deserved it. I think you obviously have a shot but only time will tell. I think youll def get interviews at Tier 2 schools (Yale Sinai UTSW Emory Baylor NYU Cornell etc) but the big 4 might be tough as they are challenging for anyone. You may get bites from Duke Columbia Penn but they are still considered reaches in my opinion. AOA would have definitely increased your chances at the T10 by a lot but i dont think youre out of the running now per se. Its the low med school tier the no AOA and weaker research that makes T10 more of a reach for you. Unfortunately you will see applicants from T5 med schools with totally avg board scores snag interviews at the big 4 and T10 programs as school pedigree matters WAY more than it should in ivory tower IM programs-just the way it is and it sucks. Dont let this keep you down you have an otherwise stellar app and you should be very proud of your hard work. You will get where you want to go and if it were me id bet youll most likely match within the T25 just a matter of where. Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited:

I looked at your original post. Kinda surprised about the AOA. Nonetheless, you won't have a hard time snagging interviews at those programs you listed. You have to understand the residency interview process is kinda random so you'll get invites from places you didn't expect and denials from places you were expecting. I was a competitive applicant in the numbers but came from a less pedigreed medical school without much research and still came out with several interviews from the top 15 so you'll do fine.

One way to show interest is doing an away rotation at the institution if that is possible and getting a faculty letter from them. Not sure if its too late for that

One way to show interest is doing an away rotation at the institution if that is possible and getting a faculty letter from them. Not sure if its too late for that
Agreed and I thought about it initially but my advisors felt it wouldn't be necessary. We've had multiple students get interviews at Duke in the past so it's certainly possible. I did look at the aways last night and it would be difficult with my school rotation schedule so I'm just going to roll with it and hope for the best.

Hello!

M4 here looking to take a second look at competitiveness (posted months ago but now have lots of new information). Looking for a program that will train me well for either a career in outpatient primary care or Heme/Onc vs General Cardiology as possible sub-specialties. Would prefer a program with heavier ambulatory training as that is likely the kind of setting I'll strive to work in long-term. Will also be dual-applying with some Med-Peds programs; still discerning between the two specialties.

Med School: Unranked Midwest USMD
M1-M2 Grades: 3rd quartile, won't be noted on my MSPE
M3 Grades:
Honored Surgery, OB, FM;
High-Passed Psych/Neuro, Peds, IM
Step 1: 230-235
Step 2: 260-265
AOA: Yes
GHHS: still waiting to hear back, I'm a semifinalist
Research: A few posters and activities, might have a 4th-author pub by ERAS season. Not my strong suit.
Extracurriculars: Distinction programs in Global/Public health and Bioethics, lots of leadership positions, lots of relevant work experience prior to med school
Volunteering: Good experiences
LOR: should be very solid
Geography: Basically only applying to programs in Michigan and Chicago due to family ties, strong desire to be in these areas

Goal Programs (all listed are IM, no particular order):

UMich
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Henry Ford
Beaumont
Spectrum
St. Joe Ann Arbor
Western Michigan
Advocate Lutheran Chicago

Is this a reasonable list? Can I feel good about matching with this list assuming decent interview skills? Would love to save money on ERAS fees if possible!

Hello!

M4 here looking to take a second look at competitiveness (posted months ago but now have lots of new information). Looking for a program that will train me well for either a career in outpatient primary care or Heme/Onc vs General Cardiology as possible sub-specialties. Would prefer a program with heavier ambulatory training as that is likely the kind of setting I'll strive to work in long-term. Will also be dual-applying with some Med-Peds programs; still discerning between the two specialties.

