This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Med school rank: Top 10
USMLE Step 1: 259, Step 2 CK: 271, Step 2 CK: Pass
AOA: Yes
Honors: Honors in all clerkships, honors in Sub I and all electives
Research: Year out for research with 3-4 publications (including 2 first author), also poster presentation from first year, and poster presentation from before medical school
Recommendations: From 2 sub I attendings and from research mentors
Extracurriculars: Leader of specialty interest group, medical education group, cultural affinity group, tutoring, teaching

Interested in cards or pulm/CC

Programs List:

Brigham
MGH
UCSF
Hopkins
Penn
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
BID
Jefferson
Yale
UChicago
Northwestern
UWash

What are my chances at these places? How many schools should I plan on applying to? Suggestions for good programs to add or take off? Thanks so much for all of your input!

I had basically the same application as you, you'll likely get interviews from every program listed here (Brigham cares more about letters of rec and screens differently so this one may depend on the quality of your letters). I'd check out Stanford too though it looks like you have an east coast bias.

Members don't see this ad.

That was decidedly less helpful than what I was hoping. I am trying to think about how many programs I should apply to. Also, everyone says the top programs are a crapshoot for everyone, but I'm wondering do I have a 25% chance of an interview? 50%? 75%? higher?
Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but I imagine someone who has seen other student through this process can provide a better estimate than I can.

Why exactly do you think anyone can quantify exactly what your chances are? This is an obtuse process which has little transparency and changes dramatically from year to year.

You go to a top 10 school and are clearly the top of the class there. This should not even be a concern in terms of matching one of the programs on your list. As someone who didn't go to a top school, was not AOA, and had a good step 1 but not much in the way of publications and STILL matched my top choice school, you can understand why some of us find your concerns irritating.

Ultimately you'll have plenty of doors open and your application and where you choose to go depends largely on YOUR career goals. So we can't provide definitive information because you have to figure it out based on your own experiences with the process.

Reactions: 1 user
I figured I'd get ahead of this one as I fear that "winter is coming".

Since every conceivable WAMC question has already been asked and answered, let's just leave this here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious about DO friendliness ( Step 1 - 261, strong academic record, v. strong research) at JHU-Bayview, UMD. As for Cleveland - Cleveland Clinic, CWRU. As for NYC, I know Columbia, Cornell, NYU are untouchable for me, but was wondering about other University-cased programs: Sinai, Einstein, SUNY Downstate

Quite sure Bayview, UMD, CWRU, Sinai and Einstein don't take DOs.

Cleveland clinic is DO friendly and a pretty good option for a DO. Though it is essentially a fellow-run community hospital.

Stay away from SUNY downstate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Bayview will take DOs. A few years ago one of their chiefs was a DO.

MS3 from a mid-tier US school wanting to get a feel going forward where I may stand, and whether it is advisable to do away rotations if I am keen on a certain program.

Preclinical: mostly pass, some high pass
Step 1: 225
Clinical: HP across the board
Research: Was a research coordinator for a while
- 3 years of qualitative primary care research prior to medical school at a large academic institution
- Published three times - JAMA, Journal of Int Med

I am ideally looking at academic programs and am open to location. Leaning towards the mountain west and west coast. I know it may be a stretch but do you think I have a reasonable chance at Colorado, USC, UCLA-Harbor?

Where are you on those publications? If youre a first author, that will be huge. If you are looking to do research, this could help you a lot and match well beyond your grades. Your chances for Colorado, USC, and UCLA are reasonable but realize if they focus on your academics (which are average) rather than your research, you may struggle as these are in competitive locations. Obviously apply broadly both above and below these places.

If you are looking to do research and your JAMA/J Int Med publications are first author or high author, add a one or two programs to shoot for the moon (JHH, MGH, Stanford or UCSF) to see if they bite. Occasionally, for someone who has shown very strong aptitude for research, they will allow less than stellar academic stats.

That was decidedly less helpful than what I was hoping. I am trying to think about how many programs I should apply to. Also, everyone says the top programs are a crapshoot for everyone, but I'm wondering do I have a 25% chance of an interview? 50%? 75%? higher?
Obviously no one can tell me for sure, but I imagine someone who has seen other student through this process can provide a better estimate than I can.

Unless you are as douchy in real life as your internet persona leads me to believe you are, you will match one of your top programs. Just by how insufferable you are, I am going to guess it is going to be MGH or The Brigham. Please PM me after the match to let me know I was right.

In all seriousness, realize that no one can predict perfectly. Even MGH a few years back couldn't and told a lot of people they would match there who didn't. Every year is a little different. I'd add one or two more programs on the level of Jefferson just for safety's sake. I suspect you will get interviews at 50-75% of the top programs and perhaps even more. Provided you don't stab the program director's secretary on interview day, you should be able to coast on your academic credentials alone.

Hello!

