This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yale and UPMC are in a different league than the others. Temple, Tufts, Dartmouth and Monte I would consider similar. The rest below that with fewer fellowship options.

Those programs (as I know residents in nearly all of them save for UConn) all match residents very well into their specialties of choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Final question: Any comments on the regional bias in regards to what the student is putting down as the permanent address in ERAS? I've heard that NJ/PA/Mass are three tough states for those not from the northeast. And comparably so California favors their own. I have the opportunity to place either an east or west coast address as my permanent. Thoughts on whether I should risk some programs on the east coast for the slim chance of a solid CA slot, or just forgo the CA residencies and stick to east coast. (Location isn't important, just looking at maximizing my chances for a solid program).

Appreciate all the helps guys!
I honestly didn't experience that regional bias at all when I applied (although I'm not a Carib grad). I got interviews from LA to Boston, Seattle to Raleigh/Durham (which was as far south as I applied), Minneapolis to St. Louis, with an NYC address and a "home" on the West Coast.

TL;DR...I think you should use the permanent address that will get you mail in a timely fashion as needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS3 here.

School: Top 25
Step 1: 270
Step 2: Not taken
Class rank: Top quartile
AOA: Junior maybe (apps not out yet)
Preclinical: All H
Clerkships: Honors in all clerkships thus far (including H in medicine with 99 percentile on shelf)
Research: Should have two papers published (neither first author) by time of apps and currently working on a case report. Have some other pubs prior to med school (doubt it will have much relevance). Have little desire to get involved in much more at this point.
Activities: A good amount of leadership, tutoring; limited community service
Letters of rec: Too early to say but should be good

At this point I'm 95% sure I will be going into IM unless something drastically changes. Likely going for cards or GI. My question is I still have half of the clerkships left including surgery, peds, family, and neuro. At this point a lot has been going on with family and my mind is basically elsewhere this semester. Absolutely love the medicine program at my home institution and would love to stay here (which has a top 10 medicine program) and I believe they accept a good chunk of their class from our school. Little to no desire to apply to the top 4 except for maybe Hopkins. Do I absolutely need to be working for H in the rest of the clerkships or worry about getting AOA? At this point since I have my plate full with other things, could I afford to tank a bit with the rest of the clerkships? I highly doubt I will be pursuing anything related to them. Thanks!

I... I can't... I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not but on the assumption that you're not I just want to say that you'll probably be fine no matter what happens. You can probably just high pass everything and still match in the big 4. But more than that, I'm more concerned about the fact that you're worrying about this to this degree. Honestly with a 270, good extracurrics and mostly honors, somewhere in the back of your mind you must know that you're an exceptional candidate (and if you don't then this is a separate issue to deal with altogether) and yet you still worry? Honestly over the years I have begun to realize that worry is a finite resource, much like the allotment of space in a clown car. The more your worry, the more clowns begin to mash into that tiny little car, the less space you have to concern yourself with other, often more important things. Worry is like a clown car. Don't let this clown into the clown car.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
^ Not a troll post, sorry. School this semester feels much different from before with a lot of stuff happening over break, so it's hard to feel 100% invested in it like I did in the past. Haven't talked to advisor yet after deciding on IM and thought it would be easier to just post on here. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably seek out some advice from the PD/advisors here.

^ Not a troll post, sorry. School this semester feels much different from before with a lot of stuff happening over break, so it's hard to feel 100% invested in it like I did in the past. Haven't talked to advisor yet after deciding on IM and thought it would be easier to just post on here. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably seek out some advice from the PD/advisors here.

I would recommend you not bring your "concerns" to any advisor or PD. You can however express to the PD that you're interested in staying.

Thanks so much for a very real response. It's tough getting input on here coming from a Carib school (despite having the scores and stuff) because it is an uphill battle. And of course trying to be realistic as well with these programs that are "okay" for many AMG's but rather difficult for the rest. Cards is definitely the end goal but what I'll do with that doesn't require Brigham and 1000 papers haha.