M3 Grades:
Honored Surgery, OB, FM;
Research: A few posters and activities, might have a 4th-author pub by ERAS season. Not my strong suit.
Extracurriculars: Distinction programs in Global/Public health and Bioethics, lots of leadership positions, lots of relevant work experience prior to med school
Geography: Basically only applying to programs in Michigan and Chicago due to family ties, strong desire to be in these areas

UMich
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Henry Ford
Beaumont
Spectrum
St. Joe Ann Arbor
Western Michigan

Is this a reasonable list? Can I feel good about matching with this list assuming decent interview skills? Would love to save money on ERAS fees if possible!

Your numbers are pretty solid. The AOA takes aways the sting of not honoring your medicine clerkship. I guess my question to you is are you willing to apply to programs outside of those 2 areas but geographically close by i.e. Ohio/Wisconsin (I was always told that Milwaukee is basically a suburb of Chicago lol). I certainly think you can snag at least one interview from your top 3 and that you shouldn't have to worry about the second half with those community oriented programs but I might favor having a few more solid middle tier programs like UWisconsin/tOSU/Case Western just in case you fall from the first 3 and you're open to somewhere not Chicago

Your numbers are pretty solid. The AOA takes aways the sting of not honoring your medicine clerkship. I guess my question to you is are you willing to apply to programs outside of those 2 areas but geographically close by i.e. Ohio/Wisconsin (I was always told that Milwaukee is basically a suburb of Chicago lol). I certainly think you can snag at least one interview from your top 3 and that you shouldn't have to worry about the second half with those community oriented programs but I might favor having a few more solid middle tier programs like UWisconsin/tOSU/Case Western just in case you fall from the first 3 and you're open to somewhere not Chicago
And UMinn
Indy
Mayo
WashU
SLU
Iowa

I could go on, but I’m even lazier than @Silky Cerberus

Hello!

M3 Grades:
Honored Surgery, OB, FM;

UMich
Northwestern
UChicago
Rush
UIC
Loyola
Henry Ford
Beaumont
Spectrum
St. Joe Ann Arbor
Western Michigan

Youre selling yourself short lol pretty great app being USMD 260+ Step 2 and AOA you should be applying to mostly academic programs with ur app. Should add a lot more mid tiers upper mid tiers and T30 programs. Not sure if u have geo pref. Also consider PC tracks if you want more focus on ambulatory medicine as mentioned. Most programs PC and Categorical tracks are extremely intertwined with each other and its more of an internal track system based on the residents goals (aside from Yales PC track which is very separate from the categorical track). There is misunderstanding with PC tracks that doing so means ur pinned to doing PC which is 100% false. People in PC tracks go on to do cards GI etc. although usually they tend to want to do more outpatient heavy subspecialties like Hemeonc Allergy Rheum etc.

Targets (mixed bag of tiers here)
Dartmouth
Brown
Case
CCF
BU
UNC
Mayo
Yale
Cornell
Tufts
UVA
Emory
Northwestern
Georgetown
Wake Forest
UMinnesota
UColorado
Jeff
GW
UWisconsin
Ohio State
Iowa

Reach
UChicago
Vanderbilt
WashU
Duke
Penn
Columbia
UMichigan

Those community programs you have can be your safeties

Last edited:
Hello, I'm a 4th-year trying to put together a residency list for Internal Medicine. I'm originally from CA, and I'd like to go back, but ultimately I would like to go to a quality university program that would make me competitive for a subspecialty (leaning towards heme/onc). Any help with expanding my residency list would be much appreciated, esp CA programs and target/safety program in general. I'm thinking I want a list of at least 50.