I am a rising 4th year from north east. I have 589 Comlex Level 1 , 222 in USMLE step 1.
I would like to get into a internal medicine program in north east.
Any suggestions about what programs are great and where would I be competitive?

Thanks!!

I'm a non-US IMG with
Step 1: 267
Step 2 CK: 265
Step 2 CS: passed
YOG: 2016 (Applying for Match' 17)
Top 1% of my medical class
1 month clinical elective; 1 month clinical observership; 6 months of research electives in the US
6 pubmed indexed publications (2 from the US, the rest from my home country).
What are my realistic chances of getting an IM residency in one of the Top 10-20 programs?

I'm a non-US IMG with
Step 1: 267
Step 2 CS: passed
YOG: 2016 (Applying for Match' 17)
Top 1% of my medical class
1 month clinical elective; 1 month clinical observership; 6 months of research electives in the US
6 pubmed indexed publications (2 from the US, the rest from my home country).
What are my realistic chances of getting an IM residency in one of the Top 10-20 programs?
Getting an IM residency? Pretty good.
Top 10? Not great.

You've got the barest minimum of USCE. You're going to need a visa. Your Step scores are fine. Your pubs are good but unless one of them is a first author NEJM, they're not that helpful.

Pick 10 "Top" programs to apply to...and 90 others. You'll match somewhere.

Hello!

I am a rising 4th year from north east. I have 589 Comlex Level 1 , 222 in USMLE step 1.
I would like to get into a internal medicine program in north east.
Any suggestions about what programs are great and where would I be competitive?

Thanks!!

Any of the programs associated with state schools (SUNYs, UConn, UMass), Albany and the community programs. Unfortunately it's pretty rough for DOs in the northeast, especially if you don't stand out.

First time poster, don't be too tough.
It's not only WAMC, since i would like some advice about programs.
A little background: I'm a South American IMG currently in med school (5th year/6). I gave step one this year and got 265. I do not have a major research background. At the moment i'm doing my first clinical research in critical care, probably co-author, maybe 1st author, but it's a research that will take some time and i won't have time to many more researches or papers till application. Maybe one more. Lets assume that i won't make major mistakes on step 2 CK and CS. I'm not a visa holder. I'm a pulm/cc hopeful, and i'm not planning to go to the academic route. I would like to have a good trainning at a medium-large city.
Edit: i'm planning to do 2 months of clerkships- UT houston and Mayo and 2 observeships- UTSW and Upitts ( they dont take imgs for clerkships, unfortunetely).
Given all that, what do you guys think are my chances at two programs i like a lot: UPMC and UTSW? Heard U Colorado hardly takes IMGs, but i'd like to know if someone has any insights about it.
Additionaly, for family reasons, Texas is a specially desirable place for me. How good and WAMC in the other programs in there? UT-Houston, UT San Antonio etc. Any other programs that you guys think, outside of Texas, that would be desirable and realistic for me? Should i aim for what sort of tier?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
First time poster, don't be too tough.
It's not only WAMC, since i would like some advice about programs.
A little background: I'm a South American IMG currently in med school (5th year/6). I gave step one this year and got 265. I do not have a major research background. At the moment i'm doing my first clinical research in critical care, probably co-author, maybe 1st author, but it's a research that will take some time and i won't have time to many more researches or papers till application. Maybe one more. Lets assume that i won't make major mistakes on step 2 CK and CS. I'm not a visa holder. I'm a pulm/cc hopeful, and i'm not planning to go to the academic route. I would like to have a good trainning at a medium-large city.
Edit: i'm planning to do 2 months of clerkships- UT houston and Mayo and 2 observeships- UTSW and Upitts ( they dont take imgs for clerkships, unfortunetely).
Given all that, what do you guys think are my chances at two programs i like a lot: UPMC and UTSW? Heard U Colorado hardly takes IMGs, but i'd like to know if someone has any insights about it.
Additionaly, for family reasons, Texas is a specially desirable place for me. How good and WAMC in the other programs in there? UT-Houston, UT San Antonio etc. Any other programs that you guys think, outside of Texas, that would be desirable and realistic for me? Should i aim for what sort of tier?
Thanks in advance.

Colorado doesn't like IMGs. You will find this is a common phenomenon at a lot of mid-tier programs as they are afraid to deter American applicants. UPMC has a designated International Scholars Track, they take maybe around 8 IMGs a year (mostly with substantial research experience). UTSW is quite IMG-friendly as well. They have maybe around 4-5 spots a year for outstanding IMGs. It will come down to how well you do in your US rotations (i.e., clerkships), the observerships are pretty much useless for purposes of your application. Do well, get LORs, get your CK and CS cleared before September 15, and network at the places you are about to visit. Any reason you don't like Mayo? Location, I assume? They take IMGs as well.

Those observerships are going to be worthless. Try to swap them for clerkships, even if it means doing them somewhere else.