Final question: Any comments on the regional bias in regards to what the student is putting down as the permanent address in ERAS? I've heard that NJ/PA/Mass are three tough states for those not from the northeast. And comparably so California favors their own. I have the opportunity to place either an east or west coast address as my permanent. Thoughts on whether I should risk some programs on the east coast for the slim chance of a solid CA slot, or just forgo the CA residencies and stick to east coast. (Location isn't important, just looking at maximizing my chances for a solid program).

Appreciate all the helps guys!

I have my doubt the permanent address is going to have a major effect on your app. It may help somewhere in your PS to note a personal connection to the state of interest but beyond that I can't imagine it's helpful. Best of luck!

I have my doubt the permanent address is going to have a major effect on your app. It may help somewhere in your PS to note a personal connection to the state of interest but beyond that I can't imagine it's helpful. Best of luck!

That's good to hear. Cheers!

I realize this is for matching in general, but instead of making a new thread, I'm hoping to ask a program-specific WAMC question:

Jefferson is my top choice for residency, but I'd be happy to be taken anywhere in Philly (since I've lived near Philly all my life). My ultimate goal is a Cards fellowship.

My main concern is whether doing an away rotation (probably a sub-I) at Jeff would be worth it (assuming that I do well). Or would I be one of those applicants that, even if I do well, I just don't have the stats to make it into the program (thus they wouldn't even give me an interview, or give me a courtesy one and deny me). If the latter is the case, I'd want to use that month to do an away somewhere else that may accept me.

USMLE Step 1- mid 220's
Class rank: unsure (likely in the middle 1/3)
Honors: still in M3, undetermined
Research: 2 poster presentations in med school, 1 abstract submitted to ACP, 1 paper submitted to cardio journal, 2 other projects being worked on
Extracurrics: moderately-involved (officer position of 2 clubs, attended AMA conferences, decent volunteer work, etc)

What I think might make Jeff unrealistic for me is my average Step 1 score (though ideally I plan to offset that with honor'ing most/all of M3 rotations and a jump in Step 2 score). But am I completely out of the ballpark?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Doing away rotations got me a couple of interviews at schools that I don't have the stats for. Definitely do it. Work hard, and impress them with what you have to offer!

Current MS3 here.

School: DO school in NY
Step 1: 261
COMLEX: 742 (99th percentile)
Class rank: #2
AOA: SSP (DO equivalent)
Preclinical: GPA = 3.92
Clerkships: A's in all clerkships thus far
Research: 2 first authors under review, 1 second author under review, 1 first author published before med school, 2 book chapters, 11 abstracts, few research scholarships and awards
Activities: A good amount of leadership, tutoring; community service

Interested in university based program in Northeast... suggestions?

Current MS3 here.

School: DO school in NY
COMLEX: 742 (99th percentile)
Class rank: #2
AOA: SSP (DO equivalent)
Preclinical: GPA = 3.92
Clerkships: A's in all clerkships thus far
Research: 2 first authors under review, 1 second author under review, 1 first author published before med school, 2 book chapters, 11 abstracts, few research scholarships and awards
Activities: A good amount of leadership, tutoring; community service

Interested in university based program in Northeast... suggestions?

Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, RWJ, Georgetown, GWU, VCU, Yale Primary Care, Rutgers NJMS, Northwell, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, UConn, Rochester, UVa, Brown, UMass, UPenn Primary Care

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Med School: DO school (edit: in Midwest)
Step 1: 216
COMLEX: 556 (above avg but w/i 1 st dev)
Step 2 & level 2: Scheduled
AOA: Nope
Class rank: top 30%
Research: none
3rd year: not finished but basically all P with H in OB/GYN (No HP at our school)
Extracurrics: solid, nothing special

Looking for allopathic IM (goal = hospitalist) in Midwest (Missouri-centric). Obviously community is fine. (Even if COULD get into low tier academic somehow, should I even try if I don't want a fellowship?)

Where should I apply?

How many programs should I apply to? 30? 50? 70?