M1-M2 Grades: 2nd quartile I think, unsure if it will be on MSPE
M3 Grades:
Honored FM, Peds, Psych, Neuro
High-Passed IM, OB
Passed Surgery
Step 1: 251-253
Step 2: 253-255
GHHS: No
Research: One publication, some abstracts/posters/presentations, ~10 total (need to do a final tally)
Extracurriculars: Leadership positions/political advocacy involvement with AMA and state government, tutoring/mentoring positions for the underclassmen, some work experience prior to med school

LOR: One from SubI, one from an ID attending I was on consults with, and one from our department chair
Geography: Leaning towards Pacific, Middle Atlantic, and New England for most of my list

Here's my list so far:

MGH
BWH
JHU
UCSF
UPenn (HUP)
Columbia
Duke
WashU
UTSW
Stanford
BIDMC
Cornell
NYU
Vanderbilt
UMich
Northwestern
UWash
Yale
Mayo-Rochester
Harvard
WashU
Brown
Icahn at Mount Sinai
Henry Ford
UC Davis
UCLA
UCSF Fresno
Kaiser SF

Hello, I'm a 4th-year trying to put together a residency list for Internal Medicine. I'm originally from CA, and I'd like to go back, but ultimately I would like to go to a quality university program that would make me competitive for a subspecialty (leaning towards heme/onc). Any help with expanding my residency list would be much appreciated, esp CA programs and target/safety program in general. I'm thinking I want a list of at least 50.

M3 Grades:
High-Passed IM, OB
Passed Surgery
Research: One publication, some abstracts/posters/presentations, ~10 total (need to do a final tally)
Extracurriculars: Leadership positions/political advocacy involvement with AMA and state government, tutoring/mentoring positions for the underclassmen, some work experience prior to med school

LOR: One from SubI, one from an ID attending I was on consults with, and one from our department chair
Geography: Leaning towards Pacific, Middle Atlantic, and New England for most of my list

Here's my list so far:

MGH
BWH
JHU
UCSF
UPenn (HUP)
Columbia
Duke
WashU
UTSW
Stanford
BIDMC
Cornell
NYU
Vanderbilt
UMich
Northwestern
UWash
Yale
Mayo-Rochester
Harvard
WashU
Brown
Icahn at Mount Sinai
Henry Ford
UC Davis
UCLA
UCSF Fresno
Kaiser SF

You don't need 50 programs in all honesty. Some other California programs to think about are USC/LAC, UC San Diego, Cedars Sinai, Olive View/UCLA, and UC Irvine.

M3 Grades:
High-Passed IM, OB
Passed Surgery

Here's my list so far:

MGH
BWH
JHU
UCSF
UPenn (HUP)
Columbia
Duke
WashU
UTSW
Stanford
BIDMC
Cornell
NYU
Vanderbilt
UMich
Northwestern
UWash
Yale
Mayo-Rochester
Harvard
WashU
Brown
Icahn at Mount Sinai
Henry Ford
UC Davis
UCLA
UCSF Fresno
Kaiser SF
Your list is way too top heavy. Go ahead and keep those places on the list if money is no object, but you need another 20 or so target programs too.

As an example, your midwest programs:
Huge Reaches: WashU, Michigan, NW, Mayo
Targets: None
Safety: Henry Ford(?)

Where's UMinn, Wisco, Iowa, Indy, SLU, MCW?

The same is basically true of your other geographic regions as well.

Reactions: 1 users

M3 Grades:
High-Passed IM, OB
Passed Surgery

Here's my list so far:

MGH
BWH
JHU
UCSF
UPenn (HUP)
Columbia
Duke
WashU
UTSW
Stanford
BIDMC
Cornell
NYU
Vanderbilt
UMich
Northwestern
UWash
Yale
Mayo-Rochester
Harvard
WashU
Brown
Icahn at Mount Sinai
Henry Ford
UC Davis
UCLA
UCSF Fresno
Kaiser SF
Very very top heavy. Your app is strong don't get me wrong-you have the 250+ Step 1 and mostly honors as well as USMD, yet if you are targeting T15 programs you will be competing with applicants from T15 med schools with the same or better Step scores mostly if not all honors plus AOA and without question honors in IM. Unranked med school without AOA and no honors in IM make it more challenging for the T15-20 programs which composes most of your list here. I think you are a perfect fit for T30 and upper midtier programs (UNC, BU, Colorado, UVA, Dartmouth, Brown, CCF, Ohio State, USC Keck, UCLA etc). You need more safeties and you need to cast a wider net (at least 40 programs and not so top heavy). You very well may get a few bites from the T20 (I don't think you are out of the running for say Mayo-R, Yale, NW, Cornell, Sinai) but places like the big 4, Duke, HUP, Columbia and WashU are going to be very challenging. This process is quite random, but having most of your programs be in the T20 is dangerous and don't want you to run risk of not matching, when you obviously have an otherwise strong application. UCSF Fresno, Kaiser and Henry Ford are good safeties-add a few more. These T10 places (big 4, duke, HUP, columbia WashU) are getting applicants with near perfect applications (all honors, AOA, 260+ Steps, multiple pubs some first author) and/or applicants coming from T10 ivory tower med schools. Update your list and then post again. Good luck!