And you should probably aim for programs not in the top 1/4. Feel free to spend the money on Pitt and Colorado but don't hold your breath or get worked up if you don't get an interview. Focus on programs in the midwest and Southeast. Apply to all the TX programs if that's really a good place for you and your family. Add the various programs in Louisiana and then go north from Texas until you hit Mayo and you'll have a very nice list of programs that will likely net you a great spot come Match day.

Thanks for the honest answers
Animalcules: My problem with mayo isnt rochester per se, its actually a geographical limitation of cities that have programs for diploma revalidation for internationally trained dentists ( girlfriend). I do understand that will make my life a lot harder. 1st rule of IMG matching: apply broadly and dont be overconfident. Unfortunately, i cannot apply as broadly as i wish.

Gutonc: im a little confused about clerk x observ. Since network is very important, at least thats what i heard, i thought doing observ in the places i hope to match would be better than doing clerkships in places that i cannot match. I have a contact at UPMC and he told me my chances there would increase greatly if i go there for an observeship. Ofc i could do 3m cleks and the observ there after. Please correct me if you think my thoughts are wrong about USCE.

Thanks for the honest answers
Animalcules: My problem with mayo isnt rochester per se, its actually a geographical limitation of cities that have programs for diploma revalidation for internationally trained dentists ( girlfriend). I do understand that will make my life a lot harder. 1st rule of IMG matching: apply broadly and dont be overconfident. Unfortunately, i cannot apply as broadly as i wish.

Gutonc: im a little confused about clerk x observ. Since network is very important, at least thats what i heard, i thought doing observ in the places i hope to match would be better than doing clerkships in places that i cannot match. I have a contact at UPMC and he told me my chances there would increase greatly if i go there for an observeship. Ofc i could do 3m cleks and the observ there after. Please correct me if you think my thoughts are wrong about USCE.

I would always prefer to gain more USCE instead of doing observerships. At the end of the day, you cannot expect useful LORs from observerships as they can hardly judge your clinical skill level. Also, the closer you can get to 6 months of USCE when you apply for residency, the better. Observerships won't count towards this. Networking is key, but if you can do a clerkship at Mayo, it would certainly be better than observing a fellow at UPMC.

WAMC:

very broadly applying upcoming cycle. GI hopeful, region doesn't matter, preference: academic (w/ fellowship) > community.

med school: low-tier MD in south
m1/m2 grades: mix of H/HP
step1: 236
step2cs/ck: pending
m3 grades: 1 H in peds, rest P, last rotation pending
LOR: 1 colorectal surgeon, 1 IM clerkship director, 1 IM associate PD of home prgm, 1 from IM chair at home prgm, hopefully 1 letter pending from each away
research: 2 1st author pubs in surgical subspecialty. multiple conference posters/oral presentations in same surgical subspecialty. 2-3 ongoing GI projects pending journal submission soon. undergrad national level presentations in obesity and metabolic syndrome.
aways: 1 rotation (GI) in Sept lined up, 1 hopefully pending for Aug
extracurriculars: specialty interest group leadership, school chapter for state medical board officer, free clinic

You will do just fine in your goal of matching to an academic program that sets you up well for fellowship.

Your step 1 is solid - when are you taking CK? (Don't think it's super important). Is your clinical year grading scheme tougher - ie how many get H vs HP vs P? That might matter, as they're somewhat lacking if P is reserved for the lowest performers like at some schools. Good research involvement. Good extracurriculars.

Apply broadly to a mix of good schools, safties, and reaches and you'll do just fine. Also, you can only add four letters to a program. Not sure how much the colorectal surgeon letter would help over more IM letters; same for the away letters. Only use them if you're very confident the person writing knows you very well and can vouch for you - if they're super well-known, that helps.

WAMC:
School: mid-tier MD on west coast
Step 1: 252
Step2cs/ck: 272
m3 grades: H in peds, IM and surg. rest P (no HP at my school)
LOR: ok, 1 peds doc, 1 IM doc and 1 from IM assistant director
research: minimal, 1 poster, 1 pending pub in neuro.
extracurriculars: work at free clinic, tutoring

Hoping to apply to north-east for family reasons, wondering if minimal research and extracurriculars will hurt me.
Thanks!

WAMC:
School: mid-tier MD on west coast
Step 1: 252
Step2cs/ck: 272
m3 grades: H in peds, IM and surg. rest P (no HP at my school)
LOR: ok, 1 peds doc, 1 IM doc and 1 from IM assistant director
research: minimal, 1 poster, 1 pending pub in neuro.
extracurriculars: work at free clinic, tutoring

Hoping to apply to north-east for family reasons, wondering if minimal research and extracurriculars will hurt me.
Thanks!

Your step scores are really good and will open doors. Your IM grade is also excellent. I'm sure you'll get bites at a lot of places. Would apply both to upper tier and mid tier broadly. Consider getting another IM letter of rec.