(Edited to add a question and location of school)

Last edited:
Med School: DO school
Step 1: 216
COMLEX: 556 (above avg but w/i 1 st dev)
Step 2 & level 2: Scheduled
AOA: Nope
Class rank: top 30%
Research: none
3rd year: not finished but basically all P with H in OB/GYN (No HP at our school)
Extracurrics: solid, nothing special

Looking for allopathic categorical IM (goal = hospitalist) in Midwest (Missouri-centric). Obviously community is fine. (Even if COULD get into low tier academic somehow, should I even try if I don't want a fellowship?)

Where should I apply?

How many programs should I apply to? 30? 50? 70?

Based on my experience this year (slightly better profile than yours, just a smidge), your score is competitive enough to get you into the lower-tier university programs, especially in the midwest. Community programs will definitely love to have you too. There is a regional bias if your school is not located in the midwest so I would reach out to the PDs of programs that you are really interested in early and let them know you're interested.

I applied pretty broadly (like 60+) and had more than enough interviews to pick and choose the ones that I wanted. That's a better situation than applying less broadly and being forced to go on interviews at places that you wouldn't go to in the first place because you don't have enough programs to rank to match.

Reactions: 3 users
School: DO in the South
COMLEX: 753
Step 2: Planned for July
AOA: Not for us
Class rank: #4
Research: 1 research scholarship with 2 poster presentations
3rd year: All As so far
Extracurricular activities: Paid tutor for multiple courses
LOR: Community + hopefully from an academic Sub I.

Looking for university programs to maximize fellowship opportunities. Definitely will apply broadly but hoping to get back to the West Coast to practice. Any opinions on Arizona, New Mexico, or Cali programs?

Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, RWJ, Georgetown, GWU, VCU, Yale Primary Care, Rutgers NJMS, Northwell, Stony Brook, Dartmouth, UConn, Rochester, UVa, Brown, UMass, UPenn Primary Care
Thanks!
Any thoughts on JHU-Bayview, UMD, Cleveland and NYC?

Thanks!

JHU-Bayview: small program, phenomenal faculty and leadership, perfect if focus is primary care, good also if considering fellowship at Hopkins as many stay on
UMD: solid university program (not midtown campus), many be stronger than Bayview in terms of autonomy, volume, pathology, but lacks benefit of JHU association
Cleveland?
NYC?
Not sure what programs you are talking about.

JHU-Bayview: small program, phenomenal faculty and leadership, perfect if focus is primary care, good also if considering fellowship at Hopkins as many stay on
UMD: solid university program (not midtown campus), many be stronger than Bayview in terms of autonomy, volume, pathology, but lacks benefit of JHU association
Cleveland?
NYC?
Not sure what programs you are talking about.
I was curious about DO friendliness ( Step 1 - 261, strong academic record, v. strong research) at JHU-Bayview, UMD. As for Cleveland - Cleveland Clinic, CWRU. As for NYC, I know Columbia, Cornell, NYU are untouchable for me, but was wondering about other University-cased programs: Sinai, Einstein, SUNY Downstate

I was curious about DO friendliness ( Step 1 - 261, strong academic record, v. strong research) at JHU-Bayview, UMD. As for Cleveland - Cleveland Clinic, CWRU. As for NYC, I know Columbia, Cornell, NYU are untouchable for me, but was wondering about other University-cased programs: Sinai, Einstein, SUNY Downstate

Quite sure Bayview, UMD, CWRU, Sinai and Einstein don't take DOs.

Cleveland clinic is DO friendly and a pretty good option for a DO. Though it is essentially a fellow-run community hospital.

Stay away from SUNY downstate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks!

Bayview is a solid program and the Hopkins affiliation helps a lot with fellowship. However as someone who knows people that graduated from it, it's an extremely political and image savvy place so you may run into some of that nonsense and stuff there. Would just keep that in mind. Can PM for details.

UMD is a phenomenal clinical training program with an excellent fellowship match. Less money perhaps compared to Hopkins but otherwise basically is identical in training in terms of resident autonomy, pathology, etc. Lot of fellows and faculty actually come from Hopkins as well.