Last edited:
Med School: state school USMD
M1-M2 Grades: middle of the pack
M3 Grades:
Honored FM, GI elective, Rheum elective
HP IM, OB, Peds, Surgery, Psych
Stellar evals, only missed honors in most rotations because of shelf scores missing cut off by a few points here and there

Step 1: 225 (yikes)
Step 2: 252 (yay)
Research: One experience (summer program in different specialty during COVID) with oral presentation, working on some case reports now but unlikely anything to come out of that prior to submitting apps
Extracurriculars: Admissions Committee, underclassmen mentor, volunteer clinic, pretty basic stuff.
LoR: Should be strong - IM Chair letter, IM PD from home program, IM inpatient letter, letter from one of my Deans

Reach/Dream (because why not): Duke, Emory, Mount Sinai, Einstein, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Tufts, UPenn, Vandy, Yale

Target: BU, Brown, GWU, Hopkins Bayview, Mayo-Jacksonville, Georgetown, MUSC, Rutgers RWJ, Jefferson, Temple, U Cincinnati, U Florida, UNC, USF Tampa, UT-Nashville, UT-Austin, U Vermont, U Virginia, VCU, Wake Forest, Zucker Hofstra

Safety: Carolinas Medical center, medical college Georgia, and my home program

Only 3 safeties because I am fairly certain I can match at my home program. Only question is if I should add more targets since I’m assuming there will be a lot of interview hoarding and I’m obviously not the most competitive applicant in the world

Last edited:
M3 Grades:
Stellar evals, only missed honors in most rotations because of shelf scores missing cut off by a few points here and there

Research: One experience (summer program in different specialty during COVID) with oral presentation, working on some case reports now but unlikely anything to come out of that prior to submitting apps
Extracurriculars: Admissions Committee, underclassmen mentor, volunteer clinic, pretty basic stuff.
LoR: Should be strong - IM Chair letter, IM PD from home program, IM inpatient letter, letter from one of my Deans

Reach/Dream (because why not): Duke, Emory, Mount Sinai, Einstein, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Tufts, UPenn, Vandy, Yale

Target: BU, Brown, GWU, Hopkins Bayview, Mayo-Jacksonville, Georgetown, MUSC, Rutgers RWJ, Jefferson, Temple, U Cincinnati, U Florida, UNC, USF Tampa, UT-Nashville, UT-Austin, U Vermont, U Virginia, VCU, Wake Forest, Zucker Hofstra

Only 3 safeties because I am fairly certain I can match at my home program. Only question is if I should add more targets since I’m assuming there will be a lot of interview hoarding and I’m obviously not the most competitive applicant in the world
All of your reaches will be super reaches (donations) except for Tufts which should be lumped in with Brown UVA BU and UNC which will be borderline reaches but still possible to snag an interview. still think you should def apply to all you have there and see what you come up with because you have nothing to lose but your money. Rest of your schools look good for targets and safeties! Youre a USMD with a decent app (your strength is your Step 2 score everything else seems pretty middle of the pack) and no red flags I think youll get some interviews from some nice programs maybe not the “grandma” programs as gutonc likes to call them (the namebrands your grandma would know) but youll do well. Your weakness for these upper midtier and higher programs are lack of research and low Step 1.