Just wanted to bump my original post to see if anyone had a response or suggestions on application strategy. I plan to apply for ~100 programs.

Original:
Trying to see what my chances are for I.M. (and what kind of programs are realistic for me):

Background -

Started med school in 2011 but took one year leave of absence for health reasons after just a couple days of class (didn't take any exams or anything).

Returned as part-time student the following year (did the part-time tract offered at our school due to on-going health and family reasons). Basically the way it works is your M1 year is taken over 2 years.

Did fine the Fall semester of M1 year 1.

I Failed anatomy class and histology class in Spring semester of M1 (year 1). Passed the make-up histology exam over summer. Failed the make-up anatomy exam.

Because I was part-time M1 anyway, I retook Anatomy during my M1 (year 2) (with the other classes I hadn't taken yet) and passed.

Would say my academic troubles end of first year highly related to medical and family issues on-going at the time. Which is why the school allowed me to simply retake anatomy with the second half of my outstanding M1 classes the next year (but technically counted as "repeat year" - though as explained, because it is a part-time program, I was already scheduled to take all of the other M1 courses in the upcoming year anyway).

Subsequently finished M1 and M2 with no academic problems after this. I have completed all M3 rotations thus far except Psychiatry.

M3 grades are: High Pass in Surgery (2nd highest grade below honors) and an Honors grade in my I.M. rotation. Still waiting on F.M., pediatrics, and OB/GYN grades (though I have completed these rotations).

M4 year starts in about 6 weeks.

USMLE Step I 225.
U.S. M.D. student at state M.D. school. Not a top 20 school or anything.
Very well-liked/personable and hard-working.
Medical/family issues previously stated have been resolved for the past 3.0 years.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

WAMC:
School: lower-tier MD on east coast. Top quartile of class, 3.8 GPA. AOA unsure but let's say no just in case.
Step 1: 224
Step2cs/ck: Haven't taken yet
m3 grades: H in IM
LOR: Haven't decided who to pick yet
research: 2-3 case reports, 2-3 retrospective cohort studies, 1-2 abstracts. Most are in trauma/surgical fields. I mostly just did whatever research I found. Currently in the process of doing a cardiology case report.

I am hoping to stay in the southeast if possible. Emory is my dream school so I can stay near my family since they live in Atlanta. Is this even possible with my step 1 score? Hopefully I can score 240+ on step 2ck. Should I do an away rotation at emory or is it a lost cause? what types of schools should I be focusing on? I would like to end up in cardiology.
Thanks!

WAMC:
School: lower-tier MD on east coast. Top quartile of class, 3.8 GPA. AOA unsure but let's say no just in case.
research: 2-3 case reports, 2-3 retrospective cohort studies, 1-2 abstracts. Most are in trauma/surgical fields. I mostly just did whatever research I found. Currently in the process of doing a cardiology case report.

I am hoping to stay in the southeast if possible. Emory is my dream school so I can stay near my family since they live in Atlanta. Is this even possible with my step 1 score? Hopefully I can score 240+ on step 2ck. Should I do an away rotation at emory or is it a lost cause? what types of schools should I be focusing on? I would like to end up in cardiology.
Thanks!

very doable. you have a great app minus the steps which really arent that bad

very doable. you have a great app minus the steps which really arent that bad

Thank you for the reply! Would you advise doing a rotation at emory? I'm not familiar with if it would do much good with my resume or not. I get along well with others and really try hard, but I'm not sure if they are a school that prefers rotators or if it would not be good to do because they don't care if you rotate there or not (and therefore I could only hurt my chances if I did anything wrong).

Last edited:
What Are My Chances:
School: Midwest top something school
Step 1: 254
Step2: Taking this summer
M3 grades: H in IM, Obgyn, Neurology, Family. HP in Surg, Peds, probably Psych.
AOA: Unlikely, very average student at my school.
LOR: 1 Chair's letter(composite type letter based off performance on medicine, should be strong). 1 from ONC attending(former chair, offered to write letter but good chance will be impersonal "big wig" type letter), +hopefully from MICU subI or elective this summer.
Research: minimal, 1 first author paper from undergrad work submitted will hopefully be accepted before I apply, 1 presentation at national conference in social sciences, 2 posters at local conferences from quality improvement work in medical school
Extracurriculars: Year off with masters public health related, some free clinic leadership, some minor institutional activities

Interested in primary care programs with eventual goal of primary care or ID. Hoping to go west(from California originally). Was told by advisor won't be competitive for Stanford based on previous students from our institution and UCSF is possible but big stretch. Chances at UWash, UCLA, OHSU, UCSD? Any other strong programs that way I should consider that will set me up for academic primary care or ID? Will probably also apply to east coast and a few midwest programs.

sorry.