Cleveland Clinic is a solid program but is very very fellow run. Match for fellowship is actually pretty good otherwise and residents are happy.

Of those, only CC takes DOs as far as I'm aware.

an MS3 strongly considering IM and cardiology after completing IM clerkship.
Mid-tier MD school in NE.
Step 1-245
Third year-HP in IM, FM, and Ped. Pass in OB and psych. Surgery pending.
Research-1 pub prior to med school. currently trying to start a research project in cardiology.
My preference would be to do residency in the areas around NYC. My goal is to stay on the east coast, not necessarily in one particular state or city. What are some programs with good cardiology fellowship match should I consider strongly?

Thanks alot!

an MS3 strongly considering IM and cardiology after completing IM clerkship.
Mid-tier MD school in NE.
Step 1-245
Third year-HP in IM, FM, and Ped. Pass in OB and psych. Surgery pending.
Research-1 pub prior to med school. currently trying to start a research project in cardiology.
My preference would be to do residency in the areas around NYC. My goal is to stay on the east coast, not necessarily in one particular state or city. What are some programs with good cardiology fellowship match should I consider strongly?

Thanks alot!

Sinai
Nyu
Cornell
Columbia
Monte
Yale
Rwj
Nslij

If you're willing to go to Philly and Boston you can add a bunch more programs

Bu
Tufts
Brown
Mgh/bid/bwh
Upenn
Temple
Jefferson

There are a good mix of reaches and safeties in this list. You should be able to tell which is which

I am not actually familiar with the competitiveness of IM residencies. Going into third year, i was thinking mostly surgical residencies. Obviously, I know MGH/BID/BWH, Columbia..etc are reaches. If you can break it down programs where I have legitimate shot at, I would really appreciate it!

Reach
I am not actually familiar with the competitiveness of IM residencies. Going into third year, i was thinking mostly surgical residencies. Obviously, I know MGH/BID/BWH, Columbia..etc are reaches. If you can break it down programs where I have legitimate shot at, I would really appreciate it!

Reaches
Columbia
Bwh/mgh/bid
Upenn
Cornell

Targets

Higher tier
Yale
Sinai
Nyu

Mid tier
Monte
Jefferson
BU
Tufts
Rwj
Brown

Safety
Nslij
Temple

Some of the above are interchangeable but I think most would agree

Agreed for most part. Your step1 score should open the door for the "midtiers" and "safeties" (I personally would consider all midtier after my interviews-just depends on what you want out of career and where you want to live)

As for above that, it depends on what else you have going on. 245 on step1 is good but its honestly not impressive enough to get you "higher tier" and up alone. Its a myth in medical school that IM is not as competitive as so and so specialty when it comes to programs in nyc or in favorable cities.

Not honoring medicine will hurt you for those bigger name programs. Of course you can be redeemed by step2ck bump, pedigree, and having AOA/PhD<--ah duh.

Just want to give you some brutal truth Ive learned from the collective experience of those I know matching into IM this season. (Many have better stats than those who have interviewed for "competitive" specialties at major players along the east coast.)

Agreed for most part. Your step1 score should open the door for the "midtiers" and "safeties" (I personally would consider all midtier after my interviews-just depends on what you want out of career and where you want to live)

As for above that, it depends on what else you have going on. 245 on step1 is good but its honestly not impressive enough to get you "higher tier" and up alone. Its a myth in medical school that IM is not as competitive as so and so specialty when it comes to programs in nyc or in favorable cities.

Not honoring medicine will hurt you for those bigger name programs. Of course you can be redeemed by step2ck bump, pedigree, and having AOA/PhD<--ah duh.

Just want to give you some brutal truth Ive learned from the collective experience of those I know matching into IM this season. (Many have better stats than those who have interviewed for "competitive" specialties at major players along the east coast.)

Agree with all the above.

Thanks a lot for your responses! Does a spot in high tier give a significant advantage over mid tier in getting a cardiology fellowship spot down the road? I am not looking for an academic career in a big name institution. Although I am interested in research, I am more interested in a career in a community setting with busy practice.