M3 Grades:

Quoting this just to say go dawgs! Best of luck!

M3 Grades:

Just throwing out UAB as another program to apply to if you are thinking of the South

Underlined are problem areas of my application. I'm applying to two geographic areas. This post includes my Pacific programs.

Med school - Top 20 USMD
M1-M2 grades: ungraded
M3 grades: bottom quartile
Step 1: mid-240s
Step 2: low-240s
AOA/GHHS: no
Research: one (1) first author, two (2) pending first authors, 5+ posters/oral presentations in non-IM fields. My research consisted of data analysis which made me work with a diversity of specialties.
Extracurriculars/LORs: nothing too spectacular
Possible red flag: I did not match last year into moderately competitive specialty. Feedback was that I did not apply broadly enough but performed average during interviews. I'm ultimately happy to instead be applying into medicine.

Goal: PCP or Heme/Onc or Allergy or Rheumatology

Reach: OHSU, Utah, UC Davis, UCLA Harbor View, UCLA Olive View
Target: UC Irvine, Cedars-Sinai, Santa Clara Valley, USC/LAC
Safety: KP Oakland, KP SF, KP Santa Clara, Providence Health, Legacy Emmanuel, WSU, Virginia Mason, Huntington Memorial

Can someone (eg @gutonc and @Deecee2DO) characterize what consistutes a 'target,' 'reach,' and 'target' for my reference?

Interesting tidbit I found on Duke’s website. “As USMLE Step1 transitions to pass/fail, we will not use numerical scores in part of our interview or match decisions.” Assume if Duke is doing this then the vast majority of other programs are doing this as well?

Interesting tidbit I found on Duke’s website. “As USMLE Step1 transitions to pass/fail, we will not use numerical scores in part of our interview or match decisions.” Assume if Duke is doing this then the vast majority of other programs are doing this as well?
Probably just means they won't use it because some applicants this year will have P/F and others scored step 1. I bet they are still using step 2 scores across the board

Probably just means they won't use it because some applicants this year will have P/F and others scored step 1. I bet they are still using step 2 scores across the board
Oh for sure they’ll use step 2 scores. It’s the only objective measure they have left.

Just because Duke is doing it doesn't say anything about other programs.

Underlined are problem areas of my application. I'm applying to two geographic areas. This post includes my Pacific programs.

Med school - Top 20 USMD
Research: one (1) first author, two (2) pending first authors, 5+ posters/oral presentations in non-IM fields. My research consisted of data analysis which made me work with a diversity of specialties.
Possible red flag: I did not match last year into moderately competitive specialty. Feedback was that I did not apply broadly enough but performed average during interviews. I'm ultimately happy to instead be applying into medicine.

Safety: KP Oakland, KP SF, KP Santa Clara, Providence Health, Legacy Emmanuel, WSU, Virginia Mason, Huntington Memorial

Can someone (eg @gutonc and @Deecee2DO) characterize what consistutes a 'target,' 'reach,' and 'target' for my reference?
This is tough i will defer to my trusted colleague @gutonc I do know that with hemeonc rheum or allergy on your list of interests you should apply to PC tracks along with categorical at programs that offer it. Youll have extremely similar training to categorical but just more outpatient tailored training (more ambulatory blocks sprinkled in)

Just because Duke is doing it doesn't say anything about other programs.
Fair enough. If that’s the case how are other programs handling some applications with step 1 scores and others with P? Hard to think that Step 1 is now not obsolete with this being the first cycle with some having a P instead of a 3 digit score.