Last edited:
^I would suspect you shouldn't have any trouble interviewing at many if not all those places. Be sure to apply of course to home institution :p

Hey all - as MS-IV year comes around - I would really appreciate any help on my list

Medical School: Top 25
USMLE Step 1: 259, Step 2: Not yet taken
AOA: we only do senior AOA at my school, and I am in contention (will find out in November)
Grades: Honors in all clerkships with exception of OB/GYN (High Pass)
Research: Heavily basic science. Prestigious year out fellowship (Sarnoff), third-author basic science manuscript, manuscript currently in progress, two oral presentations, several poster presentations, 1 book chapter in cardiology
Recommendations: Strong. 1 from home IM PD with strong reputation, 1 from cardiologist/research mentor. 1 from year-out Sarnoff Preceptor (internationally known basic scientist with a lot of clout)
Extracurriculars: nothing spectacular - histopath and anatomy tutoring, cardiology specialty group leader, etc. - most of my time spent on research

Very strong interest in cardiology (shocker haha)

Programs List:
MGH
BWH
BID
JHH
UCSF
Stanford
UW
Duke
Columbia
NYU
Penn
UTSW
Vanderbilt
UMichigan
UChicago
WashU
Northwestern
Case

Well you're screwed dude better apply to some low tier community backups.

Reactions: 1 users
What Are My Chances:
School:
Midwest top something school
LOR: 1 Chair's letter(composite type letter based off performance on medicine, should be strong). 1 from ONC attending(former chair, offered to write letter but good chance will be impersonal "big wig" type letter), +hopefully from MICU subI or elective this summer.
Research: minimal, 1 first author paper from undergrad work submitted will hopefully be accepted before I apply, 1 presentation at national conference in social sciences, 2 posters at local conferences from quality improvement work in medical school
Extracurriculars: Year off with masters public health related, some free clinic leadership, some minor institutional activities

Interested in primary care programs with eventual goal of primary care or ID. Hoping to go west(from California originally). Was told by advisor won't be competitive for Stanford based on previous students from our institution and UCSF is possible but big stretch. Chances at UWash, UCLA, OHSU, UCSD? Any other strong programs that way I should consider that will set me up for academic primary care or ID? Will probably also apply to east coast and a few midwest programs.

I suspect you'll be competitive for primary care programs at any of the places you listed. Stanford and UCSF categorical programs are long shots, the other places you listed are likely within reach. And almost any U.S. academic program will position you well for academic IM or ID!

Just wanted to bump my original post to see if anyone had a response or suggestions on application strategy. I plan to apply for ~100 programs.

Original:

take step 2 CK early and try to do the best you can. You may get some interviews at mid-tier programs in undesireable locations. Apply broadly. Because of your red flag, your interview invites will be harder to predict.

What Are My Chances:
School:
Top 20.... but not top 10.
Step 1: 250s
Step2: Should have score before apps go in
M3 grades: HP neuro, P surgery, all others honors including Medicine core, several non-IM electives, sub-I to come
AOA: 50/50.
LOR: 1 Chair's letter (composite), 1 from junior attending who knows me well, should be very strong (he's on the residency app review committee, told me he will write something that 'stands out'), 1 from "big wig"
Research: Weak spot for sure. 3 projects, 1 presentation, 3 pending presentations, should have 3 manuscripts drafted/submitted for publication by September, but nothing accepted
Extracurriculars: Lots of activities (through school, volunteer work in the community, hobbies etc). No one thing that is going to be impressive, but should at least demonstrate I do more than study.

Interested in academic programs in larger cities, ideally with multiple teaching hospitals (county, private). Haven't sat down to do any research yet so basing my prelim list based mostly on location and a little bit on reputation amongst peers at my school with a few definitely huge reaches just for fun.

Chances for: Big 3, Stanford, BID, Penn, Vanderbilt, UPMC, UW, UTSW, Northwestern, Colorado, OHSU, Baylor, Emory, Tulane?

Anything I can do at this point to strengthen my application?

Don't fail a clerkship? I mean, if that's considered "weak" research (I had one publication and no active research throughout med school) then you have some first world problems my friend.

What Are My Chances:
School:
Midwest top something school

Good chances. ID and primary care aren't competitive; from a university program you'll be competitive for either.