This is SDN so if you're not going to a "big name" then you are an inferior human being and deserve to scramble into pathology.

In all seriousness of course you should try to go to the best residency possible. However if there's a mid or upper middle tier place which you really like there's no reason you shouldn't rank it. Usually it will help you just fine in getting cardiology fellowship. You should look at prior match lists and see what their record is for each program. As long as you have good letters and research of some sort you'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
This is SDN so if you're not going to a "big name" then you are an inferior human being and deserve to scramble into pathology.

In all seriousness of course you should try to go to the best residency possible. However if there's a mid or upper middle tier place which you really like there's no reason you shouldn't rank it. Usually it will help you just fine in getting cardiology fellowship. You should look at prior match lists and see what their record is for each program. As long as you have good letters and research of some sort you'll be fine.

hahaha don't hate on pathology. pathologists are wicked smart. Goljan trained as a pathologist! so did the endearingly-accented Dr. Lionel Raymon :)

hahaha don't hate on pathology. pathologists are wicked smart. Goljan trained as a pathologist! so did the endearingly-accented Dr. Lionel Raymon :)

Oh I have the utmost respect for pathologists haha. Without Goljan where would I be?

It will be easier to match into a "top tier" residency spot from a "top tier" IM program. However, if your favorite program is, say, Boston University, and you love the culture there, there's no reason to believe you wouldn't be able to match into one of their cardiology spots if you wanted to. If you look at the match list for Boston University for cardiology, you'll see that, similarly, they're matching into cardiology spots regularly, often at competitive institutions and/or competitive locations.

Rinse and repeat this investigation for any IM programs, and you'll have a good idea of where you'd stand in terms of your ability to get into a subspecialty with one exception - if people just aren't going into that fellowship. In that case, you'd have to do some more investigation.

Reactions: 2 users
It will be easier to match into a "top tier" residency spot from a "top tier" IM program. However, if your favorite program is, say, Boston University, and you love the culture there, there's no reason to believe you wouldn't be able to match into one of their cardiology spots if you wanted to. If you look at the match list for Boston University for cardiology, you'll see that, similarly, they're matching into cardiology spots regularly, often at competitive institutions and/or competitive locations.

Rinse and repeat this investigation for any IM programs, and you'll have a good idea of where you'd stand in terms of your ability to get into a subspecialty with one exception - if people just aren't going into that fellowship. In that case, you'd have to do some more investigation.

No disagreements here - generally speaking also it's worth looking at trend more so than any individual year. If there's the past 5-10 years of people not going into a particular fellowship then you have a problem even if the past year two people did match.

Ultimately a lot is also dependent on where you fit in. I hated the malignant personalities at some "better" programs when I interviewed so I ranked them lower.

I went to a Caribbean med school not the big ones. I'm a US citizen.
I got a 240 on Step 1.
I got a 246 on Step 2.
I was valedictorian for pre-clinical years, got on presidents list.
I have all honors grades (90+) in my core rotations.
I do not have a bachelor degree, started in Caribbean from pre-med.
I do not have any publications or research currently.
I can probably get some decent LOR not sure yet though.
I start MS4/elective rotations in a few months.

What are my chances for matching in 2017? Do I have enough time to boost my application before applying?What would be the best steps to take in my situation to having a good shot at matching without a degree, in Internal Medicine at a decent hospital?

Appreciate honest answers if I forgot anything obvious let me know.

I went to a Caribbean med school not the big ones. I'm a US citizen.
I got a 240 on Step 1.
I got a 246 on Step 2.
I was valedictorian for pre-clinical years, got on presidents list.
I have all honors grades (90+) in my core rotations.
I do not have a bachelor degree, started in Caribbean from pre-med.
I do not have any publications or research currently.
I can probably get some decent LOR not sure yet though.
I start MS4/elective rotations in a few months.