Med school - Top 20 USMD

This is tough i will defer to my trusted colleague @gutonc I do know that with hemeonc rheum or allergy on your list of interests you should apply to PC tracks along with categorical at programs that offer it. Youll have extremely similar training to categorical but just more outpatient tailored training (more ambulatory blocks sprinkled in)
I'm not sure I really understand the question. There are a bunch of programs here and I'm guessing the rest of them stretch from Boston to Baltimore on the other coast. Apply and see what happens.

I'm not sure I really understand the question. There are a bunch of programs here and I'm guessing the rest of them stretch from Boston to Baltimore on the other coast. Apply and see what happens.

Thank you for the replies. I hoped to gauge my competitiveness for the listed programs, like that given to GeorgiaBulldowgs above characterizing whether their reaches were reaches and targets were targets.

Last edited:

Med school - Top 20 USMD

So i will take the not matching at face value and that you truly didn't apply to enough programs which I suspect would not be a true red flag (unless there are deeper forces at play with your application). An applicant with overall solid scores from a top 25 medical school shouldn't have much difficulty garnering interviews from those "reach" programs which aren't the prototypical reach programs on any other given week for an uncomplicated similar-ish profile. I would see about doing your subI early if you haven't done so already and honoring it/getting a strong letter to try to make up for your 3rd year clerkship grades which might open the door wider at least for interview invite for some of the other places like UCSD

Last edited:
Hey guys, M4 here hoping to get some advice about which programs to apply to and overall competitiveness. Below is a snapshot of my stats/app:

Med School: Mid-Tier MD School
M1-M2 Grades: 1st quartile
M3 Grades: Honored all rotations but one, which I got a High Pass in (it wasn't IM). Also honored my IM SubI.
Step 1: 255+
Step 2: 265+
Research: First author publication submitted, abstract publication, a couple of oral presentations, and a couple of poster presentations; feel like this is my weakest area compared to others.
Extracurriculars: Very strong, can't get too into it so I don't dox myself but I have plenty of solid leadership positions and novel experiences
Volunteering: Solid
LOR: Can't really say since I haven't seen them. Have 4 total and one departmental letter. One from a big name and 2 others that seem like they will be really solid, last one will be good but nothing great.
Geography: Northeast, midwest, east coast, possibly some southern schools but less likely. Not really interested in anything on the West.

I've been told I'm competitive, but I'm not familiar enough with process to know how much. I want to ideally match at a T10, but don't want to make the mistake of applying top-heavy and screwing myself out of matching. Any advice on which programs I should apply to and how many to apply to overall would be very much appreciated.

Hey guys, M4 here hoping to get some advice about which programs to apply to and overall competitiveness. Below is a snapshot of my stats/app:

M3 Grades: Honored all rotations but one, which I got a High Pass in (it wasn't IM). Also honored my IM SubI.
Research: First author publication submitted, abstract publication, a couple of oral presentations, and a couple of poster presentations; feel like this is my weakest area compared to others.
Extracurriculars: Very strong, can't get too into it so I don't dox myself but I have plenty of solid leadership positions and novel experiences
LOR: Can't really say since I haven't seen them. Have 4 total and one departmental letter. One from a big name and 2 others that seem like they will be really solid, last one will be good but nothing great.
Geography: Northeast, midwest, east coast, possibly some southern schools but less likely. Not really interested in anything on the West.

I've been told I'm competitive, but I'm not familiar enough with process to know how much. I want to ideally match at a T10, but don't want to make the mistake of applying top-heavy and screwing myself out of matching. Any advice on which programs I should apply to and how many to apply to overall would be very much appreciated.