Hey all - as MS-IV year comes around - I would really appreciate any help on my list

Medical School: Top 25
USMLE Step 1: 259, Step 2: Not yet taken
AOA: we only do senior AOA at my school, and I am in contention (will find out in November)
Grades: Honors in all clerkships with exception of OB/GYN (High Pass)
Research: Heavily basic science. Prestigious year out fellowship (Sarnoff), third-author basic science manuscript, manuscript currently in progress, two oral presentations, several poster presentations, 1 book chapter in cardiology
Recommendations: Strong. 1 from home IM PD with strong reputation, 1 from cardiologist/research mentor. 1 from year-out Sarnoff Preceptor (internationally known basic scientist with a lot of clout)
Extracurriculars: nothing spectacular - histopath and anatomy tutoring, cardiology specialty group leader, etc. - most of my time spent on research

Very strong interest in cardiology (shocker haha)

Programs List:
MGH
BWH
BID
JHH
UCSF
Stanford
UW
Duke
Columbia
NYU
Penn
UTSW
Vanderbilt
UMichigan
UChicago
WashU
Northwestern
Case

Good chances at all given your near-perfect record; Big 4 will be difficult but are possible.
What Are My Chances:
School:
Top 20.... but not top 10.
Step 1: 250s
Step2: Should have score before apps go in
M3 grades: HP neuro, P surgery, all others honors including Medicine core, several non-IM electives, sub-I to come
AOA: 50/50.
LOR: 1 Chair's letter (composite), 1 from junior attending who knows me well, should be very strong (he's on the residency app review committee, told me he will write something that 'stands out'), 1 from "big wig"
Research: Weak spot for sure. 3 projects, 1 presentation, 3 pending presentations, should have 3 manuscripts drafted/submitted for publication by September, but nothing accepted
Extracurriculars: Lots of activities (through school, volunteer work in the community, hobbies etc). No one thing that is going to be impressive, but should at least demonstrate I do more than study.

Interested in academic programs in larger cities, ideally with multiple teaching hospitals (county, private). Haven't sat down to do any research yet so basing my prelim list based mostly on location and a little bit on reputation amongst peers at my school with a few definitely huge reaches just for fun.

Chances for: Big 3, Stanford, BID, Penn, Vanderbilt, UPMC, UW, UTSW, Northwestern, Colorado, OHSU, Baylor, Emory, Tulane?

Same as above; very similar applications. To strengthen, do more research; the groundwork is already done.

What Are My Chances:
School:
ranked 30-40th
Step 1: not great...mid-high 230s
Step2: taking in late Aug/Sept
M3 grades: all honors
AOA: possibly...50/50
LOR: This is one thing that I'm a bit concerned about. I had planned on going into another specialty and only recently decided to switch to IM, so I have not had time to form strong relationships with the academic IM attendings at my school yet. I should have 1 good letter from one of the IM dept chairs at a large community hospital nearby. I will also have a strong letter from one of the dept. chairs of another department at my school (but not IM, so not sure if this counts for much) as well as a letter from a FM preceptor I worked with over the course of 3 years.

Research: 2 poster presentations presented at national conferences during med school, 1 poster from before med school as well as a publication in a big-name journal (but I'm #6 on the author list). My research was not specifically in IM but is very applicable to IM/cardiology.

Extracurriculars: Lots of activities (through school, volunteer work, hobbies etc).

I know that the top academic programs will probably be a reach with my mediocre Step 1 score, but I'm interested in strong academic programs, preferably near decently sized cities.

What are my chances for:
-Likely reaches? Duke, Wash U, Michigan, Mayo, NYU, Pitt, Northwestern, UChicago, UCLA, UTSW, UAB, UVA
-Others: CWRU, Ohio State, IU, Wisconsin, Colorado, Rochester, IU, Boston, Tufts, Maryland

Last edited:
What Are My Chances:
School:
ranked 30-40th
Step 1: not great...mid-high 230s
Step2: taking in late Aug/Sept
M3 grades: all honors
AOA: possibly...50/50
LOR: This is one thing that I'm a bit concerned about. I had planned on going into another specialty and only recently decided to switch to IM, so I have not had time to form strong relationships with the academic IM attendings at my school yet. I should have 1 good letter from one of the IM dept chairs at a large community hospital nearby. I will also have a strong letter from one of the dept. chairs of another department at my school (but not IM, so not sure if this counts for much) as well as a letter from a FM preceptor I worked with over the course of 3 years.

Research: 2 poster presentations presented at national conferences during med school, 1 poster from before med school as well as a publication in a big-name journal (but I'm #6 on the author list). My research was not specifically in IM but is very applicable to IM/cardiology.

Extracurriculars: Lots of activities (through school, volunteer work, hobbies etc).

I know that the top academic programs will probably be a reach with my mediocre Step 1 score, but I'm interested in strong academic programs, preferably near decently sized cities.

What are my chances for:
-Likely reaches? Duke, Wash U, Michigan, Mayo, NYU, Pitt, Northwestern, UChicago, UCLA, UTSW, UAB, UVA
-Others: CWRU, Ohio State, IU, Wisconsin, Colorado, Rochester, IU, Boston, Tufts, Maryland

Most places accept 3-4 letters of recommendation, including your Department/Chair letter. Conventional wisdom would you should have 3 IM (including Dept/Chair) + 1 research/non-IM letter. You should take the community hospital IM department chair's letter, but probably pick only 1 of the 2 non-IM letters, whichever you think is stronger. Aim to get another IM letter from your Sub-I or an IM elective from the summer.