What are my chances for matching in 2017? Do I have enough time to boost my application before applying?What would be the best steps to take in my situation to having a good shot at matching without a degree, in Internal Medicine at a decent hospital?

Appreciate honest answers if I forgot anything obvious let me know.
If you are interested in IM, this should probably be moved to the WAMC thread in the subforum.

Hi everybody,

I wasn't able to secure a H in Medicine and got a HP. I assume this significantly impacts my ability to match at a Top 15 institution but I'd like to get advice from attendings/residents first-hand.

School-Top 50
Step 1: 255
Step 2: TBD
Preclinicals: All H except 2 P
Clinicals: H in Surgery, Peds, and OB ; HP in Medicine, Psych, and Family Medicine
AOA: unlikely
Quintile: Top 20%
Research: 1 paper 2nd author, 3 presentations at national conferences, 4 abstracts

I sort of got screwed w/ my Medicine rotation. I was shipped off to a notoriously malignant clinical site where they don't Honor anybody and the clerkship/teaching honestly sucks. My Dean told me that she would include this in the letter and say that this IM grade is not characteristic of my caliber as a student when compared to the rest of the body of work. Not sure how much this helps.

Would it matter if I killed my Sub-I and Step 2 because I'm confident I'll be able to do these things.

Specifically also, what do you think my chances of matching at programs such as:
Cornell, Columbia, Mt. Sinai, NYU, UPenn, Northwestern, Uchicago, Yale, BID, MGH, BW?

Thanks so much in advance!

You'll be fine, keep calm and continue to do well. No need to stress now, rock your sub-I and have your Step 2 ready when applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I find out about my match week, but in my short experience so far I've learnt that while a HP in medicine isn't ideal it's probably not a complete deal breaker either (part of the whole). Your Step 1 is fantastic. Kick ass on your Sub-I and CK, and you will likely be fine.

You can explain it if it comes up, and your dean is putting it in your MSPE anyway so.

I find out about my match week, but in my short experience so far I've learnt that while a HP in medicine isn't ideal it's probably not a complete deal breaker either (part of the whole). Your Step 1 is fantastic. Kick ass on your Sub-I and CK, and you will likely be fine.

You can explain it if it comes up, and your dean is putting it in your MSPE anyway so.

I would agree with that. It could keep you out of some places, like the BWH/MGH/UCSF of the world, but believe it or not, you can still be a doctor if you don't train there. You should definitely get an H for the sub-i though.

Also, you will be surprised at some of the places you will and will not be invited to interview. Meaning, getting invited at one amazing place does not mean other places that are as "prestigious" or even places less so, will invite you. That is just to say, apply broadly within your geographic limitations (if you have any) and hope for the best.

MS3 from a mid-tier US school wanting to get a feel going forward where I may stand, and whether it is advisable to do away rotations if I am keen on a certain program.

Preclinical: mostly pass, some high pass
Step 1: 225
Clinical: HP across the board
Research: Was a research coordinator for a while
- 3 years of qualitative primary care research prior to medical school at a large academic institution
- Published three times - JAMA, Journal of Int Med

I am ideally looking at academic programs and am open to location. Leaning towards the mountain west and west coast. I know it may be a stretch but do you think I have a reasonable chance at Colorado, USC, UCLA-Harbor?

Last edited:
Med school rank: Top 10
USMLE Step 1: 259, Step 2 CK: 271, Step 2 CK: Pass
AOA: Yes
Honors: Honors in all clerkships, honors in Sub I and all electives
Research: Year out for research with 3-4 publications (including 2 first author), also poster presentation from first year, and poster presentation from before medical school
Recommendations: From 2 sub I attendings and from research mentors
Extracurriculars: Leader of specialty interest group, medical education group, cultural affinity group, tutoring, teaching

Interested in cards or pulm/CC

Programs List:

Brigham
MGH
UCSF
Hopkins
Penn
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
BID
Jefferson
Yale
UChicago
Northwestern
UWash

What are my chances at these places? How many schools should I plan on applying to? Suggestions for good programs to add or take off? Thanks so much for all of your input!