You are a solidly competitive applicant with no deficiencies on your profile (intrigued by your extracurriculars) so I would be quite shocked if you didn't get into a top 10 program unless you royally screw up the interview process. Realistically, you probably don't need to apply to more than 25 programs but the real question is how many interviews do you see yourself going on. The interviews are all novelty and fun at the beginning but the programs really do start blending in together after doing more than 10. You can apply to everything in the top 20 minus your geographic rule outs and then a handful of top 25-50 (programs like Pitt/UVA as an example) and then round it out with a few safeties like your home program and local state programs

Last edited:

Theres no better way to put this but youre a gangster. Apply anywhere you want. Id say apply to all of the T30 programs with a few mid tiers as safeties and youre good to go. You can and probably will match T10. Big 4 isnt even out of reach but those places are so random and will most likely wanna see more research from you. you are clearly qualified for MGH BWH JHH and UCSF but youre research is only thing holding you back from there which you already know and owned. If you had more pubs id say youd match within big 4. Strong work amigo

hello all. ms4 hoping to gain some insight to which programs I should be applying to and any advice on signaling strategies (which programs are reaches vs targets?) etc.

Mid-tier USMD east coast
M1/M2 Grades: 1st quartile
M3 Grades: 5/7 H including IM. 2/7 HP.
M4 Grades (do these matter?): only done ICU and ID so far, grades pending. No sub-I yet
Step 1: 245-250
Step 2: 265-270
AOA: likely yes, elections ongoing. I am in 1st quartile of class
GHHS: no
Research: 7 publications, 10 posters, a few awards and grants/scholarships
EC's: Nothing crazy but have 5-7 decent experiences, including teaching, volunteer service, leadership positions
LORs: not from uber-prominent faculty but am confident they are very strong/glowing
no red flags, geographic preference will be east coast mainly

List - tentative signals denoted by (s):

Reaches
NYP-Columbia (s)
U Penn (s)
Mass Gen Hosp
Brigham & Women's
Duke U Hosp
Johns Hopkins
Vanderbilt U
Emory U

Targets
NYP-Cornell (s)
NYU Grossman (s)
Icahn Mount Sinai Hospital (s)
Yale-New Haven Med Center (s)
Thomas Jefferson U
Univ North Carolina
Beth Israel Deaconess (s)
Boston U/BMC
UPMC
Univ of Maryland
UVa
Dartmouth
UCSD

Safeties
Einstein/Montefiore
Brown U
Rutgers RWJ Med
George Washington Univ
Georgetown
Tufts U
Temple U
INOVA Fairfax
VCU
Wake Forest

what are everyone's thoughts? are my signals too top heavy? would like to be in philly/nyc/boston area if possible for family reasons. thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dude 3 patents and 37 pubs? lmao absolute savage. Coming from a T15 med school any of the T20 places are in your wheelhouse. You can apply wherever you want realistically lol MGH BWH JHH and UCSF are difficult for anyone so no guarantees there but Cornell NYU Sinai Yale BIDMC are for sure targets. Penn and Columbia probs target-ish/reach. If you get 260+ Step 2 youll be ballin
Looks like I'm 4th quartile. Any thoughts here?I really want to apply medicine but I might just apply Ophtho as I have a much better chance at a top program there....

Would appreciate advice on program selection and number of apps to target.

Med School: Top 25 MD
USMLE Step 1: 25X
USMLE Step 2 CK: 26X
Class Rank/AOA: Not applicable to our school
Clinical Grades: P/F rotations, very strong comments in almost all core clerkships (relatively weaker in 1 rotation) and both medicine subIs
Research: 6 accepted/published papers (2 first author, 1 Nature/Cell/Science), 1 submitted case report, 5 posters, 2 presentations
ECs: Several committees, some teaching/volunteering
Awards: 3-4 noteworthy medical school awards for research/patient care
LORs: Anticipated to be very strong

Program List (Feedback Appreciated)
- Reach: MGH, UCSF, BWH, JHU
- Target(?): UCLA, Yale, Beth Israel, U-Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, UTSW, Mayo Rochester, Umich, Columbia, Penn, Wash-U, Vanderbilt, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Stanford, Cornell, UPMC, Washington, Emory
- Safety(?, mostly based on geographic prefs): UVA, Wisconsin, Case UH, Loyola, UIC, George Washington, Georgetown

I'd ideally like to go to a strong academic program because I want to sub specialize in cards/GI/onc/PCCM and somewhat particular research interests. My main question is whether I am applying to the appropriate # of programs and if I need to add more to what is probably a "top heavy" list. Appreciate any and all feedback.