What Are My Chances:
School:
unranked
Step 1: 241
Step2: taking in late July/Aug
M3 grades: Honors in IM, Peds, path elective, HP neuro/psych, surgery, P in family; ob/gyn pending (upward trend in third year grades from P-->HP-->H last three rotations); honors all first and second year
AOA: lol
LOR; hopefully strong from IM attending, psych attending and peds attending. I was wondering if I should aim for a letter from my Sarnoff preceptor?

Research: M1-M2 summer--> 1 student conference presentation, one abstract, one 4th author pub in works, and one second author review article. all related to immunology. will be doing a Sarnoff research year before M4, so hopefully will have another pub before applying

Extracurriculars: none- weakest point of app
Red Flags- No academic or ethical red flags, but I'm a very shy, reserved person, and I have one or two comments in my evals which reflect this, and it's part of the reason my third year grades have been lackluster for the most part. I feel like this is going to be a problem when applying for residency.

List: thinking of staying in the OH-PA-MD region, bu not opposed to going east. I have family near Pittsburgh, and would like to be close to them. UPMC is my top choice, but I think it may be out of my reach at this point.

Penn- Penn State, Temple, Drexel, Allegheny, St Francis, Northeastern Pennsylvania Hospitals

Ohio- Ohio state, Case Western, U Cincinnati, Toledo, Cleveland Clinic, Akron, Riverside

Maryland- U Maryland, Hopkins-Bayview, GBMC, Sinai Hospital, Union Memorial

Fantasy programs: U Mich, UPMC, JHH,WashU, U Penn, MGH (I'll be doing research here next year, FWIW)

Questions:

1.) What other safety programs can I add? I know I need more.

2.) I would love to do a PSTP IM program--is this completely out of reach with my average research and lack of an MD-PhD?

3.) Since I have one year before applying, is there anything I can do about my lack of ECs at this point?

4.) What can I do about my too-quiet personality before interviewing? I feel like I may not match because of this problem.

Last edited:
What Are My Chances:
School:
unranked
Step 1: 241
Step2: taking in late July/Aug
M3 grades: Honors in IM, Peds, path elective, HP neuro/psych, surgery, P in family; ob/gyn pending (upward trend in third year grades from P-->HP-->H last three rotations); honors all first and second year
AOA: lol
LOR; hopefully strong from IM attending, psych attending and peds attending. I was wondering if I should aim for a letter from my Sarnoff preceptor?

Research: M1-M2 summer--> 1 student conference presentation, one abstract, one 4th author pub in works, and one second author review article. all related to immunology. will be doing a Sarnoff research year before M4, so hopefully will have another pub before applying

Extracurriculars: none- weakest point of app
Red Flags- No academic or ethical red flags, but I'm a very shy, reserved person, and I have one or two comments in my evals which reflect this, and it's part of the reason my third year grades have been lackluster for the most part. I feel like this is going to be a problem when applying for residency.

List: thinking of staying in the OH-PA-MD region, bu not opposed to going east. I have family near Pittsburgh, and would like to be close to them. UPMC is my top choice, but I think it may be out of my reach at this point.

Penn- Penn State, Temple, Drexel, Allegheny, St Francis, Northeastern Pennsylvania Hospitals

Ohio- Ohio state, Case Western, U Cincinnati, Toledo, Cleveland Clinic, Akron, Riverside

Maryland- U Maryland, Hopkins-Bayview, GBMC, Sinai Hospital, Union Memorial

Fantasy programs: U Mich, UPMC, JHH,WashU, U Penn, MGH (I'll be doing research here next year, FWIW)

Questions:

1.) What other safety programs can I add? I know I need more.

2.) I would love to do a PSTP IM program--is this completely out of reach with my average research and lack of an MD-PhD?

3.) Since I have one year before applying, is there anything I can do about my lack of ECs at this point?

4.) What can I do about my too-quiet personality before interviewing? I feel like I may not match because of this problem.

1. I think you have plenty of "safety" programs. Why is Jefferson not on your list?
2. Not sure why you want to do this. You can do plenty of research at any academic program, which is what you should focus on if you want research to be a significant part of your career
3. research is the only EC that matters
4. IM attracts lots of people who are "too quiet". The specialty is full of "nerds" after all. It certainly won't keep you from matching and as long as your LORs are solid and you appear to be a normal person at the interview

1. I think you have plenty of "safety" programs. Why is Jefferson not on your list?
2. Not sure why you want to do this. You can do plenty of research at any academic program, which is what you should focus on if you want research to be a significant part of your career
3. research is the only EC that matters
4. IM attracts lots of people who are "too quiet". The specialty is full of "nerds" after all. It certainly won't keep you from matching and as long as your LORs are solid and you appear to be a normal person at the interview

Thanks. I wanted to do IM PSTP because it gave me an opportunity to have protected research time, and an opportunity for a guaranteed fellowship placement (at least at some programs, like U Mich, which is my number two choice after UPMC). I'll add Jefferson.