Med school rank: Top 10
USMLE Step 1: 259, Step 2 CK: 271, Step 2 CK: Pass
AOA: Yes
Honors: Honors in all clerkships, honors in Sub I and all electives
Research: Year out for research with 3-4 publications (including 2 first author), also poster presentation from first year, and poster presentation from before medical school
Recommendations: From 2 sub I attendings and from research mentors
Extracurriculars: Leader of specialty interest group, medical education group, cultural affinity group, tutoring, teaching

Interested in cards or pulm/CC

Programs List:

Brigham
MGH
UCSF
Hopkins
Penn
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
BID
Jefferson
Yale
UChicago
Northwestern
UWash

What are my chances at these places? How many schools should I plan on applying to? Suggestions for good programs to add or take off? Thanks so much for all of your input!

How have you done all clerkships, electives, and sub-i + step 2 and not be in this application cycle?

How have you done all clerkships, electives, and sub-i + step 2 and not be in this application cycle?

Sorry if I didn't specify - year out for research! Finishing research up and getting focused toward applying in the fall

Sorry if I didn't specify - year out for research! Finishing research up and getting focused toward applying in the fall
Gotcha. Honestly, you should apply broadly, consider applying to rural FM programs as back up. I would try to explain your grades in your PS and will probably have clarify why you wasted time writing papers.
If you truly feel like you need to ask about this, then your CV is quite surprising.

Gotcha. Honestly, you should apply broadly, consider applying to rural FM programs as back up. I would try to explain your grades in your PS and will probably have clarify why you wasted time writing papers.
If you truly feel like you need to ask about this, then your CV is quite surprising.

That was decidedly less helpful than what I was hoping. I am trying to think about how many programs I should apply to. Also, everyone says the top programs are a crapshoot for everyone, but I'm wondering do I have a 25% chance of an interview? 50%? 75%? higher?
Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but I imagine someone who has seen other student through this process can provide a better estimate than I can.

Last edited:
That was decidedly less helpful than what I was hoping. I am trying to think about how many programs I should apply to. Also, everyone says the top programs are a crapshoot for everyone, but I'm wondering do I have a 25% chance of an interview? 50%? 75%? higher?

Again, if you need to ask this, then your app would be very surprising.
No one can tell you a percentage for any program. Is this surprising? Really?
What if I said 30%? or 98%? Does it matter?
You're asking us to comment on an event that will take place one year from now that will be decided by a number of individuals that aren't us.
Obviously, someone who comes from a good school, with great grades and a great CV will do very well... Can't really quantify that.

As far as number of programs. Given how top heavy your list is, the number of programs you listed is probably appropriate with a couple more less competitive ones thrown in there. You can always decline invitations once you have enough ie 8-12. Clearly, with that application, you're poised to do well in the process and that is about as useful as any of these comments is going to get.

My only other suggestion would be to get a sense for what those programs are great at. For example BID is very different from MGH and BWH. More focused on education, less on scientific pursuits (not that it isn't at all). Yale is apparently fantastic for primary care, but has other weakness. So and so forth. So decide what you think your goals are and put a list together on that rather than rankings/names (not to say that these thing have 0 correlation).

Last edited:
Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but I imagine someone who has seen other student through this process can provide a better estimate than I can.

I would recommend applying to 20 or so programs initially.

Your app doesn't really have a weak point. Great steps, AOA, lots of research=I think you'll get interviews at a greater than 50% clip even in the "top tier". Still, I'd apply to 20 or so and start withdrawing your app after you've got 10 interviews scheduled.

You probably won't need 10 interviews from a matching standpoint, but listen you'll get unmatched anxiety and go on too many interviews like everyone else. It will just happen. I met strong candidates on the trail on their 15th+ interview. Poor devils. They'll probably match at #1 or 2.

Disclaimer: I don't really know anything. You asked for numbers so I tried to supply them. My experience (with high step scores but no research at all): Among alleged top tier schools I only applied to UCSF (reject) and U Wash (interview). Research becomes really important at that level, I believe.