Would appreciate advice on program selection and number of apps to target.

Med School: Top 25 MD
USMLE Step 1: 25X
USMLE Step 2 CK: 26X
Class Rank/AOA: Not applicable to our school
Clinical Grades: P/F rotations, very strong comments in almost all core clerkships (relatively weaker in 1 rotation) and both medicine subIs
Research: 6 accepted/published papers (2 first author, 1 Nature/Cell/Science), 1 submitted case report, 5 posters, 2 presentations
ECs: Several committees, some teaching/volunteering
Awards: 3-4 noteworthy medical school awards for research/patient care
LORs: Anticipated to be very strong

Program List (Feedback Appreciated)
- Reach: MGH, UCSF, BWH, JHU
- Target(?): UCLA, Yale, Beth Israel, U-Chicago, Northwestern, Duke, UTSW, Mayo Rochester, Umich, Columbia, Penn, Wash-U, Vanderbilt, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Stanford, Cornell, UPMC, Washington, Emory
- Safety(?, mostly based on geographic prefs): UVA, Wisconsin, Case UH, Loyola, UIC, George Washington, Georgetown

I'd ideally like to go to a strong academic program because I want to sub specialize in cards/GI/onc/PCCM and somewhat particular research interests. My main question is whether I am applying to the appropriate # of programs and if I need to add more to what is probably a "top heavy" list. Appreciate any and all feedback.
30 programs is more than enough with your application profile and appropriate program selection given your competitiveness

hello all. ms4 hoping to gain some insight to which programs I should be applying to and any advice on signaling strategies (which programs are reaches vs targets?) etc.

Mid-tier USMD east coast
M1/M2 Grades: 1st quartile
M3 Grades: 5/7 H including IM. 2/7 HP.
M4 Grades (do these matter?): only done ICU and ID so far, grades pending. No sub-I yet
Step 1: 245-250
Step 2: 265-270
AOA: likely yes, elections ongoing. I am in 1st quartile of class
GHHS: no
Research: 7 publications, 10 posters, a few awards and grants/scholarships
EC's: Nothing crazy but have 5-7 decent experiences, including teaching, volunteer service, leadership positions
LORs: not from uber-prominent faculty but am confident they are very strong/glowing
no red flags, geographic preference will be east coast mainly

List - tentative signals denoted by (s):

Reaches
NYP-Columbia (s)
U Penn (s)
Mass Gen Hosp
Brigham & Women's
Duke U Hosp
Johns Hopkins
Vanderbilt U
Emory U

Targets
NYP-Cornell (s)
NYU Grossman (s)
Icahn Mount Sinai Hospital (s)
Yale-New Haven Med Center (s)
Thomas Jefferson U
Univ North Carolina
Beth Israel Deaconess (s)
Boston U/BMC
UPMC
Univ of Maryland
UVa
Dartmouth
UCSD

Safeties
Einstein/Montefiore
Brown U
Rutgers RWJ Med
George Washington Univ
Georgetown
Tufts U
Temple U
INOVA Fairfax
VCU
Wake Forest

what are everyone's thoughts? are my signals too top heavy? would like to be in philly/nyc/boston area if possible for family reasons. thanks in advance!
You’ll be fine. The only 2 other boxes you can’t check are Top 10 school and PhD (and it’s 3-10 years too late for those), but your app is otherwise all rainbows and unicorns.

I don’t know what the kids mean by “signaling”, but you’re going to get more than enough invites from your reach/target groups. Feel free to apply to your whole list and enjoy the ego boost (and have the opportunity to visit programs that might be a better fit for you than the bigger names might be) that all those invitations will provide. But you can stop at 20 and be fine.