Thanks. I wanted to do IM PSTP because it gave me an opportunity to have protected research time, and an opportunity for a guaranteed fellowship placement (at least at some programs, like U Mich, which is my number two choice after UPMC). I'll add Jefferson.

IM PSTP spots are quite competitive. Some programs only look at MD, PhD (stupid), but significant research experience and productivity is expected at most places. Many places do not guarantee fellowship, even if they make it seem that way.

WAMC:

Does anyone have any advice on away rotations for a step 1 in the mid 220s? Is it more harmful or helpful as an MD student. Also, could someone please help me create a list of decent places to apply to with my stats? I'm having a time figuring out what places I should apply for. Obviously the top tier places will probably screen me out. I just don't know decent programs I should be aiming for (especially since I want to do cardiology). Thank you!

It also extends your fellowship by a few years. I would highly recommend against doing it unless you know you want a research career.

Does anyone have any advice on away rotations for a step 1 in the mid 220s? Is it more harmful or helpful as an MD student. Also, could someone please help me create a list of decent places to apply to with my stats? I'm having a time figuring out what places I should apply for. Obviously the top tier places will probably screen me out. I just don't know decent programs I should be aiming for (especially since I want to do cardiology). Thank you!

You're gonna have to get this started based on geography and other program characteristics.

We're also gonna need more info like your class rank and school at the very least.

Away rotations are not recommended across the board in IM. If you're a superstar and crush a subI it may get you an interview but for the most part it makes no difference.

You're gonna have to get this started based on geography and other program characteristics.

We're also gonna need more info like your class rank and school at the very least.

Away rotations are not recommended across the board in IM. If you're a superstar and crush a subI it may get you an interview but for the most part it makes no difference.

Hi - Thank you for your response. I had my stats quoted: School: lower-tier MD on east coast. Top quartile of class, 3.8 GPA. AOA unsure but let's say no just in case.
LOR: Haven't decided who to pick yet. The chair of my home internal medicine program said he would be willing to write me one for sure which was nice.

If you saw those though, unfortunately I'm not sure how to get a better class rank for you. I can email someone and find out my exact standing though (we are only told what quartile we are in if you don't ask for specifics). I go to a state MD school that isn't a top ranked school. I do have a home program that is top 20 in the south in internal medicine through the hospital attached to the school if that helps at all (but no cards fellowship here).

I would like to stay in the southeast and will apply to Emory and my home program for sure. Honestly, I would ultimately like to set myself up for the best chances of matching into cardiology though (which outweighs my desire to stay in the southeast) so I don't mind applying throughout the nation. I know I won't match at Duke/Vandy but I thought I might just apply for the heck of it (unless you all think that would be a waste of money). Any advice with my stats would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
Need help with school list!

Step 1: 248
Step 2 CS: scheduled for September
School: unranked mid-tier MD school in the south
Third year clerkships: H in OBGYN, IM, family, peds, psych, neuro; HP in surgery
AOA: will qualify for senior but not sure extracurriculars will make the cut
Research: none in med school
Extracurriculars: couple leadership positions and some service (nothing special)
LORs: chairman’s letter; neurology clerkship director; anticipated letter from IM residency program director at my school from sub-I in July
Potentially interested in heme/onc or ICU

Want to stay in the South (or at least somewhere warm), preferably an academic program in a large city.

Georgetown
GW
UVA
VCU
UNC
MUSC
Emory
Tulane
Ochsner (New Orleans)
LSU
UAB
Miami
USF Morsani (Tampa)
Vandy
UT Austin
UTSW
UT Houston
UT San Antonio
Baylor
UCSD
Cedars-Sinai
USC
UCLA
University of Arizona (Tucson)

I feel like this list may be top heavy. Any lower tier academic programs in the south worth considering?

Thanks!

You need some research ASAP. You would probably be competitive at some of the stronger programs but many of these programs will look the other way without even making an effort to do some research. So join a lab or get involved in some clinical research, even if you don't have anything published by the time you apply it will go a long way.

Heme/onc is a very heavy research field. So, another reason to get involved now.

You need some research ASAP. You would probably be competitive at some of the stronger programs but many of these programs will look the other way without even making an effort to do some research. So join a lab or get involved in some clinical research, even if you don't have anything published by the time you apply it will go a long way.

Heme/onc is a very heavy research field. So, another reason to get involved now.

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, there isn't much time before September 15 to meaningfully get involved in any research, especially with my sub-i in July. Are there any programs I should drop based on my lack of research? Lower tier programs I should add?

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, there isn't much time before September 15 to meaningfully get involved in any research, especially with my sub-i in July. Are there any programs I should drop based on my lack of research? Lower tier programs I should add?

No reason to drop any but if you could, see if you can lay the groundwork to start something before September.